• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore PC Version Mentioned by Armature Studio Employee's Portfolio

The game being on PC (and most likely on Windows Store...granted the dev fixed the issue) wouldn't hurt MS. ?

You would think people would understand this when games like Call of Duty sells like 20m+ every year. Console and PC dont really compete that much but has a some overlap at the same time. Consoles are an easy solution for somebody wanting to play games, and a mass market item.

Glomby

The game being on PC (and most likely on Windows Store...granted the dev fixed the issue) wouldn't hurt MS. They still get money from the game that they may or may not have from Xbox. There's no loss. They still get money from Xbox or PC...what's so hard to understand?

Not at all. it's a huge loss, for every game they bring to windows. They are basically sacrificing the Xbox right now to push Windows 10 as much as possible. They have lost this gens console war, but they need Windows 10 to become as successful as WinXP or Win7. MS is all in on Windows 10 right now, that's all. Xbox gaming on PC won't even be close as profitable than on the Xbox, but they need to do it for Win 10 anyways.

Every single Xbox exclusive that comes to PC means, less people will buy an Xbox, less people will buy Xbox live gold and less people will buy third partys on the Xbox (which gives MS money as well). And of course it makes people who wann get a console get a Playstation instead. Everybody wins, except the Xbox. If the Xbox survives this push they might change a lot of there gaming on windows approach. If the Xbox doesn't survive, MS becomes a PC only Publisher and leave everything else to Sony and Nintendo.

Not at all. it's a huge loss, for every game they bring to windows. They are basically sacrificing the Xbox right now to push Windows 10 as much as possible. They have lost this gens console war, but they need Windows 10 to become as successful as WinXP or Win7. MS is all in on Windows 10 right now, that's all. Xbox gaming on PC won't even be close as profitable than on the Xbox, but they need to do it for Win 10 anyways.

Every single Xbox exclusive that comes to PC means, less people will buy an Xbox, less people will buy Xbox live gold and less people will buy third partys on the Xbox (which gives MS money as well). And of course it makes people who wann get a console get a Playstation instead. Everybody wins, except the Xbox. If the Xbox survives this push they might change a lot of there gaming on windows approach. If the Xbox doesn't survive, MS becomes a PC only Publisher and leave everything else to Sony and Nintendo.

QptZJds.gif

oldergamer

Everybody wins? Piss poor reasoning btw. Unless you are only a sony fan, or only a nintendo fan, then NO everybody does NOT win. I'm assuming you fall into one of the two groups mentioned?

Zedox

TLDR; No.

You're still forgetting that majority of people who play console games don't have a gaming PC. Yes, there are a number of people who have both, but it's not a majority. You're "doomsday" scenario would happen if only that wasn't true. Yes, they would lose some money on Xbox Live, but if their exclusives are on PC as well as Xbox, they recoup on the sales that:
1. They wouldn't have gotten to people who have a PS4/WiiU but also a PC
2. Margins are higher on digital games, where most people buy their PC games
3. As time goes on and cloud computing gets cheaper, Xbox Live gets cheaper to run (which is happening anyways)

The mindset of kids would have to change on getting a gaming PC instead of a console (where their parents can most likely afford) and kids are a huge part of selling a console. And the whole thing about cross-play furthers the proof that it doesn't matter. I actually plan on upgrading my PC so I can play the latest games on it but for now I have an Xbox and I'll still be able to play Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, Gigantic, and Killer Instinct with people who have a PC but maybe don't have an Xbox or they do and choose to play it on the PC. When i'm able to upgrade my PC, it doesn't mean that I'll get rid of my Xbox, I still have my Xbox for other things (TV integration, Crunchroll, tv apps) that have a value to me (and I'm sure others) that my PC doesn't have and being comfortable in front of my couch doing it.

oldergamer

I have a PC fully capable of playing games, but I prefer the type of experience you get from a console on a large screen. There's lots of Xbox 360 & XB one owners that feel the same.

The sentiment where people are good with Xbox exclusives being on PC, pretty much comes from people that are PC gamers, or devote fans of Nintendo or Sony. Those people have been wanting this for years and it hasn't changed since the first Xbox, where they want MS out of the console biz.

Here's a fact. It isn't happening. MS is in the console biz for the long haul. They aren't losing money hand over fist like they once were, and they clearly have one of the biggest online game portals around, built purely for consoles. No reasoning by console warriors is going to change this. MS has done a TON of innovative things in the console market, despite not getting credit from certain people after 8 years of the xbox 360 and a horrible Xbox one reveal.

After enduring 12 years of BS posted on forums where those want MS out of the console biz, it's time to give that argument a rest. MS is in a better position to be involved in console gaming longer the sega ever was.

Koobion

Seems to me that they're just trying to hide that this is also coming to PC because it wasn't officially announced on that platform...yet.

It honestly seems like they're a little scared to reveal just how much content will be shared between the Xbox and PC.

After enduring 12 years of BS posted on forums where those want MS out of the console biz, it's time to give that argument a rest. MS is in a better position to be involved in console gaming longer the sega ever was.

Was the dig at Sega really necessary? They failed because of bad management - the same thing that made the Xbone reveal and launch a disaster.

I am salty as fuck about Sega's failure, but not going to derail.

Glomby

TLDR; No.

You're still forgetting that majority of people who play console games don't have a gaming PC. Yes, there are a number of people who have both, but it's not a majority. You're "doomsday" scenario would happen if only that wasn't true. Yes, they would lose some money on Xbox Live, but if their exclusives are on PC as well as Xbox, they recoup on the sales that:
1. They wouldn't have gotten to people who have a PS4/WiiU but also a PC
2. Margins are higher on digital games, where most people buy their PC games
3. As time goes on and cloud computing gets cheaper, Xbox Live gets cheaper to run (which is happening anyways)

The mindset of kids would have to change on getting a gaming PC instead of a console (where their parents can most likely afford) and kids are a huge part of selling a console. And the whole thing about cross-play furthers the proof that it doesn't matter. I actually plan on upgrading my PC so I can play the latest games on it but for now I have an Xbox and I'll still be able to play Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, Gigantic, and Killer Instinct with people who have a PC but maybe don't have an Xbox or they do and choose to play it on the PC. When i'm able to upgrade my PC, it doesn't mean that I'll get rid of my Xbox, I still have my Xbox for other things (TV integration, Crunchroll, tv apps) that have a value to me (and I'm sure others) that my PC doesn't have and being comfortable in front of my couch doing it.

Yes I can totally see that.

I'm not saying that because I'm invested in one platform or anything. I have all consoles and a high end Win10 PC, so crossbuy/crossplay is only good for me.

I just don't think MS is going to win anything on the console side of things. Manly because the PC and console market are as close as never before. The people who would never get a console, or would never get a pc are getting fewer and fewer. PC and consoles are indeed competitors now. That was different a few years ago but it is changing rapidly.

MS has two big problems right now. They have Win 10 and need it to succeed and they are losing the console wars. They need solutions for both problems. Their investment into pc gaming is going to help Win 10 which is great and definitely going to pay off, and yes they are adding value for Xbox users as well with cross buy/play, but, and that's a big but, they are only adding value for people who already got an Xbox and on top of that who are also interested in PC gaming. They aren't making people buy Xboxs. On top of that I think MS would rather people buy there games on Xbox than on PC. Simply because of how the whole Xbox ecosystem works.

If you don't have an Xbox yet and every exclusive will be on PC why wouldn't you buy a PS4 then? If you don't have a great PC and you are manly interested in console gaming you could totally still get an Xbox. But none of the PS4 exclusives will be on any other Plattform. Xbox games on the other hand will be on two platforms, so you have more options and might go with the PS4 for now, simply because you could get an Xbox later or upgrade your PC. These Options will make people think about getting the Xbox or not. With the PS4 it's simple. Get it and play there games or don't.

And then there is the even bigger problem, which is marketing. When every single Xbox exclusive is also on PC, every Xbox gamer would always get to play the inferior version of a game. Even if you don't have a PC you will still see videos and streams of how the game could look like. People are going crazy and are switching from Xbox to PS4 because of a tiny difference in resolution, what if every single game on the Xbox is nothing but a bad looking version of the same game on PC? That's going to turn a lot of people off.

The question I'm trying to find answers for is simple. Why would more people get an Xbox if all the games are on PC? MS needs to sell more Xboxs and they need to do it fast. instead they are going to slow sales down and even confuse people. Exclusives sell consoles, if you don't have any, well...you know.

oldergamer

Seems to me that they're just trying to hide that this is also coming to PC because it wasn't officially announced on that platform...yet.

It honestly seems like they're a little scared to reveal just how much content will be shared between the Xbox and PC.

Many developers maintain PC versions of many games during development for debugging purposes, but never release them. Perhaps the plan was to never make a PC version.

Was the dig at Sega really necessary? They failed because of bad management - the same thing that made the Xbone reveal and launch a disaster.

I am salty as fuck about Sega's failure, but not going to derail.

The fact you called it a "dig" made gave away you were in the Sega camp. However it's not a dig as much as the cold hard truth. It wasn't mismanagement, it was years of losses to nintendo and sony in a difficult market place. MS is in a much better position to stay in the market then sega ever was due to a overall positive company cash flow. If MS as a whole was losing money each year, it would be a different story.

The game being on PC (and most likely on Windows Store...granted the dev fixed the issue) wouldn't hurt MS. They still get money from the game that they may or may not have from Xbox. There's no loss. They still get money from Xbox or PC...what's so hard to understand?

Unless it's a budget release on Xbox, they will lose money if someone owning both console decide to buy it on PC. On Xbox the game will most likely be 60$ whereas on PC 40$ and they if it's not Windows Store only they get 70% out of those 40$.

wolffy71

Banned
The windows 10-xbox cross play is a play to sell both xbox and get more windows 10 installs. Microsoft is a software company obviously, and it all revolves around windows. A HUGE threat to them is the decrease in PC sales. Anyone playing on xbox is a sale and anyone playing on a gaming PC is a download/sale of win10, basically. Roll the two goals together and tout the whole thing as a benefit of cross play and it might even boost sales of both.

Like to actually see what this game is to be honest. Weird it's announced with cg at E3, not shown at GamesCom and supposedly out early next year.

GHG

I have a PC fully capable of playing games, but I prefer the type of experience you get from a console on a large screen. There's lots of Xbox 360 & XB one owners that feel the same.

The sentiment where people are good with Xbox exclusives being on PC, pretty much comes from people that are PC gamers, or devote fans of Nintendo or Sony. Those people have been wanting this for years and it hasn't changed since the first Xbox, where they want MS out of the console biz.

Here's a fact. It isn't happening. MS is in the console biz for the long haul. They aren't losing money hand over fist like they once were, and they clearly have one of the biggest online game portals around, built purely for consoles. No reasoning by console warriors is going to change this. MS has done a TON of innovative things in the console market, despite not getting credit from certain people after 8 years of the xbox 360 and a horrible Xbox one reveal.

What year is this?

This "experience" can also be had on the PC.

Zedox

I understand what you are trying to say but you are looking at it through the "console wars" eyes, not Microsoft's eyes. Do they want to be #1 in everything? Yes, but more importantly is having a growing business that makes money. Microsoft doesn't have to "win" the console wars to "win" in the end. They just want people on their platform, using their services, and buying their products. It doesn't matter where, that is all that they want to do.

There is a false sense that because the game is also on PC that they are devaluing the Xbox itself. That's not true. It is a different market. Affordable, easy to use device to hook up to your TV to play the latest games on, also do a lot of different TV specific features. It's not a one or the other. It's what do you, as the consumer, want to buy. Do you want to game on your PC, or do you want to game or your TV? Well, as MS, you have a solution where they can sell you a device for either one and your games (some) will be able to play on either. You buying the device doesn't matter, you buying the software (where they get most of their money from) is what matters. It's locking you into their ecosystem but giving you a choice of where you want to game.

You talk about if all their exclusives are on PC, why wouldn't you buy a PS4 then? The answer is...you were going to buy a PS4 anyways because you wanted exclusives. It would be no different than if you had an Xbox. The third party games (for the most part) already release on PC, if you wanted the "best version" you most likely will get it on your PC. You're going to go to PS4 for exclusives because you already can get most other games on your PC/Xbox. Same thing vice versa. What MS can sell you on is their exclusives for either PC or Xbox...they just want you to buy their products.

I think you are focusing too much on "selling consoles" side of things where Microsoft seems to be trying to sell you on their service. If they can keep people on their platform, the more potential they have to buy something. The hardest part about selling a product to SEARS or some other store is getting the person in the store, the longer they stay in the store, the more likely they are going to buy something. All Microsoft is doing is branching their store to different locations instead of just going to one place.

Mass_Pincup said:
Unless it's a budget release on Xbox, they will lose money if someone owning both console decide to buy it on PC. On Xbox the game will most likely be 60$ whereas on PC 40$ and they if it's not Windows Store only they get 70% out of those 40$.

And in Windows Store, those games they don't have to worry about packaging and shipping, so their margins are higher so their "loss" could even out. So that doesn't matter.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Run an hdmi cable from your PC to your TV and join the rest of us in the year 2015.

Top Bottom