• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel Galaxy |OT| 2nd star to the right, straight on 'til morning.

Dommel

rebel2.JPG

Developer: Double Damage Games
Price: $20/€20
Release Date:
PC Oct 20th 2015 (NA/EU)
PS4 (US) 5th January 2016
XB1 (US) 12th January 2016
PS4 (EU) 12th January (tentative, could be 19th) 2016
Platforms: PC Steam / GoG, PS4/XB1
Genre: Epic Space Combat ARPG
Reviews: Metacritic

leviathan.jpg

EPIC SPACE COMBAT
You’ve played space games before… You chased the reticle, fired your lasers, launched a missile or two. Just a tiny ship amid the chaos of the battlefield.

Not anymore.

Now with Rebel Galaxy, you’re in control of an enormous destroyer, bristling with weaponry, firing massive broadside volleys, burning holes in cruisers, and bringing down fighters by the score.

Or you will be if you can just earn a few extra credits.

Maybe the militia won’t bother to scan your hold.

announce-shot.jpg
nebula.jpg

Double Damage Games?

Double Damage Games is headed by Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer. Schaefer co-founded Blizzard North where he was involved creating Diablo. He then co-founded Flagship Studios known for Hellgate: London. Baldree joined Flagship Studios where he worked on Mythos.

They teamed up to form Runic Games known for the Torchlight series.

Now they're back with Rebel Galaxy

bartender.jpg
stellarmap.jpg

Videos
Announcement Trailer

Let's Play with the developers

Giant Bomb's Unfinished

Giant Bomb's Quick Look

Reviews;

Angry Centaur Gaming
IGN
Coin-Op TV
Gone With The Win
Eurogamer

Soundtrack on Spotify

My first OT, short and simple. I'll update later with reviews. Please be gentle.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I, somehow, knew i'd leave this thread poorer than i entered it.

Augh, it's not actually out yet. Bought too fast to notice. Tomorrow!

bati

I asked Travis (one of the developers) how the loot works in their game, how the ship hulls are different from one another and how in general their game compares to classic arpgs and their mechanics and he was kind enough to answer:

Items are static, with varied availability - their appearance in stations is gated by faction, regional difficulty, and so on. Some are further gated by your rank in a guild. Same for ships.

So, personally, I don't consider it an ARPG, not in the sense that I'd normally call anything an ARPG. I consider it a space trader with more conversation stuff. Weirdly it has more 'roleplaying' than any of the ARPGs I've worked on, because you really can play it evil, and you really do have conversation choices that affect outcomes. But that's not really what you're asking about.

Here's how ships/stuff works.

The ships each have different sizes and maneuverability, hull/shield strengths, speeds, broadside ports, secondary ports, subsystem slots, and turret mounts.
Playing a dreadnaught is a lot different than playing a corvette. In a dreadnaught, you're going to get hit, you're not that maneuverable, but you have a ton of firepower - up to 16 turrets, and 20 broadsides per side. A corvette has a handful of turrets, and a few broadside ports, but is nimble enough to dodge, to legitimately block shots with battlefield obstructions, and it's just a heck of a lot easier for enemies to miss.

I don't think bigger is better. It's definiteley different though. I usually work my way up to, and play with, a mid-sized frigate that is maneuverable and has a reasonable number of turrets.

You can buy different hull/shield/deflectors, and soup up a small ship to make it quite viable. Lots of people like the Barracuda, which only has a couple of broadside ports, and really not that many turrets, but it's fast as hell. It sure doesn't feel anything like flying a dreadnaught.

Your weapon choices I think have a lot do with how you play - whether you prefer extreme long range weaponry, or whether you get up close, whether you lay mines and detonate them from a distance, how you manage turrets (do you actively control them or leave them to the ai?)

For instance, I constantly switch between turrets and broadsides. I also buy ordnance targeting, and individually pick off torpedoes before they can get close (or sometimes I get the subsystem that absorbs concussive damage if it hits a deflector and uses it to recharge shields). I never use mines and favor heat-seeking secondaries, and I tend to fly in close, try and get in the 'pocket' behind a big ship's broadside batteries and chisel through really fast. I also tend to pick beam turrets off of big ships before closing in.

I think there's a pretty good variety of combat approaches though, and Erich never does loadouts like I do.

Some people play with no broadsides AT ALL, which works for them :)

Thanks for the OT. I was hoping this was going to get one.

I can't wait to play it tomorrow. Spent an hour watching videos of the early game yesterday and this game is really doing it for me.

I just love that 2D plane movement and some good old inertia and that naval style ship combat.

Only problem I have is Life is Strange Episode 5 is also out. First world problems.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, what exactly is this game? I'm somewhat excited for it, I know how it plays but I'm not certain what you do in it. Is it a rogue-like? Is there a story? Are there objectives?

So, what exactly is this game? I'm somewhat excited for it, I know how it plays but I'm not certain what you do in it. Is it a rogue-like? Is there a story? Are there objectives?
I've not played it, but there is a story with quests and objectives.

It's not a rogue like in the sense you get one life and it's back to the beginning again, but there maybe some randomly generated content. Anyone?

Karak

My Review: Rated it a Buy and its a fantastic little title.
REVIEW

There is more going on than meets the eye here as well when it comes to little things they put in the game that you might not expect for a title like this.

Fireblend

Banned
I had the chance to be part of the trial period a couple of months ago and absolutely loved what I got to play of the game. Will buy very soon.

Karak

I've not played it, but there is a story with quests and objectives.

maybe some randomly generated content. Anyone?
The world and its inventories supplies are continuously adjusting(trading) as are different turf wars(factions battling it out and taking territory) and mini missions.

styl3s

Just finished the Giant Bomb quick look at it sold me on it.

This is the Cowboy Bebop/Firefly game i always wanted.

Phionoxx

Can't wait to dive into this. Anyone know if the Steam unlock time is set to a global release, or if it is by region?

Dommel

It seems this game is flying under everybody's radar, there should be a lot more interest in a game like this after the genre making a comeback with Elite & Star Citizen right?

Updated the OP with reviews linked here and some other ones I found.

5taquitos

It seems this game is flying under everybody's radar, there should be a lot more interest in a game like this after the genre making a comeback with Elite & Star Citizen right?

Updated the OP with reviews linked here and some other ones I found.

From my limited knowledge of this game based on a few videos, I don't think this has much in common with Elite or Star Citizen, other than featuring space ships?

Rosur

Really thinking of picking this up on the PS4 as enjoyed the GB quick look, their a physical PS4 version, or would the PC be better to get?

Dommel

From my limited knowledge of this game based on a few videos, I don't think this has much in common with Elite or Star Citizen, other than featuring space ships?

Not much in common but in a genre where we had nothing for so long you'd think the drought would be real and every title would get a certain amount of attention. Especially when all signs are positive that this will be a really great game at that price.

Arttemis

I was hyped at the description, but man, the gameplay videos just don't feel like the Battlestar Galactica game I was hoping it was.

Phionoxx

Is it just me or can you not actually buy the game yet on either Steam or GoG? Just shows an unlock timer in Steam. No option to purchase the game - I know it isn't out until tomorrow but should be able to preorder? Guess doing a preload is out of the question too.

yatesl

I'm pumped for this game.

If only they managed to fit in some on foot gameplay (even just walking round a bazaar), and it'd be the Firefly game I always wanted.

BrettWeir

Is it just me or can you not actually buy the game yet on either Steam or GoG? Just shows an unlock timer in Steam. No option to purchase the game - I know it isn't out until tomorrow but should be able to preorder? Guess doing a preload is out of the question too.

Nope. Rationale is "there's nothing special in pre-ordering, so there's no point". Which sucks imo, as I'd love to pre-load.

I wonder how much larger the universe is compared to Galaxy on Fire. Loved GoF.

c0Zm1c

Nope. Rationale is "there's nothing special in pre-ordering, so there's no point". Which sucks imo, as I'd love to pre-load.

I wonder how much larger the universe is compared to Galaxy on Fire. Loved GoF.

It's only "about 2GB" to download (from the questions/answers thread on Steam) so I don't think they could offer pre-load anyway.

Par Score

Eurogamer Review - "My life as a mercenary-cum-trader"

A lot less glowing than other coverage, but I'm the type that enjoys the space-trucker feel of these games that seems to have put this reviewer off.

I imagine he wouldn't enjoy something like Euro Truck Simulator either.

drotahorror

Watched the whole giantbomb preview of this (a rarity for me), it definitely looks interesting. Like a more casual space trade combat game. Which is good because I can't get into the hardcore ones.

BrettWeir

It's only "about 2GB" to download (from the questions/answers thread on Steam) so I don't think they could offer pre-load anyway.

Yeah. I mainly wanted to so I could wake up and play it right away this morning. Little did I know that it won't even be available until noon my time. Was hoping it would have unlocked/up for sale at midnight EST or even 3am EST.

It's a hard knock life.

Cowie

I'm on board after watching the GB Quick Look. This looks like it hits the sweet spot of just the right amount of depth for my attention span, which isn't incredibly common in the world(universe?) of space exploration/combat.

Aaron D.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the viability of k/m control.

I'm on a laptop and rarely, if ever, pull out my 360 pad.

Top Bottom