• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regarding TLoU, it's unusual that...

Dawg

Reason I find this weird:

There's always an Uncharted beta to test their servers, gameplay etc... But there hasn't been a TLoU beta and release is closing in... A beta isn't happening anymore. There's usually pre-order stuff as well.

This leads me to believe the following:

a) The multiplayer is something special and they don't want to spoil it. They've got plenty of experience thanks to UC2&3 beta's, so they're confident that the MP doesn't require a beta and this helps them keep this a secret

b) The experience from both Uncharted games makes it so they don't require a beta and they don't want to talk much about it, since TLoU is all about the SP and the MP is just an extra, similar to the Uncharted MP.

c) It's dogshit. (Although I think/believe ND would never release something crappy, not even a MP)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Reason I find this weird:

There's always an Uncharted beta to test their servers, gameplay etc... But there hasn't been a TLoU beta and release is closing in... A beta isn't happening anymore. There's usually pre-order stuff as well.

This leads me to believe the following:

a) The multiplayer is something special and they don't want to spoil it. They've got plenty of experience thanks to UC2&3 beta's, so they're confident that the MP doesn't require a beta and this helps them keep this a secret

b) The experience from both Uncharted games makes it so they don't require a beta and they don't want to talk much about it, since TLoU is all about the SP and the MP is just an extra, similar to the Uncharted MP.

c) It's dogshit. (Although I think/believe ND would never release something crappy, not even a MP)

I was thinking possibly along these lines. I don't really suspect it will be bad. So, I think we can rule out c) for now.

Based on recent tweets, I'm wondering if it might be something close to choice a). One can only hope. TLoU has some interesting mechanics, I could see it being a really awesome MP if they take some chances with it.

Limanima

Some people want a place to enjoy the world, characters, and gameplay beyond the singleplayer. I'll play the crap out of the campaign, but multiplayer is what I'll be enjoying with my friends; many of which I've known throughout U2's and U3's online modes.
And from what I understand, ND has people dedicated almost solely to developing the MP portions of their games. It would be a waste not to utilise them.
It's absurd how many people recoil at the idea of MP.

Now I'm actually curious after that tweet from the NG guy.

Gadirok

If they can display what the MP may be like by tomorrow, I'm preordering. They seem to be very confident with their final product, since it already went gold and now its just up to building up the hype again.

Jharp

The only idea for multiplayer I could think of that would be interesting, beyond a co-op campaign, would be a Horde mode style or maybe a Left 4 Dead style co op mode where you either have to fight off enemies, or make your way from one point to another while contending with enemies, BUT, keep the same idea of low ammo counts, stealth, and melee/improvised weapon combat.

If done right, it could be awesome, and I just pulled that idea out of my ass. Naughty Dog has had years and plenty of cash to come up with something, so I have high hopes for what it could be. It's not like it was a last-minute addition- they probably started with multiplayer as a core feature from the outset.

Also, one of the ND guys was on a recent episode of Weekend Confirmed (last week's, I think) and was talking it up. Sure, he could have been fibbing, but I still think it'll be original and good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The only idea for multiplayer I could think of that would be interesting, beyond a co-op campaign, would be a Horde mode style or maybe a Left 4 Dead style co op mode where you either have to fight off enemies, or make your way from one point to another while contending with enemies, BUT, keep the same idea of low ammo counts, stealth, and melee/improvised weapon combat.

If done right, it could be awesome, and I just pulled that idea out of my ass. Naughty Dog has had years and plenty of cash to come up with something, so I have high hopes for what it could be. It's not like it was a last-minute addition- they probably started with multiplayer as a core feature from the outset.

Also, one of the ND guys was on a recent episode of Weekend Confirmed (last week's, I think) and was talking it up. Sure, he could have been fibbing, but I still think it'll be original and good.

I was thinking it would be something like that. Several teams could even be in one area and the supplies and ammo are limited for the whole map. You need to fight other survivors to get the equipment and fight the monsters to survive.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
In another thread someone mentioned the idea of feral (A.I.) clickers/infected being in the adversarial multiplayer modes, adding an extra layer of strategy/challenge to the whole thing.

I really liked that idea... if the AI is decent enough, I could see that being quite fun messing with a OHK-capable enemy. If you are out of ammo, maybe you could throw a bottle near an enemy and try to get the clicker after them. Or if you have ammo, maybe you are hesitant to take a clear shot because you're not sure where the clicker might be.

Idk... who knows what they will do. But it seems like there could be quite a bit of interesting scenarios just mixing around the unique mechanics of TLoU and your basic MP tropes. Even just adding limited resources and crafting would give quite a bit of flavor to an otherwise basic deathmatch.

Things that are great about TLoU and would make for some unique twists on established, modern gametypes (even in a traditional deathmatch -- the most basic MP mode out there) are:

• No regen health. TLoU uses medkits, so that's pretty awesome right there.
  • Low resources, emphasis on scavenging and ambush-based melee combat. Pretty cool.
  • Crafting. Does any other game do this in a live mp match?

Those few things right there would be a pretty interesting multiplayer when you consider the usual regen health crap of modern shooter.

Top Bottom