• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Release dates for upcoming Nintendo games in Japan (Super Mario Collection announced)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MidnightScott said:
Enhanced port please with the little Mario voices like the Advance games. :3

I will punch a baby dolphin if they do this. >:|

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Those additional SMB3 levels that could never be played in Europe would be more than enough to push me over to buying this. I hope they include them.

MidnightScott said:
Enhanced port please with the little Mario voices like the Advance games. :3
HEEEYA, HEEEYA, HERE I GO, THANK YOU, LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, I GOT IT

No, just... no.

At 2500yen I'll probably just import this, if it even makes the trip to Europe you can guarantee it'll be full price with no CD and the history booklet will be replaced with a small pamphlet listing Mario's major games, a tiny cut down interview and a bunch of adverts for NSMBWii and MKWii.

[Nintex]

Andrex said:
cvxfreak = Japan dude. Presumably it doesn't have a Japanese release date.
That's strange, well my guess is early December like New Super Mario Bros. Wii since it's officially Nintendo's big holiday title.

1004004010359364.jpg

Agalloch

Blu_LED said:
Imagine if it included every single 2D Mario prior to NSMB. Even the handheld ones. And they ran in their original form. No remake bullshit.

Ahhh.I'll Buy it at a High Price! Stranger.

I'm confused as to the actual point of the collection. I mean, I have no qualms with it given the very modest pricing, but it still seems odd to me since they're all avaliable on VC anyway.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anth0ny said:
The fuck is Super Mario Collection?

I'm gonna say... Mario All Stars+World+64.

But I'm gonna pray tonight for Mario 64DS ported to Wii, for use with a Classic/GC controller :D

For $25? In your dreams.

thetrin said:
For $25? In your dreams.
If it were anyone but Nintendo, it might be possible. After all, SMAS SNES rom = 800 points, SMW SNES rom = 800 points, SM64 N64 rom = 1000 points, added all up we've got 2600 points.

Of course, this is Nintendo, so the internal math is more like SMB1 = $20, SMB2 = $20, SMBUSA = $19.99, SMB3 = $20, holy fuck we're giving these people a deal and a half

butter_stick said:
If they're not remakes, there really is no point. Unless you load the disc with weird extras outside of the ROMs.

Dunno - it opens up VC games to owners who aren't familiar with or don't want to buy from the Wii Shop. I could see some people being far happier paying xxx amount for a retail, packaged set of VC games than downloading them individually and dealing with Wii Points etc.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
But I don't think they have or will release the SMAS Rom. So 500 points each for SMB1, SMB2, SMB USA, SMB3, and 800 points for SMW is 2800.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cosmonaut X said:
Dunno - it opens up VC games to owners who aren't familiar with or don't want to buy from the Wii Shop. I could see some people being far happier paying xxx amount for a retail, packaged set of VC games than downloading them individually and dealing with Wii Points etc.

another thing that would do that would be to put the fucking time limited VC demo code they have sitting around to use. include time limited demos of key titles with key retail titles; put your galaxy 2 disc in the drive, and your wii system menu gets time limited demos of smb1/lost levels/3. put your metroid other m disc in the drive and your wii system menu gets time limited demos of metroid and super metroid.

hell, if we're really thinking about things, nintendo could continue with that logic, join the 21st century, and make it so that you can add points and buy the full version of the games from within the time limited demos when your time runs out.

Gravijah

Stumpokapow said:
hell, if we're really thinking about things, nintendo could continue with that logic, join the 21st century, and make it so that you can add points and buy the full version of the games from within the time limited demos when your time runs out.

you so funnnnnnnnnny

Drkirby said:
But I don't think they have or will release the SMAS Rom. So 500 points each for SMB1, SMB2, SMB USA, SMB3, and 800 points for SMW is 2800.
They certainly *have* it. They definitely won't release it.

If nothing else, Nintendo has proven exceptionally skilled at maintaining the value of their catalog titles. There have been brief lapses, like with the original SMAS, and Animal Crossing on GCN, but they very quickly rectified both.

Square's another company that does this. Compare to SEGA, Midway, Capcom, Taito (hilariously given who owns them), and for a while Namco, who whore out their back catalog for pennies relatively speaking.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Segata Sanshiro said:
If it were anyone but Nintendo, it might be possible. After all, SMAS SNES rom = 800 points, SMW SNES rom = 800 points, SM64 N64 rom = 1000 points, added all up we've got 2600 points.

Of course, this is Nintendo, so the internal math is more like SMB1 = $20, SMB2 = $20, SMBUSA = $19.99, SMB3 = $20, holy fuck we're giving these people a deal and a half

Exactly. There's some sort of mental disconnect when a game appears on physical media.

Stumpokapow said:
another thing that would do that would be to put the fucking time limited VC demo code they have sitting around to use. include time limited demos of key titles with key retail titles; put your galaxy 2 disc in the drive, and your wii system menu gets time limited demos of smb1/lost levels/3. put your metroid other m disc in the drive and your wii system menu gets time limited demos of metroid and super metroid.

Yup - using their retail games to promote their DD games and vice versa is something Nintendo have really dropped the ball on. Either through lack of management vision, experience or lack of commitment to DD initially (or all of the above), coupled with the inadequacy of the Wii and DS platforms for that kind of service, Nintendo have really failed to capitalise on the content they've had on their services.

The good news for them is that they still have this huge mass of content ready for their next system (assuming they tied up the licensing etc. nice and tight) and the opportunity to "relaunch" their DD services.

3DS should be a strong indication of what Nintendo are going to do in this regard, so we should have some idea of their next-gen DD strategy soon...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If they were full remakes I couldn't see it being restricted in sale period and region. They're probably roms.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Segata Sanshiro said:

Yeah, but it includes a book and soundtrack. Those items alone could have probably sold on their own for the asking price of this.

Shig said:
Yeah, but it includes a book and soundtrack. Those items alone could have probably sold on their own for the asking price of this.
Oh man a book and a soundtrack! Other publishers sure don't give that kind of thing away for free with preorders!

cvxfreak

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm confused as to the actual point of the collection. I mean, I have no qualms with it given the very modest pricing, but it still seems odd to me since they're all avaliable on VC anyway.

1. Japan loves 2D Mario.
2. Only the originals are available.
3. ???
4. Profit

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh man a book and a soundtrack! Other publishers sure don't give that kind of thing away for free with preorders!
I don't know, is that how they usually do it in Japan? I've never gotten the impression there's a big incentive push for preorders there. I gather SOP there is more to stick those in with a game, call it a CE, and upcharge 2000 yen or so.

And in the US, well, Nintendo won't even release interesting things like books or soundtracks through Club Nintendo, much less with preorders. Other pubs may give them as freebies, but Nintendo's starved the market so much for things like those that people could easily justify a premium.

I'm sure a year after this collection comes out they'll just release Allstars on the VC as well to make even more money.

SE do it all the time.

On another note: Kirby comes out on my birthday! :D (in Japan).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I sure hope they include some obscure titles in the collection.

Mario and Wario, Mario Picross, and Wrecking Crew all come to mind.

edit: Thinking of forgotten Mario titles.. I sure hope Mario Clash and Wario Land VB receive 3DS ports..

Shig said:
I don't know, is that how they usually do it in Japan? I've never gotten the impression there's a big incentive push for preorders there. I gather SOP there is more to stick those in with a game, call it a CE, and upcharge 2000 yen or so.

And in the US, well, Nintendo won't even release interesting things like books or soundtracks through Club Nintendo, much less with preorders. Other pubs may give them as freebies, but Nintendo's starved the market so much for things like those that people could easily justify a premium.
Things are tilted more towards pre-order goodies than CEs as we know them in NA/EU. Special edition system bundles seem to be more popular than CEs here. It's pretty common to get a soundtrack CD with pre-orders or even just first day purchases here. Books aren't quite as common but also happen by and by.

Nintendo gives fuck all for free, though, as ever. The Club Nintendo stuff is rad but that's about all they're gonna give aside from the DVD that tells you how not to play Super Mario Galaxy like a retard.

thetrin

I wouldn't even classify Club Nintendo swag as free.

Segata Sanshiro said:
They certainly *have* it. They definitely won't release it.

If nothing else, Nintendo has proven exceptionally skilled at maintaining the value of their catalog titles. There have been brief lapses, like with the original SMAS, and Animal Crossing on GCN, but they very quickly rectified both.

Square's another company that does this. Compare to SEGA, Midway, Capcom, Taito (hilariously given who owns them), and for a while Namco, who whore out their back catalog for pennies relatively speaking.

Sega's presence on the VC was always a source of great cognitive dissonance to me for this reason.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Nintendo gives fuck all for free, though, as ever. The Club Nintendo stuff is rad but that's about all they're gonna give aside from the DVD that tells you how not to play Super Mario Galaxy like a retard.

Zelda Spirit Tracks stylus was pretty cool.

Gameboy415

duckroll said:
Super Mario Collection Special Pack (includes Super Mario History booklet and soundtrack) = 21st Oct 2010, 2500yen

YES!!!!!!!!!
This is probably being released to commemorate Super Famicom's 20th Anniversary.
If it comes in a Super Famicom-styled case I will import it Day 1.
Can't wait! :D

Chet Rippo said:
But this is Mario. When's the last time they haven't localized a Mario game?

Plenty of times:

Super Mario Bros. 2 for NES
All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. for Famicom Disk System (replaces enemies with Japanese celebs)
Famicom Grand Prix F-1 for Famicom Disk System
Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally for Famicom Disk System
I Am a Teacher: Super Mario no Sweater for Famicom Disk System
Mario Picross 2 on Game Boy
Mario Family for Game Boy Color (for use with the Game Boy Sewing Machine :lol )
Mobile Golf for Game Boy Color (Mario is an unlockable character)
Super Mario Picross on Super Famicom
Mario & Wario on Super Famicom
Wrecking Crew 98 for Super Famicom
Undake 30 Same Game for Super Famicom (a promo puzzle game featuring Mario characters)
Yoshi's Cookie - Kuruppon Oven de Cookie for Super Famicom (Japan-only sequel)
Super Mario 64 Rumble Version for N64 (Same game, but uses the Rumble pack)
Mario no Photopi on N64
Mario Artist: Paint Studio for N64DD
Mario Artist: Polygon Studio for N64DD
Mario Artist: Talent Studio for N64DD
Mario Artist: Communication Kit for N64DD
Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. for GBA
Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. 2 for GBA
Famicom Mini: Mario Bros for GBA
Famicom Mini: Dr. Mario for GBA
Famicom Mini: Wrecking Crew for GBA
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 E-cards for GBA
Nintendo Puzzle Collection for Gamecube
Itadaki Street DS for DS (Square-Enix and Nintendo character board game)

Top Bottom