• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Bull Kumite | March 28th |Ultra Street Fighter IV Invitational

I been saying for awhile that Capcom should look to the World Series of Poker invitationals/tourneys for inspiration with the Capcom Cup stuff.

imae

That was a great match indeed, well done Bonchan.

This tournament is great - the overall production and commentary is very good. I really like the head-to-head setup for the players too and I wish it was the standard.

I been saying for awhile that Capcom should look to the World Series of Poker invitationals/tourneys for inspiration with the Capcom Cup stuff.

I think Capcom did a great job by creating the Capcom Pro Tour and working with the community to make it possible. I would just prefer they kept it to 16 players and made the sets longer instead of keeping the 2/3 format with more players. Many of whom will qualify but probably aren't up to the task of competing with the best of the best.

naw

tumblr_mbfi36mj4E1qfsvizo1_500.gif

Maybe you don't know but the spectator entry fee was 0. This event isn't making any money or wants to recover the cost, that's the reason there is no commercial or breaks and the rhythm is great.

Kikujiro

Maybe you don't know but the spectator entry fee was 0. This event isn't making any money or wants to recover the cost, that's the reason there is no commercial or breaks and the rhythm is great.

Damn, so it's basically a dream event, I doubt they are gonna do another one.

So Red Bull funds the whole thing?

From what I heard yeah. They may have a few sponsors but even trying to repay the room they rent is basically impossible. FYI renting a 500m² space in Paris cost at least 7000€ for a basic place with just chairs and tables. They have two rooms, the place is classified as an historical place, they had to create the whole stage and the people handling the tech are located outside in a giant truck. That costs a shit ton of money.

Damn, so it's basically a dream event, I doubt they are gonna do another one.

The thing is that most esports sponsors outside of game companies themselves can't tell if esports makes them earn money since you can't realistically trace the influence of the event on consumers. So it's basically choosing to be in so you're not missing a "hype thing".

Top Bottom