• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Major Splatoon 2 Datamine (new maps, weapons and possible Octolings)

https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/6rvvhd/major_spoilers_datamined_information_reagrding/

First off, thanks a lot to the Wii Sports team. They're the reason why this is happening. I'm simply the messenger posting this information here for y'all.
Some information on upcoming maps:
Incomplete files for revamped versions of Kelp Dome and Blackbelly Skatepark have been introduced in the 1.1.1 update
There are additional maps named Line and Tunnel which are in development
Placeholder images for maps revealed in the Direct named Kawa and Pillar are present. (thanks to the people at TCRF!)
Nintendo is including testing versions of Shifty Station in the updates; however, for Splatfest the game downloads the real stage model and layout file separately. This explains why the existing files include debug and test objects.
The developers are currently testing new Salmon Run stages with internal names of Shakehouse and Threepoints. New files for these maps have been introduced in the 1.1.1 update as well. These are the last of the 4 planned stages for Salmon Run as of version 1.0.0.
How about some upcoming weapons?
Grizzco brand weapons are in the works. A Blaster, Charger, and Brella were found in the files.
A new weapon type called the Squeezer is in development. Here is Sheldon's explanation text for the Squeezer and an alternate version of it.
You can find more about upcoming weapons on the full Splatoon 2 weapons list. (Thank you Lean for providing this service!)
A quick word about Octolings:
What was known as the player's gender from the original Splatoon has now been replaced by a parameter called PlayerType.
Another parameter called PlayerType shares the same values as another parameter, ModelType.
The possible values for these parameters are SquidGirl, SquidBoy, and Oct.
Near those values, we have found an additonal value named OctBoy. This is based solely on information found in the Splatoon 2 executable; we do not have models, text, etc for boy Octolings at the moment.
Additonally, since the values of PlayerType and ModelType are shared, we cannot confirm that the Octolings will be playable either without testing in-game (which isn't possible for any of us to do).
We can't wait for all this content to be released. However, the game seems to be somewhat rushed to completion for version 1.0.0. Nintendo left behind a lot of things even though they tried to clean up the files. Marooner's Bay isn't even finished in this version and its English name is a direct translation of the Japanese text (Don Brako Shipwreck). Nintendo are secretly introducing new files via the balance updates.
Source for the new map data being introduced in the 1.1.1 update: https://pastebin.com/8AnFQ67E (thanks to SciresM!)

More images available in the original Reddit post but here's a Port Mackerel model which proves their ability to datamine:
zsKjTxE.png

"rushed to completion" aka doing the same as the first game and unlocking in disc content gradually

Yeah their input there is flawed logic. Splatoon's approach to content is very deliberate.
Edit: Looks like I read that bit out of context!

Still salty .52Gals get baller and sting ray, it's like they don't want .52Gal to have any better special weapons.

And yeah playable octolings, people are going to talk about it again like in Splatoon1 and get nothing . lol

J@hranimo

Banned
Two maps that are returning from Splatoon are revamped versions of
Kelp Dome
and
Blackbelly Skatepark

As these are two of the BEST maps from the first game, I'm pumped.

... I'm not putting any stock into the Octoling stuff until I see an Octoling boy model or something lol.

Zekes!

...are we really going on about spoilers?

Anyways, I'd like to see playable Octolings. Especially since Marina is an Octoling

I'll repeat what I said in the Splatoon 2 OT:
Octolings should have been playable from the beginning. It makes no sense to introduce Marina as the only friendly Octoling in the game.
It would have greatly changed the look of the game considering Octolings have some unique visual traits.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hopefully when they add the new Salmon Run maps they also change it to 24/7 availability.

Agreed. I still have yet to be able to play a Salmon Run.

I thought Octolings were handled similarly in the first game? There was like a squid boy, squid girl and octoling girl. Obviously the Octoling never became accessible for players but the value was there.

Another parameter called PlayerType shares the same values as another parameter, ModelType.
The possible values for these parameters are SquidGirl, SquidBoy, and Octoling.
This is the same thing as Splatoon 1.
Itisnothing.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How??? I feel like this is a meme at this point.

I have a full-time job and four children. The times I get to play are random, and I'd like the option to play it whenever I want.

rrs

Come on Nintendo, I want to be an octoling this time since I missed my chance to hack it in the first game

As someone who hasn't finished the campaign and probably won't for a long time, do any of the scrolls say anything about the real world relationship Octolings have with Inklings? Based on Marina's existence, my guess is that they're just foreigners whose 'evilness' comes from some make believe game that Cap'n Cuttlefish and now Marie hold up for fun in a sort of xenophobic, childish way, and that the rest of the world has no problem with them.

Mahi Mahi Resort pleeeeeeeeease

Please, it's one of my favorite stages from the first game.

rrs

Wonder if all the Splat 1 maps will be coming back 🤔🤔
yes
As someone who hasn't finished the campaign and probably won't for a long time, do any of the scrolls say anything about the real world relationship Octolings have with Inklings? Based on Marina's existence, my guess is that they're just foreigners whose 'evilness' comes from some make believe game that Cap'n Cuttlefish and now Marie hold up for fun in a sort of xenophobic, childish way, and that the rest of the world has no problem with them.
I don't know, but I'd say I'd be a bit bitter if I was forced into an underground slum with no sunlight while inklings hogged all the land

NotLiquid

So we're back on the Octoling train huh

There were many broken hearts after Splatoon 1. I don't know if I dare do this again.

Top Bottom