• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 previews are dropping

Easy Allies:
IGN:
Gamespot:
Jared Petty:
Write UP - https://www.gamespot.com/g00/articles/red-dead-redemption-2-we-played-it-on-ps4-heres-ev/1100-6461909/i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvL3V0cHFiQkZTT2g=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=14
Game Informer: https://www.gameinformer.com/previe...from-our-red-dead-redemption-ii-hands-on-demo
Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/two-hours-with-the-amazingly-detailed-red-dead-redempti-1829187487
Games Radar: https://www.gamesradar.com/red-dead...m_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer_grtw
PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-re..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw
Games Radar: https://www.gamesradar.com/red-dead-redemption-2-hands-on/
VG 24/7: https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/20/red-dead-redemption-2-preview/

Dniw0fnXsAAynia.jpg:large

Last edited:

klosos

New screenshots as well.

GameReactor preview -https://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/692763/Red+Dead+Redemption+2/

bAWlgNAh.jpg

lVz1Mwqh.jpg

J6C9EZgh.jpg

M6wCOUOh.jpg

Prsa1rHh.jpg

8MHIAdPh.jpg

much improved horse controls from the first game -

"We saddled up and rode into the sunset, immediately feeling how improved controlling the horse feels this time around. The horse is - if you treat it right and build a bond over the course of the game - now an extension of yourself, rather than a vehicle of sorts, even though it might feel like it. It grinds to a halt, speeds up, switches speeds, and even moves sideways at the will of the player. There are several mechanics in place, such as gear shifts with the X and L1 button, and by holding square while standing still, the horse will strafe in a given direction. If your bond becomes strong enough, it'll even pull off something akin to a handbrake turn. Furthermore, all of the items you can't hold yourself, such as extra weapons, tonics, or other crafting materials, can be stored in the saddlebags of your steed, making it not just a means of transportation, but a companion for the road. Rockstar hopes that the player will bond with their horse, and after a few minutes we could feel that happening already. "

First person mode confirmed aswell -

"the Rockstar developer gently suggested pressing the PS4 touchpad , and this revealed a fully-fledged first-person mode, which is there day and date on the release "

Final thoughts -

Red Dead Redemption 2 left us breathless. The attention to detail is staggering, its weighty, the realistic controls are immersive, and Rockstar's narrative ability is astounding thanks to the quality of the script, the acting ability on display, and the subtle environmental storytelling. Our time might've been brief in the grand scheme of things, but its impact was anything but. Rockstar's humble attitude was surprising given our personal history with their preview events, and it ultimately suited them - they know their talent, but they're still out to please. They have had incredible success but are still out to surpass past glories.

Ultimately, their vision was on breathtaking display. We left feeling flabbergasted, as Rockstar has created an image, an image which wouldn't be as strong if they didn't deliver every time, but after playing Red Dead Redemption 2 we were again reminded that they just do.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
This has got me so hyped, some of the details in the IGN preview are great "shotguns blow peoples arms off" :messenger_face_screaming:

This is going to be unreal, I can remember not believing what they had done with GTAV on an xbox 360, hopefully this sets a new precedent again for this generation of consoles.

xviper

i'm sure the game is gonna be great

but i don't trust previews, EVER, every preview for every game seems positive, and when it comes out....

MDSLKTR

Horse testicles shrink depending of the weather
Rockstar done it again.

Horns

One of the previews says the map is bigger than GTA V. It's going to feel even larger because there are no vehicles.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
looks cool.

i've been playing RDR for the first time this year and really loving it. the attention to detail in the animations is so wonderful. the atmosphere is so cool and unique. the level of immersion is so nice, it has this romantic and ambient quality to it. tbh i prefer it over the post-SA GTA games. really looking forward to seeing what they do with new tech...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Waiting for a sale and lots of gameplay. I wasn't a fan of the first game, but I'm a little interested in this.

Would like to hear more about gameplay and less about extreme graphical details.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's wonderful to hear about the first person perspective.

Prsa1rHh.jpg

The lighting in this shot looks amazing. Watching the first season of Westworld made me want to explore the wild west again. Its been ages since RDR came out.

^E3 this year, Sony's conference started in a Church. I wish they would have shown this clip lol

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sounds like they've done the usual Rockstar job of completely raising the bar, yet again. I normally don't let myself get too exciting this far away from a release, but boy, I cannot wait.

Soltype

Sounds like they're going for the San Andreas formula.Wish they'd add more stuff like this back to the GTA series.

Kagey K

Banned
Between this and FH4 I’m pretty sure the rest of the year is going to be eaten away. October can't come soon enough.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It ruins it for me everytime people relate RDR to Westworld. Looking forward to the game nonetheless.
:messenger_smiling:
In the show people pay lots of money to experience the Wild West. How else would you spark someone's interest in venturing off into the wild west in modern day media?

It was also the train scene in Westworld and the opening cinematic to Red Dead Redemption. I could mention Harry Potter and the train to hogwarts. The smoke pouring out the stacks, the sound of the railroad tracks, and looking off into the distance at a society that's barely been explored. The symbolism of this time period is mainly stuck in old John Wayne movies or history museums. Unless I'm missing a few other pieces of media. I don't like to always compare two completely different pieces of media, but the wild west rarely gets a lot of attention. How many people put on cowboy hats and celebrated RDR 2-3 years ago? It comes off like a fad and its only relevant when the game gets closer and closer to releasing. No one wanted to buy a copy, but Microsoft comes around and launches a patch for their BC on the X. Now it looks pretty again and people want it before the sequel comes out.

I owned RDR when it came out and then bought the Undead edition not too long ago digitally.

I'm not trying to ruin it for you. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

Ogbert

Sounds great.

I’m just hoping for basic gameplay improvements. No one comes close to Rockstar for world detail, but their controls suck balls. Shrunken horse balls.

Snoopycat

Banned
"Red Dead Redemption 2 left us breathless. "

"We left feeling flabbergasted."

I think this is a good example of why people will never take game "journalists" seriously. It reads like it come straight from a PR Department.

Do we have more information about performance? I only have one source stating that (in german)
So oder so ist die Sony-Konsole mächtig am rechnen – das zeigte einerseits das deutlich hörbare Lüftergeräusch während der Preview-Session, gleichzeitig bewegt sich die Framerate hart am Limit der (vermuteten) 30 FpS. Wird es auf dem Schirm mal etwas voller mit Charakteren, stellen sich in der Vorab-Version manchmal leichte, aber stets erträgliche Ruckler ein.
roughyl translates to:
Framerate isn't stable and the console (the PS4P) gets loud.
Light stutters with lots of NPCs on screen.

I haven't heard anything about this from anywhere else.

Hudo

Do we have more information about performance? I only have one source stating that (in german)

roughyl translates to:
Framerate isn't stable and the console (the PS4P) gets loud.
Light stutters with lots of NPCs on screen.

I haven't heard anything about this from anywhere else.
PCGames are saying the same thing (I'm German). Quote: "Einzig die Framerate gefiel uns nicht so gut. Gefühlt fiel sie in einigen Szenen unter 30 FPS. Eine Option "Geringere Auflösung, höhere Framerate" ist Stand jetzt nicht vorgesehen. Trotzdem: RDR 2 wird das mit Abstand schönste Rockstar-Game bis dato, so viel steht fest. "

They are basically saying that in some scenes, the framerate drops below 30 fps. And there's no option planned to reduce the resolution in favour of more fps. However, they still say that RDR2 will be the prettiest game by Rockstar Games and they are generally really excited.

partime

It ruins it for me everytime people relate RDR to Westworld. Looking forward to the game nonetheless.

Isn't it a good thing? Rockstar has given us so little to go on story wise, it makes sense if people relate it to something they know more about. If the game had robots we would relate it to the Wild Wild West.

giphy.gif

wild-wild-west-560.jpg

That's wonderful to hear about the first person perspective.

Prsa1rHh.jpg

The lighting in this shot looks amazing. Watching the first season of Westworld made me want to explore the wild west again. Its been ages since RDR came out.

^E3 this year, Sony's conference started in a Church. I wish they would have shown this clip lol

Damn, I had forgetten about that terrible presentation. Thanks for reminding me.

the Rockstar developer gently suggested pressing the PS4 touchpad , and this revealed a fully-fledged first-person mode

suggested pressing the PS4 touchpad , and this revealed a fully-fledged first-person mode

and this revealed a fully-fledged first-person mode

first-person mode

takemymoney.jpg

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
About the Press Comments, sometimes stuff they say sounds exactly like PR, but, is it actually impossible for them to actually be blown away or left breathless? All I’m saying is that if the sources are credible enough to not be known for bs statements, consider it possible.

MayauMiao

If RDRII comes with VR support its going to blow everyone's mind.

the Rockstar developer gently suggested pressing the PS4 touchpad , and this revealed a fully-fledged first-person mode

suggested pressing the PS4 touchpad , and this revealed a fully-fledged first-person mode

and this revealed a fully-fledged first-person mode

first-person mode

takemymoney.jpg

DavidGzz

Game Informer bearded dude says it's even better than God of War and that it was smart for all other devs to avoid the launch window since they would be annihilated. The highest praise I can think of. Wow, I thought this would be good but this sounds like the best game ever. I guess once Cyberpunk comes out we will be used to a game with insane details. Beat them to the punch like the Rockstars they are(boo hiss).

I usually take previews with a grain of salt but it's a month out so no downgrades, it has to be finished and the previews were spot on with God of War IMO. I'm not the biggest wild west fan but this is like a Halo moment. I don't like sci-fi but Halo was my favorite game when it released.

Rimkrak

Neo Member
First person mode from start to finish...

I mean it was almost a given after GTAV but I'm so glad to know this is a thing in RDR2

And all the little details , like the beard growing and stuff like that. Fuck this is gonna be something.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
First person mode from start to finish...

I mean it was almost a given after GTAV but I'm so glad to know this is a thing in RDR2

And all the little details , like the beard growing and stuff like that. Fuck this is gonna be something.
You mean the details you will never see while in first person? I don't get the hype for FPP. It's going to be jank just like GTAV.

Rimkrak

Neo Member
You mean the details you will never see while in first person? I don't get the hype for FPP. It's going to be jank just like GTAV.

Depends on how you use first person. Personally I switched all the time in GTA, like i never drove in first person, and when i was out just walking around, I mainly used third person, and switched to first person only for action sequences/shooting.

In RDR2, I can see myself switching even more, like even in the same sequence of events switchg from first to third.

Also, we will have to see how first person translates to riding a horse, may do third person only for this.

But anyway even if I played mostly in first person view, all those crazy details sure as hell would make me switch to third just to check the details and evolution of the character, clothes depending on the weather condiution etc.

So yeah for me first erson is a great thing, and even better for everybody as it is an option :)

Alebrije

Does the basic physical box version will include the map or only the other 2 versions? remember when RDR launched there was just one version with the map

Top Bottom