• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on Switch stock: We dramatically overdelivered.And yet, demand outpaces supply

Neff

I feel like people are really reading way too much into this in an attempt to find some reason to throw shade. Like, the "overdelivered" line is directly referencing the low analyst expectations and Nintendo's original plan to ship only 2 million units. They ended up shipping almost a million more than expected and the demand is still much higher than anticipated, so stock is still low. It doesn't really seem like an outrageous comment to me.

Exactly. All he's doing is putting Switch's insane demand into perspective. They went above their original mandate to meet expectations and it still wasn't enough.

It's an incredible success story.

Hero

People get crazy when Nintendo is successful.

Will never forget the meltdowns that the 1-2 combination of DS and Wii delivered.

Maximo

They're going to pass that in little over a year, according to the predictions.

What a waste of a gen for them.

Hahaha Jesus really puts things into perspective, you forget just how awful the WiiU numbers were, 13.5 million hell even the Gamecube was 22 million...

Wamb0wneD

Claiming that you "overdelivered" when people still can't buy your product is complete BS. That's what's offensive.

They have failed to adequately serve their audience. Therefore, they have underdelivered. These kinds of statements are insulting to people who want to get Switches and still can't buy them. Just because you said you would make 2 million and actually made 2.8 million doesn't mean you've overdelivered. It means you're claiming to be proud while ignoring those who haven't been able to get one and are willfully unaware of actual market demands. See: Early years of amiibo, NES Classic and soon to be SNES Classic.

Nintendo is a broken record. Do a terrible job of providing product to your audience, claim you did a great job. Repeat. They're the Trump of the video game industry.

That's exactly what it means. And it wasn't Reggie saying 2 million and then shipping 2.8 million, not even Nintendo as a whole. There are different people involved here. Overdelivering in regard to estimates is not the same thing as overdelivering in regard to demand so no, it's not insulting to people who didn't get one yet, ffs. Only to those without reading comprehension.

koss424

Claiming that you "overdelivered" when people still can't buy your product is complete BS. That's what's offensive.

They have failed to adequately serve their audience. Therefore, they have underdelivered. These kinds of statements are insulting to people who want to get Switches and still can't buy them. Just because you said you would make 2 million and actually made 2.8 million doesn't mean you've overdelivered. It means you're claiming to be proud while ignoring those who haven't been able to get one and are willfully unaware of actual market demands. See: Early years of amiibo, NES Classic and soon to be SNES Classic.

Nintendo is a broken record. Do a terrible job of providing product to your audience, claim you did a great job. Repeat. They're the Trump of the video game industry.

Funny how the Switch was 'dead in the water' by the same experts here at reveal and now it's obvious it was going to be so much more popular.

But the Switch has been beating most expectations, from analysts, Capcom, Neogaf warriors... In what way is/are the Switch launch/sales/prospect a "negative"? How do you see the world around you? Is it an happy place?

Its negative in the way that a ton of people want the product and they cant get hold of it because they didnt make enough.

You seem to think I said something more personal than I actually did. I have no horse in this race. Simply stating what was happening.

In the world of marketing, when something that is negatively effecting your business happens you try and fix it and spin it. You need damage control.

Switch turned out to be more popular than they expected. They made way to few of them and now have a bunch of people who want there product but not enough supply. Throw in the crap with NES and SNES classic and it all adds into a negative feeling towards nintendo to give the impression they dont give a shit (im sure its not true but thats besides the point).

This is why they say crap like this rather than straight faced facts.

You can add your own spin to it if you like with lines like "In what way is/are the Switch launch/sales/prospect a "negative"?". But that is just you ignoring whats actually happening and making excuses for some reason. It selling well is obviously a possitive. But thats not whats the issue here. The issue is the excuse for the situation regardling supply of all there recent products, not demand of said products.

ITT, people need to take an ECON 101 class.

toneroni

Exactly. All he's doing is putting Switch's insane demand into perspective. They went above their original mandate to meet expectations and it still wasn't enough.

It's an incredible success story.

Now we need some more GAMES (not me though since my backlog is insane but yeah...)

Seeing as this thread has a lot of switch fans I was wondering if one of you can direct me to a link where I can easily see what the indie games out for switch are? Im interested in getting one at somepoint but im not a huge fan of Nintendos IP's. But I like the hardware and if its indie games library appeals thats what will seal the deal for me.

Currently I have no real idea what you can get on it.

spared

I don't think that word means what you think it means, Reggie.

It's good that more units are coming, but acting bewildered and annoyed at people who can't buy your product and want to is a little tasteless.

OK man, but it does happen sometimes that you can't meet the demand because it's way too big. Nintendo has a legion of die-hard fans + now a brand new crowd that can't get enough of it and word of mouth is beyond good on the product. These things happen. Delivering 2.8 million consoles during launch window, I mean that's a lot of material to assemble, so to speak...

phanphare

Banned
Seeing as this thread has a lot of switch fans I was wondering if one of you can direct me to a link where I can easily see what the indie games out for switch are? Im interested in getting one at somepoint but im not a huge fan of Nintendos IP's. But I like the hardware and if its indie games library appeals thats what will seal the deal for me.

Currently I have no real idea what you can get on it.

honestly this might be the best way, just load more until you get to march and then scroll up and see what you like

http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-...tch|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|release|des|-|-

Armaros

same song and dance

So context is same song and dance?

Why do I get the feeling that the people that have to state 'oh I used to like Reggie' are lying out of their teeth? Just so they don't get called out for same song and dance of 'didn't read, but did post'

I don't get the sarcastic or cynical replies. There's nothing Reggie says in this interview (or most, honestly) that seems unreasonable. Dude gets far more hate than he deserves.

Wholeheartedly agree, and it is disturbing, but honestly, not surprising for an industry that's extremely pale, and a community that's vocal in their hate of anybody perceived as "different". **Sips Cocoa...**

Wholeheartedly agree, and it is disturbing, but honestly, not surprising for an industry that's extremely pale, and a community that's vocal in their hate of anybody perceived as "different". **Sips Cocoa...**

...are you seriously implying that people criticizing Reggie are racists? I really hope I'm reading your post wrong.

Reggie should have never listened to Pachter.

No one that actually makes money in video games actually listens to Michael Pachter. They just humor him like the creepy drunk uncle that shows up at a holiday dinner, nod when he says his crazy s***, and when he's gone, the grown-ups go back to legitimate conversation.

AR15mex

In all honesty, I believe Nintendo did not believe in its product 100%. The success of the switch really took them off guard, and then add the battle for the supply of portable component devices and you have a supply problem. Two million on the first shipment, was that a lot? Can someone provide the first shipment of PS4 back when it launched for some context?

I'm looking through google but I can't find such number.

EDIT: Maybe this provides some context

Sony's PlayStation (PS) 4 may have trouble achieving shipments of 12-16 million units in 2013 as expected, as the related upstream supply chain has not yet received any shipment instructions from the Japan-based vendor, implying a possible delay in the game console's mass shipment schedule, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.
Sony originally told its upstream suppliers that it will start shipping its new PS4 game consoles in June with mass shipments scheduled in August, and shipment volumes would have a chance to reach 20 million units in 2013.
Because of handheld devices such as tablets, games consoles, which used to be the mainstream of the gaming market, have seen shrinking demand over the past few years with overall sales dropping 40% from the peak of 55 million units in 2008 to only 34 million units in 2012.

Link https://www.giantbomb.com/playstation-4/3045-146/forums/sony-ps4-may-not-achieve-expected-shipments-in-201-1435495/

In all honesty, I believe Nintendo did not believe in its product 100%. The success of the switch really took them off guard, and then add the battle for the supply of portable component devices and you have a supply problem. Two million on the first shipment, was that a lot? Can someone provide the first shipment of PS4 back when it launched for some context?

I'm looking through google but I can't find such number.

EDIT: Maybe this provides some context

Link https://www.giantbomb.com/playstation-4/3045-146/forums/sony-ps4-may-not-achieve-expected-shipments-in-201-1435495/
Literally nobody expected the switch to be as popular as it is

LordKasual

Banned
But the Switch has been beating most expectations, from analysts, Capcom, Neogaf warriors... In what way is/are the Switch launch/sales/prospect a "negative"? How do you see the world around you? Is it an happy place?

nintendo does this really funny thing where they state facts that are really good for themselves, and then insultingly attempt to spin that thing as being really good for their consumers. How it manages to work on people, i honestly stopped trying to figure out.

Reggie knows damn well that Nintendo undershipped, and likely continues to under ship their product, and we are way past the point of ignorance.

we're supposed to believe that Nintendo is just so surprised that they're in denial? They've never been in this situation before? They're more successful then they "believed they would be" but now somehow don't know how to meet demand for their own product?

At some point ignorance stops being an excuse, and it stopped being an excuse for Nintendo a long time ago, because they keep ending up in this situation, then turning their hands up and pretending like they are completely ill-equipped for it when it's EXACTLY what they were hoping for.

People take offense to this statement from Reggie because it's an insult to intelligence

Principate

Saint Titanfall
nintendo does this really funny thing where they state facts that are really good for themselves, and then insultingly attempt to spin that thing as being really good for their consumers. How it manages to work on people, i honestly stopped trying to figure out.

Reggie knows damn well that Nintendo undershipped, and likely continues to under ship their product, and we are way past the point of ignorance.

we're supposed to believe that Nintendo is just so surprised that they're in denial? They've never been in this situation before?

They're more successful then they "believed they would be" but now somehow don't know how to meet demand for their own product?

Investors are consumers too.

Blurry15

last I heard there was an LCD shortage? I know ram and nand are also high demand/ low supply too

This. I don't know if people remember reading this a few months back but this is why I think what he says is true. From what I remember reading they were competing with Apple to get as many LCD screens and other parts for their product and supply couldn't keep up with demand.

That's why many people are still struggling to get Switchs. They literally can't make more at a faster rate. People seem to love thinking that Nintendo is out to get them or something but they didn't underproduce the Switch. They are making it as fast as they can with as many parts as they can get a hold of. So when he says they overdelivered I believe it.

LordKasual

Banned
Investors are consumers too.

legit question

at what point did you ever listen to a Nintendo press conference during a gaming event where they devote 70% of it to their sales and success figures and leave thinking that it was directed at you?

I guess i can't knock them for the hustle, but I legitimately do not understand why people are okay with it to the point of actively defending it

I think Nintendo has won when you see people posting such post without reading the article itself.

Look, you can see it in posts like this ^.

Why am I supposed to care about Nintendo "winning"? Were they ever in danger of going out of business or something? What are they winning, and how does that help me, as a gamer? Is it going to affect their library of games in any significant way? Historic evidence says "no", so what do they think I gain from having their marketing statistics thrown at me?

Armaros

we're supposed to believe that Nintendo is just so surprised that they're in denial? They've never been in this situation before? They're more successful then they "believed they would be" but now somehow don't know how to meet demand for their own product?

At some point ignorance stops being an excuse, and it stopped being an excuse for Nintendo a long time ago, because they keep ending up in this situation, then turning their hands up and pretending like they are completely ill-equipped for it when it's EXACTLY what they were hoping for.

People take offense to this statement from Reggie because it's an insult to intelligence

How is the alternate universe you come from? Because in this universe, just about everyone including GAF predicted the Switch would have moderate to lackluster launch sales

Your are spinning more then you claim Reggie is to create a situation where what they said is false or misleading.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
legit question

at what point did you ever listen to a Nintendo press conference during a gaming event where they devote 70% of it to their sales and success figures and leave thinking that it was directed at you?

I guess i can't knock them for the hustle, but I legitimately do not understand why people are okay with it to the point of actively defending it

Look, you can see it in posts like this ^.

Why am I supposed to care about Nintendo "winning"? Were they ever in danger of going out of business or something? What are they winning, and how does that help me, as a gamer? Is it going to affect their library of games in any significant way? Historic evidence says "no", so what do they think I gain from having their marketing statistics thrown at me?
I mean plenty and it's not like Nintendo only does this. They all do it for the obvious reasozn that companies sales success generally don't matter to a consumers day to say interaction with a product beyond it's popular.

And just above you someone reported that the Switch at 4M at June. I don't know if that number is true but if correct it seems like a reasonable number to have available. Eacially considering the perceived demand when comparing the success of the PS3 vs WIiU.

yes, Switch is at 4.7 million the first 2 quarter
Ps4 was at 7.5 million

LordKasual

Banned
How is the alternate universe you come from? Because in this universe, just about everyone including GAF predicted the Switch would have moderate to lackluster launch sales

Your are spinning more then you claim Reggie is to create a situation where what they said is false or misleading.

I thought that the Switch would be a lackluster piece of hardware, just like the Wii was, but I never expected it to have a lackluster sale because Nintendo is extraordinarily good at moving units. The Switch was aiming for an audience on a similar vein that the Wii was, and it was obvious from the jump.

That said, even exceeding all expectations, nobody on earth knows how well the Switch is actually selling better than Nintendo themselves.

I can't recall any other console that has been wildly successful that has the same long-standing issues that Nintendo consistently seems to have, despite how much they brag about how well it's doing, despite how much they consistently claim that they're doing everything they can to meet demand.

Armaros

I thought that the Switch would be a lackluster piece of hardware, just like the Wii was, but I never expected it to have a lackluster sale because Nintendo is extraordinarily good at moving units. The Switch was aiming for an audience on a similar vein that the Wii was, and it was obvious from the jump.

That said, even exceeding all expectations, nobody on earth knows how well the Switch is actually selling better than Nintendo themselves.

I can't recall any other console that has been wildly successful that has the same long-standing issues that Nintendo consistently seems to have, despite how much they brag about how well it's doing, despite how much they consistently claim that they're doing everything they can to meet demand.

So are you just going to ignore actual history and current events? Wii was one of the fastest selling console products ever, and the Switch is dealing with component bottlenecks. Same as literally every other tech hardware company right now.

I guess you haven't heard that Apple is having trouble meeting their production targets for launch? Or the price spikes for GPUs?

No no, this is all Nintendo and nothing else. Reality has nothing to do with it.

The only thing that makes people crazier than a failed Nintendo console is a successful one. This willful evasion of reality to try to spin the Switch away smells an awful lot like the delusions that got pushed forward through the Wii years.

LordKasual

Banned
So are you just going to ignore actual history and current events? Wii was one of the fastest selling console products ever, and the Switch is dealing with component bottlenecks. Same as literally every other tech hardware company right now.

I guess you haven't heard that Apple is having trouble meeting their production targets for launch? Or the price spikes for GPUs?

No no, this is all Nintendo and nothing else. Reality has nothing to do with it.

Oh my god, Apple is going to ship twenty times as many Iphones in the same amount of time as Nintendo has sold in Switches total to date.

And GPUs are actually cutting edge technology

Even if we swapped the Switch hardware with what's included in the PS4, this conversation wouldn't be comparable and the situation would still sound stupid

massoluk

Banned
Oh my god, Apple is going to ship twenty times as many Iphones in the same amount of time as Nintendo has sold in Switches total to date.

Even if we swapped the Switch hardware with what's included in the PS4, this conversation wouldn't be comparable and the situation would still sound stupid

Dude, Apple is the reason the entire industry is having components bottleneck right now. Switch is competing for parts used in the iPhone, not PS4

Wamb0wneD

It's about the Nand flash shortage, this has nothing to do with cutting edge technology. Do you really think that the more modern something is the fewer components are available? That's not how any of this works.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Also there's a pretty big difference launching in the holiday season vs spring.
This is the context for any of the replies to koss424:

If they delivered 2.8M at launch then that's more than PS4's launch numbers over a holiday season at tbat. Seems like a reasonable number to have available.

He is merely being corrected after not acknowledging this for several pages.

Armaros

You really don't know anything about this and yet are spouting lots of shit in this thread.

Why do you think Apple has more of the supply of limited components? Maybe because they are fucking Apple and get first dibs?

And maybe it's not comparable to the PS4 because the PS4 isn't being backlogged by a specific component that many other companies also need in their products. Wow, basic logic.

Wamb0wneD

You really don't know anything about this and yet are spouting lots of shit in this thread.

Why do you think Apple has more of the supply of limited components? Maybe because they are fucking Apple and get first dibs?

And maybe it's not comparable to the PS4 because the PS4 isn't being backlogged by a specific component that many other companies also need in their products. Wow, basic logic.

Truly some mind blowing stuff.

first two quarters of the year but the product didn't launch until March..... The Switch sold 4.7 first 4 months being available for sale. You can't really count sales for a quarter that the product didn't exist on the retail shelves.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/26/nintendo-switch-sales-5/

Switch sold 4.7 million first 4 months
Ps4 sold 7.5 million first 5 months

this comparison is called launch aligned
Switch wouldn't have sold more if it launched in February anyway as supply was the limiting factor. so i don't know why we have this conversation. Consoles launch on different dates. that just happens. does not mean we can't compare their sales

brad-t

Nintendo produced 800,000 more units than they planned due despite low expectations, an extremely short-term turnaround. They even paid extra to air-ship them. That was good for consumers, because the shortage could've been way worse. It's an objective fact that Nintendo did over-deliver on their forecasted shipments.

Neither of these things are true.

Top Bottom