• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some rap/hip-hop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mhm yeah I got the perfect songs for you.

If this is your first time hearin' this
You are about to experience somethin' so cold, man

Listen to The College Dropout by Kanye. Old school Ye.

DangerStepp

Check anything that isn't J. Cole.

People will tell you he's good, but they're lying to you.

Listen to XXX by Danny Brown and I highly suggest listening to Kanye's discography from the beginning--it's a ride.

jehuty

Devastatin' Dave
Viper
Silkk the shocker
shaggy 2 dope

All you need to start your quest in great Hip-hop!!!

DangerStepp

He's not bad he's just the San Antonio Spurs of Hip-Hop if that makes any sense.
That's fair. I don't hate him, I've just been burned by folks hyping him up and telling me he's fire.

Then I listened to the Born Sinner and was done; I skipped the next few albums and then tried 4 Your Eyez Only... :\

I've been told FHD is good so I'm willing to give him another chance at some point.

Listen to Lil Wayne Tha Carter 3 (and 2 if you need more). If you're behind on hip hop and listening for the first time it will blow your mind.
I personally prefer Tha Carter 2 to 3 but that's just me.

<3 'Receipt'

JZA

After listening to all the other recommendations in this thread, buy tickets to see the Roots in concert and listen for the medley that they usually do towards the end, it's always lots of popular hip hop or pop songs and it's always a crowd pleaser.

tabs2002

Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers and Wu-Tang Forever
Dr Dre - The Chronic and 2001
Outkast - Stankonia
A Tribe Called Quest - Anthology

sasliquid

Still no love for Public Enemy?

"It takes a nation of millions to hold us back"/"Fear of a black planet" maybe the greatest 1-2 punch in HipHop

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The Spurs are an entertaining team and have been since 2009

Jermaine is boring as shit.

I wouldn't go as far to say he's boring but I get those that says he is. He would be a dope change of pace part of like a 3 or 4 man squad. When I think of J.Cole I'm reminded of Blu and Exile "Below the Heavens" for some reason. Think I heard them both the same year. BTW, that album is really really dope, although I can't remember if BLU was slept on or lost fans since that "Jesus" project (which I liked a lot)

I enjoy Aquemeni, but it doesn't hit hard for me after the title track, I want to love it a lot more but can't.
Thanks for the recommendations so far!

Currently listen to Aquemeni and liking it so far.

Plan for the next days: Enter the Wu-Tang, Ready to Die, Something Jay-Z

Will try to listen to most of the other stuff, too.
Hope you chose Reasonable Doubt, Jay's my favorite rapper and that's my favorite Jay album (second favorite is 2007's American Gangster), make sure to go through his discography one day.
Just search Big L on Youtube and feast on the results.
meh
After listening to all the other recommendations in this thread, buy tickets to see the Roots in concert and listen for the medley that they usually do towards the end, it's always lots of popular hip hop or pop songs and it's always a crowd pleaser.
Check out Jay Z MTV Unplugged if you want to hear the roots doing popular Hip Hop songs, Questlove became a friend of and huge Jay Z Stan after this.
There's also a great bonus track at the end.
Edit:
Guess I should recommend something, try Ressurection by Common.

Jay Sosa

Lil'Yachty, Lil'Durk, 21 Savage, NBA Young Boy and Lil Uzi Vert.

If you want something more intelligent than either Young Thug or Young Dolph.

It simply doesn't get any better than that.

naib

This was my gateway hip-hop album: Aceyalone - Book of Human Language
Edit: standouts for me are The Balance and The Hurt.

I'd heard and liked some hip-hop but that album took my interest to the next level.

Pleased that Funcrusher Plus has already been plugged.

Edit again: Now I'm going down a youtube rabbit hole. I fucking love this stupid album: Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - No Need For Alarm

You should definitely check out Earl Sweatshirt material. All of it is solid, if a bit heavy. Here's a sample of his most recent, though. His beats are some of the greatest downtempo out there, and his lyrics are fire.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dwZcuwfiCjE
Digging this.

thisbeard

Digging this.

Excellent, man. I also looked into that 90s Del TFH and really dug it, too. Crazy how the only song of his I'd ever heard before was his feature on the Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood"! Other links you posted weren't available in Canada but I'll check it out some other way.

Not sure if you listened to more Earl already but you should check https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jaswRktITWM out. The beat and lyrics are a bit more on the sunny side and it's just an incredibly stellar song. Credit for the killer samples goes to Samiyam, as usual.

Jake.

better:

big l - lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous.
clipse - hell hath no fury.
the diplomats (dipset) - diplomatic immunity.
mobb deep - the infamous.
mike jones - who is mike jones?

next.

zon

Before I recommend anything, you should know that my taste in hip hop is focused on the style/styles of hip hop that was popular in the late 80s and 90s and was developed on the east coast. On wikipedia the time period is called "the golden age of hip hop", I know it sounds pretentious but that's what it's called if you want to delve deeper into the music.

Another vote for Gang Starr. Their albums Hard to Earn and Moment of Truth are their best work imo. You Know My Steez is a personal favourite.

Jeru the Damaja made two classic albums in the 90s called The Sun Rises in the East and Wrath of the Math. Two tracks on the first album are Come Clean and Can't Stop the Prophet.

Pete Rock and C.L. Smooths first album Mecca and the Soul Brother is worth giving a try. On this album you will find a song that time and again has been called one of the very best hip hop songs that has ever been made, it's called They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.).

Black Sheeps first album A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing. Their biggest hit The Choice is Yours is on this album.

Last but not least I recommend Eric B and Rakim. Pretty much their entire discography. This is just some tracks that I like from their albums: Paid in Full, I Ain't No Joke, Microphone Fiend, Don't Sweat the Technique, Juice (Know the Ledge).

Chuckie

GZALiquidSwords.jpg

But listen this last, because it can only go down from here.

Alpende

Mos Def - all of his albums, start at the beginning.
Black Star - Self titled album (It's a Mos Def and Talib Kweli colab and it's glorious).
A Tribe Called Quest - All of their albums

De La Soul
The Roots
Pusha T
Run The Jewels
Action Bronson

Plenty of good stuff out there.

Vex_

Banned
I second this, untitled unmastered is great.

Have you listened to Chance the Rapper at all? Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVkkYlQNmbc

Danny Brown? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNogzmuULLM

Chance the Rapper, just dropped a mixtape yesterday

Chance the Rapper

Chance the Raper

Chance The Rapper's Coloring Book is probably a great one to hit up next. It's the perfect mix of being very very good while also being very accessible to those who aren't super into the genre.

Was about to recommend as this was what I have found myself listening to as of late, but GAF already did my job for me. He isnt your typical crappy artist that makes you want to pour acid intro your ear canal. He gives off good vibes. And Im all about vibin'. Big up!!

I dont like to recommend oldskool stuff, because that can create bad habits of only listening to 90s hip hop. You dont want to do that.

Outkast and early Kanye is the Starter Pack of HipHop. Almost all current, mainstream, radio friendly hip hop can trace their roots or contain significant influence from these two

Late Registration. Stat.

trixx

You should definitely check out Earl Sweatshirt material. All of it is solid, if a bit heavy. Here's a sample of his most recent, though. His beats are some of the greatest downtempo out there, and his lyrics are fire.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dwZcuwfiCjE

I went from absolutely hating odd future wolf gang to this guy becoming one of my favourite artists right now.

To an older person this is probably some teenage angst stuff but to me it reminds me of like Charles Hamilton; just raping about his issues whether it be mental, various addictions, depression whatever.
Very relate-able.

One of my favourite songs by Charles Hamilton (I know I always mention him but love pink lava lamp too much):
https://youtu.be/BpbkX3wO5d8

I think he was diagnosed with schizophrenia when he was in a mental ward; sometime after this tape was released

I only dabble in hip hop a little bit but i have very much enjoyed the Gangrene and Czarface albums after stumbling upon them recently and Blueprint's Vigilante Genesis

Before I recommend anything, you should know that my taste in hip hop is focused on the style/styles of hip hop that was popular in the late 80s and 90s and was developed on the east coast. On wikipedia the time period is called "the golden age of hip hop", I know it sounds pretentious but that's what it's called if you want to delve deeper into the music.

Another vote for Gang Starr. Their albums Hard to Earn and Moment of Truth are their best work imo. You Know My Steez is a personal favourite.

Jeru the Damaja made two classic albums in the 90s called The Sun Rises in the East and Wrath of the Math. Two tracks on the first album are Come Clean and Can't Stop the Prophet.

Pete Rock and C.L. Smooths first album Mecca and the Soul Brother is worth giving a try. On this album you will find a song that time and again has been called one of the very best hip hop songs that has ever been made, it's called They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.).

Black Sheeps first album A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing. Their biggest hit The Choice is Yours is on this album.

Last but not least I recommend Eric B and Rakim. Pretty much their entire discography. This is just some tracks that I like from their albums: Paid in Full, I Ain't No Joke, Microphone Fiend, Don't Sweat the Technique, Juice (Know the Ledge).

I co-sign this post. Especially anyone who recognizes the genius of The Sun Rises in the East.

Lil'Yachty, Lil'Durk, 21 Savage, NBA Young Boy and Lil Uzi Vert.

If you want something more intelligent than either Young Thug or Young Dolph.

It simply doesn't get any better than that.

You forgot Future, but this post good.

No Viper in your recs. Da fuck is wrong with you, breh?

Was about to recommend as this was what I have found myself listening to as of late, but GAF already did my job for me. He isnt your typical crappy artist that makes you want to pour acid intro your ear canal. He gives off good vibes. And Im all about vibin'. Big up!!

I dont like to recommend oldskool stuff, because that can create bad habits of only listening to 90s hip hop. You dont want to do that.

This is why I like Chance the Rapper. His music is so much more relaxed and positive than that of most other popular rappers/hip-hop artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom