• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a Kirby game...

sfried

InfiniteNine said:
Never played a Kirby game, and I was wondering which one is a collection of Kirby games so I can get started sometime?
By the looks of this thread, and in the one at toastyfrog talktime, I'd say Kirby's Adventure.

Funny nobody has recommended the first game (Kirby's Dreamland).

Boney

Banned
sfried said:
Funny nobody has recommended the first game (Kirby's Dreamland).
Because it isn't that good. You can't even copy abilities!

But yeah, Adventure is the best Kirby game (there's the GBA remake that let's you play as Meta Kight as well).

If you're up for it, Canvas Curse is great and feels like a Kirby game but in a very fresh way. Squeak Squad is fun but nothing special, recommend the others first, but still a fun game.

Dream Land 2 hasn't aged that well, but it's still fun, and probably better that SS.

Dream Land 3 and 64 on the other hand I do not recommend, at least before playing any of other games. DL3 looks beautiful, but that's all there is to it, the animal gimick feel worse because there's just too damn many in this one, and the game feels slow as hell. Finding all the secrets is rewarding though, but really it's nothing special.

Kirby 64 only good things it has going for it is that it's a sidescroller on the N64 and you can combine powers.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
From the 3 I'd recommend Adventure and 64. Dreamland 3 just didn't do it for me, it felt real slow compared to the others which I disliked, and I didn't like the puzzles and secrets at all compared with the ones in 64.

That being said Adventure is definitely the best and the one you'll want for the most "Kirby like" experience, but 64 is also very good with the combo system.

And for best soundtrack, I think I'd give it to Kirby 64 actually.

bard

Ninja Scooter said:
the one where he swallows stuff
I played that one!! :-O

BUT SRSLY... Kirby's Adventure is the winner. For a non-standard Kirby game, Canvas Curse is such a great experience, you can't go wrong with it.

sfried

SirSwirl said:
From the 3 I'd recommend Adventure and 64. Dreamland 3 just didn't do it for me, it felt real slow compared to the others which I disliked, and I didn't like the puzzles and secrets at all compared with the ones in 64.

That being said Adventure is definitely the best and the one you'll want for the most "Kirby like" experience, but 64 is also very good with the combo system.

And for best soundtrack, I think I'd give it to Kirby 64 actually.
Too late. I just got (and finished) Dreamland 3. Didn't find it that bad. I dunno about the whole "slow" thing. If you ask me, playing Fragile Dreams is much, much more slower than this (the reason I needed to pause from that game every now and then). Very nice soundtrack.

Somebody also mentioned Kirby 64 as being "slow", but I'll definitely will get to Adventure first.

Doorman

sfried said:
Somebody also mentioned Kirby 64 as being "slow", but I'll definitely will get to Adventure first.
Might have just been me, but I always felt that Kirby's movement speed in 64 was slow. It's like even his full-on dash barely covers ground. Having the different power combinations is fun to screw around with, but once the novelty of that wears off it basically plays out like the other Kirby games--find a couple of powers you like and pretty much stick with them throughout the game.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
sfried said:
Too late. I just got (and finished) Dreamland 3. Didn't find it that bad. I dunno about the whole "slow" thing. If you ask me, playing Fragile Dreams is much, much more slower than this (the reason I needed to pause from that game every now and then). Very nice soundtrack.

Heh, never played Fragile so can't really compare the 2, but congrats at finishing it, I still haven't finished the last world sadly.

sfried

SirSwirl said:
Heh, never played Fragile so can't really compare the 2, but congrats at finishing it, I still haven't finished the last world sadly.
Last stage of the last world was definitely the best, if not fast paced.
It's sort of like a MegaMan Boss Rush of sorts.

I also love the
real
end music. So happy and soothing. Jun Ishikawa is definitely one of those underrated video game composers that needs to be credited more.
DrAndonuts said:
Go for Kirby Super Star on the SNES. Loved that game.
I already have that game. Played it to death. Needed something lighter and took less time to complete.

DL3 seem to fit that bill, but maybe I should've stuck with Adventure first.

Let me in

Kirby's Adventure or Kirby's Dream Land 3. I would actually recommend against Kirby 64, it was not fun for me. The other two are classic, though.

sfried

Let me in said:
Kirby's Adventure or Kirby's Dream Land 3. I would actually recommend against Kirby 64, it was not fun for me. The other two are classic, though.
Let me ask, did you play Dreamland 3 co-operatively or just single player? I felt that this game is something to be enjoyed more with a buddy than just playing it solo, especially with those mini-games.

Likewise, my new Kirby backlog (oh dear, what have I done) is as follows:
1. Adventure
2. Canvas Curse
3. 64: The Crystal Shards

I already have:
1. Super Star
2. Dreamland 3
3. Tilt 'n Tumble
4. Air Ride

(Also, I was just reading this other post out of curiosity, and it's interesting to note the franchises whole similarity with Sonic, except that Kirby has remained good at worst. And I think I know why: Many of the characters introduced never seem to come back.)

MCX

Banned
kirbydream.jpg

Teppic

Kirby's Adventure is the best one, followed by Kirby's Dream Land 2.

Kirby's Adventure is the easiest of the two. Play Dream Land 2 if you want a little more challenge.

sfried

Teppic said:
Kirby's Adventure is the best one, followed by Kirby's Dream Land 2.

Kirby's Adventure is the easiest of the two. Play Dream Land 2 if you want a little more challenge.
Thanks for the recommendation. I was about to probably go for Dreamland 2 next, but maybe later (How much does a copy of it usually fetch for nowdays?).

Doorman

Kirby's Pinball Land was another game boy game...maybe game boy color? I don't quite remember. I do remember it being pretty fun though.

MCX said:
[Kirby's Dream Course]
A very fun game, and also one that came full of frustration for me. This is probably one of the first games that really made me rage hard, but don't let that from discouraging you if you get the opportunity to try it out.

Cdammen

I got 500 Wii points through the PAL ambassador deal and spent it on Kirby's Adventure. I really like it. It's fast, fun and has some catchy tunes. I'm only at the second "world" though, so I don't know if the quality will be constant.

(EDIT) Yeah the first game isn't that great. It's slow and you can't copy abilities.

D-Pad

sfried said:
Is Dreamcourse really that good? How does that Star Stacker/Kirakirawhatever compare?

Dreamcourse is like a golf game. It's really fun. Like golf, each stage has a set par you try to make/beat. But you have to knock out all of the enemies on the stage, before you can knock Kirby into the hole. Knocking into some enemies gives Kirby abilities to use during a shot (I.e, using the Tornado ability allows kirby to hover for a while, spike allows him to insta-stop,etc). You have to use these abilities to make it across some of the stages.

The first stages get you warmed up to the whole game, and then it gets pretty rough. Again, you try to clear the stage in as little shots as possible. This is the addicting part, because you keep trying new ways to point and shoot Kirby. By aiming right and "chaining" enemies you can do some very impressive shots. Here is a video of someone Hole-in-One'ing the first course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUic46uZwj8

I'd recommend it if you have points to spare.

sfried said:
How does Dreamland 3 compare?

Speaking of which, which games in the series have the best soundtrack. I could already tell that perhaps Super Star (Ultra) would have that credit knowing the number of people who have remixed its tunes, but are there others?

Comparing the 3 Kirby's Dreamland games, I'd rank 3 above 2. I played the Kirby games in their natural progression and playing Kirby's Dreamland 2 after Kirby's Adventure was just so disappointing. The levels really didn't click for me, and the powers were disappointing. Kirby's Dreamland 3 felt like Dreamland 2 done right.

Getting the Rainbow Drops was the only thing that was kind of challenging in Kirby's Dreamland 2.

I really suck at this game. I can't even get pass the first world.

Kirby's Dreamland 2 is great, I loved it as a kid, it's definitely the best among the Kirby games I played.

Btw, this thread made me remember I still haven't played Canvas Curse:(

OMG Aero

I've got to say Kirby 64.
Kirby's Adventure is a good game but it just seems unplayable to me having playing the GBA remake first. The last time I played it on Virtual Console the game started to slow down whenever there were upwards of 3 enemies on screen at the same time.

OMG Aero said:
I've got to say Kirby 64.
Kirby's Adventure is a good game but it just seems unplayable to me having playing the GBA remake first. The last time I played it on Virtual Console the game started to slow down whenever there were upwards of 3 enemies on screen at the same time.

That's slow-down due to the old NES hardware.

I was gonna say Super Star, but it isn't on your list.

Uh... I guess all I can say is: stay away from 64 unless you're a superfan, and if you're going to play Adventure, play Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA), which is a remake and a great game.

I thought he was talking about fire Kirby. I reread what he wrote, and yeah, I don't ever recall slow down where there were 3 enemies on screen.

sfried

D-Pad said:
Dreamcourse is like a golf game. It's really fun. Like golf, each stage has a set par you try to make/beat. But you have to knock out all of the enemies on the stage, before you can knock Kirby into the hole. Knocking into some enemies gives Kirby abilities to use during a shot (I.e, using the Tornado ability allows kirby to hover for a while, spike allows him to insta-stop,etc). You have to use these abilities to make it across some of the stages.

The first stages get you warmed up to the whole game, and then it gets pretty rough. Again, you try to clear the stage in as little shots as possible. This is the addicting part, because you keep trying new ways to point and shoot Kirby. By aiming right and "chaining" enemies you can do some very impressive shots. Here is a video of someone Hole-in-One'ing the first course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUic46uZwj8

I'd recommend it if you have points to spare.
Right now I'm a little short on points, and my next batch will be oing towards Cave Story and Sin & Punishment. But I'll keep it in mind in the coming months.

Night_Trekker said:
I was gonna say Super Star, but it isn't on your list.

Uh... I guess all I can say is: stay away from 64 unless you're a superfan, and if you're going to play Adventure, play Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA), which is a remake and a great game.
I already have Super Star and it's my go to when I usually want my fix, but I thought of playing something different this time around (Super Star Ultra is just too jampacked it'll end up just being part of my backlog of "games I need to get 100%").

So people are rather split on 64, either because it's too easy or slow. Oddly enough, Dreamland 3 was actually quite a challenge at times (some enemy placement seems to have ripped its pages off early Castlevania games) and forced you to use run.

Boney

Banned
sfried said:
Right now I'm a little short on points, and my next batch will be oing towards Cave Story and Sin & Punishment. But I'll keep it in mind in the coming months.
Please do.

sfried

What others can you recommend? I see alot of acclaim for Adventure, plenty for Canvas Curse, quite many towards Dream Course, Dreamland 2, and then lots of people having fond memories about 64.

I've been thinking about tracking Dreamland 2, but don't know how much I'm expected to pay for it. I hope it's not like Shantae (in price, that is).

Boney

Banned
I wouldn't think Dream Land 2 would be as expensive as Shantae. You could wait for a VC version for the 3DS or try to hunt it down. But if you have access to the far superior Adventure or the fresh Canvas Curse, I don't see why you would want to track Dream Land 2 first.

Also, Squeak Squad is better than Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64.

Syril

sfried said:
What others can you recommend? I see alot of acclaim for Adventure, plenty for Canvas Curse, quite many towards Dream Course, Dreamland 2, and then lots of people having fond memories about 64.

I've been thinking about tracking Dreamland 2, but don't know how much I'm expected to pay for it. I hope it's not like Shantae (in price, that is).

Here's an eBay listing for Dreamland 2. I've got a lot of fond memories of that one, what with it being the first one I played, but I'd recommend Adventure personally. There are more powers with more variety.

Solune

sfried said:

Glad to hear you went with Dreamland 3 =). It's highly underrated in my opinion and has alot of cool cameos in the stages.
(Samus anyone?)
You should definitely play Dreamland 2, it's also one of my favorite Kirby games.
Especially since you seemed to enjoy Dreamland 3. You'll like the last boss fight and getting the rainbow cigars.

InfiniteNine said:
Never played a Kirby game, and I was wondering which one is a collection of Kirby games so I can get started sometime?

Depends whats you're looking for, but if you want a good traditional Kirby experience, either Kirby's Adventure or Kirby Super Star.

Boney

Banned
Definately. It's a better game and although it isn't a traditional Kirby game, it feels like one. You'll probably love it, but there is a minority who don't like the game. (My guess is that they don't know how to control it well).

sfried

Boney said:
Definately. It's a better game and although it isn't a traditional Kirby game, it feels like one. You'll probably love it, but there is a minority who don't like the game. (My guess is that they don't know how to control it well).
Or despise stylus control.

I've looked at some videos on Super Star Ultra and noticed bombs now have an aiming feature as well as a tag feature. I'm not so sure the latter was in the original game (there's so much I have yet to discover about techniques).

You can definitely aim bombs in the original version, as for tagging, I have no idea what you're referring to. The bomb does have a few more abilities than just simply throwing them.

sfried

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Tagging is probably planting bombs directly on enemies. It was always in the original.
Really? I never knew you could do that.

And is it just me, or do bombs actually look game breaking in Ultra? (I've also heard they gimped the Spark ability.)

Solune

sfried said:
Really? I never knew you could do that.

And is it just me, or do bombs actually look game breaking in Ultra? (I've also heard they gimped the Spark ability.)

I think what you're referring to as "tagging" enemies with bombs is actually the grab ability of the Bomb.
If you look at the ability list of the power you're using you will see some of the moves are in brackets i.e (near enemy).
I don't remember the exact number of abilities that have grabs off the top of my head but the ones I know are: Ice, Parasol, Jet, Bomb, Ninja.
I'm pretty sure there's more but my memory fails me.

Let me in

sfried said:
Let me ask, did you play Dreamland 3 co-operatively or just single player? I felt that this game is something to be enjoyed more with a buddy than just playing it solo, especially with those mini-games.

Single player. I really dug the visual style and I liked the use of the animal friends. Mostly the gameplay was classic Kirby and that's what I really liked about it.

Top Bottom