• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie confirms there are no more first party Wii U games coming after Zelda: BotW

Tom Nook

I dont get it, whats creating the thumps? Why is the comic showing Gamecubes face in white like that? Whats it trying to say happened?

This is how I get it:

The system stays alive as long there are games for it. Picture a human being needs a heart.

The Gamecube is barely alive but needs a new game (heart) to stay alive. I guess the "thump" is the heart struggling. A new game (donor) arrives but it's too late.

I wish Reggie copped to why this is the case. GameCube, SNES, NES, GBC, GBA, and DS all had biggish releases after the SNES was released, while the Wii and Wii U died out completely when their successors came about. Wii and Wii U were horribly mishandled. I just hope that they do Wii U owners right and give Mario Kart 8 Deluxe the content Switch owners receive as DLC.

Ridley327

I wish Reggie copped to why this is the case. GameCube, SNES, NES, GBC, GBA, and DS all had biggish releases after the SNES was released, while the Wii and Wii U died out completely when their successors came about. Wii and Wii U were horribly mishandled. I just hope that they do Wii U owners right and give Mario Kart 8 Deluxe the content Switch owners receive as DLC.

Forgive my ignorance, but what did the Gamecube have after TP released?

Forgive my ignorance, but what did the Gamecube have after TP released?

Actually nevermind, for some reason I was thinking the Wii was 2005 lol.

TBF, GC didn't do terribly well either so it serves as an example of that. Not sure if the N64 had any games post-GC release from Nintendo, doubt it though.

Kthulhu

Goodbye Wii U.

Like the GameCube before you, you deserved better.

I will never forget the greatest that was the Nintendo E3 2014 digital event. So many amazing games.

I mean, you always knew it, but it still sucks to see it confirmed outright. You always hoped there was another downloadable title kicking around somewhere out there in the pipeline, or maybe they'd localize a third party Japanese title just to throw owners a bone.

Hopefully they keep VC releases coming for a bit. I've been waiting a while for NSMB Wii.

Tom Nook

This should happen.

komorebi

End of an era.

I loved and hated my Wii U before I sold it. Hopefully it's best games get ported to Switch because there are some real good ones.

Ridley327

TBF, GC didn't do terribly well either so it serves as an example of that. Not sure if the N64 had any games post-GC release from Nintendo, doubt it though.

Not only that, but it famously had a good chunk of its last few games moved over to the Gamecube, or was passed over for localization as a result of timing in the case of Sin & Punishment. IIRC, Mario Party 3 was the last game on the system from Nintendo, who then went full steam on the GBA shortly thereafter and the GCN later that year.

The N64 lineup was mostly done by the end of 2000. Games like Mario Party 3, Paper Mario, and Pokemon Stadium GS were spread throughout 2001 outside Japan.

The last major first-party games were Dr. Mario 64 (NA exclusive) and Animal Crossing (Japan exclusive), both in April 2001. There was Conker as well, in march, but Nintendo washed their hands of that one.

Development is way more expensive and time-consuming now than it was for any of those older platforms.

They said this a while back that Zelda was the last Wii U game from Nintendo. What I was glad to hear is that online with remain for a while for games like Splatoon. I was going to sell it if online was going away soon.

No shit?

Can't believe Metroid skipped a major console.

It never showed up on N64, and it's been absent on handhelds in a form anybody cares about since the GBA.

Except for Metroid Prime Pinball. That was dope.

But yeah, everybody thinks Metroid is a major IP except Nintendo.

ReitStuff

Can we talk about this quote from Reggie?

"Even today when I ask people, ‘so what was Wii U all about?,’ I get a wide variety of responses. In managing the business, that’s just not good.”

I find that fascinating.

Not surprising, especially since Nintendo are way more focused on the Switch. I still have a lot more first party Wii U games I need to buy to keep my Wii U busy til I get my hands on a Switch.

What, if the Wii U bombs they'll just keep developing 3DS exclusive software? Doubt it. Switch is the main Nintendo platform moving forward for better or worse.

If switch bombs a handheld successor to the 3ds will appear towards the end of 2018 I'd bet. Not putting all the eggs in one basket before you know if the bottom is attached on the basket is only sensible.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Wii was dead for like two years until the Wii U came out.

Incompetence and/or HD games are hard.

Good night, sweet prince. I have a lot of time for the Wii U (currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles through on the pad), and it'll hold a special place in my heart for being my boy's *first console*. It might not have been for every family but it was for ours. So many good times. Sad to see no more games and it's final place in history, but nevermind. I know how good Nintendo Land was, that's enough.

Trago

If switch bombs a handheld successor to the 3ds will appear towards the end of 2018 I'd bet. Not putting all the eggs in one basket before you know if the bottom is attached on the basket is only sensible.

At that point, they'll just make a smaller, cheaper, more portable version of the Switch.

jholmes

Very sad for Wii-U owners.

Onwards and upwards, eh?

I have a Switch on pre-order but it doesn't really instill confidence that Nintendo are going to see this thing through properly based on how they have treated the Wii-U and the people who invested in it.

This bears repeating. I tolerated the long last year of the Wii because the hardware was showing real age and the platform was long lived. Neither are true of the Wii U and I didn't buy it for four years of games and a big shove in the direction of new hardware.

Raide

Hopefully they have some UK based trade in deals for the Switch. Seems pointless to cling onto the Wii-U now since any game that was moderately good on Wii-U will end up on Switch.

meanspartan

Never done a count, but next to the Virtual Boy does the Wii U have the smallest catalog of games for a console?

Maybe for a Nintendo console? There have been several consoles with less games.

With all the games it still is consistently getting, it seems Vita faked its own death and is living in hiding on an island paradise for people who love Japanese RPGs and indie games ;-)

Kacho

Hopefully. Are you that certain though that 3DS will be the one to die first? lol.

(I'm getting Switch day one, don't get me wrong. Still not convinced it will do much better than Wii U).

The 3DS has been long in the tooth for a while now. I suspect 2017 will be the last year for meaningful support. Switch will likely do better than the Wii U based solely on the fact that it'll house all games we'd typically see on 3DS/Wii U on one device. Pokémon, MH and Animal Crossing almost guarantee this IMO.

Top Bottom