• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Nintendo will have a big E3 this year.

ggx2ac

I wonder if Animal Crossing app was delayed so it could launch near an announcement of a new AC game at E3.

???

They said why they delayed Animal Crossing back at the last financial briefing. It was so that it wouldn't compete with Fire Emblem Heroes since they were both planned for release before the end of the financial year.

???

They said why they delayed Animal Crossing back at the last financial briefing. It was so that it wouldn't compete with Fire Emblem Heroes since they were both planned for release before the end of the financial year.

Hmm. I didn't know that.

Macka

leV2rym.jpg
Is this even possible considering the Switch has digital triggers?

I mean, you could put it on there but I wouldn't want to play it like that.

It's hard to imagine something big first party wise for this year, after Zelda Switch will get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odissey and Xenoblade 2, can we really expect them to announce a Pokemon game for this year? i think not, i guess at E3 we will see more indies and third party stuff, but Nintendo first party lineup looks already set for 2017
I disagree. The main appeal of the Switch for me is that Nintendo are focusing on one platform - six first party games a year isn't enough imo.

mozfan12

Banned
Really wish we get some more game announcements soonish. Seems we're only hearing about Switch shipments, etc, and I do think Nintendo has a good first party lineup with Arms, MK 8, Splatoon, Mario coming out it this year but I wouldn't mind some more Wii U ports and a good serving of virtual console games.

psyfi

Banned
Crossing my fingers for a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising on Switch. That, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Pokémon Eclipse, and Smash 4 Deluxe = Nintendo is finally not doomed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is this even possible considering the Switch has digital triggers?

I mean, you could put it on there but I wouldn't want to play it like that.

I disagree. The main appeal of the Switch for me is that Nintendo are focusing on one platform - six first party games a year isn't enough imo.

It's not a sim racer. Plenty of racing games manage with digital throttle and if implemented well you can usually feather it by timing your presses.

Tregard

Soothsayer
- Return of the Nintendo World Championship
- Big focus on Super Mario Odyssey
- Nindies Showcase: Rocket League, Undertale and Slime Rancher are the featured titles
- Smash Bros. 4 Championship Edition ( + Ice Climbers, Inkling, Ribbon Girl and BoxBoy)
- Super Mario Maker Switch port (SMB2 style and slopes perhaps)
- Metroid Prime 4
- A Mario Sports game of some kind
- JoyCon w. D-Pad announced with retail date, Gamecube styled JoyCons "Coming Soon"
- Some 3DS titles moving and updating for Switch, such as Pocket Card Jockey, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Pikmin 3DS
- Zelda DLC
- Bayonetta 3 Tease
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer, with Beyond Good & Evil Remastered available after the show

muh predictions. I definitely feel good about something hardware related such as new JoyCons being talked about, I feel like every E3 will come along with something hardware related from now on, given how modular the Switch can be.

rockx4

Retro game should be up there. The game should be almost done.

It took 3 years from Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii (Nov 2010) to Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Feb 2014)... and it's been 3 years since then.. I'm not expecting much from Retro :(

And the yearly ritual of taking the day off, watching with a friend hoping for Metroid to show up and being crushingly disappointed continues.

Axass

It took 3 years from Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii (Nov 2010) to Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Feb 2014)... and it's been 3 years since then.. I'm not expecting much from Retro :(
??

You said it yourself, it usually takes around 3 years for a Retro game to come out. At E3 it will be 3 years and 7 months since DK:TF went gold. The next game should be ready to ship, like the day after. So, an announcement is a given.

rockx4

??

You said it yourself, it usually takes around 3 years for a Retro game to come out. At E3 it will be 3 years and 7 months since DK:TF went gold. The next game should be ready to ship, like the day after. So, an announcement is a given.

I just don't think we should expect anything like a huge Metroid game. I don't think a new Metroid Prime is the same scale as making another Donkey Kong Country Returns.

sviri

Dear god what a potentially amazing time to be a Nintendo fan!

But if they push Zelda DLC before the Switch is widely available, I will be sad. I can't find a Switch!!! Not buying a WiiU!!!

ecosse_011172

I think the chance of Metroid Prime 4 are very low, I think if we get another Metroid game it won't be from Retro. However, I'd love nothing more than Retro, maybe in conjunction with Armature to make a modern Metroid Prime (GOAT) game.

Xun

I actually think Nintendo will deliver this year.

At the very least I have a feeling we'll see the following:

• Mario x Rabbids
  • Retro's game
  • Zelda DLC
  • Pokémon Stars
  • Animal Crossing
  • Super Smash Bros. 4
What I'm hoping for:

• Metroid
  • New IPs
  • StarTropics ;)

woopWOOP

Potential Smash 4 port with more stuff would make it enough for me, everything else announced would be a crazy amount of gravy.

Looking forward to hear more about Ever Oasis too tho

Arnie

Depending on the showing at E3 they could convince me to buy my first Nintendo console ever. For context the last console I owned was N64, which was bought by parents when I was a nipper. Zelda looks great, Mario will be great, I just need some extra pazzaz around that.

Retro can have a big game ready. Just because it took 3 years to make TF doesn't mean that scale of a game takes 3 years and anything bigger has to be more.

Plus wasn't TF supposed to release in 2013 and got pushed to 2014 to space it out from Super Mario 3D World? I'm pretty sure Retros been working on a game since late 2013. This would put them at 4 years if it were to release this fall and it may not release until 2018.

My biggest disappointment is Retro is not a bigger studio. Nintendos had them for a decade and a half and they can only chug ONE GAME at a time? They should be big enough to make two games at a time. It's a waste when Nintendo needs western devs to make more western games and they have Retro and they're not doing it with them. DKC was great for them to bring back, but Retro should be making more more games and not one game at a time. They should be making more new IPs and IPs focused to the western audience.

My expectations are for
- large amount of mario
- maybe a peak at zelda dlc
- pokemon port
- any other first party ports to switch, mario maker, smash bros ect
- ever oasis moved to switch, graphical overhaul, more top down zelda/mana style gameplay...OK I just want a top down zelda like and since BOTW just released that won't be happening anytime soon
- a clear convergence of console and portable resources and teams working almost exclusively on switch going forward
- Retro new game
- arms dlc similar to the splatoon dlc rollout

Long shots that would make me and most others happy
- a 2d metroid by pretty much anybody but team ninja
- a mario golf game worthy of being the successor of toadstool tour
- or a mario sports game that feels more like the great individual mario sport games and less like the mario party team got to do a mario sports collection
- actually make long awaited fan translated games like Mother 3, Secret of mana 2/3 and similar 8 bit and 16 bit games available to western consumers. If for whatever reason you can't pay and obtain the fan translations, which in mother 3's case was done by an actual long time videogame translator, then spend the minor resources needed to handle it. You do this 8 ne time, then it's done, you can release it on every single platform going forward, it makes no sense to not do this.
- a new ip we would never expect, less in the way of wii music and more in the way of a game for actual gamers that defies expectations from nintendo
- use your vast and long relations with other studios to make a new f zero, luigis mansion, even dc
- a new game using the breath of the wild engine and systems, could be a new ip or even a new take on a long forgotten ip like star tropics or even kid icarus. The resources that went into that gorgeous collection of systems shouldn't be allowed to sit dormant until the next 3d zelda in 3 or 5 years

My overall expectations are pretty low expecting around 70% of their showing to be mario, and for most to feel underwhelmed as a whole. As a switch owner I'd like to be wrong, but even though I think they pretty much are every studio hands on deck for the switch I think they will continue to slow roll reveals

Reggie:

"well, let's be honest, I think we're going to have a quite poor presentation this year. I mean, you should watch the competition instead"

Joke aside, I think that they'll have a good E3 this year indeed.

Ensirius

Depending on the showing at E3 they could convince me to buy my first Nintendo console ever. For context the last console I owned was N64, which was bought by parents when I was a nipper. Zelda looks great, Mario will be great, I just need some extra pazzaz around that.

I'm on the same boat as you.
I cannot wait to play Zelda but as of right now I am not buying a console just for one game.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well, they have plenty of space to occupy with various games.

floorplandtuou.png

Additionally they have booked the LACC Theatre. Currently it is listed as Booth Theater (10 x 10) but I'm quite certain it'll be the whole 411 Theatre as they have used it for several years now.

Rösti;232839568 said:
Well, they have plenty of space to occupy with various games.

floorplandtuou.png

Additionally they have booked the LACC Theatre. Currently it is listed as Booth Theater (10 x 10) but I'm quite certain it'll be the whole 411 Theatre as they have used it for several years now.

Is the 411 Theater the Kodiak Theater? I know you said they had some Theater reserved this year. Not sure if that's the same or not.

Nere

What are the chances of announcing gamecube VC on E3? That is all that I want from the switch Metroid Prime 1 and 2 on the move.

Doesn't splatoon beta a few days ago requires constant internet connection also?

To play online, of course. There will be a single player component to Splatoon as well though.

Still, "always online" isn't really an argument against having a game almost entirely built around playing multiplayer online.

Dang0

I'm curious, is there much evidence of a switch mainline pokemon or smash port other then the leaks from before the switch conference? Cause a lot of those turned out to be fake (splatoon and xenoblade x ports, mario at launch, the ubisoft mario/rabbids crossover at launch, etc).

I'm just curious why so many people are so sure of those two being real.

Ridley327

Doesn't splatoon beta a few days ago requires constant internet connection also?

It did, but that was a test specifically for the online mode. The final game won't need to be constantly online since you can play local multiplayer, along with having a single player mode.

I'm curious, is there much evidence of a switch mainline pokemon or smash port other then the leaks from before the switch conference? Cause a lot of those turned out to be fake (splatoon and xenoblade x ports, mario at launch, the ubisoft mario/rabbids crossover at launch, etc).

People are sure about Pokémon Stars because Eurogamer was the one who dropped that rumor and they've been right about everything for Switch.

Smash comes from there being 3 Amiibo (Bayonetta, Cloud and Corin) still not released to this day. And they were announced a year ago I believe. It makes it look like they're being saved for something. I also believe the Smash rumor came from many people.

The Yoshi X Rabbids rumor came from multiple people too. Gamexplain even said they heard about it. LKD did say Yoshi X Rabbids was delayed to later this year (yes she's gotten some things wrong). Last but not least, Ubisoft put up a video and it showed Rabbified Mario, Luigi and Toad.

I'm on the same boat as you.
I cannot wait to play Zelda but as of right now I am not buying a console just for one game.

I didn't want to get a console for just one game, and tbh I am more into Mario anyway. But, especially on their popular products, Nintendo just doesn't drop prices on their products. So, to me, if one is going to buy a Switch, you may as well just buy it now.

Seems like one is just missing out by waiting. MS and Sony, price drops and bundles and all that shit, come around quick, just doesn't happen with Nintendo.

Nintendo always has dissapointing E3s, but I really do hope they port the entire Wii U library over to the Switch.

H13

It did, but that was a test specifically for the online mode. The final game won't need to be constantly online since you can play local multiplayer, along with having a single player mode.

To play online, of course. There will be a single player component to Splatoon as well though.

Still, "always online" isn't really an argument against having a game almost entirely built around playing multiplayer online.

I understand that, just I thought it was a weird reason why heartstone cannot come to Switch because of 'always online' component

Pokemon Stars comes from Tom Phillips of Eurogamer and he has a solid track record. Most of the other rumors came from elsewhere.

Top Bottom