• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

imBask

Banned
"if there's someone behind you it's not really tactics, it's a little bit of luck"

I don't know if Rich has even been more wrong than that, except for the Tums festival

EDIT : nevermind : "you don't have a fair chance to win in PUBG"

Valtýr

"if there's someone behind you it's not really tactics, it's a little bit of luck"

I don't know if Rich has even been more wrong than that, except for the Tums festival

EDIT : nevermind : "you don't have a fair chance to win in PUBG"

Lol this prerec is one of the most off the mark ones they've had. At the end the even said they struggle to recommend and say they don't think people will play it... A game that has sold over 6mil and has over 500k concurrent players.

Weird vid

Valtýr;245488950 said:
Lol this prerec is one of the most off the mark ones they've had. At the end the even said they struggle to recommend and say they don't think people will play it... A game that has sold over 6mil and has over 500k concurrent players.

Weird vid

Something can be popular and yet you still wouldn't recommend it to people if they asked.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Valtýr;245488950 said:

Weird vid

Rich said that he wouldn't recommend it to himself or people like him, that he only had fun when playing with Jack, and Jack said the shitty matches they played together were fun because at least it was them playing it together. So it's unlikely that people who, like them, would enjoy playing it in the context they did would actually get to play the game in that context. Most people will likely just end up playing it solo and feel miserable like they did when playing it solo, not by choice, so they don't recommend it.

This review was good and made sense.

imBask

Banned
Rich said that he wouldn't recommend it to himself or people like him, that he only had fun when playing with Jack, and Jack said the shitty matches they played together were fun because at least it was them playing it together. So it's unlikely that people who, like them, would enjoy playing it in the context they did would actually get to play the game in that context. Most people will likely just end up playing it solo and feel miserable like they did when playing it solo, not by choice, so they don't recommend it.

This review was good and made sense.

that part maybe

the part where they describe the game mechanics and how "unfair" they are and how "there's no tactics in getting shot and not knowing where it came from", followed by a video of jack running in the middle of a field with a target on his back? not so much. That part was straight up ignorant, and they didn't understand that the tactical part is to find the best path not to end up in that situation

Valtýr;245488950 said:

Weird vid

game isn't for everybody, they could just as easily be saying that for them specifically it isn't for them.

It's like have you never seen something that is commercially acclaimed yet a reviewer can't recommend it? Seems like the "people won't play it" comment might have been bad word choice for them saying they don't see the appeal.

game isn't for everybody, they could just as easily be saying that for them specifically it isn't for them.

It's like have you never seen something that is commercially acclaimed yet a reviewer can't recommend it? Seems like the "people won't play it" comment might have been bad word choice for them saying they don't see the appeal.

There's also something to be said for having fun with a game but thinking that it's flawed or not a very good game mechanically when it comes time to review it. Things like Goat Simulator can be pretty fun/funny to play but it isn't what I'd call a good game. I don't think PUBG is very good. It's a hell of a lot better than the things it's based on and it has enough good ideas that could be made into a better game down the line. It's just not a very robust experience, in my opinion. It really needs to be played with a group to have fun and at that point I'd rather just play any other number of games that I can have fun with a group in.

Tambini

noooo I'm going away without internet for a few weeks tonight i'm gonna miss it! Can't wait for the shit storm that is sure to follow it

Gui_PT

9104790822_2f892fae8a_o.gif

This could either be a moment of redemption for them to basically say "fuck you, we're not alt right, we like women in movies and are progressive af", or the moment that makes them double down on everything problematic they've said recently.

I love RLM. I donate 15$ every month to them. I even fucking fall asleep listening to their stuff. They've helped me through a lot of hard periods, but they've definitely been dog whistling a bit recently.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
noooo I'm going away without internet for a few weeks tonight i'm gonna miss it! Can't wait for the shit storm that is sure to follow it

Congratulations, you played yourself.

This could either be a moment of redemption for them to basically say "fuck you, we're not alt right, we like women in movies and are progressive af", or the moment that makes them double down on everything problematic they've said recently.

I love RLM. I donate 15$ every month to them. I even fucking fall asleep listening to their stuff. They've helped me through a lot of hard periods, but they've definitely been dog whistling a bit recently.
But what if they dont actually like the movie and give constructive examples of why that is?

JoeInky

There's definitely a lot more to work with in the ghost busters reboot than there was with the force awakens, so I'm expecting this one to not be shit like the last plinkett review.

Don't think that this is the movie for that to happen, they hated it, so I don't see them praising it just because it's main characters are all female.

I mean they're definitely going to talk about the controversy surrounding it, and probably go into why they believe certain decisions in the film were made. I think that's pretty inevitable.

But I also hope that's not all it is and he goes deep into the filmmaking aspects of it.

I haven't seen the new Ghostbusters, honestly, but I may watch it in anticipation of this review.

JoeInky

There's going to be atleast 5 minutes about how they feel Sony played the controversy as a marketing ploy, even if they've gone over it multiple times now.

It's so crazy because now that they've done the SW prequels, SW:TFA, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I don't ever think about "I wonder when they are going to get to their next Plinkett review..."

AND THEN BAM.

Don't think that this is the movie for that to happen, they hated it, so I don't see them praising it just because it's main characters are all female.

I of course don't want them to say "this is good because it has women in it", but they have at times brought up how bad representation of women in movies is in general, as well have they mentioned how the treatment of Leslie Jones was horrible and so on.

But what if they dont actually like the movie and give constructive examples of why that is?

I will applaud them for making a critique of the movie, as it is a broken mess. But it would be nice if they kept it pragmatic, while at the same time bringing up the politics around the movie and the movie business in general, acknowledging problems in the industry.

The people who dislike red letter media already decided as much, this isnt going to change their opinion regardless of what they say.

I hope they have better arguments than the conspiracy shit that's for sure.

What conspiracy shit? Don't really follow rlm talk aside from this thread.
That scientist man video where they talk about stats on the YouTube video and how sony was using the negativity to market the film.

Maybe they have some points made, but it's hard to take them seriously when they had been mocking the film until then and I have little to no reason to trust their points on YouTube comments when I don't know how much they know about YouTube commenting data.

And unfortunately that was the beginning of the end for many on gaf. For me I like them regardless, but it's getting tiresome that every thread in regular off topic always returns to the same cycle of arguments.

CDiggity

I wonder if we have RLM video comment bingo cards. Seems like people will go through the same motions, especially since this is a film they have already touched upon.

I do wonder how much of the review is gonna be on the fan outcry regarding the movie than the movie itself, seeing as the actual review would likely just be a repeat of their HiTB episode with less Jay. Kinda like the Plinkett Force Awakens video.

Still, more Plinkett is great news. Even his Transfivers 5 video.

Depending on the review I might just ignore the OT thread because arguing with gaf on RLM gets tiresome. They're valid points brought up but when it's the same arguments over and over and over again I want to get off the ride.

Aiii

So not worth it
Depending on the review I might just ignore the OT thread because arguing with gaf on RLM gets tiresome. They're valid points brought up but when it's the same arguments over and over and over again I want to get off the ride.

I don't mind legit criticism. They are not without flaws, nobody is. Or people that simply disagree with their points because reasons, that's fine, too.

But when you get the "they said little girls shouldn't have role models" when they say "Wonder Woman isn't a role model, the female director of this movie totally is" that is where I have to bow out.

jviggy43

I don't mind legit criticism. They are not without flaws, nobody is. Or people that simply disagree with their points because reasons, that's fine, too.

But when you get the "they said little girls shouldn't have role models" when they say "Wonder Woman isn't a role model, the female director of this movie totally is" that is where I have to bow out.
I mean that too is a stupid argument made by them.

Exactly, far too many people not just on gaf but everywhere online want you to reach their level of purity or you're a sexist/racist/pos and vice versa in the garbage corners if you don't sink to their level of depravity you're a libtard/cuck/sjw. Taking the rlm gb16 scientist man video as an example, they didn't come out and directly say "stop giving sexist a platform" so that made them alt-right trash that made people unfollow them despite the point of the video being to stop labeling everyone who doesn't like the movie as a sexist pos since they're a vocal minority. With topics like this rlm's black satirical comedy is completely lost on people.

Top Bottom