• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend a X360 game to someone who never played before

fXUY9l.png

Trust me on this one.
Illomilo, Pacman CE DX, and Dance Central.

Complexity of the game doesn't matter as much as the complexity of the controls.

Fable II or III. Serious. My old roommate was a girl who never played games before other than playing Mario with her brother. She loved Fable because she got the buy houses and decorate them or something like that. Put about 30 hours into just doing that alone.

LQX

Is she online? There should be no excuse for over looking XBLA considering every game has a demo.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think a girl would like portal actually.

Yeah I would suggest it. My girlfriend loves Portal — mostly because of GLADOS' character, but still.

I'd also suggest Pac-Man, because everyone loves Pac-Man, and Geometry Wars, which is simple to control but very addictive and challenging.

Wario64
Banned
(Yesterday, 09:08 PM)

D= ...what the! Yeah, grayed name, no (lol), might be for real-reals.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
haha, yeah.. why though?

Probably death by a thousand cuts. His last post shows he didn't read the OP closely, since the OP's girl obviously has no tastes yet — she's pretty new to gaming. Earlier tonight, he posted in a thread about a patent and said "zzzz boring patent thread zzzz" or something to that effect. Doing stuff like that enough times will get a person banned.

Ikaruga, Bayonetta, Eternal Sonata, Mirror's Edge, UNO, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, Castle Crashers, Guardian Heroes, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Pinball FX2, Castlevania HD, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Dorito's Crash Course (Free!!) and Boom Boom Rocket are all games I thoroughly enjoyed.

Edit: Actually, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is a really good game for "beginners"; it's not too hard and it is a really rewarding experience to figure out stuff in it. Dunno if it's worth 15 dollars to you/her, since it's really short. It's really steep for this game, but as said, the experience and atmosphere of the game are just amazing.
If she does get it, tell her she should add me so we can play the multiplayer (both DLC and non-DLC) together. :3

Alrix

Rayman, Portal, Fable are the best suggestions imo. Could also try Halo anniversary. They're nice and simple.

You could also find out her tastes in movies or something and like, use that. If she's into horror movies you could try Dead Space, etc. That sort of thing.

Mdk7

Anything Kinect (with Dance Central 2 being the best choice).
Rayman Origins.
Beautiful Katamari.
LEGO Games.
...and TONS of games on Live Arcade.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Rez HD, Child of Eden, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Viva Pinata, Portal, Lost Odyssey

Dance Central 2, Happy Action Theater, The Gunstringer (comes with Fruit Ninja Kinect free), Fable 2, Trials Evolution, Ilomilo, Plants Vs Zombies, Rayman Origins, Portal, Viva Pinata, Left 4 Dead (good introduction to an FPS; a lot of chicks love Zombies, it's relatively arcadey and not too hard and you can play co-op with her).

If she has a Kinect then Dance Central, if not what about the Lara Croft XBLA game? It is pretty good fun & can be played co-op so you can join in (also the Lego games for the same reason). If those don't work lend her a DS/Wii/PS2 plenty of choice on those formats she may like.

TheDanger

Banned
Maybe she likes horses, and if she is not ultra girly she would probably love Red Dead Redemption.

My sister likes sims a lot, but I don't know if they are any good on the 360.

A lot of girls also like Call of Duty because it's pretty simple.

Tain

mega man 9

Seriously. I mean, good, meaty, engaging games that have easy to pick up control schemes seem like better choices than stuff like Peggle or Kinect games.

Damn shame Outrun isn't on XBLA anymore.

fernoca

Well, if she likes (and owns) Guitar Hero and already has an instrument maybe Rock Band 3? (unless she's just burned out of the genre)

Kinect is a good alternative too and there has been deals over the last months at under the $150 price. There are budnles with Fruit Ninja on it too (along Adventures). There's Dance Central and Kinect Sports also.

ilomilo is a good choice too.

Wii Tank

It really depends on what she likes but Portal and the Half Life 2 series in The Orange Box as well as Portal 2 are great to start with

I'd probably avoid FPSs for now, they're not the easiest things to control when you're a complete noob to the genre and haven't had much experience with analogue sticks. There would likely be a lot of looking at the ceiling/ground and frustration involved.

Safer to go for something that's easier to get into and has pretty instant gratification if you're looking to win someone over to different types of games. That's why I think Kinect stuff is a good pick, or games that have a more arcadey feel.

Brashnir

Avoid games that use every button on the controller. I've found that new gamers don't mind games that are hard, but are intimidated by games that make them feel completely lost in the controller.

That said, here's some suggestions:

Castle Crashers
Rayman: Origins
Lego Games (Pick one based on a movie series she likes. they're all the same game, really)
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (or regular PMCE)

Ahasverus

The Witcher 2 lol
Nah seriously.. Viva Piñata or Banjo Kazooie some of the Lego games (Pirates will do the trick) etc
Also The Sims 3 on Consoles is pretty solid :)

Guri

Forgot about Portal and Portal 2! I really suggest the indie games too, such as Braid, Super Meat Boy, Limbo...

Mephala

I suggest using what movies she likes as an indication of genres and settings she might prefer. Try the waters with some arcade games to see what she likes.

I recommend these on top of what others have suggested:

Warriors Orochi 3
Lord of The Rings: War in The North
Red Dead Redemption
Lost Odyssey
Fable

Maybe Borderlands if you think she might like FPS and Loot.

XBLA games:
Worms
Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light
Dungeon Defenders
Scott Pilgrim

Raoh

With clean slates I point people to their consoles store and have them download almost every demo imaginable.

They like it, they buy it.

mega man 9

Seriously. I mean, good, meaty, engaging games that have easy to pick up control schemes seem like better choices than stuff like Peggle or Kinect games.

Damn shame Outrun isn't on XBLA anymore.

At least Outrun 2 is BC I suppose.

vixlar

My recomendations:

UNO (online)
The Texas Poker game from Microsoft (online)
Zuma
A world of keflings
Raskulls
Ilomilo
Peggle
Pinball Fx2
Pinball Arcade (Even I don't understand how to play pinball games, but they are fantastic)
Portal
Portal 2 (coop)
Toy Soldiers
Plants vs Zombies (coop)
TNT racers
Doritos Crash Course (and it is free)

The Hermit

Trials Evolution

Also, this is kinda dumb since we don't know what her tastes are

HOLY SHIT wario is banned?!

wth

Probably death by a thousand cuts. His last post shows he didn't read the OP closely, since the OP's girl obviously has no tastes yet — she's pretty new to gaming. Earlier tonight, he posted in a thread about a patent and said "zzzz boring patent thread zzzz" or something to that effect. Doing stuff like that enough times will get a person banned.

oh

Top Bottom