• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED ASH Kickstarter crashes n burns (Comcept/Inafune/Hyde making Mega Man Legends 3)

That lewd art is so random lol

Is this a reference to the Vita winning the poll? Kidding, just using the Vita stereotype. But seriously, is that the way they are going to get more funding, with half naked Anime women?

I can't believe this isn't even at $400k yet. Are people actually looking before they jump?

Well, it looks like the anime is also hitting it out of the park at a whopping $81k of $150k funding goal. Both seem to be sitting at roughly 50% funded.

koutoru

Is this a reference to the Vita winning the poll? Kidding, just using the Vita stereotype. But seriously, is that the way they are going to get more funding, with half naked Anime women?
It's probably a future skin for Red Ash's Tron Bonne. Takaki would be proud.

To me the art of Legends is one of the weakest of all Megaman games (my favorite being Megaman Zero) so I'm impressed that it's the same person behind Red Ash which I'm loving the enemy and character design. I always hated the Reaverbots desing the most.

It's probably a future skin for Red Ash's Tron Bonne. Takaki would be proud.

... make it into a stretch goal Inafune! >_<

wwm0nkey

To me the art of Legends is one of the weakest of all Megaman games (my favorite being Megaman Zero) so I'm impressed that it's the same person behind Red Ash which I'm loving the enemy and character design. I always hated the Reaverbots desing the most.

Da fuck!? the art in Legends was the best!

to me it was Legends>BN>Zero>X>Original>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Star Force

Da fuck!? the art in Legends was the best!

to me it was Legends>BN>Zero>X>Original>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Star Force
To me is more like
Zero>X>BN>ZX>Legends>Original (I never played Starforce)

And from what I have seen I would put Red Ash between Zero and X, MN9 between Legends and Original.

*sees new update*

I see he's clamoring to that market now.

... make it into a stretch goal Inafune! >_<

Dude. What. Legends art style is straight up Ghibli magic.

scene1.jpg
scene09.jpg

scene2.jpg
scene01.jpg

police1.jpg
concept2.jpg

I wish I could post it all, it's just so damn charming and epic. The most heartbreaking thing in losing Legends 3 was that the art and development work not only tapped into what made Legends charming, but built evolved it to current aesthetics.

Time to pour salt in the wound:

fucking sigh.

I really hope Red Ash makes it.

RK128

So, what are the projections looking like? Is this thing even going to make the $800k goal?

I'm willing to bet it will reach.....450,000 by the time the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter ends. After that, they will really kick off the advertisement of the Kickstarter through live streams, a prototype demo, interviews with the developers and other stuff to get more funding. This will last for.....I guess, five or so days, and that will spike funding to 600,000 or 650,000.

Then, they will announce the home console this is coming to and promising that future episodes will be added to the game post launch IF they don't hit the stretch goal. Once the console is announced (likely either PS4 or Wii U), people will start putting a lot more funding into the project, making it get a big spike (I guess.....hitting its funding goal within a day or two).

After that, the remainder of the campaign will be highlighting staff through video interviews, live streams of playing the Legends series while answering questions and announcing some smaller stretch goals in-between the map section/episodes (playable Tyger or Call for example).

The final funding day will do its magic and the final funding for the game will hit, at least 1,400,000 (hitting the console goal, initial funding goal and other smaller stretch goals).

DASH/Legends art is god-tier. The games do a great job at capturing the visual aesthetic and animated qualities of the original design, but I always felt it missed out on capturing the atmosphere of the art.

DASH/Legends art had a rustic vibe to it with shades of Ghibli. That rustiness never really came out well in-game, but it was always something that could've been felt in different parts of the games.

This thread just makes me want to play Legends 1 and 2, then cry realizing Legends 3 isn't happening.

I'm seriously thinking about lowering my pledge.

Dude. What. Legends art style is straight up Ghibli magic.
What I don't like specifically are the look of all Reaverbots and Megaman himself but I love the Bonnes, Roll and the other stuff. Megaman just looked pasable to me and the helmet didn't help him look better. The only Megaman I like a bit was the one they were gonna use for Legends 3. Reaverbots I completely think they are ugly and can't think of any that are even pasable. To me that's what I think has been the best thing about Red Ash from the image on the kickstarter, I like the "Armor" look they are going with.

Of course at the end of the day it's just my personal tastes. :p

I'm hoping that this game gets made regardless of the Kickstarter. Mega Man Legends enthralled me as a little kid.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/#chart-daily
It's not looking good with Kicktraqs projection having their prediction range being $483,194 - $602,621. For the Kickstarters that don't blast past their goal in the first couple frenzy days of pledges, I lose optimism if they don't hit halfway within a third of the days to the end. This one is almost halfway through the campaign and its struggling to hit 50% funding. Not looking good for the anime as well which struggles to mange $1000 in a day. This thing is going to need the last couple of days to even hit the initial $800,000 goal which I wonder what kind of game they'll be making with that. I wonder what they projected to investors for what the Kickstarter would hit.

This thing is going to need an awesome gameplay demostration but going by the Kickstarter video I'm not optimistic. With the reliance of the animations being being these sketches with voiceovers, I'm wondering if they even have any characters or environments modeled to work with. Do they even have any gameplay mechanics programmed yet? I don't think text and interview updates would be enough to excite all the people wary of Mighty No 9. I would have expected at least a gif of some characters running animation for a project of this scale.

The Kickstarter for this should have look more like these two in having footage even if they were made specifically for the Kickstarter and may not even make it into the game. Just a little example of the games potential feel.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438269196/shiness/description
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/171497873/earthlock-festival-of-magic/description
They should have taken the time until Mighty No 9 released to create some environments that they could make some trailer in with some flyovers.

Wait so this is actually a Kickstarter for a Ground Zeroesque prologue?

I think the original plan was that this KS would explode the way the last several major gaming ones have (Shenmue 3, Yooka Laylee, MN9, Bloodstained, Broken Age) and that we'd have hit the "full game" stretch goal within the first day or two and then be focused on extra content and every platform under the sun. As clearly that didn't happen but Inafune really wants to make that full game map you see on the KS page they're now going for "well your 800k will fund a ground zeroes with which we'll get a pub to back our full game".

At least that's how I'm inferring things

jackdoe

Holy shit that $25 only gets you the prologue. I had suspected that based on their previous wording, but had hoped that the wording meant that the additional content would be free. I guess it isn't.

RK128

The update is a bit confusing; so the stretch goals only covers the 'prologue' while a future game will cover the 'main' story?

.......I guess, they really think they can rake in a lot of money with the Kickstarter still, so after today, they will re-start the campaign in a way to get more funding I guess.

Still, what they told us with this update, is very misleading; the people who are funding this game, are only funding a Ground Zeroes-level game content wise (short story mission but a number of side stuff to do) and to get the Phantom Pain-level of content, people need to put more funding into the project......

Wish them luck and with the game hitting half its core funding goal, who knows what will happen :l.

Edit: Oh, we will get the full game regardless, but the funding decides how 'big' the world is I guess.

uhh okay? I guess I'll at least be able to play the full game now at some point, but I still won't back it. It's too risky.

I don't know why they made the tier upgrading/downgrading so overly complicated. Just say $59 for the full game and be done with it. Ths just confuses people more and pisses off those who missed out. It's also still on a random console.

lol did they really add in a day only special tier, how many people are going to drop their £79 pledge and go for the cheaper option today instead?

Tiu Neo

So, full game guaranteed (if this gets backed)? Locking it on a higher tier may seem shitty, but if it's full game for some vs shorter game for everyone, I'm ok with that. Even if $79 looks a bit too high.

Soi-Fong

uhh okay? I guess I'll at least be able to play the full game now at some point, but I still won't back it. It's too risky.

I don't know why they made the tier upgrading/downgrading so overly complicated. Just say $59 for the full game and be done with it. Ths just confuses people more and pisses off those who missed out. It's also still on a random console.

Yeah, this is still to risky to back in my opinion.. Also, I'm not sure if they're paying attention, but why would they post an update during Shenmue's final hours on KS? That's just foolish.. No one is paying attention to Red Ash right now.

The wording of their update is quite vague -- is Comcept placing a contractual obligation on itself to produce the full game after the prologue? Or does the offer only mean that if Comcept happens to make the full game, then eligible backers will receive it at no additional cost? If it's the latter (which seems most plausible to me), then any backer who pledges $79+ in hopes of getting the full game is assuming the risk of never receiving it, with no recourse.

I kind of assumed that during their period of relative radio silence, Comcept would have recognized their communication issues and addressed them, but the campaign remains as muddled as ever.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ha ha ha, trying to make the full game an $80 buy in as of tomorrow.

Man Inafune is just the fucking worst. They're probably looking at Shenmue 3 and thinking that because the backer average is $90, thats what their own game should be priced at.

Hope it has the reverse effect and more people pull out realising how scamtacular theyre trying to run this.

RK128

The wording of their update is quite vague -- is Comcept placing a contractual obligation on itself to produce the full game after the prologue? Or does the offer only mean that if Comcept happens to make the full game, then eligible backers will receive it at no additional cost?

I really don't understand the wording of the update, I think it means this:
-Up-your pledge and you will get the version promised if this Kickstarter is a success (the Prologue) AND the full version we are making with a unknown publisher

Because, I highly doubt they will get anything beyond 800,000 if things go like this :(.

I'm willing to bet despite the fact they said they don't want to deal with a publisher, they are in talks with one about the full game, got the approval to make it, and even if the Kickstarter fails, the full game will happen in some form.

I really think that Concept and Infunae didn't expect this Kickstarter to be such the bomb it is now, so I would think as security for their studio, they got a publisher that agreed to let them keep the IP and will make the full game happen regardless of the Kickstarter now.

The Kickstarter will just ensure more money being put into the prologue and other factors for the project.

I can't help but feel like they are trying their best to ...not get the project funded. Unless you read the update carefully, it actually sounds like they split the game into multiple parts for different reward tiers.

Wait a minute, the $49 is for TODAY ONLY?

Are they honestly pulling a fucking informercial Kickstarter? Is this fucking real life?

CALL NOW AND GET NOT ONE BUT >>TWO<< COPIES OF RED ASH

Wait so this is actually a Kickstarter for a Ground Zeroesque prologue?
Not originally. It's pretty clear they thought they'd get the stretch goals for the complete game. Now that it's underperforming it might just get enough funding for the prologue with possible publisher help to complete the rest once they prove themselves with the first part.

Also talk about another case of bad timing. They intend to give their KS a push on the last day of Shenmue's record breaking KS. What a way to ensure divided attention and less news coverage!

One more thing: I am NOT playing this on a PC so you either announce what console you're doing it so I can know if I'll be able to play it, or I'm just not pledging. I backed MN9 for $60 and Bloodstained for $100. I'm willing to pledge for Red Ash but I need to know where it's coming on and I'm not going to gamble my money only to know that my console copy will be for one I don't own.

wrowa

If you spend 50$ today or 80$ later you will get a download of the Red Dash main game that might very well never see the light of day? What a great deal - after the fantastic success of this kickstarter, I'm sure that Inafune will find hundreds of publishers who are interested in funding his main game.

Wait a minute, the $49 is for TODAY ONLY?

Are they honestly pulling a fucking informercial Kickstarter? Is this fucking real life?

CALL NOW AND GET NOT ONE BUT >>TWO<< COPIES OF RED ASH
Not only that, but they chose to do it on the same day that Shenmue III Kickstarter is closing with a record breaking bang!

After the very competently MN9 and Shenmue III campaign run and the excellent, flawless Bloodstained one, it boggles my mind how Inafune managed to run his second KS worse. Way worse.

RK128

Not originally. It's pretty clear they thought they'd get the stretch goals for the complete game. Now that it's underperforming it might just get enough funding for the prologue with possible publisher help to complete the rest once they prove themselves with the first part.

Also talk about another case of bad timing. They intend to give their KS a push on the last day of Shenmue's record breaking KS. What a way to ensure divided attention and less news coverage!

One more thing: I am NOT playing this on a PC so you either announce what console you're doing it so I can know if I'll be able to play it, or I'm just not pledging. I backed MN9 for $60 and Bloodstained for $100. I'm willing to pledge for Red Ash but I need to know where it's coming on and I'm not going to gamble my money only to know that my console copy will be for one I don't own.

They won't announce a console version due to that stupid poll they have going on :l. They want to 'honor' that and not piss off the other platform holders, so they will leave the only console this lands on up to the backers.....despite the fact we have no idea which platform the game will even land on.

Its seems to be a tie between PS4 and Wii U, but still; they should of announced a PS4 version right from the start so that way people can know "Okay, I can play this on my console then :)" instead of thinking "Well, I love Legends and I want to back this....but don't want to play this on PC due to (it not being powerful enough/don't like playing PC games/want to use my PS4, X1 or Wii U/don't even own a PC).....so I will skip this game :l".

Top Bottom