• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

lhDnFyT.gif

I haven't laughed that much at something in quite a while, the new Nerdcrew was hilarious

Them cracking up at some of the ridiculous jokes and Wookiepedia articles got me pretty good.

At first I thought that fire in the popcorn maker was an effect they added, but thought it looked a little too real until Rich put the R2 head on it to try and extinguish the flames, haha.

So is there a reason these guys haven't been reviewing movies on half in the bag?
I can only assume they've stopped giving a fuck about reviewing movies they don't have a semblance of passion about.

Aka run of the mill Hollywood summer blockbusters. I would expect half in the bags for horror and superhero films more than anything.

Cheerilee

So is there a reason these guys haven't been reviewing movies on half in the bag?
I think it has to be a recent movie that Mike and Jay both watched. And lately they haven't been able to work up the enthusiasm to get both of them into the theater to see the same movie. Just a sense I got from the way they were trading impressions at the start of the Annabelle HitB.

Like, Jay saw the latest "Apes" movie but he wasn't able to drag Mike along.
Mike saw Atomic Blonde, but Jay couldn't be bothered.
Jay watched Dunkirk. Mike didn't for whatever reason
Mike's a Nazi
Mike watched The Dark Tower, while Jay said "nope".
Jay was willing to endure The Emoji Movie to try and make an entertaining HitB, but Mike chickened out.

They probably both watched the Annabelle prequel because Mike believes in ghosts, while Jay wanted to see something else from the director after accidentally roasting him on twitter.

I haven't laughed that much at something in quite a while, the new Nerdcrew was hilarious

Them cracking up at some of the ridiculous jokes and Wookiepedia articles got me pretty good.

At first I thought that fire in the popcorn maker was an effect they added, but thought it looked a little too real until Rich put the R2 head on it to try and extinguish the flames, haha.

I think I've felt that way in other RLM videos where they've lit sparklers, where I briefly get the impression that it's a fake effect, before I realize that it's a real effect. I'm guessing the sparklers are actually a little bit too bright for the cameras they're using, so the effect comes out the other end looking slightly unreal.

EVOL 100%

I've been getting the impression that they've been getting tired of the format lately. The skits and reviews just don't have the passion that they used to. It's probably because they have multiple projects going on, and thus Half in the Bag doesn't get the priority that it used to.

When's the next HitB you HACK FRAUDS

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
some dude at work was talking about getting off work and going to toys r us to buy the last jedi toys

very cool. very cool.

Aiii

So not worth it
New re:View coming up next. IT should be an interesting one

Love that miniseries, given the new movie coming out it makes sense.

Honestly though, I'd rather see them do The Stand, that one is underappreciated way more than IT.

EVOL 100%

(Picture of Rose and Finn from Last Jedi comes up)

RLM Crew: (Instantly start commenting on "minorities" in Star Wars)
As an Asian dude, the commentary rang true for me. Granted, I obviously don't speak for every minority out there, but it expressed my problem with Hollywood diversity. It's good that there's more diversity, but I'm not going to applaud them when shit like the Ghost in the Shell movie happens

(Picture of Rose and Finn from Last Jedi comes up)

RLM Crew: (Instantly start commenting on "minorities" in Star Wars)

I dunno how you can have an issue with their commentary, it's brutally honest because star wars for 30 years has had minorities, but every lead is a white male or female.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I dunno how you can have an issue with their commentary, it's brutally honest because star wars for 30 years has had minorities, but every lead is a white male or female.

I accept the point they were making about Star Wars continuing to show a general version to casting a minority lead, and it is a good one (even though Star Wars: Battlefront 2 recently announced it has an Indian female protagonist), but I can't help but feel RLM seems to have developed something of an obsession with talking constantly about the ethnicity of minority actors, as opposed to the actual characters they're playing...whilst continuing to dismiss Lucasfilm's attempts to bring in a more inclusive range of cast-members as corporate pandering. It just strikes me as kind of uncomfortable. They did the same thing with Force Awakens and Rogue One.

BigAT

I accept the point they were making about Star Wars continuing to show a general version to casting a minority lead (even though Star Wars: Battlefront 2 recently announced it has an Indian female protagonist), but I can't help but feel RLM seems to have developed something of an obsession with talking constantly about the enthnicity of minoritiy actors, as opposed to the actual characters they're playing...whilst continuing to dismiss Lucasfilm's attempts to bring in a more inclusive range of cast-members as corporate pandering.

When you bring in Chinese cast members explicitly because your previous movie didn't do well enough in China, what can you possibly call that but corporate pandering?

When you bring in Chinese cast members explicitly because your previous movie didn't do well enough in China, what can you possibly call that but corporate pandering?

Yeah, I've generally viewed their complaints about diversity in star wars as the studio not being sincere about having diversity. Disney trumpets diversity in star wars as a big deal, yet upon inspection that vast majority of those characters are either small support roles or end up having to be bailed out by their white lead star.

LakeEarth

I was watching Kong Skull Island, and it became immediately apparent that the asian actress (Tian Jing) did not actually know English. She was just phonetically saying things. I'm all for inclusive casting, but it becomes pandering when you hire famous Chinese actresses (who don't know the language she's speaking and thus acts like a wooden plank) rather than a struggling actresses in Hollywood.

Like, Jay saw the latest "Apes" movie but he wasn't able to drag Mike along.
Mike saw Atomic Blonde, but Jay couldn't be bothered.
Jay watched Dunkirk. Mike didn't for whatever reason
Mike's a Nazi
Mike watched The Dark Tower, while Jay said "nope".
Jay was willing to endure The Emoji Movie to try and make an entertaining HitB, but Mike chickened out.

Source? They both gave joke summaries for each movie.

Anything out there similar to RE: view but in podcast form?

Their commentaries on bandcamp I find are good enough substitute for podcasts.

Since you don't really have to be watching the movie at the same time as the commentaries are playing as the guys do go off tangent and talk about the movie itself in general at a few points.

Anth0ny

After the Vader video and now this one, I don't think I'd ever get sick of Mike with his deadpan-ass voice read wookiepedia articles while Rich cracks up

Episode 5 of Nerd Crew was hilarious. They just keep on hitting those home runs out of the park.

I loved the gag with the fire in the Death Star popcorn machine (I would say I couldn't believe it was real, but I'm too cynical). Did anyone else get Troy McClure vibes when Rich was talking about how it was so quiet.

I was with them so hard on the rest of it. It was fantastic. I thought Mike was going to throw in a fake photo when they were showing them to Rich (like the "Rey" toy in the Nerd Box). I also love the bit where Mike reads off Wookiepedia articles while Rich laughs. The fake trailer and the subsequent reaction was icing on the cake.

Top Bottom