• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Release dates set for VIP Map Pack 7 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Stallion Free said:
Fucking pathetic.
Nabs said:
That's hilarious and sad.
I rather they charge 5 bucks for different skins for whoever is stupid enough to buy them than to charge 5 bucks for the mappacks, which are free.

I don't see a problem with it.

Nabs

Mr. Snrub said:
Sorry, I suck at typing. Meant to say they aren't available yet. You try the optics on M14/G3 yet?

Haven't had a chance to try the update yet. I might wait until tomorrow.

drizzle said:
I rather they charge 5 bucks for different skins for whoever is stupid enough to buy them than to charge 5 bucks for the mappacks, which are free.

It was just handled so poorly. People being told almost a YEAR ago to buy Dr. Pepper for free DLC!

And here it is months later...not for free.

Boerseun

Banned
I just bought this game today for Ps3, brand new so that I could get the VIP code. Now I see it needs a 1.7 GB update. :lol

I'm looking forward to joining you guys, eventually...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
drizzle said:

They are charging for a map pack, it's called Vietnam. Content repurposed from single player and a previous game shouldn't be charged for ever.

Dammit. Last night I was looking at the EA store and Steam like crazy and it didn't say you need the base game (BC2), so I was thinking they decided to make it a kind of standalone game. Then I just double checked they finally added the notice this morning. Shit. So if I got retail I'm definitely going to have to get it from EA, right?

Nabs

Mr Sandman said:
Dammit. Last night I was looking at the EA store and Steam like crazy and it didn't say you need the base game (BC2), so I was thinking they decided to make it a kind of standalone game. Then I just double checked they finally added the notice this morning. Shit. So if I got retail I'm definitely going to have to get it from EA, right?

i think you're basically buying a cd key when you buy vietnam. you might have to get it from eadm just because steam is set up that way.

Jtrizzy

Keldor said:
Agreed. The way Dice has been handling the "DLC" has been pretty shitty. That said, Battlefield is my favorite fps of this generation and I look forward to Map Pack 7 and Battlefield Vietnam.
Well said my friend, word for word. Even with the horrible support, its still the best.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Stallion Free said:
They are charging for a map pack, it's called Vietnam. Content repurposed from single player and a previous game shouldn't be charged for ever.
Don't be stupid. A MAP PACK is a pack of maps, and they were all free so far.

Vietnam has AT LEAST new music, models, vehicles, textures and weapons. It's like saying Special Forces should've been free on Battlefield 2.

And don't compare it to free community mods (in the Battlefield 1942 days). They're essentially the same thing, but community mods are free because nobody would pay for them.

Also, every other active online shooter has map packs and they charge up to 15 bucks for them (see COD, the worst offender, that even charges for stuff imported from previous COD games). Yes, they're from other games/from singleplayer, but they still had to be worked on. Somebody opened these maps on a map editor and had to change things. And you're getting it for free.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
drizzle said:
Don't be stupid. A MAP PACK is a pack of maps, and they were all free so far.

Vietnam has AT LEAST new music, models, vehicles, textures and weapons.

It's like saying Special Forces should've been free on Battlefield 2.

And don't compare it to free community mods (in the Battlefield 1942 days). They're essentially the same thing, but community mods are free because nobody would pay for them.

Also, every other active online shooter has map packs and they charge up to 15 bucks for them (see COD, the worst offender, that even charges for stuff imported from previous COD games). Yes, they're from other games/from singleplayer, but they still had to be worked on. Somebody opened these maps on a map editor and had to change things. And you're getting it for free.
I never said there was anything wrong with charging for Vietnam, it's a sizeable amount of content that I am excited for, but when most of it is just reskins, I am going to view it as a map pack.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Stallion Free said:
I never said there was anything wrong with charging for Vietnam, it's a sizeable amount of content that I am excited for, but when most of it is just reskins, I am going to view it as a map pack.
They re-skinned the Flamethrower from which weapon then?

Nizz

drizzle said:
If you bought any version of Bad Company 2 new, it came with a code.
If you redeem that code, you're treated as a VIP user.
VIP users have access to all the map packs for free*

*VIETNAM is not a map pack, it's an expansion. That costs 15 usds.
Thanks for answering. :)

Jtrizzy said:
Will there be scopes in vietnam? Which ones?

Pretty sure there's not (except for recon/sniper). To me, this is the biggest bullshit of the whole thing, and it irks me every time they tout it as a "feature". They act like because ACOGs or reflex sights weren't used in Vietnam, then NO attachments can be used. Seems lazy.

Hell yes. About time we finally got some new maps. Hopefully MCOM placement is more aligned with Arica and Valdez than something like White Pass.

the_prime_mover said:
Hell yes. About time we finally got some new maps. Hopefully MCOM placement is more aligned with Arica and Valdez than something like White Pass.

White Pass MCOMS were moved--I don't know if those map mods will be released tomorrow or if they were last night, but they are now outside of the destructible buildings :D

Pimpbaa

drizzle said:
If you bought any version of Bad Company 2 new, it came with a code.
If you redeem that code, you're treated as a VIP user.
VIP users have access to all the map packs for free*

*VIETNAM is not a map pack, it's an expansion. That costs 15 usds.

To clarify a bit, there is no such thing as a VIP user in the PC version (but you still get all the free stuff VIP people get on consoles).

Mr. Snrub said:
White Pass MCOMS were moved--I don't know if those map mods will be released tomorrow or if they were last night, but they are now outside of the destructible buildings :D
that happened immediately on console.

A on the 2nd base is beside the building, behind the green dumpster

B on the 3rd base is behind the building.

B on the 2nd base and A on the 3rd base remain the same as before.

The Faceless Master said:
that happened immediately on console.

A on the 2nd base is beside the building, behind the green dumpster

B on the 3rd base is behind the building.

B on the 2nd base and A on the 3rd base remain the same as before.

News just keeps getting better. I haven't touched BC2 in about a month, but my BLOPS burn out has left me wanting for an FPS experience.

Mr. Snrub said:
It was just handled so poorly. People being told almost a YEAR ago to buy Dr. Pepper for free DLC!

And here it is months later...not for free.
same thing happened on PS3! was supposed to be free with dr.pepper... then whoops, denied!

Atomski said:
Ugh wish I had this on pc now. Hopefully people are still playin it on the 360 though :).
yep, people are playing right now.

Mr. Snrub said:
Pretty sure there's not (except for recon/sniper). To me, this is the biggest bullshit of the whole thing, and it irks me every time they tout it as a "feature". They act like because ACOGs or reflex sights weren't used in Vietnam, then NO attachments can be used. Seems lazy.
And low power scopes (pretty much ACOGs) were pretty common on M16s at the time weren't they? Hell, didn't BF:V have an M16 with a scope? :lol

EDIT: Imagine if this was an attachment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M16A1_PVS-2.JPEG

:lol

Mr Sandman said:
And low power scopes (pretty much ACOGs) were pretty common on M16s at the time weren't they? Hell, didn't BF:V have an M16 with a scope? :lol
if anything, Bad Company 2: Vietnam is a return to more of a BC1 style.

kamspy

Stallion Free said:

Do you have a complete list of all the reskins? I'd like to know which things I shouldn't enjoy in 'Nam.

Mr Sandman said:

EDIT: Imagine if this was an attachment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M16A1_PVS-2.JPEG

:lol

Haha, exactly! The first night vision/Starlight scopes were used in Vietnam, and so were silenced shotguns. Gimme a break, DICE! :lol

Not TOO big of a deal, really, but it's just grating in every interview to hear them go on and on about how "authentic" it is by removing attachments.

Gaogaogao

The Faceless Master said:
SPECACT kit upgrades

The SPECACT kit upgrades have arrived on PC! PC players can now change how their soldiers look on the battlefield with this additional downloadable content. With the 4 kit-specific unique uniforms and the camouflaged SPECACT personal M16A2, UMP-45, MG3 and a gun metal black M95 SNIPER, you have a visual edge on the Battlefield, showing that you’re a force to be reckoned with. Recruited strictly from other high-level Special Operations units such as Delta Force and Spetsnaz, the Special Activities groups – SPECACT – are the elite of the elite, used mainly for covert operations and other high-risk missions in areas where conventional troops cannot be used.

*Requires Battlefield Bad Company 2 to play

Your Battlefield account will be granted the SPECACT kit upgrade. No download or codes required. SPECACT kits will now be available from the kit selection screen after joining a server. *Please note that you must use the same email address as Your Battlefield account to ensure entitlement is delivered to the correct account.
$5
where do I buy them? I love this game, they can take my money especially if these maps are free.

Jtrizzy

I hope they come out tonight, that would be fantastic. I need a break from gt5. Sucks about the lack of scopes in vietnam. Is this confirmed or are we speculating?

Atomski

I jumped on this tonight on 360 to freshen up my skills. Was sad to see hardly anyone was playing at all :(. Hope tomorrow that changes.

If not hows the pc community?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kintaro said:
Sounds like the perfect time for a Steam sale! $15 for BC2! Come on! :D
... the game is only 20$.

Either hope for a bigger discount or suck it up and pay 5$ more than you were hoping for.

Olivero

I've been playing BFBC:2 regularly for the last few months on the 360. I have not had any problems ever getting full games. People will drop out of games if they get stomped on too hard, but you can just rejoin and find a full match pretty easy. So when do these maps go live folks?

Darklord

Banned
Downloaded all the patches, got the maps, went into the game. Not a single server playing the new maps. What the fuck? :\

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Darklord said:
Downloaded all the patches, got the maps, went into the game. Not a single server playing the new maps. What the fuck? :\
I don't think they have flipped the magic switch yet. I got all excited when the patch actually dropped and started up the game at 3 in the morning only to find that 2 servers had actually restarted with the update and the maps weren't actually available yet :(

Darklord

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I don't think they have flipped the magic switch yet. I got all excited when the patch actually dropped and started up the game at 3 in the morning only to find that 2 servers had actually restarted with the update and the maps weren't actually available yet :(

...But I want it NOW! *stomps foot* >:'(

Definity

Yeah, I don't think the monkey has flipped the switch yet either. On the 360 (US region) I can see the Map Pack #7 listed in the store but it's still in the "upcoming" section. If I select one of the new maps in quick match I'm still sent to an old map.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
aaaaaaaaaahhhh.... Oasis. A breath of fresh air. Never thought I'd say this about a map I've played a few hundred times.

Top Bottom