• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore PC Version Mentioned by Armature Studio Employee's Portfolio

People like to follow the development process. If something looks promising 6+ months out from release, people like to interact with developers or others who are interested in the game.

It's like...do we really need movie trailers a year in advance? Couldn't they just put trailers up 2 weeks before a movie is out?

Sure, they could, but that isn't how hype and marketing work.
You're talking about hype, I'm talking about why is it worrying when you don't see gameplay? Why does not seeing gameplay equate to the product being worrying or bad?

Toki767

You're talking about hype, I'm talking about why is it worrying when you don't see gameplay? Why does not seeing gameplay equate to the product being worrying or bad?

Well I imagine people wouldn't worry if the studio had a great track record for making great games.

You know, I used to feel strongly about wanting MS to put all these games on Steam instead of just the W10 store, but I kinda gave up that fight. I'll still buy them on Steam if that's an option, but if not, oh well. The number of launchers on PC still isn't ridiculously terrible, and generally segregated by publisher anyway. Steam for 99% of stuff, Origin for EA, uPlay for Ubisoft (but really I just buy these through Steam anyway), GOG Galaxy if you're into that but it's optional, Battle.net for Blizzard, and now Windows 10 for Microsoft. And just like that, basically every PC game is covered.

Having 4-6 launchers, to me, still isn't as bad as the days without a cohesive library. Of disc checks and swapping and game-specific community features, and searching around the internet for patches. To me, they still give more utility than otherwise. So Microsoft, bring on the PC versions, even if they're just on the Windows 10 store/Xbox App. Just, you know, make sure they're good ports

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You know, I used to feel strongly about wanting MS to put all these games on Steam instead of just the W10 store, but I kinda gave up that fight. I'll still buy them on Steam if that's an option, but if not, oh well. The number of launchers on PC still isn't ridiculously terrible, and generally segregated by publisher anyway. Steam for 99% of stuff, Origin for EA, uPlay for Ubisoft (but really I just buy these through Steam anyway), GOG Galaxy if you're into that but it's optional, Battle.net for Blizzard, and now Windows 10 for Microsoft. And just like that, basically every PC game is covered.

Yeah, the only Uplay game that isn't on Steam is Tintin. Ubi was clearly going to release it at some point but ultimately chose not to, for some bizarre reason. After successfully convincing Ubi to patch the Steam versions of Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery and the Venice expansion, I tried in vain to talk it into doing something with its dormant Tintin and King Kong listings.

Yeah, the only Uplay game that isn't on Steam is Tintin. Ubi was clearly going to release it at some point but ultimately chose not to, for some bizarre reason. After successfully convincing Ubi to patch the Steam versions of Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery and the Venice expansion, I tried in vain to talk it into doing something with its dormant Tintin and King Kong listings.

Those have been updated way more recently than I expected, 6 months ago for TinTin and 10 months ago for King Kong

hawk2025

Because the fact that it's done for nearly every other product begs the question of why it wasn't done for this one -- especially when coupled with a spotty track record.

Grief.exe

Personally, I'd be "desperate" for any version not tied to any Microsoft "community" on PC: Steam, GoG, hell, I'd even rather take Origin or Uplay.

Look at their track record.

Completely agreed.

And Microsoft still gets money, so I don't think they are hurting. Most people don't have gaming PCs so it's not gonna hurt MS at all, just additive.

Is this comment real life?

Banned
This makes me happy. Also makes me a little hesitant to get an Xbox one if the exclusives will keep coming to windows10.

Who am I kidding as long as Halo stays on Xbox I'll buy a console for it lol.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Seems to me in the no so distant future MS is going hard against Steam. Xbox hardware kaput?

A smooth transition is how it should start indeed when supporting two platforms.

GnawtyDog

Banned
MS make far too much money from third-party games on their system to go PC exclusive because they will get absolutely none of that money.

With a steam like solution simply named Xbox they will. I am not saying they're quitting support now but I can definitely see the Xbox One being the last Xbox console and the Xbox brand being a steam like front.

With a steam like solution simply named Xbox they will.

If MS are going to compete with Steam for peoples $$ it will take them half a decade to be even borderline relevant. Xbox hardware isn't going anywhere, they will also lose Gold subs and I don't even have much confidence in their biggest franchising replicating their console success on PC exclusively.

GnawtyDog

Banned
If MS are going to compete with Steam for peoples $$ it will take them half a decade to be even borderline relevant. Xbox hardware isn't going anywhere, they will also lose Gold subs and I don't even have much confidence in their biggest franchising replicating their console success on PC exclusively.

Half a decade? Lol no... all it takes is solid marketing, solid relationships, friendly dev. policies (indies), and exclusive content of high quality. It's all in the execution.

As for the revenue you claim is so important to MS....umm I am pretty sure their expenses on Xbox are also as important, as are their margins.

Tyrus

Banned
Great news for PC gamers, kinda sucky for people who bought an Xbox One for the allure of future true Xbox One-only exclusives besides Forza, Halo and Gears. Yes I know not everyone likes gaming on a PC, but still a bit meh. Otherwise if it means more money for the devs, then cool.

So that leaves Quantum Break and Scalebound as the two new Xbox IPs which, so far, are XB1 only for the near future?

Half a decade? Lol no... all it takes is solid marketing, solid relationships, friendly dev. policies (indies), and exclusive content of high quality. It's all in the execution.

As for the revenue you claim is so important to MS....umm I am pretty sure their expenses on Xbox are also as important, as are their margins.

If it were so easy wouldn't they have done it already? Or someone else have done it?

Their expenses are important you say so they're going to go from monetising Xbox Live and all the servers, backend stuff they put into it to giving it away for free... not much margin on that.

Their solution should not to make colossal mistakes on their hardware rather than decide to bin it off completely.

Nzyme32

Indeed.

"MS where are your games on PC?
MS: "Okay here are a few of our games on PC. Enjoy!"
"What, this is bullshit! Why is there no Steam version. Fuck off MS."

It's quite sad actually to see people that desperate for a Steam version. Steam fanboys I guess?

You know it is possible to like a community and where your friends are, have trust in a service and enjoy what that brings, and not be a "fanboy". This is even more true when it comes to Microsoft's services, which have a proven long standing track record of being horribly untrustworthy with their services and support towards PC gamers regarding digital distribution. Similarly it is also perfectly justifiable to love a game but decide not to buy it in order to avoid risk of the issues that such poor service and long term support has brought in the past

Oh but MS have change this time, for real, again - great - now demonstrate it for a few years and start earning that trust back. Till then people are perfectly justified if they choose to not buy something from them over the same thing but through Steam's services, without it being fanboyism.

Anno

It'd certainly be cool of Microsoft to give an option for a Steam key when buying on the W10 store. I don't expect them to or think negatively of them for not, but it would sure engender some good will from the PC community at a time when they seem to be seeking it out pretty hard.

Also I hope this is true. That trailer thing they had at E3 was neat, curious to see what the game itself is like.

GnawtyDog

Banned
If it were so easy wouldn't they have done it already? Or someone else have done it?

Their expenses are important you say so they're going to go from monetising Xbox Live and all the servers, backend stuff they put into it to giving it away for free... not much margin on that.

Their solution should not to make colossal mistakes on their hardware rather than decide to bin it off completely.

Is it easy to enter any industry with established market leaders? No.

The first Xbox was a dud more or less and billions were poured into that. RROD on the Xbox 360... "thank god" for Sony's fuck up and Xbox Live subscriptions. Xbox One reveal disaster...well you get the picture with hardware.

The real question is where does the Xbox brand go from here?....counting on a Sony fuck up to dominate the states? Cause the Xbox brand continues to have a glaring weakness... it's not a global brand as Playstation is and sorely depends on America's and UK's tit to survive.

Unless we're expecting a Sony fuck up next-gen and an expansion of the industry in the U.S and UK Xbox hardware has little to no growth potential, more like regression and they've receded all their hard earned growth with the X360 this generation.

Will it be easy to compete with Steam? No. Is it easy to compete with Sony today without bleeding? No, not either. The point is moot.

Margins on digital is much higher, it cost a fraction to operate a steam like front compared to hardware and MS just has to capitalize and leverage its true global brand, Windows.

It's a no brainier. Has been for a while.

Is it easy to enter any industry with established market leaders? No.

The first Xbox was a dud more or less and billions were poured into that. RROD on the Xbox 360... "thank god" for Sony's fuck up and Xbox Live subscriptions. Xbox One reveal disaster...well you get the picture with hardware.

The real question is where does the Xbox brand go from here?....counting on a Sony fuck up to dominate the states? Cause the Xbox brand continues to have a glaring weakness... it's not a global brand as Playstation is and sorely depends on America's and UK's tit to survive.

Unless we're expecting a Sony fuck up next-gen and an expansion of the industry in the U.S and UK Xbox hardware has little to no growth potential, more like regression and they've receded all their hard earned growth with the X360 this generation.

Will it be easy to compete with Steam? No. Is it easy to compete with Sony today without bleeding? No, not either. The point is moot.

Margins on digital is much higher, it cost a fraction to operate a steam like front compared to hardware and MS just has to capitalize and leverage its true global brand, Windows.

It's a no brainier. Has been for a while.

We'll have to disagree. I dont see "Xbox" without having their own hardware box under the TV for a long while. Its the inevitable future but its not the near future, they'll certainly blur lines with it but there will remain a specific Xbox console.

GnawtyDog

Banned
We'll have to disagree. I dont see "Xbox" without having their own hardware box under the TV for a long while. Its the inevitable future but its not the near future, they'll certainly blur lines with it but there will remain a specific Xbox console.

Near future as in say 3-5 years - I agree. Beyond that is where my head tells me a change in direction for the brand is coming, starting with this smooth transition we're witnessing. We can agree to disagree of course - it's speculation after all.

LewieP

Why is it shocking that people would prefer an alternative to buying from the windows app store?

Microsoft have time and time again shown that they will jettison any service when doing so is convenient for them.

They have also shown that they will deliberately harm PC gamers experience in order to market their Xbox console.

And all their previous services selling PC games have had terribly uncompetitive pricing.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't put their own games on their own store, or that they don't have the right to exclusively put them on their own store, simply that I would prefer to have the option of buying from a range of stores, each competing to offer the best customer service.

Microsoft have a terrible track record with PC gaming, and I'm going to wait for them to prove they have actually learnt and changed before rushing too be a customer of theirs. This is entirely rational.

Steam would be my first choice, but drm free from GOG or Humble would be great too.

JaseC

Those have been updated way more recently than I expected, 6 months ago for TinTin and 10 months ago for King Kong

Sadly those were just general backend changes by Valve. If you click through to the changenumber pages you'll see that they applied to a ton of apps.

SparkTR

Hopefully it's crossbuy. Microsoft's Windows 10 gaming strategy is still an enigma to me. Hell we still don't even know if they'll be exclusive to the Microsoft store.

Sadly those were just general backend changes by Valve. If you click through to the changenumber pages you'll see that they applied to a ton of apps.

Well it wasn't like I expected them to ever get added. The ship has LONG sailed on those games, even if it would be interesting to have them up for completion's sake

Hopefully it's crossbuy. Microsoft's Windows 10 gaming strategy is still an enigma to me. Hell we still don't even know if they'll be exclusive to the Microsoft store.

They PROBABLY will be, but I wouldn't say it's 100% yet. They may have it so the games that are cross-buy only come from the Windows 10 store, and the games that aren't are also listed on Steam? I dunno, I'm spitballing

But them not saying how they'll be available either means A) they truly haven't decided yet, or B) they've decided on Windows 10 Store only and want to avoid that being the center of conversation for as long as they can, since they know PC gamers won't like it

SparkTR

They PROBABLY will be, but I wouldn't say it's 100% yet. They may have it so the games that are cross-buy only come from the Windows 10 store, and the games that aren't are also listed on Steam? I dunno, I'm spitballing

But them not saying how they'll be available either means A) they truly haven't decided yet, or B) they've decided on Windows 10 Store only and want to avoid that being the center of conversation for as long as they can, since they know PC gamers won't like it

I fully expect them to be Windows 10 Store only, but as it currently stands the store doesn't seem suited for higher-end games. That's what kind of confuses me, they're obviously putting in effort towards gaming on Windows 10, but as it stands now I don't see how they're going to make it successful. I don't believe it's possible to be a success there while still treating PC as a second class platform. So why bother at all?

Otherwise there's option C). All this interest in Windows 10 gaming is driven entirely by demands from the wider Microsoft corperation and not the Xbox division, which has historically not wanted anything to do with Windows gaming. Microsoft's focus towards a singular service and platform across all their devices is dictating this movement, and the Xbox division is just kind of dealing with the transition as best as it can right now as they have a wrench thrown into their Xbox strategy.

lord_lad

Banned
just a thing though...is comcept biting more stuff it can chew?

The only product that Keiji Inafune came up with and got released was Soul Sacrifice (& Delta) on the Vita....

MN9 got delayed till 2016, red ash is just a thing 'that's there'..........and Recore is 'conceptually formulated' by Inafune but developed by someone else?

JaseC

Well it wasn't like I expected them to ever get added. The ship has LONG sailed on those games, even if it would be interesting to have them up for completion's sake

Yeah, I just realised that the Kong Kong licence finally expired, so a Steam release is never going to happen. The only hope for Tintin popping up on the store one afternoon is if Ubi is contracted to make a tie-in to Peter Jackson's upcoming sequel.

Zedox

Is this comment real life?

The game being on PC (and most likely on Windows Store...granted the dev fixed the issue) wouldn't hurt MS. They still get money from the game that they may or may not have from Xbox. There's no loss. They still get money from Xbox or PC...what's so hard to understand?

Expanding is always a good thing. Not only does it boost the Xbox One portfolio for people interested in Xbox One (or consoles in general) and doesnt game on PC, it can also gain more profit with PC release.

As for me, Ill be able to play it on both XBO and PC if this is true :D

To me this is the future. Console+PC. I would like to see PS and Nintendo get on board too. I assume PS Now will make its way to PC eventually since its already on TV and Bluray players. Maybe that will be their entrance into the PC market which doesnt really hurt consoles, but seems to help you expand.

Top Bottom