• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Record of Agarest War Zero |OT| -- No Naughty Edition This Time!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
InfiniteNine said:
Oh yeah, Akselziys does this run on JP region 360s? I know the first one does but after DeathSmiles being locked I'm not taking chances.

Well, it's coded "K", which I believe is the US/Asia/Japan region, so theoretically yes?
But don't quote me on that haha

Edit: Actually if the 1st one worked on a J 360, then this one will too, since they're both coded "K" ;)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Soo... was the first game any good or did everyone buy it for the boob pad and the pillow case?

tiff

Banned
Tomat said:
Soo... was the first game any good or did everyone buy it for the boob pad and the pillow case?
I only played part way through the second generation, but the battle system was pretty solid, although battle after battle started to wear on me sometimes.

But I basically bought it for the LE, yes.

larvi

I3rand0 said:
Let them know then. I really want to buy this game on PS 3 but

b) It's expensive considering the retail copy on 360 goes for a similar price right now:

Doesn't the PS3 version include the DLC that costs extra on the 360 though?

Despera

Banned
tiff said:
Oh, wow, totally forgot this game came out today. Really tempting, but I still need to finish the first one...

If only this one had a Naughty Edition too...
pWR8Q.jpg

sorry, but that chick in your avatar was begging for a quote.

Anyways, I almost bought this because I'm kind of desperate for some PS3 JRPG action. Guess I'll watch a few gameplay vids before making that decision.

I3rand0

larvi said:
Doesn't the PS3 version include the DLC that costs extra on the 360 though?

I'm not sure, but there's no reason why I should pay $12 more for a digital copy. If anything it should be less.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Despera said:
pWR8Q.jpg

sorry, but that chick in your avatar was begging for a quote.

Anyways, I almost bought this because I'm kind of desperate for some PS3 JRPG action. Guess I'll watch a few gameplay vids before making that decision.

I'm assuming that avatar is of Dizzy from Guilty Gear? XD

But yeah, you should totally buy it if it tickles you fancy ;D Especially if you enjoy SRPGs and Soul Breeding haha

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Just to let everyone know, 13 various Record of Agarest War 1 themes for PS3 were released on PSN today as well as the first batch of Record of Agarest War Zero DLC :D!

Download away, my friends! ;D

(the 360 Zero DLC, which
almost
mirrors the PS3 DLC, will be available tomorrow)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Why does all of the DLC have the same generic description? Especially the paid content should tell you exactly what you're getting.
Btw. those Agarest 1 themes are........nice.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Jucksalbe said:
Why does all of the DLC have the same generic description? Especially the paid content should tell you exactly what you're getting.
Btw. those Agarest 1 themes are........nice.

The current DLC out are the following:

1 Zero Starter Pack - I've prepared 3 Grass, 3 Soothing Grass, 2 Fragments of Life, 1 Heal, 1 Revitalize, and 1 Capture for you.
"Recovery is important! Let's go!"

2 Subordinate's Present Pack
- This contains four each of the following: Element of Flame, Element of Ice, Element of Thunder, Element of Wind, Element of Earth, Element of Darkness, and Element of light. All of these are basic ingredients for smithing.
"I hope they'll be helpful in some... Mimel, these aren't food!"
"Eh? What?"

3 Status Boost Pack - Strength Upgrade Ver. 1!

Contains 2 STR Up, 2 VIT Up, 2, AGI Up, 2 INT Up, 2 LUK Up, and 2 MAX. HP Up.
"We'll be always looking out for you, but you might have more luck if you just use some items."

4 Healing Hand Pack - Contains 3 Magic Herb, 2 Cure Grass, 2 Stone of Life, 1 Resurrect, 1 Moonlight Flower, and 1 Lucky Charm. Life is precious!

5 Healing and Defense Pack - Contains 2 Marfile Seed, 2 Vessel of Life, 1 Revive, 1 Dryad's Soul, and 1 Requiem Bracelet.

6 Daily Life Extension Pack - Contains Carrot Sword, Super Scallion, Lollipop Stick, Classic Kettle, Pot Lid, and Kaopectate. Y-Yes! A scallion is finally available as an item!
"It hurrrrts..."

7 No Underestimated Pack - Contains Chickapede Alert, ManFist, Drying Typhoon, Paw Booties and Gaspode.
"Don't let your guard down just because their names sound kind of funny. "

8 Shriveled Chicken Pack - This contains Rusty Sword, Rusty Bracelet, Rusty Ring, Funky Chicken, and Chicken Ring.
I didn't think I'd see the day when the Rusty series and the Chicken series were in the same package.

9 Point Addition Pack 1 - This contains 5000 G, 250 EP, 50 PP and 150 TP.
They will bring you a little peace of mind.

10 Extra Dungeon 1 - I can see it...
With this, you will receive the additional dungeon "Fohites Ruins," which is playable during the first generation. In order to get there, you must proceed through the game to a certain point, and view a certain event. Brand-new adventures await you...

If that helps :)

And Agarest War 1 PS3 themes FTW ;D

Also, new DLC will appear every Tuesday of every week going up until 7/5 I believe :)

Ashodin

Do we get 360 themes too? :)

I opened the LE and I have to say the box and the stuff it comes with is sliiiick! I'll take pictures for you guys later.

tiff

Banned
Akselziys said:
Yeah, you can use it to
unlock the "Door of Destiny" that lets you play a digest version of Agarest War 1 and its characters, which unlock as you play through Zero. Though you should be able to unlock the Door of Destiny by importing post Agarest War Zero data by beating the game once too, if you don't have any Agarest War 1 data to use :)
So nothing that you can't just get by beating the game otherwise? I have Agarest 1 on the 360 but I'd prefer to get Zero on the PS3 now that it isn't downloadable-only.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
tiff said:
So nothing that you can't just get by beating the game otherwise? I have Agarest 1 on the 360 but I'd prefer to get Zero on the PS3 now that it isn't downloadable-only.

Well, it will
save you the trouble of playing through Zero once in order to obtain the save data you need :) I think it might give you some items too?

tiff

Banned
Akselziys said:
Well, it will
save you the trouble of playing through Zero once in order to obtain the save data you need :) I think it might give you some items too?
Well if I'm planning on buying the game I'm hoping beating it wouldn't be considered "trouble" :p

Thanks for the info, though. :) Doesn't sound like anything major so I just ordered it for the PS3. Says it should arrive around the end of the month, which is fine because I'm in no hurry to play it anyway.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
tiff said:
Well if I'm planning on buying the game I'm hoping beating it wouldn't be considered "trouble" :p

Thanks for the info, though. :) Doesn't sound like anything major so I just ordered it for the PS3. Says it should arrive around the end of the month, which is fine because I'm in no hurry to play it anyway.

Haha yeah, though I know a lot of people like to only go through games once :)

I hope you enjoy it once you get the chance to play :D!

Vrakanox

Pre ordered PS3 LE. Totally hyped. I'm more of a classic rpg guy than a SRPG guy but for some reason I just love these games.

I'm not willing to buy this just to see if it's another terrible game like the previous entry.

If anyone's played both games I'd like to hear whether there's as much forced grinding (that is, 3-4 forced random encounters in between every snippet of story for the sole purpose of tortuously lengthening the games playtime), whether the combat is still tedious, boring, and repetitive, whether the bosses are all still 'gang up on him with silly group attacks', and whether the game still overall feels like a Z grade h-game ported to console and stripped of any reason to play it.

Speaking of Z grade, though, Super Robot Taisen Z2 is a fantastic game!

Ashodin

Man I've been going back through the original Record and I'm hooked again. After just plowing through battles (trick is to set your strongest guy up to one/two combo lowbie enemies for faster battles), so much more customization is open to me. This game has a fucking HUGE customization system.

orion434

Is it normal to acquire some crazy shit when importing my Agarest 1 Save file? I got like 2,500 PP, 100K Gold and a bunch of other stuff.

Do I have to play the EX version to unlock all Achievements? I don't know what the Secret Achievements are.

Cornbread78

I3rand0 said:
Lower, it's DD. You can sell it for $19.99. Now would be a great time with the release of the prequel to generate some sales.

Good thought, I just added $20 to my wallet and I think I'd add the first one to my download list with it, if nothing else for the curiosity factor as well as Kagari's stance:

Kagari Picked up a PS3 LE today to support Aksys and their efforts for bringing over Japanese games :D

orion434

Tizoc said:
So is it an improvement over the first Agarest game?

From playing the first couple of hours and reading the manuals it is basically the same exact game with different brides and minus the Light-Neutral-Dark aspect... an no "Turns"

larvi

rayner said:
From playing the first couple of hours and reading the manuals it is basically the same exact game with different brides and minus the Light-Neutral-Dark aspect... an no "Turns"

So I should count on another 200+ hours in order to max out my attributes to get all of the achievements? The no turns is an improvement at least, I didn't like having to worry about missing an event becuase you didn't do something by a certain turn.

orion434

larvi said:
So I should count on another 200+ hours in order to max out my attributes to get all of the achievements? The no turns is an improvement at least, I didn't like having to worry about missing an event becuase you didn't do something by a certain turn.

I don't know all 10 Secret Achievement... but I think there are 3 x 3 for the Brides which leaves 1 left for beating the Game or something special + beat the game. I have a feeling ( And High Hopes ) that I will not have to Max out all 12 Attributes.

From looking at the TA Ratio for the Japanese Version it seems to be a very straight-forward 1.35 Ratio Game... actually pretty low on the spectrum, though only 32 people played it on the site. haha

larvi

rayner said:
I don't know all 10 Secret Achievement... but I think there are 3 x 3 for the Brides which leaves 1 left for beating the Game or something special + beat the game. I have a feeling ( And High Hopes ) that I will not have to Max out all 12 Attributes.

From looking at the TA Ratio for the Japanese Version it seems to be a very straight-forward 1.35 Ratio Game... actually pretty low on the spectrum, though only 32 people played it on the site. haha

Yeah, I didn't see an achievement for the attributes either but figured it could be tied to one of the titles you have to obtain. Hopefully I'll get a copy soon so I can start playing as well. I'm curious to see if I get bonuses as well for importing my old save.

orion434

larvi said:
Yeah, I didn't see an achievement for the attributes either but figured it could be tied to one of the titles you have to obtain. Hopefully I'll get a copy soon so I can start playing as well. I'm curious to see if I get bonuses as well for importing my old save.

I got a ton of stuff, including 2,500 PP!!! It also looks like Enhancing your equipment is more efficient. There is also something called a "Vacation Day" which sounds like a substitute for the 9 Questions. Basically you can walk around town to talk to your comrades and raise their affection to you.

Erekiddo

Wait, wait.

I was looking into this, but, it's the same game as the first? Just revamped with new features? Does it have a new story?

larvi

NeoNess said:
Wait, wait.

I was looking into this, but, it's the same game as the first? Just revamped with new features? Does it have a new story?

Completely new story and characters, not the same game at all. It just shares similar game mechanics with the first.

larvi

rayner said:
Totally not expecting those... not a single bride-related Achievement? I would like to know the requirements for the True Ending... and it looks like you either have to beat the game twice... or import your save to get 100%

Yeah, I haven't seen anything on the true end requirements either. The Agarest wiki has a stub for this game but nothing else. In the first a lot of the requirements were tied to the turns so not sure how it will work this time around without turns.

Belisarius

Neo Member
larvi said:
Yeah, I haven't seen anything on the true end requirements either. The Agarest wiki has a stub for this game but nothing else. In the first a lot of the requirements were tied to the turns so not sure how it will work this time around without turns.

I'm not 100% sure about this (the document I have is kind of hard to make sense of) but I think the requirements for the true ending are as follows (spoilered because they contain, well, some spoilers):

1. Player encounters Mila for the first time. This should just happen as part of the story (You shouldn't need to do anything extra).
  2. Player completes the 8th "Vacation Day".
  3. Mimel's affection is over 800.
  4. The affection of all three 1st generation heroines is over 800.
  5. The elder larva brother has been defeated, the player either lost to Vashtor or lost because they ran out of turns in that battle, and the player chose to leave Niel behind when given the option.

orion434

Belisarius said:
I'm not 100% sure about this (the document I have is kind of hard to make sense of) but I think the requirements for the true ending are as follows (spoilered because they contain, well, some spoilers):

1. Player encounters Mila for the first time. This should just happen as part of the story (You shouldn't need to do anything extra).
  2. Player completes the 8th "Vacation Day".
  3. Mimel's affection is over 800.
  4. The affection of all three 1st generation heroines is over 800.
  5. The elder larva brother has been defeated, the player either lost to Vashtor or lost because they ran out of turns in that battle, and the player chose to leave Niel behind when given the option.

Is there an # Value for affection? This seems more accessiblw then the requirements for the True Ending in the first

Belisarius

Neo Member
rayner said:
Is there an # Value for affection? This seems more accessiblw then the requirements for the True Ending in the first

Well, I think the number isn't user-facing. I'm not sure if "over 800" means "she likes you a whole lot" or "affection is maxed out".

Edit: Probably means "maxed out".

larvi

Belisarius said:
Well, I think the number isn't user-facing. I'm not sure if "over 800" means "she likes you a whole lot" or "affection is maxed out".

Edit: Probably means "maxed out".

The first game had 5 levels of affection, so I would guess 1-200 = lvl 1, 201-400 = lvl 2, 401-600 = lvl 3, 601-800 = lvl 4 and 801-1000 = lvl 5. So just like the first game you need to get to the 5th "blushing" stage assuming that is how it still represents max affection in this game

cj_iwakura

mjemirzian said:
I'm not willing to buy this just to see if it's another terrible game like the previous entry.

If anyone's played both games I'd like to hear whether there's as much forced grinding (that is, 3-4 forced random encounters in between every snippet of story for the sole purpose of tortuously lengthening the games playtime), whether the combat is still tedious, boring, and repetitive, whether the bosses are all still 'gang up on him with silly group attacks', and whether the game still overall feels like a Z grade h-game ported to console and stripped of any reason to play it.

Speaking of Z grade, though, Super Robot Taisen Z2 is a fantastic game!

Are there any Idea Factory games that aren't like this? Really.

Top Bottom