• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Food that tastes better the next day/or when it's reheated

Hey GAF! A thought just occured to me about certain foods. My mom made stuffed grape leaves for dinner yesterday. But today, after it's been reheated, it actually tasted much better than when it was freshly made. It got mushier and tastier. So are there any foods that are like that, GAF? Foods that taste better the next day or when they're reheated?

HoodWinked

Gold Member
costco pizza seems like its cooked to the bare minimum so its pretty floppy when you get it. when you re-heat it in a toaster oven it gets crisp.

lachesis

A lot of soup and stew of course.

and Mapo Tofu.

For some reason when I make authentic Mapo Tofu, it tastes much better next day - more rounded/balanced with ton of umami flavor, yet just as spicy. Sometimes for some reason, mine tastes a bit acidic - I think I may put a bit too much of garlic and ginger, so I think it mellows out along with other spices.

bender

What time is it?
Nothing and you are a goddamn liar if you state otherwise.

DeadlyNegligibleAcaciarat-size_restricted.gif

Singular7

Agreed OP, a food that requires marination tastes better the next day. Sauce based foods, stews, etc.

A steak, asparagus, and bernaise? A salad? Fresh is the only way.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Cold pizza
Pigs in blankets
Cold roast beef

Edit: next day but not reheated.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think the only food I like that doesn't really make a difference whether it's hot, sitting on the counter for hours, or I eat leftovers from the fridge either cold or reheated is fried chicken.

edbrat

Anything stewed or braised or in a sauce generally tastes better the day after, I recall hearing an Italian restaurant routinely makes their ragu a day ahead because there is nothing else they can do to make it taste better apart from leaving it to sit for a day or so. Curries, chilli, ragu, stewed <insert protein or vegetable>, lots of soups. Anyone who makes a big pot of something to eat over the next few days knows this already.

TheMan

chili
most soups or stews

best if you reheat on the stove though, microwaves just can't heat evenly in the same way

Super Mario

Banned
Cold pizza is not better. It is good, but it not on the same level as fresh, hot, pizza, gtfo.

Buffalo Chicken dip tastes better. It has more time for the flavors to develop.

Grinchy

Banned
My homemade spaghetti sauce is better warmed up than fresh off the stove. Same with my homemade Mac and cheese, really.

Top Bottom