• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Ghostbusters 2016 is genuinely one of the most fucking terrible films I have ever seen and I am delighted that it's going to be eviscerated. I actually like Paul Feig films usually and enjoy the actresses work for the most part but I was stunned at what a hateful cynical piece of shit the whole affair was.

Geeky

I cannot see what they can say with their Half in the Bag episode already being so in depth much like The Force Awakens.

They have the re:view to talk about how the original was so inspirational to them and the Ghostbusters 2 commentary to talk about the failings of that movie.

Maybe they can take a look at that extended version. Maybe throw some shade at the disgraced Devin Faraci who was at the forefront of defending this movie, but ended up being a creep.

I hope it is coming out tomorrow and not a troll or maybe it's a troll review like Cop Dog/Baby's Day Out to set up another Plinkett review.

EVOL 100%

Oh boy.

Checked the GAF thread, oh boy.

Maybe it's my affection for them blinding me, but I really don't follow how rlm panders to the alt right, when they're actually quite good at pointing out racist and sexist bullshit in their videos

It makes you wonder whether people latch on to the videos like Fuck You it's January instead of actually watching their more 'serious' content, where they're actually pretty fair

They've had some weird/out of touch opinions time to time but those seemed to have come mostly from a position from ignorance than anything

Ghostbusters 2016 is genuinely one of the most fucking terrible films I have ever seen and I am delighted that it's going to be eviscerated. I actually like Paul Feig films usually and enjoy the actresses work for the most part but I was stunned at what a hateful cynical piece of shit the whole affair was.
Did you like The Heat?

Tambini

I'm glad Off Topic can take some time out of their busy schedule of wanking over comic book movies to tell us how awful RLM and in turn we are

I'm just hoping its good. TFA review was pretty bad I thought. They seem to have been on fire since Rogue One came out though, so I'm hopeful.
TFA Plinkett was bad because they had little genuine criticism over the film itself. They have more issues with the fanbase, but their criticism over the audience was better down with the nerd crew videos.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh boy.

Checked the GAF thread, oh boy.

Maybe it's my affection for them blinding me, but I really don't follow how rlm panders to the alt right, when they're actually quite good at pointing out racist and sexist bullshit in their videos

It makes you wonder whether people latch on to the videos like Fuck You it's January instead of actually watching their more 'serious' content, where they're actually pretty fair

They've had some weird/out of touch opinions time to time but those seemed to have come mostly from a position from ignorance than anything

They do not, but you know how OT is, they form an opinion and then stretch the narrative to make sure it fits them. And no matter what you say, you are scum unless you agree.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

why do you hate women and how much do you love the alt right

Haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, it was on our list to go watch in the theater, obviously that didn't happen. Wanted to really bad after watching HitB actually, made me hyped to go see it. Their tastes in movies seem to be similar to mine and they're super cynical which my husband and I are all the time.

Honestly though, I'm not looking forward to this review. Not because I care about the controversy, but simply because I have no interest in the film.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
They will definitely spend the whole first half of the review talking about Sony, manufactured marketing, and telling women what they should *really* care about in representation. But maybe there will be fun film analysis too.

GAF has a high standard of left opinions and an extremely low standard of anything swaying away from that

I don't mind GAF being a more left forum since it keeps a lot of garbage and hate out, but some users' tendencies of politicizing everything and oversensitive reactionary attitudes over something as little as some YouTube channel not liking the Ghostbuster reboot is ridiculous. You don't have to like it, RLM is not for everyone, but you also don't have to argue about everything.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't mind GAF being a more left forum since it keeps a lot of garbage and hate out, but some users' tendencies of politicizing everything and oversensitive reactionary attitudes over something as little as some YouTube channel not liking the Ghostbuster reboot is ridiculous. You don't have to like it, RLM is not for everyone, but you also don't have to argue about everything.

I really didn't want to have to post here but to think the hate is because they didn't like the Ghosbusters is ridiculous. Bobby Roberts back when the video hit outlined just how uncomfortable their comments about Rey were in the TFA video, and earlier this year their comments about feminist agendas when it came to Wonder Woman marketing rubbed people the wrong way.

It has nothing to do with liking or not liking the Ghostbusters reboot. That is just silly to try and spin. The dislike of RLM has built up over time as their sexist jokes became more of a trend than a eyebrow raising one off slip. With this post I will leave the thread, I just had to say trying to claim RLM gets hate because they didn't like Ghosbusters has nothing do at all with the build up annoyance and vitriol against RLM.

It's mostly centered on people not wanting sexist jokes being treated as acceptable on a YouTube channel that a lot of kids watch. That is the center of this. In this political environment we have to be careful about the sort of messages we put out there to younger impressionable people, and RLM is something that has a lot of young eyes.

Cheerilee

What conspiracy shit? Don't really follow rlm talk aside from this thread.

They said (they weren't the first to say it, but they boosted the signal by repeating the theory) that Sony released an unfunny trailer for a movie that was badly timed in terms of being the straw that broke many camels backs regarding the creative bankruptcy of Hollywood (one of RLM's common complaints), and that it was perhaps-appropriately blasted as the most downvoted youtube movie trailer to-date.

But then Sony has "comment delete" ability on their own youtube videos (can't do anything about the downvotes), so they deleted large amounts of moderately negative comments, but left the horrible racist/misogynist shit lying exactly where it was (there's unfortunately always some degree of horrible racist/misogynist shit to be found in youtube comments, especially if your video has black people or women), which highlighted the shit, and (combined with a marketing effort that pushed this narrative) made it look as if the vast majority of people liked the trailer, but a small minority of hateful trolls messed with the downvotes. This had two intended effects: 1, it dismissed all of the movie/trailer's criticism, and 2, it called a manipulated army of progressives in to defend the movie purely on principle. This tactic had a third, unintended effect: It called in an emboldened army of shitheads, who had heard on the news that this movie was the place for shitheads to gather and shit. Sony is the one that turned this movie from an unfunny reboot into a terribly ugly battlefield.

I really didn't want to have to post here but to think the hate is because they didn't like the Ghosbusters is ridiculous. Bobby Roberts back when the video hit outlined just how uncomfortable their comments about Rey were in the TFA video, and earlier this year their comments about feminist agendas when it came to Wonder Woman marketing rubbed people the wrong way.

It has nothing to do with liking or not liking the Ghostbusters reboot. That is just silly to try and spin. The dislike of RLM has built up over time as their sexist jokes became more of a trend than a eyebrow raising one off slip. With this post I will leave the thread, I just had to say trying to claim RLM gets hate because they didn't like Ghosbusters has nothing do at all with the build up annoyance and vitriol against RLM.

It's mostly centered on people not wanting sexist jokes being treated as acceptable on a YouTube channel that a lot of kids watch. That is the center of this. In this political environment we have to be careful about the sort of messages we put out there to younger impressionable people, and RLM is something that has a lot of young eyes.

RLM is quite clearly a channel intended for mature audiences. You can't just babysit your child in front one of their videos. It's not their fault if young people end up taking up the wrong message from them.

I honestly don't get what you mean by their Wonder Woman video, pointless now since you'd likely leave this thread but continue to dwell on the other thread in the OP, but their WW is generally positive on the depiction of females as strong main characters. What feminist agendas do you mean if not a positive one?

A lot of kids watch multiple things, that's up to the parent's discretion. These guys are watching the latest Hollywood flicks and reviewing them, but the grand majority of their content and fanbase are into the older obscure films that these kids wouldn't know.

This was never a youtube channel aimed at kids or teens.

Their comment on Wonder Woman is misguided and tone deaf because they aren't looking at the larger picture, but it comes off more as ignorant vs hateful. If you looked at it in a vacuum it wouldn't be a horrible point to bring up.

Averon

There are things to criticize RLM for, but I never thought "Please think of the children!!!" as one of them. That's quite a weird angle to attack RLM as it was never a channel aimed at or promoted for children consumption.

Cheebo

Banned
The message is we should as a culture avoid sexist jokes because of what it represents and how the rabid alt-right movement seems to feed on them, especially young impressionable alt-right leaning teens. The same way we try to completely shun racist jokes. RLM still makes dumb sexist jokes and well, they shouldn't in today's political environment. That's all it is. People have a lot lower of a tolerance for sexist jokes due to what has gone down with Trump, the alt-right, and GameGate.

Has nothing do with liking a certain movie or not.

The message is we should as a culture avoid sexist jokes because of what it represents and how the rabid alt-right movement seems to feed on them, especially young impressionable alt-right leaning teens. The same way we try to completely shun racist jokes. RLM still makes dumb sexist jokes and well, they shouldn't in today's political environment. That's all it is. People have a lot lower of a tolerance for sexist jokes due to what has gone down with Trump, the alt-right, and GameGate.

Abso-fucking-lutely not. Nothing in comedy is sacred, regardless of political climate. The alt-right will latch on to everything and anybody, and will just as quickly turn on them for making comments that are pro-diversity and pro-women as they've done in the past before.

If you have to tread through egg shells in comedy you will reach a point you can't say shit because you'll offend somebody, anybody. If audiences hate it they can 'vote with their wallets' and make it known they don't approve.

For reference's sake I follow and support a comedian who has a podcast, he is pro-Trump but calls himself a libertarian. He has guests that are right leaning, but two of his recurring guests are liberals. You would think the reddit page and fanbase would be largely alt-right edgy kids? No. It's almost split down the middle. Most controversial topics of discussion in the reddit page has people arguing for both sides. Many in here would likely call ir liken the podcast artist an alt-right scumbag, but I enjoy his content and points of views.

If the member of the audience dislikes that RLM continues these types of jokes and it truly bothers them that much, plenty of channels have sprung up since RLM started that are equally if not very close in quality, I'm sure plenty of them have politically appropriate humor.

Aiii

So not worth it

None of which have anything to do with RLM.

Also stop saying ”people" when you are voicing your personal opinions. You are not speaking for the world.

Exodust

Banned

Come on, Cheebs. Humor is humor, I'd never blame anything for a misaimed audience. That crowd would be around whether RLM made the jokes they made or not.

Gamergate was less an influence on the election or political climate so much as it was a group of alt-righters identifying themselves within the videogame scene(and holy hell I'm sick of hearing about them, I never see them mentioned outside of GAF). RLM have made plenty of jokes against Trump yet that's never brought up around here, just because they don't fit exactly to one doesn't make them the other.

I can understand not liking the humor yourself. But if it isn't for you then that's it, it's not for you. Don't watch it, close the tab, unsubscribe, whatever.

Syder

This could either be a moment of redemption for them to basically say "fuck you, we're not alt right, we like women in movies and are progressive af", or the moment that makes them double down on everything problematic they've said recently.
This is a Plinkett Review.

They're going to mercilessly tear it to shreds.

you're talking about a forum where people started calling Nick Robinson an "alt-right nazi" because he sexually harassed women. There's not much room for nuance to be found in a lot of general topics. if something is problematic, push it into the nazi bucket so it's easier to get mad without self-reflection.

LakeEarth

Jesus Christ at that thread! I mean, the RLM guys have said some insensitive jokes and they deserve to be called out on it, but calling them Alt-Right is fucking insanity. Multiple videos have contained Trump bashing in it.

One person complained about that joke that Spiderman Homecoming had "more diversity then a college advertisement". How is that evidence of some sort of ulterior right-wing motive? I mean, multiple characters who are traditionally white in Spiderman comics and movies were cast to PoC (NOT a bad thing), it'd be weird if they didn't comment on that.

As for the Plinkett Review, based on all the Sony bashing they make I hope that it's more of a critic on Sony Films, using Ghostbusters 16 as a framing device.

Top Bottom