• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Nintendo will have a big E3 this year.

MTC100

Banned
Be funny if Pokemon Stars ended up as a 3DS game.

It most certainly will be a 3DS game that gets a Switch upgrade.

Even the current 3D pokemon on 3DS doesn't look that bad with something as simple as a resolution increase:

pokemon1c3xb1.jpg

pokemon2lba6p.jpg

Nintendo just has to increase the resolution to 1080p, fix the 2D Bitmap background in the battle screen, swap the low res fonts and add a little Anti Aliasing: there you have your Switch-Pokemon.

LordKano

I also don't get these "Pokémon Stars is a 3DS game" comments. The original rumor about Pokémon Stars stated very clearly that it is a Switch exclusive. It also wouldn't make sense otherwise, the game is being made because of the Switch.

Salvadora

Would like to see in the direct:

- OS system update inc VC (Gamecube), Video Streaming services, Web Browsing etc
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Splatoon 2
- Pokemon Stars
- Super Smash Bros / Super Mario Maker Wii U ports
- 3rd party titles (non indie)
- More Indies
- Spring 2018 tease (Animal Crossing?)

Blobbers

Isn't it funny how last year's VERY prevalent narrative that "Nintendo doesn't need E3" and "E3 is dead, the signs are here" has all but completely evaporated after the Switch reveal and in this thread and we're all getting excited or at least hoping for a great Nintendo E3 again?

I'm glad. The "E3 sucks" phase was awful.

MTC100

Banned
I also don't get these "Pokémon Stars is a 3DS game" comments. The original rumor about Pokémon Stars stated very clearly that it is a Switch exclusive. It also wouldn't make sense otherwise, the game is being made because of the Switch.

If it will be a Switch exclusive then it won't be released until late 2018 or have a downport to the 3DS in the end, I don't think Nintendo wants to miss out on all the sales, releasing the game on a plattform that is basically sold out in Japan for the next few months it seems. The ingame models of the 3DS games are already good enough for a pokemon game and they will likely build upon the 3DS engine. I don't expect Pokemon to be a game that will blow us away visually but it will be good enough.

Copenap

This just seems like the usual PR fluff, I would not get my hopes up. There is little chance they have much to show, otherwise they would have teased a little more before release in order to reduce some fear that it's WiiU all over again with no games.

ramparter

Banned

Even the current 3D pokemon on 3DS doesn't look that bad with something as simple as a resolution increase:

pokemon1c3xb1.jpg

pokemon2lba6p.jpg

Nintendo just has to increase the resolution to 1080p, fix the 2D Bitmap background in the battle screen, swap the low res fonts and add a little Anti Aliasing: there you have your Switch-Pokemon.
Nintendo should start offering the 3d virtual console games on higher resolutions. Many GC games would look just fine by a simple res bump.

Matbtz

The past 2 SSB titles had a gestation period of 7 years. Why would anyone expect things to change? Especially with Sakurai complaining about being burned out?

Because they could easily make a SSB4 port with new characters (maybe a new mode ?) and it will be just fine to have this very complete smash bros on the switch. They could treat it as a service and continue to release DLC down the line.

mario_O

"Ton of great games announced for Switch"

GAF : Great !

"A few low budget 3DS games announced to achieve its life"

GAF : Fucking Nintendo hasn't learned anything, this is Wii U all over again !

This is how I expect E3 this year.

Probably right about the 3DS.

For the Switch, they'll probably show more of what's been announced already: more of Mario Odyssey, more of Xenoblade, more Skyrim etc. And maybe one surprise or two, but nothing major.

Better keep your expectations low, this is Reggie being Reggie, PR talk.

LordKano

Probably right about the 3DS.

For the Switch, they'll probably show more of what's been announced already: more of Mario Odyssey, more of Xenoblade, more Skyrim etc. And maybe one surprise or two, but nothing major.

Better keep your expectations low, this is Reggie being Reggie, PR talk.

They announce a lot of games at every E3 (well, except 2016). Even during the infamous E3 2015 they announced a lot of games (the problem was that they were all crap).

I mean if it is to be on Switch, it needs to be crossplatform. I'm all for them not jumping ship until Gen 8, but based on rumours, that doesn't seem probable.

I don't see why it absolutely need to be crossplatform.

big_z

Nintendo says this every year, even the time they brought wii music and pacmam as the big title. Keep expectations low kids.

I wont be surprised if the focus is on Mario Odyssey and the only other big thing is a glimpse of the not-Metroid game from retro. Toss in a couple wii u ports and a bunch of indie ports and you got nintendos e3.

Nintendo says this every year, even the time they brought wii music and pacmam as the big title. Keep expectations low kids.

I wont be surprised if the focus is on Mario Odyssey and the only other big thing is a glimpse of the not-Metroid game from retro. Toss in a couple wii u ports and a bunch of indie ports and you got nintendos e3.

They certainly did not say it last year, and all people were blown away by Zelda.

jariw

This just seems like the usual PR fluff, I would not get my hopes up. There is little chance they have much to show, otherwise they would have teased a little more before release in order to reduce some fear that it's WiiU all over again with no games.

Just the amount of solid indie titles already announced for 2017 alone are too many to give separate focus on Treehouse Live. On the Wii U that wasn't an "issue", all major indies got Treehouse Live coverage.

Watching that indie announcement stream (and taking to account that Zelda, Super Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Snipperclips, 1-2-Switch, MK8 DX are 1st party announced for this year) and saying that the Switch is "the Wii U all over again" seems pretty strange to me.

Yes, all those rumours being on the money, of course.

Pokémon stars will likely be cross gen, if it exists. Just because one gen (x/y) didn't get a game that largely reused the map like every other gen did (yellow, crystal,emerald,platinum,black2white2) doesn't suddenly mean that a third version only exists because of new hardware.

Why? If they didn't do it for BW2 I mean.

The difference is you could play bw2 on your 3ds without them making two versions.

KAL2006

Banned
Just the amount of solid indie titles already announced for 2017 alone are too many to give separate focus on Treehouse Live. On the Wii U that wasn't an "issue", all major indies got Treehouse Live coverage.

Watching that indie announcement stream (and taking to account that Zelda, Super Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Snipperclips, 1-2-Switch, MK8 DX are 1st party announced for this year) and saying that the Switch is "the Wii U all over again" seems pretty strange to me.

Indies are cool and all but its nothing to celebrate, we habe indiengames and a ton of then are free on PS4 and Xbox One

What people want are new games. Arms and Mario Oddysey is a good start but we need more. Especially with Nintendo leaving Wii U to die one would have thought they have more in the pipeline. And please dont list ports, no one makes a huge deal avout Unvharted Collection, Beyond Remaster, Heavy Rain etc.

JoeM86

I don't see why it absolutely need to be crossplatform.

Because $300 is way too much to be asking for kids. If they do it, then they could damage the userbase for Pokémon. By having it cross platform, they have the best of both.

Then, as it's also a game in the same pokémon generation, they need to work out a myriad of things such as local Multiplayer connectivity between Switch and 3DS. Online can be done relatively easily, but local is where it'll get tricky. Sun & Moon already have a separate friend list to the 3DS (calling them VIPs), but there's a lot that needs to be done.

I honestly would not have pegged a Switch game until 2019 due to the whole compatibility issue plus the increased cost. I was of the belief that Pokémon would shift to Switch down the line when a smaller, cheaper, handheld only (out of the box, dock separate) version of the device could be made and released. People ignore the factor the 2DS had on getting the 3DS out to kids and thus Pokémon. When you go to a Pokémon event, more often than not you will see a kid with a 2DS. The price point is a stickler for the younger market, at least right now.

Cross platform would resolve this until down the line when Generation 8 Pokémon games come

Kiraly

Blow me away Reggae, and I'll buy a Switch.

Pokemon Stars
FIFA
Assassins Creed
A good WRPG
Monster Hunter

People ignore the factor the 2DS had on getting the 3DS out to kids and thus Pokémon. When you go to a Pokémon event, more often than not you will see a kid with a 2DS. The price point is a stickler for the younger market, at least right now.

Cross platform would resolve this until down the line when Generation 8 Pokémon games come

I would argue this is true for adults too. They got a fair number of people back in to Pokémon riding on go hype. There's a risk in telling all those owners 'ok you got your one new game, now go buy new hardware again'.

SalvaPot

Because $300 is way too much to be asking for kids. If they do it, then they could damage the userbase for Pokémon. By having it cross platform, they have the best of both.

Then, as it's also a game in the same pokémon generation, they need to work out a myriad of things such as local Multiplayer connectivity between Switch and 3DS. Online can be done relatively easily, but local is where it'll get tricky. Sun & Moon already have a separate friend list to the 3DS (calling them VIPs), but there's a lot that needs to be done.

I honestly would not have pegged a Switch game until 2019 due to the whole compatibility issue plus the increased cost. I was of the belief that Pokémon would shift to Switch down the line when a smaller, cheaper, handheld only (out of the box, dock separate) version of the device could be made and released. People ignore the factor the 2DS had on getting the 3DS out to kids and thus Pokémon. When you go to a Pokémon event, more often than not you will see a kid with a 2DS. The price point is a stickler for the younger market, at least right now.

Something like Sun 2 and Moon 2? Or more like blue rescue tea, and red rescue team?

gotoadgo

Seriously, what the fuck else is he going to say?

"Oh no, we don't have a lot this year. Gonna be a quiet one from us."

flattie

Really hope we get some new announcements beyond just expanding on the games we already know about. I'm absolutely desperate for a new Metroid (preferably Prime style).

Additionally, would like to see the Prime Trilogy remastered in HD, or at the very least released on the Switch VC.

Would also love to see a new Pikmin. 3 was a wonderful game. Possibly my favourite on the Wii U.

I mean if it is to be on Switch, it needs to be crossplatform. I'm all for them not jumping ship until Gen 8, but based on rumours, that doesn't seem probable.

Pokebank solves transferring Pokemon to different devices if that's what you're getting at.

Plus the third/remastered game have been exclusive to newer platforms (Crystal).

And if it is cross platform how much would the Switch and 3DS version cost? I don't see Nintendo allowing Switch port to be $60 and 3DS to be $40.

Copenap

I haven't heard of any major indie announcements, hope you're not referring to stuff like Binding of Issac (which us a great game, but come on).

And the 5-6 noticable first party games are imo just not enough to carry the system, especially if you consider that the biggest of these was obtained by sacrificing the WiiU. I'm just very sceptical.

JoeM86

Something like Sun 2 and Moon 2? Or more like blue rescue tea, and red rescue team?

More like how Fire Emblem Warriors is being done

Pokebank solves transferring Pokemon to different devices if that's what you're getting at.

Plus the third/remastered game have been exclusive to newer platforms (Crystal).

And if it is cross platform how much would the Switch and 3DS version cost? I don't see Nintendo allowing Switch port to be $60 and 3DS to be $40.

That's not what I'm getting at. Bank isn't a substitute for trading with other people and especially not battling.

KAL2006

Banned
Yes, all those rumours being on the money, of course.

Pokémon stars will likely be cross gen, if it exists. Just because one gen (x/y) didn't get a game that largely reused the map like every other gen did (yellow, crystal,emerald,platinum,black2white2) doesn't suddenly mean that a third version only exists because of new hardware.

The difference is you could play bw2 on your 3ds without them making two versions.

Wasnt Crystal Gameboy Color exclusive. Just saying it isnt like its shocking to habe a 3rd version be exclusive. Also the fact they are charging for online it wouldnt be a good look if it was cross platform and Switch owners pay for online only.

We cant also judge things based on the oast anyway.

Crystal was exclusive to new hardware
Emerald and Platinum was a 3rd version on same hardware
GBA only had 1 generation released while other systems had 2
Black and White 2 was a sequel and not a 3rd version
XY didnt get a 3rd version

Basically we dont know what the helk Gamefreak will do. We onky have Eurogamer rumour to go with which says its exclusive to Switch but then again Eurogamer had a few misses such as GameCube VC (cant have Marii Sunshine with digital triggers) and Mario Oddysssey at launch and Zelda delay.

Mathieran

Banned
I like Reggie but he speaks PR with the best of em, so gotta take what he says with a grain of salt.

Of course Nintendo absolutely needs to show up in a big way at E3 if they want to keep their momentum going.

JoeM86

Wasnt Crystal Gameboy Color exclusive. Just saying it isnt like its shocking to habe a 3rd version be exclusive. Also the fact they are charging for online it wouldnt be a good look if it was cross platform and Switch owners pay for online only.

We cant also judge things based on the oast anyway.

Crystal was exclusive to new hardware
Emerald and Platinum was a 3rd version on same hardware
GBA only had 1 generation released while other systems had 2
Black and White 2 was a sequel and not a 3rd version
XY didnt get a 3rd version

Basically we dont know what the helk Gamefreak will do. We onky have Eurogamer rumour to go with which says its exclusive to Switch but then again Eurogamer had a few misses such as GameCube VC (cant have Marii Sunshine with digital triggers) and Mario Oddysssey at launch and Zelda delay.

Crystal is a different scenario. Gold & Silver were on the Game Boy Color, just not exclusive to it. They could be played on the originals. GameBoy Color was also akin to the DSi and N3DS, not an entirely new hardware line.

Zedark

I haven't heard of any major indie announcements, hope you're not referring to stuff like Binding of Issac (which us a great game, but come on).

And the 5-6 noticable first party games are imo just not enough to carry the system, especially if you consider that the biggest of these was obtained by sacrificing the WiiU. I'm just very sceptical.

These indie announcements: http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/28/14764956/nintendo-indie-games-switch-yooka-laylee-stardew-valley

Also, Super Mario Odyssey was sacrificed from the Wii U?

KAL2006

Banned

I agree $300 is alot for the Pokemon audience. However Nintendo could have a new target eith Switch Pokemon. Loval multiplayer on TV and table top mode. 2 kids can share the same Switch and have splitscreen local multiplayer battles on only 1 Switch using a JoyCon each. Nintendo can also add the ability to have more than 1 save for Pokemon.

A $300 Pokemon bundle with local multiplayer features can potentially get some customers and they can always drop the price down the line too.

PSFan

I don't think they should do a direct this year. With E3 being open to the public this year, it makes more sense to do a live conference.

0racle

Seriously, what the fuck else is he going to say?

"Oh no, we don't have a lot this year. Gonna be a quiet one from us."

Exactly, as a switch owner I'm expecting another one of.those events like that midnight half ass main reveal they did in January.

oti

Banned

pokemon1c3xb1.jpg

pokemon2lba6p.jpg

That's the ideal scenario here I believe. As far as the first Pokémon on Switch goes this would be WinWin for everyone.

KAL2006

Banned
These indie announcements: http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/28/14764956/nintendo-indie-games-switch-yooka-laylee-stardew-valley

Also, Super Mario Odyssey was sacrificed from the Wii U?

Count how many indie games PS4 gets on a daily and lots being free with PSNPlus. We are talking about retail games here. Abd i knoe you are joking about Mario Oddyssey but technically that was supposed to come out on Wii U but shifted. I rememver reading an interview after Maruo 3D Wolrd came out where the devs said they want their next Mario game on Wii U to be more traditional and similar to 64/Galaxy. However they left the Wii U to die and shifted all their games to Switch, with Breath of the Wild being their key game which was originally supposeed to be a Wii U only game but got delayed. Imagine if Sony gave uo on PS3 and we didnt get The Last of Us, Pupeteer, Gran Turismo 6 and etc. But i guess i dont blame Nintendo for dropping Wii U after it did bad, but because they dropped it they better have a boatload of games ready for Switch as their output on consoles over the last few years hasnt been great.

Neff

Nintendo should start offering the 3d virtual console games on higher resolutions. Many GC games would look just fine by a simple res bump.

It remains to be seen how practical this is. The N64 VC games got a resolution boost up to 480p, but their DS VC games are still in their native res.

I'm sure I'm not the only one pulling for 1080p F-Zero GX with online matchmaking, though.

Monumma

Abd i knoe you are joking about Mario Oddyssey but technically that was supposed to come out on Wii U but shifted. I rememver reading an interview after Maruo 3D Wolrd came out where the devs said they want their next Mario game on Wii U to be more traditional and similar to 64/Galaxy.

It doesnt really change the point you are discussing, but I'd like to see a link if you have one.

Ansatz

Nintendo Switch 1st party announcements: Retro's Studios, Smash Bros. 4 Deluxe, Pikmin 4. All 2017 games

I'm fine with that.

Unfortunately I can't see them solve the problem of bringing Mario Maker to Switch, whether it's an enhanced port or sequel, given the screen is capacitive. I tried making a level the other day on Wii U using my finger instead of the stylus. It's terrible

Nintendo Switch 1st party announcements: Retro's Studios, Smash Bros. 4 Deluxe, Pikmin 4. All 2017 games

I'm fine with that.

Unfortunately I can't see them solve the problem of bringing Mario Maker to Switch, whether it's an enhanced port or sequel, given the screen is capacitive. I tried making a level the other day on Wii U using my finger instead of the stylus. It's terrible

The Wii U screen is the same as the Switches screen?

Top Bottom