• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reheat or eat it cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmx

It has come to my attention that I like to eat a lot of food cold after initial preparation, instead of reheating like a normal human being. First, some common ground...I feel like pizza is one where many people are ok with eating it cold, although it could be topping dependent. More often than not though, I find the cold version tastier than the reheated version.

Wings are another item that I often like to eat cold straight from the fridge, rather than reheat. Again, sometimes it will depend on flavor/seasoning, but my personal trend favors eating it cold.

Ok, so now to venture outside what most people might consider the norm, I also like to eat the following foods cold on occasion:
- fried/baked chicken
- lasagna
- meatloaf
- marinated meats such as steak tips

Anyone else share my desire, and if so which foods??

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm struggling to think of anything I wouldn't prefer to reheat. There's probably something slipping my mind though.

Edit: Ham is a good one, I'll eat that cold.

panty

When I'm making food I like to eat it hot/warm just like you would but I don't have a problem eating some leftovers cold without re-heating. Some foods just taste better or I'm feeling lazy.

"Normal" thing my ass, fuck that.

shink

Doesn't the temperature of food affect taste or something?
I like food hot, maybe it's because I associate hot food with something more filling or substantial.

Kas

See, im the same way. I could spend a good day in the kitchen making a ton of food, but most of the time I'd just eat it cold out of 6hr fridge the next day.

I just don't like microwaving things. They pop and make a mess, and it's just not worth it.

213372bu

Banned
Some chicken wings, usually not breaded, and pizza sometimes taste even better imo not reheated.

Like breakfast pizza and non-breaded chipotle honey wings taste great cold.

But that's as far as I go.

pharmx

Reheat always. Even then I scream in terror if there's still a cold spot after microwaving.

Ewww.

Addendum: If I'm gonna reheat, I need it fully reheated....cold spots gross me out. Temperature contrast in stuff like hot fudge ice cream sundae = good. In partially reheated stuff, not so much.

I usually reheat everything, but I will always eat pork sausages cold. In fact, I think they are better cold the next day.

213372bu

Banned
Oh and if you like cold honey chipotle chicken wings like most normal human beings, teriyaki chicken is fine cold too.

You're spot on with the pizza. I sometimes eat chicken soup or pea soup when it's cold and gelatinous. It seems gross but still tastes good.

Kadin

Lasagna and meatloaf cold sounds awful to me. I just couldn't see enjoying that and I love both of those reheated.

Cold chicken like you'd get from KFC is incredibly good as is pizza. Those are the only two I can think of.

pharmx

Only pizza for me. Everything else just seems wrong. Meatloaf? You gotta be kidding.

I know...I'm weird :( I've even made meatloaf sandwiches and eaten them without heating it up <gasp>

Gotta eat french fries cold. As everyone knows, reheated french fries never taste the same if try and microwave them.

While I agree with your statement about microwaving, I'm conflicted on this one. Don't think I've ever enjoyed cold french fries sober.

213372bu

Banned
Reheated pizza is nasty, I honestly don't get how anyone can eat it like that.

Cold lasagna sounds gross.

It depends on the type of pizza though.

Chicago/some Italian pizzas are just bad if it's cold.

Breakfast pizzas and NY style pizzas in general taste great.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I usually reheat everything, but pizza can go either way. Cold/room temp pizza can be damn good.

pharmx

Lasagna and meatloaf cold sounds awful to me. I just couldn't see enjoying that and I love both of those reheated.

Cold chicken like you'd get from KFC is incredibly good as is pizza. Those are the only two I can think of.

Honestly, with respect to the lasagna and meatloaf, I think it has to do with the flavor of the sauce cold vs hot. Think a lot of the tomato based sauces taste better cold.

It entirely depends on my energy level, and overall desperation. Usually, I wouldn't dare letting my mouth touch a slice of pizza without it being a little hot. But late at night, with no desire for anything other than carnal pleasure - it'll just go right in.

Fried chicken cold is about it for me

Maybe pizza

Usually if I made something and it gets to room temp, I'll just finish it. If I refrigerate it, thats too cold for me to enjoy and will have to reheat it.

Mind you, a lot of things are extremely dangerous to eat if you let them sit out for many hours at room temp. Rice apparently starts breeding various bacteria practically as soon as it's not boiling hot and can have enough to cause serious GI upset or illness if you don't get back to it until morning. And by illness I mean the kill you type.

pharmx

Fried chicken cold is about it for me

Maybe pizza

Usually if I made something and it gets to room temp, I'll just finish it. If I refrigerate it, thats too cold for me to enjoy and will have to reheat it.

Mind you, a lot of things are extremely dangerous to eat if you let them sit out for many hours at room temp. Rice apparently starts breeding various bacteria practically as soon as it's not boiling hot and can have enough to cause serious GI upset or illness if you don't get back to it until morning. And by illness I mean the kill you type.

Ok yeah, but even I wouldn't eat cold rice. That's just straight up disgusting...even after it's nuked, it's barely edible.

DJ_Lae

Pizza, meatloaf, and fried chicken are probably the only things I'll eat cold.

Steak, too, if for some bizarre reason there is leftover steak.

My homemade pizza leftovers never get reheated. I've tried a few times, but it's just not the same.

I can go either way for lasagna, but I think I prefer reheating it.

As for most other stuff, I would rather reheat.

Hektor

Always reheat
Reheat always. Even then I scream in terror if there's still a cold spot after microwaving.

This is so, so, so awful. When you're shoveling something into your mouth, expecting it to be filled with warm ambrosia and then the shock when it's still cold.

Stopped using microwaves because of that danger. Shudder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom