• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Nintendo will have a big E3 this year.

If we get smash I want a tag team or rotation mode, give us the ability to choose a team of characters to use in stock matches.

Smash Delux

Clov

I hope there isn't too much of a 3DS focus. I know there's still some stuff that has to be shown off in more detail, like Pikmin 3DS, but I'd like if most of the announcements were Switch-centric.

I really hope we see Smash Bros this year.

Kyzer

Banned
If we get smash I want a tag team or rotation mode, give us the ability to choose a team of characters to use in stock matches.

Smash Delux

I would enjoy that. Idk if anyone would agree with me but I would like an improved subspace emissary. I feel like smash 4s engine would already improve it quite a bit

^ I agree with you!

Smash Delux

I really want a single player mode like the Subspace Emissary. It not being there really lowered my play time for Smash Wii U compared to Brawl. Not living on a college campus also did that though.

I really hope we get closer to Melee with a new Smash game. We've had 2 slower paced games already, it'd be nice to have another faster game in the series.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I hope so. The Switch has so much potential to bea great console. Hopefully he isn't all talk like that Phil Soencer guy, who hypes up their E3 conference year after year and end up with mediocre showings, and the highlight of their shows is fucking controllers and being able to play 360 games.

Just give me a mainline Pokémon on Switch and I'll be more than happy.

Toxi

Banned
*Before E3*

"Nintendo's totally got a great Metroid game ready!"

*After E3*

"Well of course, any Metroid game would be too far off to show. Nintendo's saving the Metroid bombshell for 2018."

Blobbers

*Before E3*

"Nintendo's totally got a great Metroid game ready!"

*After E3*

"Well of course, any Metroid game would be too far off to show. Nintendo's saving the Metroid bombshell for 2018."

After E3 2018: "Reggie: Metroid fans, your passion is endearing. We hear ya. this is totally not damage control."

Almost nothing Reggie says is meaningful. Nintendo should have a big E3 this year, though. Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Stars (assuming the rumors are true) would be enough. We'll also see a couple unannounced games like a SSB port or Pikmin. And I'd be surprised if we didn't see what Retro is working on in video form even though it's almost certainly a fall 2018 title. Add Virtual Console news and almost anything fans have been asking for and that's a pretty massive E3 for them.

Gartooth

What I'm expecting is more B tier 3DS games, and then a Smash port and Pokemon Stars to round out 2017 for new releases. For 2018 maybe we see Fire Emblem Switch, Retro's game, and Pikmin 4.

KtSlime

I hope there isn't too much of a 3DS focus. I know there's still some stuff that has to be shown off in more detail, like Pikmin 3DS, but I'd like if most of the announcements were Switch-centric.

I really hope we see Smash Bros this year.

Whatever the 3DS focus is it will simply be whatever is in either the development or translation pipeline. For Japan, there probably isn't much to release after DQ11. Rest of the world takes a bit of time for translation, so you guys maybe getting 3DS game for a bit longer.

RPGamer92

Banned
Almost nothing Reggie says is meaningful. Nintendo should have a big E3 this year, though. Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Stars (assuming the rumors are true) would be enough. We'll also see a couple unannounced games like a SSB port or Pikmin. And I'd be surprised if we didn't see what Retro is working on in video form even though it's almost certainly a fall 2018 title. Add Virtual Console news and almost anything fans have been asking for and that's a pretty massive E3 for them.
No way would 2 games one of which being a port would be enough.

takriel

So has Sakurai been working on a new game or has he been dedicating all his time to the Smash Bros. 4 DLC and port?

CronoShot

I don't think there's a chance in hell of Pokemon Stars on anything but 3DS.

Remember, TPC makes those decisions, not Nintendo. They also released Pokemon Black & White 2 on the DS well after the 3DS launched.

takriel

Remember, TPC makes those decisions, not Nintendo. They also released Pokemon Black & White 2 on the DS well after the 3DS launched.
Well, their fucking loss then. I won't buy another 3DS game. The sooner this console dies, the better. Switch all the way baby.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
What I would love to see:

Metroid Prime
Pokemon (for sales)
The Last Story 2
Pandora's Tower 2
Xenoblade 2
Enternal Darkness Remake
Pikmin 3 Switch Port
Luigi's Mansion

All I want from the 3DS is for SquareEnix to finally give us FFV remake.

I also hope Reto is creating a new IP, if they're not working on Metroid. All the talent they've acquired has been wasted on Diddy games.

Eurogamer has a pretty outstanding track record when it comes to Nintendo and Switch news though.

Exciting. NIntendo normally avoids trying to drum up hype for E3 because they worry they won't be able to meet expectations. So the fact the Reggie has come out and says this.... it's a big deal. They normally do not talk up E3.

Velcro Fly

Bring it on.

More switch games is great because I actually want one but couldn't justify it just for Zelda.

More 3DS games is great because I'd play them too.

Even if all Nintendo is doing is hyping up localizations for 3DS

takriel

Exciting. NIntendo normally avoids trying to drum up hype for E3 because they worry they won't be able to meet expectations. So the fact the Reggie has come out and says this.... it's a big deal. They normally do not talk up E3.
Pretty sure Reggie does this every year lol. It's standard PR speak.

Well i hope so because the Switch lineup doesn't look too hot right now

I always find this statement odd because Zelda/Mario Kart/Splatoon 2/ARMS/Mario Odyssey/Xenoblade 2 looks like a pretty solid opening 10 months to me. Honestly, add in any 1 or 2 games we commonly discuss (Smash, Mario Maker, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc.) And that's the best opening year ever haha

While I'm still pretty confident we're getting Smash at some point... since they already revealed things like No More Heroes 3, FE Switch, and Shine Megami Tensai with barely anything why would they hold back Smash from the initial release if it presumably had more to show? Maybe to make it seem like fewer ports were coming or save the announcement, but Smash is huge. Hell, I bet if they just showed the Smash logo and said '58 characters... and counting' and people would have exploded.

I wonder a little if it started as a deluxe port but at some point they decided to make it more significant.

Josh5890

After E3 2018: "Reggie: Metroid fans, your passion is endearing. We hear ya. this is totally not damage control."

Day after E3 2020: It's OK guys, Nintendo is just waiting to reveal Metroid with the Super Switch console reveal next year. I'm telling you!

Mario Odyssey.
Xenoblade 2.
Smash Bros.
Pokémon Stars.
Pikmin 4.
Luigi's Mansion 3.
New Kid Icarus.
Yoshi x Rabbids.
Retro's new IP.

Bathe me Regginator.

Josh5890

While I'm still pretty confident we're getting Smash at some point... since they already revealed things like No More Heroes 3, FE Switch, and Shine Megami Tensai with barely anything why would they hold back Smash from the initial release if it presumably had more to show? Maybe to make it seem like fewer ports were coming or save the announcement, but Smash is huge. Hell, I bet if they just showed the Smash logo and said '58 characters... and counting' and people would have exploded.

I wonder a little if it started as a deluxe port but at some point they decided to make it more significant.

Just add a picture of a gamecube controller attached to the Switch and then drop the mic Reggie

Why is Eurogamer getting no benefit of the doubt when they've called so much on the Switch?? All that's left is the Pokémon Stars rumor and GC VC rumor.

I always find this statement odd because Zelda/Mario Kart/Splatoon 2/ARMS/Mario Odyssey/Xenoblade 2 looks like a pretty solid opening 10 months to me. Honestly, add in any 1 or 2 games we commonly discuss (Smash, Mario Maker, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc.) And that's the best opening year ever haha

Yeah I completely agree. The Switch 2017 lineup is insane from a first party perspective.

I guess the lack of third party titles filling out the gaps is the major issue.

NolbertoS

Laura Kate Dale even confirmed that a Pokemon Stars is coming out. She wasn't sure it was a 3DS or Switch. My money is on a Switch version. Makes sense. I hope either a new Metroid, Advance Wars, Star Tropics or another vague nintendo ip gets resurrected soon. Oh and a new Golden Sun would be awesome too :)

LordKano

Either you believe in the whole Pokémon Stars rumor (and it being Switch-exclusive) or you don't believe in it at all. You can't make up stuff like, I believe that Stars is coming but only on 3DS or something like that. That rumor doesn't exist.

Marvel

could never
I'll be watching, I'd like to try the console out but not a Zelda fan so have to wait for more software.

Buggy Loop

Keep your expectations really low. With Nintendo you never know if they mean "there's a lot of great content coming to switch... here's our lineup for the next 4 months" and skip all potential 2018 hype games. They are so very weird like that.

I personally just wish to see some surprising 3rd party support. I don't expect anything 2018 and beyond 1st party wise.

Cartho

So why did GF, a Dev who are well know for taking the "easy" option most of the time in terms of re-using assets and animations etc, go to all the trouble of making loads of HD models for Pokemon Sun and Moon, sticking them in the game files and then not using them?

Why did they bother doing loads of animations for Pokemon walking beside the player char which never got used?

I really feel like there is just too much smoke now for Stars to not come to Switch. I'm guessing it will be on 3DS too but I cannot see them not getting it on Switch. Nintendo will have been pressuring them HARD to get it done and don't forget, they own like a third of Pokemon.

You mention them releasing a DS only Pokemon game after the 3DS came out, however I would argue this is very different. The reason for this is that DS games could run on the 3DS. People who bought a 3DS could still play Black and White 2 on their new system. Sure, it didn't take advantage of the increased power but it was still playable.

I'm fairly sure this is what we will see with Stars - it will launch on both but won't really be much of a showcase for what Switch can really do.

Nintendo will NOT want to wait till late 2018 / 2019 for a mainline Pokemon on Switch. It's the biggest gun they have.

As others have also said, EG have a great track record with Switch rumours - they've not got one wrong yet and seem extremely sure of their sources. Given that Fire emblem Warriors is coming out on both sets of hardware it is not entirely unreasonable to suppose that Stars could do the same. If they've already got lots of HD models etc (which they clearly do) then it shouldn't be that much of a big deal to port it across. Especially if EG is to be believed when they stated that it was "well into development" in late 2016 and had been being developed "in parallel" to Sun and Moon for a while. If that is true, then give an extra year from November 2016 - November 2017 then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it on Switch by the end of this year.

Top Bottom