• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED ASH Kickstarter crashes n burns (Comcept/Inafune/Hyde making Mega Man Legends 3)

If you're approaching this going "I bet I could get it cheaper after it's made" then you're missing the point.

Kickstarter is not and never has been a pre-order store. Stop treating it like one. It's a way for people to create things that would be extremely difficult for them to pull off otherwise.

Yes, there's a chance the expanded game won't get made.

Based on it's Kickstarter performance, I'd say it's highly unlikely that a publisher would pick it up because they're going to interpret it as a game that has no demand. If you want to pay more right now and wait 2 years on top of the risk of the full game never being made, then go ahead. But when the reward depends upon the condition that a developer picks up the game to complete it, then I'll wait for that condition to be met. I'll take common sense over "missing the point" any day.

But frankly, I'd say it's a slim chance. Comcept will have already done the lion's share of the work just by making the ~8-hour basic game and getting it out there. At that point they should not have difficulty finding a publisher willing to fund the other 12 or so hours of content and agree to let Comcept keep the IP.

Good luck with that.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The head positions of the dev team - director, lead artist, UI designer, etc - are mostly different, although there is some overlap. However Comcept are likely to have a lot of support staff that are working on this that worked on MN9.

The fact that Comcept co-develops with other studios doesn't change the fact that they have staff of their own that work on these projects.
Lucky they have ReCore to work on, then!

The excuse of keeping people employed doesn't work when it's Inti-Creates developing MM9 and Hyde making this.

Jobbs

Banned
Hard to believe how rapidly Inafune spent his reputation to squeeze money out of fans. When the MN9 KS first went up, I had very warm feelings for the guy. Now I would avoid anything with his name attached.

duckroll

I don't understand the new update. Are they saying that if they meet the minimum 800k funding goal, that despite missing the stretch goals for the additional content in the prologue chapter vertical slice, they will automatically be able to secure a huge amount of additional funding from some other source to develop a much large game that follows it? If that is not what they are saying, then what are they saying?

Lucky they have ReCore to work on, then!

Development on ReCore is already +1 year, I doubt Comcept is doing much, they will supervise the development and things like that but remember they only make concepts, they don't code. But I guess Microsoft is paying all the bills, so at least they will have food in their table until the developments ends.

Looks like the"offer" stun worked, they got 27k today.

Silvard

I'm a huge fan of MML, one of my favorite game series ever, and I won't put a single cent behind this project.

First, the constant hostility and excuses, from people who are somehow emotionally invested in this project, towards the valid criticism on the mismanagement of this kickstarter do absolutely nothing to inspire confidence in it or encourage people to back it. The reason the funding is going at a glacial pace isn't because sceptical non-backers are "wrong", it's completely on the incompetence of the campaign organizers and their inability to make a compelling pitch.

Second, this isn't Mega Man Legends. To use that series as an example of anything, despite having lot of the same staff, is meaningless when there's absolutely no indication beyond words and concept art of what this game is. I like Mega Man Legends because of the setting, the story, the characters and the gameplay and while I already know this game won't have any of the former (which severely diminishes the amount of interest that could transfer from MML to this), for the latter I have no clue what it will have.

Shizuka

I really wish this doesn't make it, it's a mess and Inafune shouldn't be rewarded a second time for scraping games he's worked on and not making something new like he once did.

Jobbs

Banned
I read the update and just now saw this:

If you pledge today, you will receive the main story of RED ASH for an exclusive pledge price of $49 (normally $79 and up). This offer ends TODAY, July 17th, 24:00 California time (July 18th, 16:00 Japan time).

I just don't get it. Don't they understand how gross this comes off? I've long been a bit cynical of the gameshowification of big KS, but this goes beyond that, it's starting to feel like the infomercialication of KS. Why would you go through this indignity just to attempt to squeeze a few extra bucks out of people?

I just don't get it. Don't they understand how gross this comes off? I've long been a bit cynical of the gameshowification of big KS, but this goes beyond that, it's starting to feel like the infomercialication of KS. Why would you go through this indignity just to attempt to squeeze a few extra bucks out of people?

What do they mean by "the main story"?

Edit: I just found the quote and was able to read the whole thing. Oh my god, this is ridiculous.

After how great Shenmue 3's last few hours felt, this is bringing me back down again... I want to love and support this, but they seem to be doing everything in their power to stop me from wanting to help them... really hope for a do over if this fails with some time, thought, and care put into it.

bede-x

I don't understand the new update. Are they saying that if they meet the minimum 800k funding goal, that despite missing the stretch goals for the additional content in the prologue chapter vertical slice, they will automatically be able to secure a huge amount of additional funding from some other source to develop a much large game that follows it? If that is not what they are saying, then what are they saying?

That's exactly what they're saying and it makes no sense what so ever.

"We don't have enough money to produce the full prologue, so now we're giving you (some of) the prologue + the full game that's bigger than the prologue and which we somehow have enough money for".

nynt9

I'm a huge fan of MML, one of my favorite game series ever, and I won't put a single cent behind this project.

First, the constant hostility and excuses from people who are somehow emotionally invested in this project towards the valid criticism on the mismanagement of this kickstarter does absolutely nothing to inspire confidence in it or encourage people to back it. The reason the funding is at a glacial pace isn't because sceptical non-backers are "wrong", it's completely on the incompetence of the campaign organizers and their inability to make a compelling pitch.

Second, this isn't Mega Man Legends. To use that series as an example of anything, despite having lot of the same staff, is meaningless when there's absolutely no indication beyond words and concept art of what this game is. I like Mega Man Legends because of the setting, the story, the characters and the gameplay and while I already know this game won't have any of the former (which severely diminishes the amount of interest that could transfer from MML to this), for the latter I have no clue what it will have.

This right here. We don't owe Inafune anything. He's supposed to prove to us that his project is worth our money, and all he's done is tell us to give him money for very vague promises. The fact that this campaign is all about his funding model and not about any gameplay concepts, prototype videos or anything about a tangible aspect of the final product is really telling. Also the tactics he's using are getting more confusing and off-putting each time.

Silvawuff

First, the constant hostility and excuses, from people who are somehow emotionally invested in this project, towards the valid criticism on the mismanagement of this kickstarter do absolutely nothing to inspire confidence in it or encourage people to back it. The reason the funding is going at a glacial pace isn't because sceptical non-backers are "wrong", it's completely on the incompetence of the campaign organizers and their inability to make a compelling pitch.

Wow, you really nailed it. I think the ultimate problem here is a complete lack of consideration for both investors and peers, and I'm thankful the results are showing.

Update #9 is up, its about voting for who will be mayor of Kalkanon. Anyone can vote even if you aren't a backer. I'm gonna vote for Candidate #3 Masha, not even 10 and already running for mayor :p.

Any Lost Planet people involved in this? Wasn't the LP1 movement system supposed to be eventually used for MML3?

That would explain a whole lot about how the movement in that game felt.

Isn't there also some relation between the japan-only Lost Planet 3DS game and ML3?

Pachael

Not only that, but they chose to do it on the same day that Shenmue III Kickstarter is closing with a record breaking bang!

After the very competently MN9 and Shenmue III campaign run and the excellent, flawless Bloodstained one, it boggles my mind how Inafune managed to run his second KS worse. Way worse.

Think AJ did a pretty poor job with S3. Still, I had my focus on that so I missed this offer. Never mind, I'll stay at the prologue @ $25 and check it out later. (Like Banner Saga maybe. The missed offer still stings though)

More waifu voting eh. Still not giving them my money. The boring choice will win anyway.
Is this waifu voting? It's just a vote on the mayor and none of them are sexualiced, they each have a slogan and a summary on how they act, so the voting isn't based just in appearance. The term "waifu" I could understand with the voting of the new heroine on Legends 3 but I don't think it's the same with Red Ash.

This shit is gross. Fail hard, please.
I also have problems with the kickstarter but now it seems that people just plainly hate the game/Inafune no matter what they do. Is there even anything that Inafune can do at this point?

If everything was the same but with the title "MML:Kalkanon Incident" with Barrett being the main character and the game being the prologue to MML3 would there still be this much hate? I'm sure there would be people criticizing the kickstarter, and rightfully so, but would there be people wishing it would fail this much? Megaman Legends 3: Prototype was close to this since it was a paying demo, and if not enough people purchased it Capcom wasn't gonna make Legends 3.

It was the other way around, I think--it has been speculated that MML3 tech was used as the basis for the 3DS LP spinoff game EX Troopers.

While what you're saying is also true, the former has truth to it as well. Inafune has directly stated that the LP movement engine was developed for a hypothetical Megaman Legends 3 in mind. The quote's out there if you look for it.
This shit is gross. Fail hard, please.

Alright this is getting ridiculous now. If what I'm gathering for what people are giving this kickstarter shit for is correct, the timing is poor and the choice of console is unknown (which is the case for many of these kickstarters). But is it really any reason to want this KS to fail? MN9 was funded and Inafune delivered with a full game that is receiving nothing short of praise from it's last public showing from all press. There's a lot of bandwagon hate coming in it feels like suddenly. Simply don't give money, but to wish for it to fail is inane. Especially considering it's likely the last scrap of a "Legends-esque" game MML fans will ever get.

Alright this is getting ridiculous now. If what I'm gathering for what people are giving this kickstarter shit for is correct, the timing is poor and the choice of console is unknown (which is the case for many of these kickstarters). But is it really any reason to want this KS to fail? MN9 was funded and Inafune delivered with a full game that is receiving nothing short of praise from it's last public showing from all press. There's a lot of bandwagon hate coming in it feels like suddenly. Simply don't give money, but to wish for it to fail is inane. Especially considering it's likely the last scrap of a "Legends-esque" game MML fans will ever get.

I e.g. want this to fail so that they can come back with a better one in the future. If this just gets the first or second goals, I am worried that we will just get a small taste of what could have been.

JackelZXA

$79.99 and up for the main game? what? That sounds insane.

nynt9

While what you're saying is also true, the former has truth to it as well. Inafune has directly stated that the LP movement engine was developed for a hypothetical Megaman Legends 3 in mind. The quote's out there if you look for it.

It's not simply the timing or the console choice, but if you're uninterested in reading the legitimate complaints people have elaborated and discussed many times over in this thread I don't know what else I can do to help you understand them.

Remk

Voted for Alisa. Glad they figure a way to get people involved with the KS after 2 weeks, lol

Hell yeah, Alisa can take care of business!

But back to topic, you know who has the worst deal out of this kickstarter?

It's me! I want a new Manami Matsumae soundtrack.

Seriously though the victim here is Studio 4°C, the short wont get funded and those stretch goals just seem ridiculous now

This whole thing thing just seems so disingenuous is painful to watch. Blegh

JDSN

Banned
This is still going eh? People think that the worst scenario is this not getting funded, the worst one is this barely reaching the goal. If the real game if hidden in the stretch goals then its not so far fetched to consider that other parts that ensure that the product is quality are behind it too. Its gonna be Godus all over again, but funnier because its so blatant what is going on.

This is still going eh? People think that the worse scenario is this not getting funded, the worse one is this barely reaching the goal. If the real game if hidden in the stretch goals then its not so far fetched to consider that other parts that ensure that the product is quality are behind it too. Its gonna be Godus all over again, but funnier because its so blatant what is going on.

200.gif

I also have problems with the kickstarter but now it seems that people just plainly hate the game/Inafune no matter what they do. Is there even anything that Inafune can do at this point?

Is true that some people, specially here in NeoGAF hate Inafune for the shake of it but I think some people is somehow right wanting this KS to fail, what kind of message is going to send this campaign to other game developers if it gets funded?.

PsionBolt

Alisa is the cutest, so everyone should vote for Alisa. I really don't see the point of a poll in the first place when one option is so clearly superior to the rest.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is true that some people, specially here in NeoGAF hate Inafune for the shake of it but I think some people is somehow right wanting this KS to fail, what kind of message is going to send this campaign to other game developers if it gets funded?.

Yeah, this is one of the worst KS yet for the precedent its trying to set. Trying to use fans and Kickstarters as a temporary honey pot, then try and twist their arms further when "the real game" is to be funded by another publisher anyway. Just can't be arsed paying for the prototype demo phase themselves.

Since the ONE DAY ONLY SPECIAL OFFER scam is over, now its $79 to get the "full game" (all without having seen a scrap of actual game) and not just the limited prologue theyre already trying to downplay. Note:
the main story of RED ASH ("The New Order Conspiracy", estimated at 12 hours)
arhTyoP.png

Content may be reduced! Expect nothing! Proper game still coming though, pay $79 today!

Surprised more gaming sites havent picked up on this, but its probably too confusing for a lot of them to understand that Inafune (the trustworthy underdog story they dont want to close doors on) is engaging in one of the slimiest Kickstarter shakedowns Ive seen from a big player.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah, this is one of the worst KS yet for the precedent its trying to set. Trying to use fans and Kickstarters as a temporary honey pot, then try and twist their arms further when "the real game" is to be funded by another publisher anyway. Just can't be arsed paying for the prototype demo phase themselves.

Since the ONE DAY ONLY SPECIAL OFFER scam is over, now its $79 to get the "full game" (all without having seen a scrap of actual game) and not just the limited prologue theyre already trying to downplay. Note:

arhTyoP.png

Content may be reduced! Expect nothing! Proper game still coming though, pay $79 today!

Surprised more gaming sites havent picked up on this, but its probably too confusing for a lot of them to understand that Inafune (the trustworthy underdog story they dont want to close doors on) is engaging in one of the slimiest Kickstarter shakedowns Ive seen from a big player.
Every step of the way there is some piece of information that rubs me wrong about this.

I was someone who was 100% on board early on when the 2 ks were announced and people were hemming and hawing with their "look how mn9 turned out" when I think MN9 looks and sounds good. As each update happens though I've grown less and less confident in this to the point I'm not sure if I'm going to back it at all. I still want a Legends successor but I feel Inafune and co need to go back to the drawing board and come back with a better pitch, a better ks ideally for a combined game and anime tie in (or have the anime ks later down the road), a clear console goal from the start either PS4 or WiiU, and some actual alpha gameplay so that people can go "okay this IS something I want".

This hurts me almost as much as MML3 being canceled right before we had a chance to buy the prototype. At least there we could blame Capcom for having no faith in the fans/game but we don't have that here. All we have is an extremely poor ks pitch that is extremely frustrating as all I can ask is "what could have been had this been handled better from the start"

so1337

They're too busy shitting on the Shenmue kickstarter for securing additional funding from other sources that may or may not exist.

junpei

It's not simply the timing or the console choice, but if you're uninterested in reading the legitimate complaints people have elaborated and discussed many times over in this thread I don't know what else I can do to help you understand them.

Really now he responded to a drive by post. There was no legitimate complaint in that post at all . There are lot of things that are legitimate points that kinggi could have posted such as how it was scummy to have have that one day sale on the last day of shenmue KS . There is a difference between the legitimate concern and the bandwagon of hate for inafune and there are more than two sides to the whole debacle. There are the blind supporters (as slivard pointed out ), the concerned supporters like myself , the bandwagon of hate, and the concerned dissenter/ KS wacthdogs( most of the people in this thread ).

Top Bottom