• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Record of Agarest War Zero |OT| -- No Naughty Edition This Time!

Volcynika

doJZl.png

PQOSK.png

Long before Summerill and the gods of darkness were defeated in Record of Agarest War, another battle was fought across generations to save the world from evil. Record of Agarest War Zero takes you back to that ancient time…

The war between the forces of darkness and the forces of light, a conflict already many years old, has been fought to a stalemate. In the nation of Kraltarla, the forces of light hold back the evil hordes of darkness spilling from Findeste at the Scarred Mountains, but only just. In a desperate attempt to gain an advantage that could change the course of the war, the generals of the armies of light dispatch their loyal servant Sieghart, whom fate has seen fit to grant a strange and awesome power. Sieghart’s mission takes him across Kraltarla to gather the components for a magical tool that can free the imprisoned blacksmith of the gods, so that he might forge magical artifacts of great and terrible power for the forces of light.

XALrY.png

• Platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
  • Genre: Tactical RPG
  • Publisher: NA: Aksys Games (PS3 and 360) | EU: Ghostlight (PS3)
  • Developer: Idea Factory
  • Release Date: NA: June 14th, 2011 | EU: June 29th, 2011
  • Rating: NA: T for Teen | EU: PEGI 16

Boxarts

lsOdO.png
jGqJ4.jpg

North American LE

zkO4U.gif

European LE

Vodii.jpg

DsLR9.png

• The Prequel to the RPG That Brought You Five Generations of Stories
    The pivotal installment of the multi-generational tale tells the story of what happened in the age before Record of Agarest War, detailing the rise of some to glory, and the fall of others, into darkness.

• Experience “Living Portraits”
    The beautiful, static character portraits from Record of Agarest War are now animated to resemble living and breathing characters. Players will now see Sieghart display emotions of surprise, despair, and joy, among others.

• The Return of the Unique Soul-Breeding System
    Once again, the choice of bride at the end of the first generation further determines the skill sets and weapon of the offspring.

• The Addition of the New Card Skill System
    Players now have more control over the battle style of the main character, as well as his skills, by way of a card system. By picking the appropriate cards, Sieghart can be customized to reflect the type of fighter one wishes to play.

96QQ9.png

[

wsPpD.png

I5cfL.png

• Playstation: The Official Magazine - 6/10

nocwI.png

Does this game have a mouse pad with boobs on it?
Nope, that was the previous games' "Naughty Edition." No shameful purchases here!

Does the game have any VA (English or Japanese)?
It does have VA, but there is no English dub for the game. All Japanese!

I am feeling some kind of a horrible compulsion to buy these game but I have no idea why. Also I didn't even play the first one yet.

notworksafe

Lostconfused said:
I am feeling some kind of a horrible compulsion to buy these game but I have no idea why. Also I didn't even play the first one yet.
This is a prequel, so it's the one to buy if you know nothing about the games storywise.

notworksafe said:
This is a prequel, so it's the one to buy if you know nothing about the games storywise.
Well there is supposed to be a nearby "gamestop" that still has a copy of the first game in stock. I am looking forward to how incredibly awkward its going to be to ask some one working there to go looking for it.

Is the first one any good? Are the pervy elements tolerable for those who dont care for that sort of thing?

And, most importantly, is the price going to drop any further for the first game on PSN?

cj_iwakura

I don't mean to be a hater, as that's a nice OP, but it was developed by Idea Factory.

Their games are generally mediocre at best, with fan service first and all else second.

orion434

Akselziys said:
The game ships to stores tomorrow :D! Who here is picking up the LE? ;)

I will be starting the game tomorrow, got 1000/1000 in the The Record of Agarest War US Xbox 360 version, my friend is playing through that now and I can't wait to start this tomorrow!

Cornbread78

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Is the first one any good? Are the pervy elements tolerable for those who dont care for that sort of thing?

And, most importantly, is the price going to drop any further for the first game on PSN?

Yeah, I second this.... What is the gameplay like for this? Is it worth the PSN download?

EDIT:

"The Return of the Unique Soul-Breeding System
Once again, the choice of bride at the end of the first generation further determines the skill sets and weapon of the offspring"

Huh, wait...what?

larvi

Got this at the top of my Gamefly queue right now, will probably keep it if they ship it to me. I spent a lot of hours on the first and really enjoyed it as a SRPG (which is a pretty under-represented genre on the 360) despite the fan service.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Also, make sure to import your Agarest War 1 post game data if you have it :D!

There will also be some DLC available at launch, with more and more DLC coming out each week after ;)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Akselziys said:
Also, make sure to import your Agarest War 1 post game data if you have it :D!

Does it unlock anything important? I don't think I will be able to finish the first one before I get Zero. I'm still at the beginning of the second generation.

Akselziys said:
There will also be some DLC available at launch, with more and more DLC coming out each week after ;)

Yay. Anything that actually adds to the game or just the "buy stats for money" kind?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Jucksalbe said:
Does it unlock anything important? I don't think I will be able to finish the first one before I get Zero. I'm still at the beginning of the second generation.

Yeah, you can use it to
unlock the "Door of Destiny" that lets you play a digest version of Agarest War 1 and its characters, which unlock as you play through Zero. Though you should be able to unlock the Door of Destiny by importing post Agarest War Zero data by beating the game once too, if you don't have any Agarest War 1 data to use :)

Jucksalbe said:
Yay. Anything that actually adds to the game or just the "buy stats for money" kind?

There are
2 extra dungeons, lots of stats, items, and equipment, gold, XP, etc. among other things :)

Sqorgar

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm not super far in - only about 4 or 5 hours - but so far, there's been exactly zero pervy elements. I don't think the game is nearly as naughty as it has been made out to be.

The game itself is different. It's not a tactical RPG like FFT or Tactics Ogre. The board are small and all the same, with a large part of the strategy coming from setting up your characters to help each other. It's got the typical Idea Factory combat system, where you get AP and can spend it to move or make multiple attacks, using certain attacks together creates a bigger, more impressive attack. This works across characters, so linking attacks together is pretty important. I think it works a bit better than the Blazing Souls games.

There's a small dating sim aspect to it. You play the game in five generations, where each generation has three potential girls you can marry. The choices you make during each generation will affect which one you end up with. For the next generation, you play the offspring of that combination and will somehow be different depending on who the mother was. Agarest Zero is similar, but I think it's only two generations.

So far, it's pretty fun and occasionally pretty challenging, but there's a lot of filler. I hear Zero is better about that, which would increase my enjoyment a lot. I like it. It's not an instant classic, but I'd say it's above average by Compile Heart standards.

I think I read that you can unlock a version of the first Agarest game in Zero after you beat the game. It apparently lacks all the girls you can marry or something. I'm not totally sure.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Akselziys said:
There are
2 extra dungeons, lots of stats, items, and equipment, gold, XP, etc. among other things :)

Thanks.
2 extra dungeons
and everything that's free for me then.

Ashodin

So will this be in stores today? I'm looking to secure my LE. Can't wait to have both games in my possession! I still have the naughty box from the first :D

tiff

Banned
Oh, wow, totally forgot this game came out today. Really tempting, but I still need to finish the first one...

If only this one had a Naughty Edition too...

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Luckily you don't need to have played the 1st one to play Zero, but it definitely boosts the experience if you have :)

And you can also import your Agarest War 1 clear data ;)

Xilium

I guess this means I need to get around to finishing the first game (I only got near the end of the 2nd generation).

lljride

I got about halfway through the 3rd generation in the first one before I got bored with the battle system. I'm still tempted to get this one, but I might hold off for a while.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Will likely buy this game after Anime Expo. Heck, I might buy it during Anime Expo if Aksys games has some PS3 Limited Edition copies at their booth ;)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Will likely buy this game after Anime Expo. Heck, I might buy it during Anime Expo if Aksys games has some PS3 Limited Edition copies at their booth ;)

We will have copies of the LE at our Anime Expo booth, but the PS3 version will probably be much more limited than the 360, so it will be first come first serve >.<

Might want to hit up our booth first thing, if you're looking to score a PS3 version of the LE :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Akselziys said:
We will have copies of the LE at our Anime Expo booth, but the PS3 version will probably be much more limited than the 360, so it will be first come first serve >.<

Might want to hit up our booth first thing, if you're looking to score a PS3 version of the LE :D

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I know where to go first when the Exhibit Hall opens on the first day of the convention :)

I3rand0

Akselziys said:
I believe it's $29.99 on PSN?

Or do you mean lower? :)

Lower, it's DD. You can sell it for $19.99. Now would be a great time with the release of the prequel to generate some sales.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Record of Agarest War Zero obligatory office copy GET :D!
Clarification: personal copy for being a member of the office haha

roawzc

I3rand0 said:
Lower, it's DD. You can sell it for $19.99. Now would be a great time with the release of the prequel to generate some sales.

That's more an executive/sales decision, but you never know :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh yeah, Akselziys does this run on JP region 360s? I know the first one does but after DeathSmiles being locked I'm not taking chances.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
InfiniteNine said:
Oh yeah, Akselziys does this run on JP region 360s? I know the first one does but after DeathSmiles being locked I'm not taking chances.

Get the Triple version!

Top Bottom