• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Major Splatoon 2 Datamine (new maps, weapons and possible Octolings)

I wonder what Blackbelly Skatepark's layout will be for Rainmaker mode.

Nintendo banned forever this combination from appearing in Splatoon 1 random ranked matches, as well as some others (like Saltspray Rig Rainmaker and Piranha Pit Rainmaker) but never gave an explanation.

Ogodei

As others have said "girl boy oct" was found in Splatoon 1. Hackers separately implemented playable Octolings, but that was just a hack where they swapped the head of the Octoling model onto the Inkling and not a matter of accessing a dummied-out model, so Nintendo never even got as far as putting player Octoling models in Splatoon 1.

Seems much more likely for Splatoon 2 given Marina and now the Shifty stage which is based off the Octo Valley stages.

Somewhat unrelated to the topic but I wish this would stop being called data mining at some point. If anything it's data extraction.

Anyway most of this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone seeing as how content light the game was at launch.

Smasher89

Datamine leaks this early in the Switch lifetime, i guess the time of making suprise announcements for nintendo is getting harder.

GeneralSmiley

Neo Member
I've got a theory...

Octolings are going to be playable in the last splatfest.

Hear me out here. They were going to be in Splatoon 1 but by the time they got to the last round of content updates the switch and Splatoon 2 were on the horizon, might as well put it on the new one. This game we've got an octoling as one of the announcers, when it comes to the last splatfest, Pearl vs Marina, they'll unveil the models and those who vote for Marina will be playing as octolings and Pearl voters will be regular squids. Black Vs White.

Well, that's what I'd do anyway.

I've got a theory...

Octolings are planned to be playable on the last splatfest.

Hear me out here. They were going to be in Splatoon 1 but by the time they got to the last round of content updates the switch and Splatoon 2 were on the horizon, might as well put it on the new one. This game we've got an octoling as one of the announcers, when it comes to the last splatfest, Pearl vs Marina, they'll unveil the models and those who vote for Marina will be playing as octolings and Pearl voters will be regular squids. Black Vs White.

The trouble with this is that it would be two years down the line. I don't think they'd keep such a big push for the game until the very, very end of its lifespan.

I would not be surprised if the final Splatfest had you play as an Inkling or an Octoling based on who you supported, but I think they'll have the Octoling models out and playable long before then.

yuoke

Banned
Surprised to hear hate for Moray Towers. What’s people’s problem with it? It’s my favorite stage

It's awful in every mode. Turfwar is just garbage, half the time, everyone just goes right to the other base.

Splatzones are bad, way too close and chargers ruin it.

Rainmaker is awful because everyone always panics with it and doesn't try to go up the left wall.

Tower control...doesn't need to be explained.

wrowa

I've got a theory...

Why would anyone want to play on Pearl's team when you can play as cool new characters on Marina's? The split is already often bad enough as is, but with your idea you are just asking for 70-80% to choose Marina's team.

DrArchon

I've got a theory...

I'm sure Nintendo wants to have an actual race war in their game.

GeneralSmiley

Neo Member
Why would anyone want to play on Pearl's team when you can play as cool new characters on Marina's? The split is already often bad enough as is, but with your idea you are just asking for 70-80% to choose Marina's team.

Nobody knows till the day of the splatfest! It's just a regular Pearl Vs Marina, which Marina will still wins but not as convincingly.

zenspider

It's awful in every mode. Turfwar is just garbage, half the time, everyone just goes right to the other base.

Splatzones are bad, way too close and chargers ruin it.

Rainmaker is awful because everyone always panics with it and doesn't try to go up the left wall.

Tower control...doesn't need to be explained.

I agree.
It is better now - just lighting up the inklines should keep a sniper's attention divided. When eLiter 4K with scope is more common, we'll see if they can rule the map again.

New Splat Zone is too easy to contest from the first deck, even for short range weapons. They really want you to play the map in the least fun way - trading sneaky aggressive pushes up the ramps.

Something about the high ground being useless once you lose the first deck is obnoxious - and losing the inklines on your side is a nightmare.

Still, it's better.

OT:

Blackberry Skatepark is the GOAT! Now where's the Warehouse?

The game is about the squids, they are the main characters.
"but Marina!" she is just an npc. No different from the other Jellies and shrimps around.

Yeah but in the single player Octolings have the same attributes as Inklings. Marina is an example of Inklings and Octolings getting along so it wouldn't be out of the question for playable Octolings.

octoling.png

As others have said "girl boy oct" was found in Splatoon 1. Hackers separately implemented playable Octolings, but that was just a hack where they swapped the head of the Octoling model onto the Inkling and not a matter of accessing a dummied-out model, so Nintendo never even got as far as putting player Octoling models in Splatoon 1.

I thought they did swap the whole Octoling model of the Campaign with the Inkling model by changing one variable (assigned as third gender, "girl, boy, oct" as you mentionned) and not just the head. It's visible as when they swim, it's an octopus that is used instead of the squid. And also by the default Gloved hands for the Octoling (Inklings don't have gloves).

That just meant that the two visual sets were rigged in similar ways, because Octolings are used in Campaign VS maps and can wield weapons (but not gear). It was not a proof that Octolings were playable at some point (especially due to their hair clipping trough everything), just that they were programmed based on the same movements as player (as bots) for simplicity.

McArkus

Maybe they will be playable in a SP expansion, like defending their land from a salmonoid attack, but don't see them joining soon to the MP aspect of the game.

Berordn

Maybe they will be playable in a SP expansion, like defending their land from a salmonoid attack, but don't see them joining soon to the MP aspect of the game.

I kinda think they'll be sitting on it for a while too. While I hesitate to say there was much story in Splatoon 1, they used the Splatfests to build up personality for Callie and Marie and it ended up shaping the campaign in 2. I could see them doing the same for Pearl and Marina setting the stage for the reintroduction of Octoling culture to the inklings in a Splatoon 3.

I thought they did swap the whole Octoling model of the Campaign with the Inkling model by changing one variable (assigned as third gender, "girl, boy, oct" as you mentionned) and not just the head. It's visible as when they swim, it's an octopus that is used instead of the squid. And also by the default Gloved hands for the Octoling (Inklings don't have gloves).

That just meant that the two visual sets were rigged in similar ways, because Octolings are used in Campaign VS maps and can wield weapons (but not gear). It was not a proof that Octolings were playable at some point (especially due to their hair clipping trough everything), just that they were programmed based on the same movements as player (as bots) for simplicity.
The models used for Octolings in the campaign are different from the models that were playable by some minor save manipulation. Additionally, late during Splatoon's updates they modified the playable Octoling model to remove the goggles and add in a mouth for its win/loss emotions. Around the same time they posted some official art on Tumblr and Twitter. It's very, very likely that the Octolings were planned to be made playable at some point during Splatoon 1.

Will that come to fruition in Splatoon 2? Maybe, maybe not. Hopefully! It would make a lot of sense now that we have both an NPC friendly Octoling in Marina and also a new antagonist in the Salmonids.

R.D.Blax

I would really be surprised if we didn't get playable Octoling this time. And we need a way to get the Octoling gear

Jims

Really glad to hear Blackbelly and Kelp will be back. I wonder what they will do with Kelp, since it is already so layered with the catwalks. Maybe add sponges? A couple ink lines?

Seeing the upcoming weapon kits is making me impatient. I want my Custom Jet Squelcher back!

(Why did they switch around the vanilla and forge splattershot pro kits for the sequel. I guess they just wanted to do point sensors first.)

The models used for Octolings in the campaign are different from the models that were playable by some minor save manipulation. Additionally, late during Splatoon's updates they modified the playable Octoling model to remove the goggles and add in a mouth for its win/loss emotions. Around the same time they posted some official art on Tumblr and Twitter. It's very, very likely that the Octolings were planned to be made playable at some point during Splatoon 1.

Didn't know that, makes sense!

A single player expansion that has inklings and octolings working together to fight off the Salmonids seems like the most obvious way to implement them.

The story mode hints at the Salmonids being an insanely dangerous threat that can and has threatened and destroyed cities before.

Story spoilers
This also gives Off the Hook a chance to get involved with the story. The Squid Sisters were the focus of the first game, and I thought they would do the same for Off the Hook, but they didn't, which is too bad. I'm still waiting for a Squid Sisters and Off the Hook crossover song.

A single player expansion that has inklings and octolings working together to fight off the Salmonids seems like the most obvious way to implement them.

The story mode hints at the Salmonids being an insanely dangerous threat that can and has threatened and destroyed cities before.

Story spoilers
This also gives Off the Hook a chance to get involved with the story. The Squid Sisters were the focus of the first game, and I thought they would do the same for Off the Hook, but they didn't, which is too bad. I'm still waiting for a Squid Sisters and Off the Hook crossover song.

Sounds like you're describing Splatoon 3's single player.

Don't think we'd see something that large as a free add-on.

Still not expecting playable Octolings being an add-on for the game. I'd expect them to be included at the very beginning of a new title, honestly. Could be wrong here, but whatever. :9

Kinokou

Future weapons spoiler
The N-zap 89 is in but not the 83?! Hope it's not the final final list of weapons since they didn't put the sprinkler on the 89 this time...

BTA

I really liked the skatepark in 1, so really glad to hear that'll be back!

I'd be a little annoyed at myself for looking at "spoilers" for announcements (because they're fun, not on principle) but I'm happy I can look forward to that.

Regiruler

I'm sure Nintendo wants to have an actual race war in their game.

You had fighting over which person is better in the final splatfest in Splatoon 1, I think inkling vs octoling would be a great way to up the ante.
The game is about the squids, they are the main characters.
"but Marina!" she is just an npc. No different from the other Jellies and shrimps around.

Just an NPC? Splatoon practically revolves around their host pair.

Sounds like you're describing Splatoon 3's single player.

Don't think we'd see something that large as a free add-on.

They could add a lot of context to a Salmon Run map. Just set one in Octo Valley or Inkopolis and have different people talking you through it.

Since they might support the game for two years, they still have plenty of time to do things.

Top Bottom