• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Major Splatoon 2 Datamine (new maps, weapons and possible Octolings)

zsKjTxE.png

Looks like all the other maps already in the game.

I wish Splatoon maps would look a little bit more different and not just industrial, square, dirty and again, square. I know there are some exceptions but still.
The ship leak looks interesting tho.

Plum

I wish Splatoon maps would look a little bit more different and not just industrial, square, dirty and again, square. I know there are some exceptions but still.

That map is literally already in the game lol. It's to show that they're not making thinga up.

That one is already in the game. It's just showing they can datamine.

Hugstable

Banned

It looks like another map in the because it's already there. That's Port Mackeral lol.

Oh, alright, got it. But I think you know what i mean. The Splatfest map is a good example. I liked the movables floors very much, but it looked just like all the other maps.

Or the first real leak:

kawa.png

Some interesting elements but just more of the same only rearranged.

Zubz

Banned
AW, heck yeah! I love me some Kelp Dome. I was also hoping Shifty Stations would become a regular stage, but I thought that'd be a post-Splatfest type deal. I'm fine if they add it now!

The Squeezer also seems fun, & like most people here, I'll eat an Octoling option right up!

-shadow-

Octolings ain't happening folks, rumour was the same for the original and it never happened... Unless you hacked the game and risked screwing over other people their save.

KingBroly

Banned
Octolings, huh? I'll believe it when I see it

Personally, I wish there were a Map that was Reverse Moray Towers. I'd also like a Sea Shell type of map, where it's round and converges in the Center.

And more Salmon Run maps would be great, but it'd have to make the mode more readily available. Give me 7 maps, 1 for each day of the week.

Zubz

Banned
Octolings ain't happening folks, rumour was the same for the original and it never happened... Unless you hacked the game and risked screwing over other people their save.

They just added files for "OctBoy," though. There're no male Octolings in the game, so why would they add data for them now?

People got overzealous about this in Splatoon 1, but people absolutely wanted playable Octolings. I'm sure Nintendo is aware of this.

All original S1 maps should come back, they were great.

Patch Moray Towers out of the game though.

I wouldn't be surprised if all maps come back eventually but I'm sure they want the game to feel brand new rather than relying on old content at launch.

They just added files for "OctBoy," though. There're no male Octolings in the game, so why would they add data for them now?

Not "files". Just a value. And it was not introduced by the update. They seems to indicate that it's a leftover value. It's not even used as possible value for the PlayerType variable.

• What was known as the player's gender from the original Splatoon has now been replaced by a parameter called PlayerType.
  • Another parameter called PlayerType shares the same values as another parameter, ModelType.
  • The possible values for these parameters are SquidGirl, SquidBoy, and Oct.
  • Near those values, we have found an additonal value named OctBoy. This is based solely on information found in the Splatoon 2 executable; we do not have models, text, etc for boy Octolings at the moment.
  • Additonally, since the values of PlayerType and ModelType are shared, we cannot confirm that the Octolings will be playable either without testing in-game (which isn't possible for any of us to do).
[...]
However, the game seems to be somewhat rushed to completion for version 1.0.0. Nintendo left behind a lot of things even though they tried to clean up the files.

NotLiquid

Ok one question, what is the reason octolings aren't playable yet? Or what would be the reason?

If we want to talk practicality then it's probably because of headgear. When Octolings were modded into the original Splatoon, headgear wasn't made to conform to their very busy hair, so it would all clip through them.

That's kind of why I thought Octoling hair/faces would at best be it's own headgear. If we do get playable Octolings I'm not sure how they'll solve the issue.

Golnei

That's kind of why I thought Octoling hair/faces would at best be it's own headgear. If we do get playable Octolings I'm not sure how they'll solve the issue.

Just having the equipped headgear be 'invisible'/not change their model would be the simplest solution, even if it's not perfect.

Hylian7

Blackbelly Skatepark was the map missing from the first game I really wanted to see come back. Glad it seems to be. Kelp Dome is great too.

Now I want to see Arrowana Mall and Saltspray Rig come back. Urchin Underpass doesn't really need to come back since the Reef is very similar to it.

I hope they hurry up with new stages. The ones at launch are starting to get very boring, partly due to them not being nearly as distinctive as the launch maps in Splatoon 1.

I would quite nearly bet money on playable Octolings coming. Data changes (changing the Octoling model to make it compatible with win/loss animations and adding a special model for the Octoling Kraken) and promotional material (the goggles-less Octoling art) put out for Splatoon 1 would seem to indicate they were planned to become playable but were decided against, likely because of the Wii U selling approximately four units and the DLC plans for Splatoon winding down earlier than expected. It makes perfect sense that the concepts would be done in Splatoon 2 now, especially with Marina being a mascot of the game. Hell, even if they weren't planning it I would almost guarantee they are by now, what with approximately Everyone wanting them to add it as an option. It seems like a no-brainer.

I'd wager on a new single-player story expansion coupled with Octolings becoming playable sometime late this year or early next year. Inklings and Octolings vs Salmonids and/or Grizzco, I'm thinking.

Regiruler

Would this mean no male octoling? That's some bullshit.
EDIT: nevermind I didn't fully read

Was there any indication that the square will be expanded? The blocked pathway near Spyke drives me nuts.

Berordn

Was there any indication that the square will be expanded? The blocked pathway near Spyke drives me nuts.

Nothing in these leaks seems to indicate anything of the sort. It does seem like they've left themselves room to expand the square, but it's nothing definitive.

I've always been curious as to what octoling boys looked like.

What we know lore-wise:

Top Bottom