• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, that was full on intentional (I mentioned it as soon he appeared in the 'OT' thread - sadly there was no real OT for this). Landis is a fanboy and when Aaron Douglas asked 'what's my character' he probably just pointed to Plinkett as a base. He made something great out of Gordon Rimmer as his own character though. The meta aspect just makes it more fun to watch.

Dirk Gently was surprisingly entertaining, with Dirk and Todd being a main draw for it, and that nobody knows wtf is going on. I felt excited for its new episodes, whereas I felt nothing but 'oh we have to do this now, sigh' for Westworld past episode six. Completely expectation reversal on those two shows, where one had an amazing pilot but failed to deliver on its promising aspects and the other had a zany, kind of messy, pilot, but completely delivered on its premise.
I was surprised Landis was able to pull that off, honestly. Very unexpected. (also, he got soooooooo lucky on Samuel Barnett playing Dirk, like holy shit. Can you imagine someone else trying to play that part? )

The fact that I want to talk about this show more than about AmazingMazingMazeWorld kind of says it all. Great music in both though.
https://twitter.com/theaarondouglas/status/802946177750532097
I just decided to google his name to see if anything came up and he says he never heard of Plinkett. Oh well. lol

And yeah, I marathoned the show and it really works well. I was a bit thrown off since it is nothing like the BBC Dirk Gently from a while ago, but once I got over that, it works. I almost feel like this is a more successful version of what Preacher tried to do.

https://twitter.com/theaarondouglas/status/802946177750532097
I just decided to google his name to see if anything came up and he says he never heard of Plinkett. Oh well. lol

Wut wut wuuut

That's one hell of a serendipitous coincidence.

(also, I've never seen or familiar with Preacher, so I can't compare. But then I also didn't watch the previous Dirk Gently adaptation, so I didn't have expectations on it, other then being based on a Adams work)

ExVicis

-snipped-.

as far as AT ATs go, i dont know if they made sense in Rogue One. should have only been AT STs since they are more like the standard tanks. AT ATs are for base assaults, more like artillery since they move very slow. AT ATs look like they are designed to obliterate stationary targets only.

AT-AT's are like siege weaponry. you use them for base assault not for defense. You wouldn't use a Ballista inside your own Fortifications.

On the different topic of Rogue One, Mark Kermode pointed something out I hadn't noticed yet, and that is the fact that for a relatively crowded movie in terms of characters, we are never confused where they are, why, or where they're going. Which is a skill worth mentioning. By contrast, TFA is a random mess of 'stuff'.
And yes, I fucking hated TFA because it was so boring. I get that people needed it, but RO is a far better movie than TFA is, since TFA is essentially a hollow party trick of pretending not to be ANH while doing exactly that.
Eh that's not really that impressive a feat when you consider Bodhi, Chirruc and everyone else not Cassian or Jyn didn't really have that much to do. And when they did have something to do they made sure to say what they were doing or they needed to do about 3 to 4 times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They don't have anything new to say here. It's all the same stuff they've covered already, but now added mockery of people that liked the movie.

The Half in the Bag was enough, stop talking about Rogue One already.
It's not really about Rogue One though. It's the natural conclusion to their fanboy parody videos that started with their fake trailer reactions from a while ago.

The "Geek Crate" thing only makes sense if you listen to a lot of podcasts and have to suffer through grown men telling you to pay someone to ship you junk in a box every week. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's also the only part that's actually funny.
I listen to enough youtube pop culture podcasts as white noise to appreciate the fact that they're spending a lot of time to say absolutely nothing, so maybe I find it funnier than it actually is. Of course, I'm assuming the entire thing is improv and they're just coming up with all the nonsense they're spouting right off the cuff.

They don't have anything new to say here. It's all the same stuff they've covered already, but now added mockery of people that liked the movie.

The Half in the Bag was enough, stop talking about Rogue One already.
I enjoy mockery

And they're mocking "nerd" YouTube channels, not people who liked the movie.

Personally, I loved this new video. What the detractors of this video don't understand is that it's a war video and I was able to care for the first time ever about the plight of the video producers over at Collider video. I would give it 8 out of 10.

Man, they are going all in on Rogue One and reactions to it. I don't know if I love it or hate it, but it is generating a lot of content!

The next RLM Rogue One video should just be them getting out bats and laying into a prop horse body for 10 minutes while praising/tearing down Rogue One. I ain't even mad about their reaction to fan reactions of their RO opinion, I just want to see them take it to the next level by beating a literal dead horse.

The next RLM Rogue One video should just be them getting out bats and laying into a prop horse body for 10 minutes while praising/tearing down Rogue One. I ain't even mad about their reaction to fan reactions of their RO opinion, I just want to see them take it to the next level by beating a literal dead horse.
Maybe a tonton?

Syder

One of the best parts of the video is when Mike mentions The Force Awakens and says 'I liked it when it came out now it sucks' and just goes back to praising Rogue One without skipping a beat. I think people are kind of missing that they're also having dig at their own initial review of TFA here as well as the mass hysteria about the new SW films and general 'nerd culture'.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I must also add that I love this video.

Oddly enough I have noticed that a lot of other videos of this type do mention getting an early screening before hand

I must also add that I love this video.

Oddly enough I have noticed that a lot of other videos of this type do mention getting an early screening before hand

That's how it works nowadays. Just give social media megafans all the same privileges you would usually give to professional critics and watch the blindly positive WOM drown out all the 2/5 reviews.

Top Bottom