• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Reremption is now backwards compatible on Xbox One

MaulerX

Party is over for now guys.

You can't play it offline.
I tried putting my console in offline mode and I got a message saying I needed to be online when I tried to play RDR.

I can still play mine offline? I didn't allow the patch to go thru though. Maybe that's what the patch is doing?

People are excited about being allowed to play a game they already own.

Here's the thing thou, it's not just about playing the game. It's also about gaining functionality like taking screenshots, Twitch streaming etc...

iMax

2PRJHyj.png

Chris1

So the disc version is being unlocked today? Did you guys read that news too?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Can7m6kWEAEX155.jpg:large[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's a Sunday and chat support know absolutely nothing.

[quote="LightOfTruth, post: 194499833"]Xbox One owners are lucky, This game is a true classic.

Considering how RDR looked on last gen consoles, can you guys even imagine how amazing the sequel will be on current gen? I am beyond hyped.[/QUOTE]
Game will look amazing no doubt, Rockstar always make amazing looking games for what's going on in it IMO. GTA V looked amazing, I still can't believe that thing could even run on last gen consoles.

I wonder how it's gonna sell after the beast that is GTA V.

Xbudz

This is great news. Hopefully Microsoft can get the Xbox 360 store integrated with Xbox One sooner rather than later.

Definitely interested in seeing some screenshots taken using the internal screenshot system. I've always wanted screenshots of this game but because it was never released on capable hardware, never really got them.

Chitown B

But I thought "it runs just like it did on 360, but better"? (Actual E3 conference quote)

Installing now btw but the shit performance puts a damper on my excitement. I might aswell play the PS3 version with Dualshock 4.

X1 forces VSync which can cause poorer performance.

Nameless

Watching The Revenant made me start re-reading Blood Meridian which has been giving that RDR itch. Might go ahead and fire it up on 360 with GAF.

Outside of town Xbox One is a solid 30 where xbox 360 sometimes dips to 28-29

But inside of the town if there are many buildings on screen Xbox One goes down to 26 fps

hmmm

Maybe they can still improve the experience. I mean it hasn't even been officially released yet so I feel it's a little early for this.

For the first 5 mins of that comparison vid, X1 consistently out performs the 360, being basically locked at 30FPS while 360 dips a few times. But then after 5mins in, when riding into town, X1 version goes between 25-30 while 360 version is mostly stable, dipping but not that low. During cutscenes, 360 drops to 20FPS while X1 sticks at 30. During the first shoot out, X1 sticks at 30 while 360 dips a bit but not much. Late in the video, X1 performs worse during some gun fights.

Zeta Oni

Would not surprise me if these accidental "leaks" are being staged for hype.

*Somewhere else in the world, Phil Spencer hands a copy of the amazon picture above to a rockstar exec and stares intently into their eyes.*

Chris1

Did they really pull the game? How come? "Leak"?

It wasn't supposed to be released yet, which is why you had to use a weird workaround and why the DLC didn't work yet.

What this means is that it's almost certainly going to be BC at one point, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Kordelle

Anyone else wondering if there will be a Superbowl Ad with all these titles and the unlock happening right after that?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Anyone else wondering if there will be a Superbowl Ad with all these titles and the unlock happening right after that?
Hmmm, I could see Microsoft paying $5M/30 sec. to advertise to dozens of millions that Red Dead Redemption and Black Ops are available only on Xbox One. Obviously they wouldn't get a boatload of return on that, but it would give the BC feature a massive exposure and boost.
I doubt it would happen, though, but those two specific games, maybe. With any other games, probably not.

Anarckhy

Neo Member
RDR should be up later on today and discs will also work. Credits to GTAOnlineNews on Twitter. BTW this was a chat convo with Xbox Support.
Can7m6kWEAEX155.jpg:large

Kordelle

Hmmm, I could see Microsoft paying $5M/30 sec. to advertise to dozens of millions that Red Dead Redemption and Black Ops are available only on Xbox One. Obviously they wouldn't get a boatload of return on that, but it would give the BC feature a massive exposure and boost.
I doubt it would happen, though, but those two specific games, maybe. With any other games, probably not.
Maybe that was the condition from R* to give the ok :D

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

You realize the marketing budget for a new AAA release is about 20 million and a minute of Superbowl ad time costs 10 million?

etta

my hard graphic balls
You realize the marketing budget for a new AAA release is about 20 million and a minute of Superbowl ad time costs 10 million?
It could explain why this was ready on a Saturday/Sunday.
Still highly unlikely lol.

Sony better get on with porting this to the PS4.

I don't care about the "code held together by gaffer tape" (an actual statement by some dev about their convoluted and troublesome time developing the game). Just do it, make it happen.

I want to replay this badly on my PS4 because I don't have money to buy a Xbox.
Just wait for RDR3.

I don't care about the "code held together by gaffer tape" (an actual statement by some dev about their convoluted and troublesome time developing the game). Just do it, make it happen.

Conduit

Banned

19 fps during shooting session on Xbone. Really?

For the first 5 mins of that comparison vid, X1 consistently out performs the 360, being basically locked at 30FPS while 360 dips a few times. But then after 5mins in, when riding into town, X1 version goes between 25-30 while 360 version is mostly stable, dipping but not that low. During cutscenes, 360 drops to 20FPS while X1 sticks at 30. During the first shoot out, X1 sticks at 30 while 360 dips a bit but not much. Late in the video, X1 performs worse during some gun fights.

I see that X360 dips mostly in cut-scenes ( and during horse riding @3:00) where Xbone is more stable. But after in video, gameplay is a different story on Xbone.

The only way that it's going to happen on PS4 natively, is if Rockstar themselves port the game over to the console like with GTA V & with the GTA Trilogy on PS2 Classics.

They'll most likely give us a sequel instead.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
19 fps during shooting session on Xbone. Really?

I see that X360 dips in cut-scenes where Xbone is stable. But gameplay is a different story.

19 fps is physically impossible on Xbox One. It's running at 20 fps with minor dips to 15 in that sequence, it's what Vsync does.

It could explain why this was ready on a Saturday/Sunday.
Still highly unlikely lol.

Just wait for RDR3.

Well, since I'm still waiting for a new Bully, I probably shouldn't hold my breath for this.

Rockstar will go where the money is, and it is, right now, on countless instalments of GTA and random updates for the online portion of it.

velociraptor

Backwards compatibility doesn't add improvements to the games, it runs them exactly how they did on the 360, the only technical difference is that Xbox One forces V-sync. This is not a remaster release.
But resolution/framerate is the easiest way to improve a game with a more powerful system. Happens with PC games all the time. Thought the more powerful XBO would improve the framerate at the very least. Too bad.

Thats pretty cool. Kudos to the engineers at ms!!!!

I never played it so i kind of hope it becomes a gwg or a bc addon when rsr2 comes out

Top Bottom