• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reclarification] FIFA 14 only coming with Day 1 Xbox Ones in Europe (maybe?)

Durante

Right, labels.

fifarbuul.png

EGM1966

I literally cannot keep up with the details around XB1 at the moment - feels like trying to understand what's available day one when you boot up at home is impossible.

Jotaka

So many conditions...

if (preOrder && dayOneBundle && preOrderBeforeAug20th && tier1EuropeanCountry && supplyLast)
printf("Free Fifa!");
else
printf("No Fifa for you!");

amOPL3v.jpg

So many conditions...

if (preOrder && dayOneBundle && preOrderBeforeAug20th && tier1EuropeanCountry && supplyLast)
printf("Free Fifa!");
else
printf("No Fifa for you!");

amOPL3v.jpg

Preorder before 20th August has nothing to do with free Fifa 14. It's the date that decides whether tier 2 Europe folks will get compensated for the launch delay.

I thought it was pretty clear when they announced it. Anyone in Europe that preordered before the August 20th delay announcement got FIFA.

What's so confusing? Oh now they have said "everyone" and then backtracked that statement a bit.....

Somebody tweet Major Nelson..

Jotaka

So.... MS will give maximum of ~500k copies of the game. [I think it will be sub 400k]

Sony said they have more than 1 million global pre-orders and that would included all sku... I don't think MS would have half of that number just in just "day one SKU"

madmackem

I thought it was pretty clear when they announced it. Anyone in Europe that preordered before the August 20th delay announcement got FIFA.

What's so confusing? Oh now they have said "everyone" and then backtracked that statement a bit.....

Somebody tweet Major Nelson..

It wasnt clear at all look back on the thread to what they said, they never said limited to day one version as that version has ran out places sometime ago, they said preorders not preorders only for the day one edition.

Pain

Banned
It wasnt clear at all look back on the thread to what they said, they never said limited to day one version as that version has ran out places sometime ago, they said preorders not preorders only for the day one edition.
After Gamescome they restocked the retailers with more Day 1 editions. Didn't last more than a few days though. Take Amazon for example, go to be product page. Only the Day 1 editions have a FIFA 14 cover on the box. It's not that hard to understand......

Dlacy13g

Why is it that this console cycle microsoft can't do anything right? I mean they are flubbing a goddamn pack-in! The point of this pack in is to create more value in the higher price point and to appease customers. Instead they just made every single person who thought they were getting fifa that just found out they aren't reassess whether that pisses them off enough to just cancel the order.

Once they fumbled so badly out the gate with E3 and the reveal.....blood was in the water. I think they have done a lot right since E3. However gamers are critical folk...and fanboys feed off of that too and have been eager to try and turn any good thing into something negative. They made the FIFA deal it was clear to me a day one edition preorder deal. Someone in the community notes a different controller on stage at Gamescom....suddenly "its not what they promised" but I think that's a vocal group making a mountain out of a mole hill. It is a good deal for those that preorder the day one edition console plain and simple.

Jotaka

Once they fumbled so badly out the gate with E3 and the reveal.....blood was in the water. I think they have done a lot right since E3. However gamers are critical folk...and fanboys feed off of that too and have been eager to try and turn any good thing into something negative. They made the FIFA deal it was clear to me a day one edition preorder deal. Someone in the community notes a different controller on stage at Gamescom....suddenly "its not what they promised" but I think that's a vocal group making a mountain out of a mole hill. It is a good deal for those that preorder the day one edition console plain and simple.

No. they didn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOEtvdHoAw#t=1906

Spencer at Gamescom
"
- All pre-orders for Xbox One, this holiday, will include a copy of FIFA 14 at no adicional cost
- All pre-orders to date or stock last
- It's a great value for gamers and we are proudy of parternership with EA...

What I don't understand is why they had to include the term "while supplies last." It makes no sense, aren't they giving people redemption codes for a digital purchase?
Why would they run out of codes?

CTLance

What I don't understand is why they had to include the term "while supplies last." It makes no sense, aren't they giving people redemption codes for a digital purchase?
Why would they run out of codes?
It's the usual get-out-of-jail defence against anything and everything. It's shorthand for "what we said before may not apply to all of our customers". It's lawyerspeak.

That's not to say MS is at fault for using it, it's a very common addition to PR stuff and other publicly "binding" statements.

I can not comprehend how this console has as many cheerleaders as it does here on GAF when MS consistently pulls shit like this.

Stockholm Syndrome?

Dlacy13g

It's the usual get-out-of-jail defence against anything and everything. It's shorthand for "what we said before may not apply to all of our customers". It's lawyerspeak.

That's not to say MS is at fault for using it, it's a very common addition to PR stuff and other publicly "binding" statements.

I am sure EA also played a part in limiting the amount of games in the deal.

Thank you for the clarification, that makes sense. I'd still think that they would want to avoid adding any more confusion, given how much they've bungled the launch of this thing.

I do not see how this is confusing, GAF.

FIFA 14 is FREE to all Day One Edition Xbox One's which will be the launch version of the console for Pre-Orders only. All Xbox One consoles in the first few days are Day One. After the first week, FIFA 14 is no longer free because Pre-Orders were taken, and Day One consoles are gone, and only the standard Xbox One is left.

While supplies last because you can only receive FIFA 14 while Day One console are in supply.

It seems simple to me.

That chart isn't right because it isn't just Day One editions.

Are you in Tier 1 Europe?
Did you pre-order?
Did supplies last?
You get FIFA!

EDIT: JK, Day 1 only!

That chart isn't right because it isn't just Day One editions.

Are you in Tier 1 Europe?
Did you pre-order?
Did supplies last?
You get FIFA!

But Graeme Boyd just said that's not true. From the OP:

Graeme Boyd @AceyBongos

@brownmurder That's incorrect. Day One Editions only. I've let the team on that Twitter account know.

He makes it clear that its Day One Editions only. Unless something has changed, I don't see how the OP is wrong.

Someone is wrong here and I'd like to think Microsoft's marketing manager or something is wrong, considering how shit they've been this whole year. If he's right, then I have no idea why they struck this deal with EA.

Shahed

I don't get it. Why is it for those who get the Day One edition only? Isn't the FIFA deal meant to provide an incentive for people to pre-order an X1 in order to boost their numbers? What's the point in giving it only to those people who are on board already?

Shiggy

Yes, only with Day 1 editions. That's what they told retailers. But who'd choose the normal version over the Day 1 edition anyway when it's the same price?

lol - you are a great example of how confusing MS has been...

Fifa 14 free for Day One Edition only

But Graeme Boyd just said that's not true. From the OP:

He makes it clear that its Day One Editions only. Unless something has changed, I don't see how the OP is wrong.

Someone is wrong here and I'd like to think Microsoft's marketing manager or something is wrong, considering how shit they've been this whole year. If he's right, then I have no idea why they struck this deal with EA.
Jeeze, Microsoft marketing department is so bad
So many jumbled messages on this topic

OTIX

I really love the posters saying how simple it is, when each of them have a different interpretation.

Honestly, this Day 1 nonsense does as much damage to their brand as any kind of drm annoucement.

"what do you mean i dont get FIFA14?"

"Only day 1 editions get it sir - while stocks last"

"But this is a day one edition - Did the console not come out bloody today?"

"Yes sir but it is not a branded Day 1 edition. That what you need for the free game. Would you like to buy it? we still have copies for £55"

"I just spent £425 on a console, im not buying games as well. I was under the impression that I was getting a free game as part of the deal"

"Im sorry sir, nothing I can do. Day one editions only"

"Ok. how much is a PS4 and fifa?"

"£405 sir"

"Do you have stock?"

"Yes"

"Can I swap this purchase for that then?"

"Normally no, but im sure we can do it this one time"

NB: I know this is a extreme case, but I see this conversation happening in GAME stores around the country come November.

Jeels

What I don't get is the requirement that it must have been preordered around a certain date. If the FIFA thing not meant to boost preorders? If its merely meant to maintain current preorders, is a deal with EA really worth it? Those folks have clearly already preordered...

Jotaka

What I don't get is the requirement that it must have been preordered around a certain date. If the FIFA thing not meant to boost preorders? If its merely meant to maintain current preorders, is a deal with EA really worth it? Those folks have clearly already preordered...

Its keep the xbox pre-orders already in place and lure the people who are unaware of "only Day 1 Edition". And you can be sure there are people who get be surprised when they don't find the FIFA code inside their boxes.

BigDug13

Honestly, this Day 1 nonsense does as much damage to their brand as any kind of drm annoucement.

"what do you mean i dont get FIFA14?"

"Only day 1 editions get it sir - while stocks last"

"But this is a day one edition - Did the console not come out bloody today?"

"Yes sir but it is not a branded Day 1 edition. That what you need for the free game. Would you like to buy it? we still have copies for £55"

"I just spent £425 on a console, im not buying games as well. I was under the impression that I was getting a free game as part of the deal"

"Im sorry sir, nothing I can do. Day one editions only"

"Ok. how much is a PS4 and fifa?"

"£405 sir"

"Do you have stock?"

"Yes"

"Can I swap this purchase for that then?"

"Normally no, but im sure we can do it this one time"

NB: I know this is a extreme case, but I see this conversation happening in GAME stores around the country come November.

Microsoft's use of the word "one" for everything is pretty confusing in general. Xbox One Day One Edition preordered before Day One and picked up by Day One will get free FIFA and access to unlock Day One achievement with Day One controller.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"stocks didn't last".

Well, whatever. It's just hilarious that once again MS public messaging is completely and utterly bonkers.

Seriously. They really need someone to tape all public-facing mouths shut and only allow for them to say anything once it's been cleared by all relevant departments.

One of these days they'll stumble in a way that'll get them busted for false advertising or something similar. Now that would be a fun day on gaf.

They are teaching me that whatever they say is misleading at best or a lie at worst and will be clarified sooner or later resulting in something quite surely worse than what they led you to believe at first. Most of their announcements followed this pattern or at least more than it is healthy for them to count really.

RedAssedApe

Banned
even with all the different models of consoles for current gen, i never thought i'd need a flowchart to figure stuff out.

Wow that is some fine print that they didn't say when they announced it. How many day one editions were still left when the did it? This seems like it'll backfire when console owners who pre ordered the console won't get Fifa like they were led to believe.

Top Bottom