• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on Switch stock: We dramatically overdelivered.And yet, demand outpaces supply

Mr_Moogle

Can you show me where he's bullshitting? They said they are going to ship 2 million first and shipped 2.8 million instead. And that analysts said they should be cautious with shipping after the Wii U and the abysmal reaction to their January Event isn't farfetched either.

Mostly the part where he says they "dramatically over-delivered". How can that be the case when you spend a large part of the year struggling to get stock on the shelves?

I don't actually mind Reggie though. Yes he's a bit of a spin doctor but that's his job. I always found his predecessor Perrin Kaplan to be a bit bland in comparison. At least Reggie is usually entertaining to listen to and generally pretty enthusiastic.

Now that i think about it, Reggie's spin is probably no worse than Kaplan's. Remember when she said the Wii was a "Ferrari under the hood". lol.

D_prOdigy

Mostly the part where he says they "dramatically over-delivered". How can that be the case when you spend a large part of the year struggling to get stock on the shelves?

It's really not hard to see that the "over-delivered" phrase is in relation to the original plan of 2 million units for launch. They put out 2.8 million.

The thread title is cheeky bullshit. Author knew exactly what they were doing, I guess.

D.Lo

Ask yourself this: Over delivered on what? What is he saying they over-delivered on?

Here's the answer: it's clear from the context he is talking about dramatically over-delivering on expectations and promises. NOT on demand.

You're ignoring the context. The quote is saying they dramatically over-delivered based on their initial allocations and analyst expectations. Not that they over-delivered in regards to actual demand for the product.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
He's not wrong, no idea why some are jumping at his neck.

Well, you see, when a man and a woman love each other very much...

Because Switch is too successful. And we know thats not a good thing for many people here

ArtHands

So it's the analysts fault. That's fair enough I guess.

No need to jump on me. I'm not a Reggie hater.

It is your who misinterpreted the article and accusing him of bullshit and now people shouldn’t jump on you? 🙄

Mr_Moogle

It is your who misinterpreted the article and accusing him of bullshit and now people shouldn't jump on you? ��

I got that wrong. Reggie isn't lying about the Switch stock situation.

I still think he's a professional bullshit artist though. I've been listening to him for years. He never fails to entertain me with how he can turn any kind of negative about Nintendo into a positive. It's his job and he's very good at it.

ozfunghi

Reggie should have quit while he was ahead, back when he was at his peak. Right after his first public speech as a Nintendo spokesperson, right after the "kicking ass and taking names" comment or whatever the hell it was he said.

Mr_Moogle

He wasn't lying, or mistaken, or saying anything non-factual at all here.

hmm..

You know you can think somebody is full of shit and still not hate them right? I know he's just doing his job.

Reggie should have quit while he was ahead, back when he was at his peak. Right after his first public speech as a Nintendo spokesperson, right after the "kicking ass and taking names" comment or whatever the hell it was he said.

It was a breath of fresh air at the time. NOA we're pretty meek in those later Gamecube years.

Irminsul

Ask different people next time.
Maybe they should ask GAF, source of all video games-related wisdom:

zCClY0c.png

(For those too lazy to count: That's an absolute majority for "Switch won't do better than the Gamecube".)

gtj1092

I'm always confused as to why when Reggie, who works for Nintendo of America, says something, people bring up countries in Europe. Why is that relevant to what he says at all?

He's referencing world wide shipments. You think they sold 2.8 million at launch in the US?

Plus no one looking for one today cares about over delivery at launch.

Seems demand is starting to equalize towards supply everywhere but Japan now.

Damn, didn't think this would cause so much offence. It's true though, isn't it? I doubt Nintendo had high expectations after the Wii U failure. The Switch being the kind of console it is, there was never a guarantee it was going to do well and things could have gone either way. Nintendo set their expectations accordingly. Now that the thing is out, while it's not setting any sales records, it actually doing really well. More so than Nintendo first thought it could and hence why in terms of sales they overdelivered relative to sales expectations. This has also meant that they've underestimated demand, which has contributed to the supply issues. Is that hard to understand?

Pandy

zCClY0c.png

(For those too lazy to count: That's an absolute majority for "Switch won't do better than the Gamecube".)
This.

See also: lukewarm hype response to NES Classic until a few weeks before launch, then massive complaints there wasn't enough stock.

FinalAres

zCClY0c.png

And this is why I actually think the Xbox One X will be a surprising success.

VariantX

I feel like people are being intentionally obtuse.

Everyone was saying, "2 million is way too much, especially after the Wii U disaster. Switch gonna bomb yo!"

Nintendo shipped 2.8 million anyway.

And even that wasn't enough.

So as far as all the experts believed, Nintendo way overdelivered. But sometimes you just smack a home run like the Switch and you have to play catch up.

Again, the idea that Nintendo is artificially inducing shortages is laughable.

People can't read through salt lenses I guess.

NSESN

Now it is the best time to buy Swith. The stock improved and Odyssey still is a month from releasing. When Odysset drops I can only see the stock improving again in January.

Available in the Netherlands everywhere now, but it took awhile.

I remember the PS4 also having problems but I don't recall it was as bad as with the Switch.

Rellik

He wasn't lying, or mistaken, or saying anything non-factual at all here.

hmm..

He's not hating. Just telling the truth. He genuinely is one of the biggest bullshitters in gaming, it's kinda his job to be. But if you even dare mention that on GAF you get Nintendo fans all over your ass.

ArtHands

I got that wrong. Reggie isn't lying about the Switch stock situation.

I still think he's a professional bullshit artist though. I've been listening to him for years. He never fails to entertain me with how he can turn any kind of negative about Nintendo into a positive. It's his job and he's very good at it.

Of course you got that wrong, because you are letting your opinion of him to cause you to jump to conclusion.

gogogow

He's not hating. Just telling the truth. He genuinely is one of the biggest bullshitters in gaming, it's kinda his job to be. But if you even dare mention that on GAF you get Nintendo fans all over your ass.

People like to say stuff like this, "Nintendo fans all over your ass blah blah", "Nintendo gets a pass blah blah". At the same time, all the Nintendo haters come out of the woodwork by reading just the thread title or when there's negative or positive Nintendo news. It goes both ways. I bet when a "Nintendo fan" or whoever goes into a Sony/MS thread and says something bad about Yoshida/Spencer no one will defend that said person.........right...... That's what fans do. There's no need to point it out or make it an exclusive "Nintendo fan" thing. Because it's not. But people like to rage about anything nowadays, guess that's the cool thing to do.

I don't get what people are upset about. Initially, Nintendo was coming in conservative, as were analysts. Their production was set up to be conservative. It turns out the system is a smash hit, so they ramped up as much as they could, but they're still not quite where they need to be despite exceeding everyone's expectations.
What's the problem again? Is it that Nintendo is doing well?

boiled goose

good with gravy
He should just say.

"Switch was our biggest launch ever and it still sold out. We're making switch as fast as we can. We want everyone who wants a switch to be able to buy one."

Done.

Instead of his dumbass apologetics basically telling people to stfu.

The Hermit

zCClY0c.png

This should be brought up everytime people whine about Nintendo "underdeliving"

No one saw it coming. Actually, I realized it would be huge once I realized how wrong gamers forecast game related stuff, especially when Nintendo is involved. The Wii, brain training, nintendogs...

oliverandm

I am still a bit cautious in terms of establishing a belief in the longterm succes of the Switch. They are doing really well now, and hopefully the outflow of great titles continue, but there is a part of me that still thinks that most of the numbers consist of Wii U owners who migrated early. Hope to God I am wrong, because I am also aware that many have found new interest in Nintendo solely because of the Switch as hardware. I am still waiting to see what their plan is for 2018. But I hope the Switch continue to sell well. That just means more great titles available! I know Animal Crossing and Pokémon will clear store shelves, så there is still software to keep momentum!

Royce McCutcheon

This forum is at it's best when Nintendo is on fire, you can tell it turns peoples stomachs to see Ninty successful again lol. People playing dumb for fun now.

Top Bottom