• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Cheerilee

"My idea is a solo Jar Jar Binks movie"

So Max Landis's interpretation of "How would you fix the Star Wars universe?" was "How would you finally kill off the Star Wars franchise"?

I saw Victor Lucas (from Electric Playground) interviewing Freddie Wong (independent filmmaker) a couple weeks ago, and he said something similar.

As a writing exercise, he likes to challenge himself. So he asked himself "What if Disney asked me to make a solo Jar Jar movie?" He gave it some thought and concluded that Jar Jar was a tragic figure, who swore a life-debt to Qui Gon Jinn, and then not only did he let Qui Gon die, but he was manipulated by Palpatine into contributing to the deaths of the entire Jedi Order. And then, he's best buds with Darth Vader, the most evil bad guy in the universe (also manipulated by Palpatine). There's story potential there, it's just drowned in hatred for the character of Jar Jar, so nobody ever looks.

He said that by the end of his movie, he'd make you cry for the death of Jar Jar.

I saw Victor Lucas (from Electric Playground) interviewing Freddie Wong (independent filmmaker) a couple weeks ago, and he said something similar.

As a writing exercise, he likes to challenge himself. So he asked himself "What if Disney asked me to make a solo Jar Jar movie?" He gave it some thought and concluded that Jar Jar was a tragic figure, who swore a life-debt to Qui Gon Jinn, and then not only did he let Qui Gon die, but he was manipulated by Palpatine into contributing to the deaths of the entire Jedi Order. And then, he's best buds with Darth Vader, the most evil bad guy in the universe (also manipulated by Palpatine). There's story potential there, it's just drowned in hatred for the character of Jar Jar, so nobody ever looks.

He said that by the end of his movie, he'd make you cry for the death of Jar Jar.

Have you ever heard the tragedy of Councillor Jar Jar the Gungan?

jviggy43

So Max Landis's interpretation of "How would you fix the Star Wars universe?" was "How would you finally kill off the Star Wars franchise"?
Na, that's the han solo movie. Phantom menace was already basically a solo jar jar movie.

Without Jar Jar the empire would have never been formed meaning episodes 4-6 wouldn't have happened. You could argue Jar Jar saved Star Wars from being 6 movies about tension between the senate and separatist over the taxation of trade routes

Without Jar Jar the empire would have never been formed meaning episodes 4-6 wouldn't have happened. You could argue Jar Jar saved Star Wars from being 6 movies about tension between the senate and separatist over the taxation of trade routes
Would you say that Jar Jar is the key to all of this?

Exodust

Banned

All Max Landis ideas sound like an edgy teen writing film scripts based on fan theories and the TV Tropes page for deconstruction. I'm not surprised he'd say that.

A Jar Jar movie would be more interesting than a Han Solo/Yoda/Boba Fett movie at least.
As long as it has a scene of him like drowning himself in alcohol while staring out a window as it rains.

"meesa never wanted this. Anni wasa good guy. Anni was meesas best friend. Now yousa gotta drink the sorrow away. Long live the empire"

kevin1025

Banned
Not to spoil too much, but Jar Jar did get a finale of sorts in a recent Star Wars book (well, what he's been up to, at least).

Reintroduction before full Star Wars Story!

Joeku

Tired of these games. PUBG and Friday13 are boring to watch and they are too focused on the game to actually talk about stuff.

Not going to disagree, I haven't been watching much recently. But I've come to the conclusion that if in the end Previously Recorded gave me nothing but that The Order 1886 review, it was ultimately worth it.

Holy shit. This may have been one of the funniest BOTW episodes ever. I was laughing so hard at all three of the movies.

Rich Evans vs. Alien was the icing on the cake. Everything about this episode was fantastic. The jokes, the movies, the running gags. So great.

Fat4all

Banned
the-room-14.jpg

black tank tops

the fashion of auteurs worldwide

I'm wondering when they will set a Patreon goal for people to pick films for them.

i recall them saying that they've had people begging them to watch films before and I think they refuse to watch them because of that. I think they just expect the films will be too mainstream or vanilla compared to their 'refined' tastes.

Surprised it took so many years after the breakup with Jessie to be removed finally from the BotW intro.

Also, the Wonder Woman review was bad and the complaining about diversity is becoming a sad pathetic joke.

I barely watch rlm stuff anymore. :(

Vanpastel

Surprised it took so many years after the breakup with Jessie to be removed finally from the BotW intro.

Also, the Wonder Woman review was bad and the complaining about diversity is becoming a sad pathetic joke.

I barely watch rlm stuff anymore. :(

Was there really a breakup? As far as I remember she doesn't show up anymore because some fans got really creepy with her.

What was the intro with all the bleeping referencing?
Wasn't sure at first and still am not entirely sure, but after the episode I just assumed they went back to re-record the intro and add a bunch of useless bleeping and mouth censoring to make fun of all of the censoring Jay had to do this episode.

William

Oh okay, I guess that's a movie term I didn't know.

I know that they have referenced it in films they watched on BOTW before, it seems its a cheap way of getting night time shots without the need for actually filming in the dark. Must be quite common in low budget movies.

Top Bottom