• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on Switch stock: We dramatically overdelivered.And yet, demand outpaces supply

Cuburt

What is this thread even?

He is just referring to launch expectations, which was 2 million by the end of 2016 fiscal year, so about a months worth of sales. Nintendo said they saw demand and increased demand for that window, but only to about 2.8 million, which is still increasing by half.

Nothing about this statement if controversial beside people reading the title alone and taking it out of context.

KaYotiX

Banned
Went to target the other day and grabbed another switch for my wife since she loves Splatoon 2.

Seems certain places have decent supply. Our Target had 2 just sitting there.

D.Lo

I feel like people are really reading way too much into this in an attempt to find some reason to throw shade. Like, the "overdelivered" line is directly referencing the low analyst expectations and Nintendo's original plan to ship only 2 million units. They ended up shipping almost a million more than expected and the demand is still much higher than anticipated, so stock is still low. It doesn't really seem like an outrageous comment to me.
Too much salt in the blood takes away people's ability to read and comprehend text in the correct context.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
"As we look at the overall business, we're constantly looking to do the right thing for the consumer," Fils-Aime said. He brought up the Switch, Nintendo's newest console, as an example.

I'll believe it when I see zero overpriced scalped SNES-classics, Reggie.

Hyun Sai

This thread...

whats-wrong-with-you.gif

GamerJM

Banned
Its amazing how these threads show how little people read articles vs just titles.

I read the whole thing and I still think what he said is kind of dumb. I mean he's not wrong but it's seems silly to me to say "Hey I know people on Reddit are angry and saying we should have produced more but actually we did produce more!". Idk, if I were in his position I probably would have included a statement about how sorry we are. It reads like he's being overly defensive about Nintendo's unit production strategy, like he's offended by armchair internet business analysts who are just doing that shit as an outlet to voice their frustration that they can't buy Nintendo's product, when a statement like this should typically be understanding and kind to consumers.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm always confused as to why when Reggie, who works for Nintendo of America, says something, people bring up countries in Europe. Why is that relevant to what he says at all?

D.Lo

I'm always confused as to why when Reggie, who works for Nintendo of America, says something, people bring up countries in Europe. Why is that relevant to what he says at all?
Hey they're giving away Switches for free with happy meals in Finland or whatever, there is definitely no stock problem anywhere in the world! Why doesn't Reggie just fly to Australia where he could buy all 20k total that have been shipped there!

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I just hope they get rid of the whole slot charger / connector thing and improve upon it with the third party like stuff. Make the base big and ugly so it won't fall over or something, I don't even care. Let it lay down. Hand out controller protectors. Just solve all those issues stemming from that (I don't know how serious the bending issue really is/was because because right dominant hands + battery location, providing some extra strength, could in my opinion result in the bending I have seen in pictures).

JoeFu

Banned
Nintendo expected to only have 2 million Switches for the launch month.

They shipped 2.8 million Switches. They delivered over 2.8 million Switches. Over 800,000 than they projected.

It was still hard to buy one because of the demand.

They shipped over what they thought they could and it wasn't enough.

How is this confusing people?

I don't know that there's a lot of confusion. I think most of the angry reaction is due to this:

It's good that more units are coming, but acting bewildered and annoyed at people who can't buy your product and want to is a little tasteless.

Nintendo may have overdelivered on their projections for launch, but touting this past achievement isn't actually a response to people irritated they still can't buy one. Especially when Mr. Fils-Aime then goes on to say that "the issues have been resolved", in past tense. That is most definitely not the case. Switch is still very supply-constrained in big markets.

Crayolan

Reggie: "Analysts told us to produce 2m cause the Wii U bombed hard, we overproduced by 40% anyway and still couldn't meet demand."

Gaf: "More of Reggie's bullshit PR spin."

I know Reggie says a lot of nothing sometimes but at least read the post before getting angry guys.

MrBS

I didn't even need the rest of the article to know where that heading but it's certainly clear to anyone who would bother to do so what went on. Even with an extremely generous launch allocation switch performs well above everyone's expectation.

What do the naysayers expect to have been done here realistically? Overproduce excess launch stock that they were already advised not to do and hope for the best, risking stuffing channels with stock that could undermine success long term instead betting on a runaway success at Wii levels coming off the Wii U because.... magic? Who here saw this coming? I didn't. Nintendo didn't. Pundits didn't. Gaf didn't. Where is this super obvious level of confidence that we all knew about that Nintendo didn't prior to launch?

Also the trump comparisons, ugh Godwins law 2017, someone else take care of the wall of shame for that hyperbole garbage, I'm going back to work.

rjinaz

A little off topic but if you still are looking for one, check Amazon now and again for their warehouse deals. They listed quite a few today. I was able to pick one up in good condition for $239. Very Good was $254 and Like new was $269.

I mean, lets not forget, their last product was the Wii U

It's something people really seem to not take into account.

Hell, it was the same thing with the Wii following the GameCube. They went from what was then their worst selling console ever, to one that sold about as many units as their last three console generations combined.

Is there anyone who’s been actively looking for a Switch for a week or more, but hasn’t been able to find one? I know that they’re still hard to find, and it sucks that you can’t just walk into a store and get one, but all of the people I know who wanted a Switch managed to track one down.

Nintendo expected to only have 2 million Switches for the launch month.

They shipped 2.8 million Switches. They delivered over 2.8 million Switches. Over 800,000 than they projected.

It was still hard to buy one because of the demand.

alot of people on Gaf see reggie in the thread title and immediately jump down the guys throat for some stupid ass reason. I mean yea when he gives interviews it reads like a PR line but thats also his job Japan makes all the decisions and he has to go along with it there is zero reason to hate the man.

bosh

Reggie is a businessman prodigy. Look at his previous companies and work and how he presents himself with Nintendo. It is key word after key word and a fantastic pace all highlighting the "strength" of Nintendo and it's product. If you need to talk high level about something and need tips just watch a few of his presentations.

Sadist

Some people on GAF: "Jeez Nintendo, why didn't you produce more Switches? You could have predictted this and stop making excuses"

Reggie: "Well guys, you say this stuff, but there was an estimation at launch for about two million sold and we produced 2,8 million and there was even more demand. That was unexpected. People on Reddit make it sound easier than it actually is"

Some people on GAF: "Damn Reggie, stop being so snarky uuugh why are you like this"

Me: Well now

The only thing there really is Nintendo of Europe seem to be able to get the special editions of games, get stock properly done (how many Americans were buying Amiibo of Amazon UK a couple of years back?) and were able to bring out games like Pandora's Tower/Xenoblade/Last Story translated with no fuss. I'd venture they also had an effect on stock of the NES/SNES Minis, but even I feel like that's more to yhe credit of European retailers.

Regardless, if NoE seemingly has enough stroke with Japan, why the hell is Reggie always put in the position of looking like a moron in comparison?

Some people on GAF: "Jeez Nintendo, why didn't you produce more Switches? You could have predictted this and stop making excuses"

Reggie: "Well guys, you say this stuff, but there was an estimation at launch for about two million sold and we produced 2,8 million and there was even more demand. That was unexpected. People on Reddit make it sound easier than it actually is"

Some people on GAF: "Damn Reggie, stop being so snarky uuugh why are you like this"

Me: Well now

The reaction on the first page is yawn-worthy man. He makes the really good point, if they could physically produce more of their product that sells reall well and gives them money, why wouldn't they?

You can guarantee that everybody giving them grief has absolutely zero idea of how manufacturing processes actually work.

antonz

Went to target the other day and grabbed another switch for my wife since she loves Splatoon 2.

Seems certain places have decent supply. Our Target had 2 just sitting there.
Production line has certainly ramped up quite a bit because starting with the beginning of September there has been a heavy and steady flow of consoles pouring in. No more every other week or a handful here and there. Just a constant supply coming in.

Nintendo will likely be increasing that 10 million projection at some point

Sadist

The reaction on the first page is yawn-worthy man. He makes the really good point, if they could physically produce more of their product that sells reall well and gives them money, why wouldn't they?

You can guarantee that everybody giving them grief has absolutely zero idea of how manufacturing processes actually work.
Apparantly. But its what others point out as well: they see Reggie in the title and go all "rraarrrgh Reggie boo hisssss" and never read into it.

But it's been repeated over and over again why Switch supply is scarce and some posters just don't want to hear it.

Soooo.. you're not an early adopter?
Well to be fair, if the rules didn't change in sales/marketing studies, someone who is considered an early adopter buys into a new product within its first year on the market.

Who here saw this coming? I didn't. Nintendo didn't. Pundits didn't. Gaf didn't. Where is this super obvious level of confidence that we all knew about that Nintendo didn't prior to launch?

Exactly! GAF sure as hell did see this coming. Don't get me wrong, there were a handful of posters that believed the switch would see Wii levels of success, maybe more even. But they were tarred and feathered as Nintendo fanboys. There were multiple posts and threads where you get the feeling that this was Nintendo's nail in the coffin, their present day version of the Virtual Boy. There were a lot of skeptics in those 92 pages in that referenced thread, and a bunch of folks demanding Nintendo to lower the price to "$199 with a bundle and I'll think about buying one". People were still questioning if it'll sell at $300 a few months post launch. So many varieties of crow on the menu.

It's funny when Reggie is playing his obvious marketing man role people jump on him. But when Phil Spencer plays the "I get you gamers, I'm your frienddddd" role it's greeeeaaat!

Nosgotham

How did you "overdeliver" if your demand outpaces your supply?

lets say you work for a company that sells hats. a store manager says "hey i think we are going to need 20 red hats this weekend." but you deliver 28 hats instead. just in case. thats over 30 percent extra stock. therefore you overdelivered.

am i taking crazy pills or are people in this thread being overly obtuse?

Top Bottom