• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Nintendo will have a big E3 this year.

Are there any safe bets as to what could release this year, like Retro's game maybe?

Sorry if that was already answered. Been out of the loop for a while with Nintendo, especially on home consoles.
I think Pokémon Stars and Smash 4 port (if real) will come this year.

I used to think Retros game will be this year, but I think that's too many games for one holiday. I think Retros game will be February or March of 2018.

Neifirst

My hope is that the success of Splatoon gave Nintendo the confidence to double-down on creating major character-based new IP.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My armchair analysis is that Nintendo's plan is:

Announce Switch, generate hype

Bank on Zelda to carry its early adopters while riding out the Q1 2017 onslaught of great games for other systems

Announce megatons at E3 after the Switch stock system gets better and the AAA Spring release hype has died down

Sell lots of Switches

Good luck to Nintendo -- looking forward to whatever else they've got coming up out of their studios right now.

I hope E3 is an all-around killer show this year, with Nintendo just being one positive aspect to the entire thing.

I've never been more enthusiastic about videogames in my life, so I'm really hoping the central "corporate" show is one hell of a good time this year and keeps the industry momentum swinging in a good direction. :)

I haven't bought into any of Reggie's bullshit for years now, the guy is the epitome of a used car salesman. That being said, I have no doubt he's telling the truth this time. Nintendo knows they need to go big or go home with the Switch and they are going to want to keep the hype train going full steam. I have little doubt they've been holding back some big announcements and the Switch has more big games coming than they've let on.

Now his promises of big 3DS announcements....lol. My body is ready for Federation Force DLC.

marmoka

Banned
If they don't do a live conference, they just need to bring Chicken Robot back. And forget the puppets.

I hope they don't waste any second on showing games just for joy-con gimnicks, like they did with 1-2 Switch in the January presentation, or those awful 20 minutes of Nintendoland in 2012. You need to attack gamers and costumers Ninty, not to frighten them with such horrible presentations. After those horrible moments and feedback, hope you finally learned the lessons and never ever do this again.

E3 2014 was brilliant, was perfect, was the way things had to be done. Everyone loved it. Bring back an E3 like that please!!

Clov

I want to get excited, but I felt that my hype let me down during the Switch conference, where there were way less titles than I expected. I'll be cautiously optimistic for now.

Akai__

I think Pokémon Stars and Smash 4 port (if real) will come this year.

I used to think Retros game will be this year, but I think that's too many games for one holiday. I think Retros game will be February or March of 2018.

This would mean MK8D, Pokemon and Mario Odyssey for me.

I guess Retro hasn't hinted at what they are making? I'm really not interested in Donkey Kong, so I'd preferably want a new Metroid Game. But I somehow doubt that it will happen, considering poor sales in that franchise.

If only they repeated 2002 with a 2D and 3D one at the same day. Plus points if the 3D one had MP on par with todays shooters (lobbies, matchmaking, etc.). Guess it's nice to want things. :/

Akai__

Is Pokemon Stars a definite thing? Or just a rumour still?

A rumour that is supported by:

- Gamefreak hiring people for Pokemon on Switch.
- Gamefreak saying that Pokemon on Swich will change Pokemon forever.
- Eurogamer and other sources being very confident in it.
- In game code in Sun/Moon, where Pokemon follow you arround.

Neoxon

A rumor but a rumor that Eurogamer seems really really confident in.
This. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they've been right about their other Switch reports & other rumors thus far (GameCube VC & Mother 3 still pending) plus them being an actual reputable gaming news site. If their initial report was wrong, they would have given an update as they were filled in like what happened with Zelda (they got NoA sources telling them it'd be there at launch, which was the case). But instead, Eurogamer doubled-down on Stars being Switch-only.

I guess Retro hasn't hinted at what they are making? I'm really not interested in Donkey Kong, so I'd preferably want a new Metroid Game. But I somehow doubt that it will happen, considering poor sales in that franchise.

If only they repeated 2002 with a 2D and 3D one at the same day. Plus points if the 3D one had MP on par with todays shooters (lobbies, matchmaking, etc.). Guess it's nice to want things. :/

The possibility of Retro delivering a new DK game instead of Metroid...these are dark times. I still remember the one-two punch of Prime/Fusion. And then Zero Mission not too long after.

Neoxon

A rumour that is supported by:
  • Game Freak hiring people for Pokemon on Switch.
  • Game Freak saying that Pokemon on Swich will change Pokemon forever.
  • Eurogamer and other sources being very confident in it.
  • In game code in Sun/Moon, where Pokemon follow you arround.
To be fair, the job listing that Game Freak put up is likely for Gen 8 since the contract job is for until May 2018. You do have a point with the other 3, especially the last bullet point.

lutheran

I still say Nintendo will try real real hard to keep both of their hardware products going for as long as possible. I know people think the Switch will have all of Nintendo's attention after this year but they seem to think they can get back to the Wii/DS days and I wish they would just drop that mindset. The Switch will suffer tremendously down the road a bit if they continue to push the 3DS on customers and 3rd party developers and of course their own developers.

According to rumors Retro is making everything lol. Some have said it's a new IP or it's an IP that's not Metroid or DK. Then you had Retro post pictures of Prime ribs on twitter lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Most likely we're going to see:

Pokemon Stars
Smash Bros. port
Ubisoft/Nintendo Rabbids RPG
Much more Mario Odyssey
Zelda BotW DLC details

That's a decent start, I think. If they can add Retro's game along with some sort of Animal Crossing news, we've got a stew going.

I mean they already have a solid year with the currently announced titles

But yeah having Pokemon and Smash on retainer...

Rumors of a Metroid.... More WiiU ports like Mario Maker

New Pikmin is apparently ready and I assume they have something in mind for animal crossing

Xenoblade 2 is this year

Wtf Nintendo you were ready for 2017

AniHawk

my guesses:

likely:
pikmin 4
super smash bros. 4 switch
pokemon stars

50/50:
retro's game
bayonetta 3

unlikely:
2d mario / super mario maker 2
beyond good & evil 2
disgaea 6: cool ghosts

basically, the focus at e3 should be through march 2018 or at latest, june 2018. i feel like 2017 is pretty full and we'll probably see retro's next thing in 2018 even if it's already done.

MCN

Banned
My armchair analysis is that Nintendo's plan is:

Announce Switch, generate hype

Bank on Zelda to carry its early adopters while riding out the Q1 2017 onslaught of great games for other systems

Announce megatons at E3 after the Switch stock system gets better and the AAA Spring release hype has died down

Sell lots of Switches

Release Mario in November

Own Christmas.

test_account

XP-39C²
- Gamefreak saying that Pokemon on Swich will change Pokemon forever.
I dont think that he said exactly that, but rather that if they were to make a Pokemon game primarily for Switch, it would be handled differently compared to how they did it with portable titles. That could be anything really. I cant see the game will be dramatically different. The Switch is afterall the successor to the 3DS. That said, a Pokemon game will be released for the Switch, that is a given at least.

Garlador

900x.jpg
Metroid or bust.

Top Bottom