• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 previews are dropping

Muffdraul

i'm sure the game is gonna be great

but i don't trust previews, EVER, every preview for every game seems positive, and when it comes out....

I respect your cynicism. But let's be real, you're referring to typical previews where the actual release is years away. These previews are of a game that's mere weeks away. I think it's safe to be a little more optimistic that these impressions are legit to what we shall receive soon.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Who would have thought we wanted a western game set in Texas after 5 billion military shooters?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I had no interest in this game, not even as a sequel to the excellent RDR.

But the simulation aspects have me intrigued. I don't need another empty open-world that drags me from location to location for the sake of story. Nowadays, I need an engaging, chaotic, interesting open world that may or may not happen to have a story wedged in there somewhere.

Emergent player stories > fake Hollywood stories.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I had no interest in this game, not even as a sequel to the excellent RDR.

But the simulation aspects have me intrigued. I don't need another empty open-world that drags me from location to location for the sake of story. Nowadays, I need an engaging, chaotic, interesting open world that may or may not happen to have a story wedged in there somewhere.

Emergent player stories > fake Hollywood stories.

I completely agree. Read those string of tweets I just posted (there is a ton more within them). It sounds very encouraging for just that.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I completely agree. Read those string of tweets I just posted (there is a ton more within them). It sounds very encouraging for just that.
I looked through the tweets and it sounds like the sort of dynamic RPG'ing that we've been promised since the early 90s. I'm sure there will be limits but R* has the talent.

The 'campfire and crew' method of storytelling seems like a much better fit for this kind of game. Reminds me of the home camp in Dragon Age: Origins where your crew hung out, had conversations, etc.

If/when I buy it, my litmus test will be to see how long I can avoid the main story while still enjoying myself. It's one of the aspects I enjoyed about BotW. The world needs to be good on its own. It can't be a backdrop for your crappy story. This isn't 2006. I'm not impressed by a big map and ragdoll physics like I used to be.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is it weird I'm ok with limited inventory?
Why not? Limited inventory isn't inherently bad if the gameplay loop (fill up > sell 'til empty) is entertaining. I'd assume there are ways to expand your inventory anyway like backpacks, belts, bandoliers, and saddlebags.

Laserschwert

Neo Member
Man, I'm really afraid this won't run well on my regular PS4 or that I'm missing out on the gorgeousness of this game when not playing it on anything better than that. I'm seriously considering getting an X just for this and selling it afterwards...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Doesn't matter how good the score is or how good the actual games is, eventually is going to be called "overrated". Because thats the fate of all games who get good scores.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Doesn't matter how good the score is or how good the actual games is, eventually is going to be called "overrated". Because thats the fate of all games who get good scores.

And it is easy to ignore those salty children.

In other news...

mitchman

Gold Member
Should we be concerned that there is no actual gameplay videos released from the game so far? I'm hesitant to put much trust into a scripted gameplay session for journalists only lasting 2 hours when we can't even see the gameplay recordings. Why were they not allowed to record gameplay?

Skyr

Should we be concerned that there is no actual gameplay videos released from the game so far? I'm hesitant to put much trust into a scripted gameplay session for journalists only lasting 2 hours when we can't even see the gameplay recordings. Why were they not allowed to record gameplay?

Because it's just not how Rockstar operates. They never ever did something like that for any of their games.
Not concerning at all to me.

ruvikx

Banned
There will be quite a few games in production right now (especially in the latter stages) whose developers will probably be slightly concerned at the possibility Red Dead Redemption 2 changes player expectations in open world games (& games full stop)... forever. The gaming industry has been in a rut for over a decade now, i.e. copy/paste open worlds with collectathons & fetch quests are the norm & industry standard. Interactions with NPC's always follow the same rigidity. The only additions which ever changed things a little were RPG mechanics & XP. But it's all samey.

Making the open world really immersive was long overdue & if RD2 keeps its promises, it'll be a game changer IMO. No more laziness will be tolerated. Nope, it'll be "make this as good as Red Dead 2's open world or take a hike".

That would be good for the industry.

mitchman

Gold Member
Because it's just not how Rockstar operates. They never ever did something like that for any of their games.
Not concerning at all to me.

Ok, I don't have blind trust in any game developer anymore. When is the review embargo, anyone know?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Okay and why?
  • It's a R* game
  • RDR is sitting at a 95
  • The games media has been drooling over this since before it was announced (just read the previews)
  • It's going to be a great game

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Absolutely-fucking-not.gif

Sigh, guess I'll go ahead and start drafting up the divorce paperwork.

Damn you, Rockstar. Damn you, you inconsiderate home-wreckers.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm getting this game. I need this game ... but I've got to be honest and say there's something fishy about some of the previews. They keep talking about emergent gameplay and here we have an example. The problem is, this very scenario has also been spoken about in another preview. That wouldn't be a problem for me but the R* rep told this guy he's never seen that happen before. Clearly he had, unless the two people who had exactly the same thing happen where on opposite sides of the room, the rep didn't see it happen on both and coincidentally the same emergent moment happened at exactly the same event in exactly the same two hours. Do you see the problem here? There's some PR going on so it's hard to take it completely seriously. You'll also hear another 'emergent' moment that we've heard about in another preview.

I'm going into this thinking it's a RDR game and nothing more. That will do me nicely.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Its amazing but, Rockstar its one of the few developers that i trust almost blindly. Im pretty sure that this game has zero chance of being first: a typical Open World Game, a game that its not going to be a classic and a memorable one in the future

The game looks great but I won't be touching it until they've proved there's no microtransations in Single-Player.

Last edited:

-Xenokai-

Neo Member
Sony pays to get the RDR2 advertising while the Xbox One X users get the best availble version of the game, love it!

mitchman

Gold Member
I hope this doesn't turn into a horse and hunting simulator where you have to spend a lot of time making the horse, the camp and yourself happy with hunted food and what's not.

klosos

I hope this doesn't turn into a horse and hunting simulator where you have to spend a lot of time making the horse, the camp and yourself happy with hunted food and what's not.

I believe i read somewhere mate that Hunting is all optional and the most that will happen is other gang members will make snarky comments if you don't provide anything for the camp

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...on-2-extended-gameplay-preview-day-rockstars/

Rockstar say that it used 1000 actors to flesh out the inhabitants of its towns and wilderness. Each non-player character in the world has their own personality and mood state, which can be calmed or escalated by talking to them with a squeeze of the left trigger and choosing a dialogue option. Even if you barge into someone on the street, a time-honoured right of the open-world protagonist, you might have to apologise if you are looking to avoid a quarrel.

Last edited:
I'll wait for a "non paid" or "we'll blacklist your company for negative press" review before I buy. Didn't like Rdr1 and this looks exactly the same.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'll wait for a "non paid" or "we'll blacklist your company for negative press" review before I buy. Didn't like Rdr1 and this looks exactly the same.
It's possible to be both a great game and one that isn't for you. It's the reason I don't out much faith in reviews, especially the score.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got to go ahead and pre-order the Ultimate Edition. I have trusted Rockstar since I was a teen. A "preview" to someone who has already experienced the latter GTA's and other various games from Rockstar is just jargon if you ask me.
url

Top Bottom