• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie confirms there are no more first party Wii U games coming after Zelda: BotW

Funnily enough I bought a WiiU 2 days ago. With extreme prices around here, jacked up prices for accessories and games, and not many games for the first months I'll just enjoy playing Zelda on the WiiU and the bunch of games I didn't experience before that I doubt will come to the Switch.

weekev

Banned
I'm guessing most WiiU owners will be getting a Switch or are done with Nintendo, the audience isn't there. As a WiiU owner....bring on the Switch.

meanspartan

The 3DS has been long in the tooth for a while now. I suspect 2017 will be the last year for meaningful support. Switch will likely do better than the Wii U based solely on the fact that it'll house all games we'd typically see on 3DS/Wii U on one device. Pokémon, MH and Animal Crossing almost guarantee this IMO.

Gameboy lasted a decade. While thats perhaps too old an example to be relevant, people are far more forgiving on graphical horsepower for a portable in general. I could totally happily play 3DS games for a few more years.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Worst console I ever bought.

I'll wait a lot before buying a Switch.

Zelda would've been Switch only if they didn't already announce it for Wii U.

I have to give them props for that too. There are probably quite a few more Switch units they could have sold at launch if they made it exclusive. They could easily come up with some excuse about Wii U not being able to fulfill the full vision of BotW or something. Oh, some people would be pissed for sure, and swear they would never buy one as a result, Zelda or not, but we all know most of them would've relented when the time came.

Good riddance to the worst video game system I ever purchased, outside of the Atari Lynx. The only reason I'm not boxing mine up and throwing it in the closet is Wii backwards compatibility.

Tigress

Very sad for Wii-U owners.

Onwards and upwards, eh?

I have a Switch on pre-order but it doesn't really instill confidence that Nintendo are going to see this thing through properly based on how they have treated the Wii-U and the people who invested in it.

Why not? Honestly, they stuck with a failing console for quite a while and I think they've been pretty good about not abandoning it for much longer than it was obvious that it was going to fail regardless of what they did. At some point it's just not feasable to put their resources in it especially now that they are trying to come back from that console with a new one and need to focus on it.

It's a helluva lot better than what Sony did with Vita (except cause of third party/Japanese games it still got some. This is why Nintendo really should think about trying to get third party back).

a916

I was looking into this... Did Nintendo develop only one Wii U title internally last year? And then this year?

Pokken/Star Fox/Mario and Sonic were all created by third parties with some or none contribution from Nintendo.

Paper Mario Color Splash was. And that's all I can see other than the Twilight Princess port (which was outsourced to Tantalus).

So in the last two years of Wii U, they made one game a year?

AgeEighty

Don't see why this would be controversial. Any new games they made for Wii U at this point would just be getting sent out to die.

ninfeat.jpg

So much for the Switch being a third-pillar to the Wii U and 3DS!

Even though the Wii U was far from their best or most-successful console; I don't think I've seen Nintendo distance themselves from a console so fast as fast as they have done for the Wii U. If the Switch fails to catch fire in sales, their near-immediate burying of the Wii U is going to look pretty damn hilarious in hindsight.

At least they won't be pulling the online services for the time being....

I was looking into this... Did Nintendo develop only one Wii U title internally last year? And then this year?

Pokken/Star Fox/Mario and Sonic were all created by third parties with some or none contribution from Nintendo.

Paper Mario Color Splash was. And that's all I can see other than the Twilight Princess port (which was outsourced to Tantalus).

So in the last two years of Wii U, they made one game a year?

Star Fox Zero was developed by both Nintendo and PlatinumGames. Platinum handled the art and music, Nintendo was responsible over the general programming / game design. I'd say it counts as another game.

Cynar

If you never announced them as Wii U games then were they ever really?

There are totally games held back with how long the draughts have been.

Spinluck

ninfeat.jpg

So much for the Switch being a third-pillar to the Wii U and 3DS!

Even though the Wii U was far from their best or most-successful console; I don't think I've seen Nintendo distance themselves from a console so fast as fast as they have done for the Wii U. If the Switch fails to catch fire in sales, their near-immediate burying of the Wii U is going to look pretty damn hilarious in hindsight.

At least they won't be pulling the online services for the time being....

Star Fox Zero was developed by both Nintendo and PlatinumGames. Platinum handled the art and music, Nintendo was responsible over the general programming / game design. I'd say it counts as another game.

They have no choice but to distance themselves from the Wii name at this point.

Top Bottom