• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Wait you're cynical because you know the fire was real/planned and wanted to believe it was faked? I don't understand what you mean by that.

Sorry. I meant I would say I couldn't believe they would make something as stupid and pandering as a Death Star popcorn maker, but I'm cynical enough to believe it's a real product.

Sorry. I meant I would say I couldn't believe they would make something as stupid and pandering as a Death Star popcorn maker, but I'm cynical enough to believe it's a real product.

Ahh yes that makes a lot more sense. It is also the scary thing about these fake pod cast episodes and general "star wars facts/plot speculation" videos is that half of the merch and lore is real and half is fake and it's hard to tell what is what.

Episode 5 of Nerd Crew was hilarious. They just keep on hitting those home runs out of the park.

I loved the gag with the fire in the Death Star popcorn machine (I would say I couldn't believe it was real, but I'm too cynical). Did anyone else get Troy McClure vibes when Rich was talking about how it was so quiet.
I thought it was as direct a reference as one could expect from RLM.

Euphony

Banned
Due to some technical issues with the IT re:View footage, it looks like it's unfortunately not going to happen. I was really looking forward to it too :(

Euphony

Banned
They're retooling they're discussion of the IT HitB to now include a section about the original mini series so it's not a complete loss. Hopefully it's pretty substantial like the one they did with Battlefield Earth.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Huh, I actually watched that "Nightmare on Drug Street" PSA that was featured on Wheel of the Worst back at D.A.R.E. Camp when I was in 6th Grade.

I think I like the ones where they watch weird instructional videos more than when they watch bad movies, to be honest.

Huh, I actually watched that "Nightmare on Drug Street" PSA that was featured on Wheel of the Worst back at D.A.R.E. Camp when I was in 6th Grade.

I think I like the ones where they watch weird instructional videos more than when they watch bad movies, to be honest.
I had seen that as well.

I got to see the insane 'Helen Hunt on PCP' PSA video in school before they made fun of it on SNL.

Hey gang.

Was it discussed how the commentary in the most recent Wheel of the Worst episode (#15) was ridiculously mean-spirited? And I mean, more so than what is usually the norm for these guys.

I love their brand of humor and I'm not all that sensitive when they take cheap shots that could come across as "cruel", but damn son.

This is the elderly drivers/DiCaprio/animal telepath tapes episode.

I'm laughing...but something about this episode seems off. Like they're really reaching for the cruelty to illicit some humor.

Probably just me, though.

Hey gang.

Was it discussed how the commentary in the most recent Wheel of the Worst episode (#15) was ridiculously mean-spirited? And I mean, more so than what is usually the norm for these guys.

I love their brand of humor and I'm not all that sensitive when they take cheap shots that could come across as "cruel", but damn son.

I'm laughing...but something about this episode seems off. Like they're really reaching for the cruelty to illicit some humor.

Are you an elderly dicaprio fan who can communicate with animals? Dunno why you'd be upset otherwise.

Fat4all

Banned
Hey gang.

im not really seeing any explicit cruelty

Hey gang.

I disagree. There was nothing in that episode that felt like a cheap shot. They've made fun of the elderly before (Osteoporosis Dance, anybody?), and the last two tapes were acceptable targets.

If there was any WotW I considered to be cruel, I would say it was their discussion of the Eloise Cole tape in WotW #9 (especially the part about hooking the baby up to the aquarium). There's a reason Colin says he'll be going to hell. I was laughing so hard at that one, but I felt horrible doing so. That's why I love that episode so much though. 10/10, would laugh again.

kevin1025

Banned
I think the cruelest joke they've ever done was the Dom DeLuise fat roll baby conversation. But it was also the hardest I've ever laughed at something they've done, so what do I know?

If there was any WotW I considered to be cruel, I would say it was their discussion of the Eloise Cole tape in WotW #9 (especially the part about hooking the baby up to the aquarium). There's a reason Colin says he'll be going to hell. I was laughing so hard at that one, but I felt horrible doing so. That's why I love that episode so much though. 10/10, would laugh again.

I think the cruelest joke they've ever done was the Dom DeLuise fat roll baby conversation. But it was also the hardest I've ever laughed at something they've done, so what do I know?

Same with exploding varmints, it was so horrible and yet so hilarious.

I think the real question is how horrible we are as a collective

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I just watched that one myself, couldn't breathe.

Another good one was the cannibal discussion with them talking about eating Shaq.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I just watched that one myself, couldn't breathe.

Another good one was the cannibal discussion with them talking about eating Shaq.

8iLU5Ul.jpg

kevin1025

Banned
I definitely agree the miniseries/TV movie doesn't hold up. But I liked the hell out of the new movie! Even though I didn't find it scary, it was everything else, along with the cinematography and the creepy visuals, that won me over. The characters and the humor were the standouts.

And I totally thought Friend Request was made up till I saw the Fear the Walking Dead daughter in the clips. I thought they were spoofing Unfriended. How many internet-based horror movies will there be?!

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
They didn’t seem all that down on it. Just that it had lots of wasted potential and went too far in the “BOOLOUDNOISE!!!” direction for their liking.

They both seemed to like the characters and the acting and cinematography and all that.

Haven't seen the movie yet but I get where they're coming from.

They've never been a huge fan of horror movies relying on startling noises for most of the scares

Cheerilee

I'm surprised that Mike didn't manage to work a Star Trek The Next Generation reference into there somehow (Stand By Me, starring Wil Wheaton aka Wesley Crusher from TNG, is supposed to be based on Stephen King's actual childhood, with Wil Wheaton playing the part of Stephen King).

OK. I've seen the original few times, and enjoyed it, but never read the book....

There's really an underage ganbang in the book? What kind of sick fuck is Stephen King?

I agree with King on this. What makes the murder of children okay, but gangbang, even when it made sense contextually, not okay? I still don't understand that line.

I agree with King on this. What makes the murder of children okay, but gangbang, even when it made sense contextually, not okay? I still don't understand that line.

I think the biggest problem is that it's not just the gangbang, but how it is described in detail, to the point of feeling like it's stephen being a pervert rather than a unsettling scene

OK. I've seen the original few times, and enjoyed it, but never read the book....

There's really an underage ganbang in the book? What kind of sick fuck is Stephen King?
"Gangbang" is kind of crude compared to how he writes it in the book. I guess because I think of like Salo or prison stories or that kind of context when I see that word. It's still fucked up and uncomfortable, but it didn't feel like it came across as exploitative when I read it. It also acts as a kind of an arc for her, as a direct rebuke against her father and her fear of him.

"Gangbang" is kind of crude compared to how he writes it in the book. I guess because I think of like Salo or prison stories or that kind of context when I see that word. It's still fucked up and uncomfortable, but it didn't feel like it came across as exploitative when I read it. It also acts as a kind of an arc for her, as a direct rebuke against her father and her fear of him.

or it's a hacky, cocaine-fueled fantasy that barely makes sense even in the context of that mess of a book

halfbeast

Banned
The Shining, decades ago.

I haven't read that one, but he can be very specific about the gross stuff. one of the short stories I read, was about a maid working in a hotel, who licked the semen off of a guest's sheet and (magically) got pregnant through that. his fantasy book had a king, who kept flicking boogers in his room.

The dumb LOUDNOISE-direction was exactly what I was fearing after the trailers and finally the leak of the opening. The movie isn't out for another month around here, so I'm now pretty turned off.

Rootbeer

Banned
I think the biggest problem is that it's not just the gangbang, but how it is described in detail, to the point of feeling like it's stephen being a pervert rather than a unsettling scene

There's lots of sexual stuff involving children in King's work. I'm not sure about the last 10 or so years of his stuff but in the 80s/90s he could barely go a book without including something along those lines.

I think in recent years he's said he wouldn't have included stuff such as the group sex scene from IT because he feels culturally we have shifted and he no longer things those passages are viewed in the same way given the different context those things have for society now after all the Catholic sexual abuse was uncovered, greater widespread understanding of the consequences of sexual abuse, and other things along those lines that have gradually pushed people's thinking on the matter.

His goals was for that stuff to read more like "wow that is really warped" but now it's seen more as "goddamn this writer is a fucking sick bastard in the worst way, why isn't he locked up yet?"

Top Bottom