• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie - Wii Channels, dev costs & last week being their biggest sales week ever

ziran

CNET - Will the Wii be a set-top box?

Channels:
The company has created a service in Japan that lets consumers get TV listings via the Wii, Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, said at the Dow Jones Consumer Technology Innovations Conference taking place here this week.

Nintendo went forward with the project because a TV Guide Network-like service similar to what Nintendo is offering didn't exist. (TV in Japan is notoriously weird: in the past, PCs and TVs had to be fitted with an array of tuners to get all channels).

There are no plans to bring something like this to the United States at the moment, he said, but Nintendo is always looking around. "There are other channel opportunities," he said. "They may look like games. They may not look like games."
Dev Costs:
Nintendo also spends less on its games than its competitors do.

Developing a game for the DS costs a few hundred thousand dollars. Thus, Nintendo has to sell 100,000 only copies of a game to make money on it.

Wii games cost a little more. Developing a game for Wii might cost $5 million to $10 million, including all of the marketing costs.

By contrast, developing a game for the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 can cost $20 million to $50 million, Fils-Aime asserted. As a result, a developer needs to sell 1.3 million to 1.5 million copies of a game to turn a profit, he argued.
Biggest sales week ever:
Two weeks ago, the company had its biggest sales week ever. Last week, it surpassed that record, he noted. As a result, the console is tough to find for a second holiday season in a row.
The idea of Wii becoming a set top box is interesting, especially considering Nintendo's pro-gaming stance before the system launched. Wii's channels are more appealing than I thought they would be, and the Wii Fit one is a nice addition, but the system really needs a HDD for any further development as an all-in-one box. Also, I don't think this direction is one which Wii owners would be that interested in, still, Nintendo does seem to be adopting a 'throw anything and see what sticks' approach.

Last week being their biggest sales week ever, surpassing the previous week, is impressive, but I suppose expected given the demand for Wii, SMG and DS, and the time of year. Still, it bodes well for November's NPD numbers.

Civil

Spire said:
November NPD is going to be apocalyptic.
Eh, same as always for the Wii. "We sold them all."

It would be far more interesting if the damn thing wasn't supply constrained. See ebay prices and people still lining up at their TRU on Sunday mornings.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow..it's too bad we don't have weekly numbers to be able to say what the highest week ever was. I assume it was launch week?

Link316

Banned
By contrast, developing a game for the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 can cost $20 million to $50 million, Fils-Aime asserted. As a result, a developer needs to sell 1.3 million to 1.5 million copies of a game to turn a profit, he argued.

yeah ok...

Agent Icebeezy said:
If they are able to spout off numbers, why are they paying NPD?

to see what everyone else is doing? Obviously they know how they're doing in terms of shipped figures. They'd just have to look at their accounting records for that. They're paying for market research, not research of their own company.

ziran said:
Dev Costs:
Nintendo also spends less on its games than its competitors do.

Developing a game for the DS costs a few hundred thousand dollars. Thus, Nintendo has to sell 100,000 only copies of a game to make money on it.

Wii games cost a little more. Developing a game for Wii might cost $5 million to $10 million, including all of the marketing costs.

Aside from a few key products, I often wonder how deadly efficient Nintendo is at developing a game. Must be frustrating to collaborate with them if you don't have your shit together on a molecular level.

Duke Togo

All of this is meaningless without another Animal Crossing! Or a Wii Nintendogs! Don't they understand what my fiance wants to play!?

Mudhoney

I wonder if those game development costs he throws out there are an average. A lot of the stuff on Wii certainly seems pretty cheap, while games like Metroid and Galaxy I'm sure cost a bit more to make than the rest.

ziran said:
CNET - Will the Wii be a set-top box?The idea of Wii becoming a set top box is interesting, especially considering Nintendo's pro-gaming stance before the system launched. Wii's channels are more appealing than I thought they would be, and the Wii Fit one is a nice addition, but the system really needs a HDD for any further development as an all-in-one box. Also, I don't think this direction is one which Wii owners would be that interested in, still, Nintendo does seem to be adopting a 'throw anything and see what sticks' approach.
Why is that article even talking about Wii as a set-top box in the first place? Nintendo has a TV-Guide channel, which in no way implies that Nintendo is turning Wii into a set-top box, or intend to do so. So discussing it is really pointless. It's like the people writing that article didn't even read what they wrote before headlining it.

jakncoke

Banned
If it only costs a couple hundred thousand to do a DS game, what does it cost to dev a PSP game? I wonder why he didn't state as well.

botticus

Agent Icebeezy said:
If they are able to spout off numbers, why are they paying NPD?
I'd imagine so they can see how they're selling relative to the rest of the market. Doesn't Nintendo, along with everyone else, use their own internal sales tracking to make PR statements like this?

Wii software has the added benefit of apparently requiring $0 marketing.

rage1973

It will be really interesting to see how many Wiis Nintendo was able to send out. I am thinking in the neighborhood of 700 to 800k. I really did look everywhere and they are nowhere to be found. Most of the employees and Best Buy and Circuit City had no idea when their next shipment was either. I bet they could have easily sold 1.5 million in November if they could have just gotten more units out.

Tieno

bryehn said:
What game cost $50 million?
Maybe something like Halo 3 or GT5? Although I've heard Bungie guys say that Halo is not as expensive as you'd think or that it was well within the budget...don't know which of the two it was anymore.

laserbeam

Banned
Tieno said:
Maybe something like Halo or GT5?

Think factor 5 estimated their costs at 50 Million for Lair too early on.

While not every game will be mega bucks. High Quality AAA Epic games will be very pricey just like not every Wii game will even remotely approach 10 million and theres bound to be exceptions that cost alot more

Mudhoney

jasonbay said:
If it only costs a couple thousand to do a DS game, what does it cost to dev a PSP game? I wonder why he didn't state as well.
article said:
Developing a game for the DS costs a few hundred thousand dollars.

Still, PSP costs would be interesting. Although I'd like it from someone other than Reggie. Who knows how he arrived at those numbers. Is it an average or something?

Attack You said:
Aside from a few key products, I often wonder how deadly efficient Nintendo is at developing a game. Must be frustrating to collaborate with them if you don't have your shit together on a molecular level.

Nintendo has been around for ages, it's no surprise that they're efficient, but as you said, it is an insanely deadly efficiency that seems just ridiculous for a company their size. I remember that old Fortune Magazine article that spoke on this.

Fortune Magazine said:
In short, Iwata has made Nintendo as efficient as a bullet train and as stingy as a bento box. The company's 3,400 employees generated $8.26 billion in revenue last year, or $2.5 million each.
Source: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/06/11/100083454/?postversion=2007053109

It's definitely impressive, and the effects of it have been amplified thanks to their huge success of the Wii/DS. *insert DSprintingmoney.gif*

Mamesj

Banned
Interesting...so the Wii sold its self on games and now they are considering other types of functionality. In a sense, the opposite of what Sony and MS did (tout multimedia functionality before the sales came in.)

ToxicAdam said:
WHAT

Anyone know what game has broached that mark?

Lost Planet hit $40 million with marketing included.

You have to remember that Reggie was including marketing in with the dev costs, which is probably how it should be anyways.

Tieno

laserbeam said:
Think factor 5 estimated their costs at 50 Million for Lair too early on.

While not every game will be mega bucks. High Quality AAA Epic games will be very pricey just like not every Wii game will even remotely approach 10 million and theres bound to be exceptions that cost alot more
If that's true then Lair is one hell of a bomba.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
bryehn said:
What game cost $50 million?

He's most likely referring to the top-tier, high-budget games, rather than the average of *all* titles for the ps3/360. Publishers don't usually reveal official costs.

Also, marketing budget is unusually high for a lot of titles. It's not like all that money is actually put into development unfortunately.

bill0527

He really kind of owns himself with this argument because developers spread this cost around to 3 different platforms now - PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. Between those 3 platforms, its not hard to sell a million copies total and make money unless your game just totally sucks. This is why you still don't see third parties giving the Wii much of anything but lip service. Publishers can spread their risk out over 3 platforms rather than putting all of their eggs in the Wii basket.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
krypt0nian said:
Yeah Fire Emblem showed that. Bastards.

Fire Emblem is still damn awesome. It's not like srpgs get high budgets anyway, and I still like the presentation in FE.

Two weeks ago, the company had its biggest sales week ever. Last week, it surpassed that record, he noted
Wow. I imagine the biggest week would be launch week. If I'm remembering the end of November 2006 NPD correctly, Wii had very close to one week counted, so that week would've accounted for pretty much all of 476K.

Then again, the wording of that doesn't make clear that it means purely Wii sales, even though it comes in a Wii discussion. "The company had its biggest sales week" could mean adding in DS, or it could mean including all software revenue, or *shrug*.

laserbeam

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Wow. I imagine the biggest week would be launch week. If I'm remembering the end of November 2006 NPD correctly, Wii had very close to one week counted, so that week would've accounted for pretty much all of 476K.

Then again, the wording of that doesn't make clear that it means purely Wii sales, even though it comes in a Wii discussion. "The company had its biggest sales week" could mean adding in DS, or it could mean including all software revenue, or *shrug*.

Yeah its a very vague statement but pretty much every scenario possible is just amazing. Hardware wise for DS and Wii it could be 300,000+ in a week

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
bill0527 said:
He really kind of owns himself with this argument because developers spread this cost around to 3 different platforms now - PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. Between those 3 platforms, its not hard to sell a million copies total and make money unless your game just totally sucks. This is why you still don't see third parties giving the Wii much of anything but lip service. Publishers can spread their risk out over 3 platforms rather than putting all of their eggs in the Wii basket.
But, what's to stop them from supporting all 4 platforms?

Top Bottom