• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy : Next-Gen consoles are a quantum leap

AGITΩ

So more skyrocketing dev costs? more studios claiming they have to "break even"? More studios closing or converting to tablets and smartphones?
Gaming crash, here we are~

Zaventem

Although changes of quantum state occur on the submicroscopic level, in popular discourse, the term "quantum leap" refers to a large increase.

I'm sure he's using it in the way most of us know it by.

Sid

Awesome,this quote is bound to shut up some idiots

I'm sure he's using it in the way most of us know it by.
Yup

AGITΩ;41322743 said:
So more skyrocketing dev costs? more studios claiming they have to "break even"? More studios closing or converting to tablets and smartphones?
I don't think so,if some pubs are in that kind of situation then they will develop titles with ps360 as the lead and then port to ps4/nextbox with a few improvements

Enkidu

Yes, it does. It's a change of state, but still within quantum sizes.
A quantum leap is not by definition a tiny thing, it's just that in physics the world cannot be seen as quantized unless you go really small. A quantum is simply something with a discrete value, as such a quantum leap can be both big and small, but it suggests that a leap from one place to another has taken place, as opposed to a smooth movement between them.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Why would Remedy give a shit about that? They're not selling an engine, if anything, they're making a Durango exclusive, and wouldn't be so broad in praising the systems if they wanted to spin.

Agreed, Remedy are the one team I would trust with this kind of statement.

I guess it comes down to how you define quantum leap tbh, you have to remember Alan Wake was one of the lowest res games on the 360, so if they could run the game @ 1080p next gen I would consider that a quantum leap, others may not.

Grief.exe

When you compare it to technology from 2004, I'm sure it is a decent leap.

But when you compare it to whats available in 2012, its a joke.

Wait until they are released in 2013, its gonna be even worse.

Fast forward to 2020, near the end of their life cycle...its going to be even more of a joke then it is now.

Glad I'm a pc gamer, but the gap is getting worse and worse.

Ooccoo

Soon

LisaWedding_virtual.jpg

AGITΩ;41322743 said:

Remedy have a machine that insures quantum immortality. It nearly worked for that scientist dude but someone knocked the plug out.

The usage of "Quantum Leap" is not based around quantum being small, but on the leap being from one point to another without passing through intervening space. That is to say, it's not an incremental improvement, it's something new.

"There are these new consoles coming and they can do all types of crazy things, aren't you excited? Please buy them so that our games can sell better and we don't go bankrupt. Thanks!"

I'm sure the next consoles are going to be great, but this is just part of the hype machine, especially when two of the three next gen consoles aren't even announced yet (and I'm still unsure if Wii U has been unveiled or not, Nintendo) and they can't show us anything at all.

Majanew

Banned
A quantum leap is not by definition a tiny thing, it's just that in physics the world cannot be seen as quantized unless you go really small. A quantum is simply something with a discrete value, as such a quantum leap can be both big and small, but it suggests that a leap from one place to another has taken place, as opposed to a smooth movement between them.

Ding ding ding.

Quantum leap is a highly significant advance; a breakthrough. It refers to a large increase. Xbox 8 sounds pretty bad ass.

Scott Bakula jumping from the 1950's to the 2000's is a pretty damn big jump. :p Xbox 8 is going from 2005 graphics to 2055? Whoa. Dude.

danwarb

Yes, it does. It's a change of state, but still within quantum sizes.

Yeah, used to describe anything other than atomic electron transition, it means something very big/significant.

I think what he meant was it will be the greatest audio-visual event since Quantum Leap.

x-Lundz-x

I guess we will find out around this time next year, but I would hope 2013 hardware would be quite a significant leap over 2005/2006 hardware.

So we've moved past the x 360 measurement and are now measuring the power increase in quantum leaps.

So WiiU is one quantum leaps above 360, how many quantum leaps will the 720/PS4 be?

Micerider

But are they 3x or 5x better than the current gen? How many PS3s make a PS4, and so forth?!

3x to 5x times betters wouldn't even be a Quantum Leap. If you compare what's been achieved in pas generation, that would still be a small game.

But I don't think that 5x times better (in terms of raw power) would be too much of a problem to attain. GPU's that are 5 to 6 times more powerfull than the one in the Xbox 360 go below 100$ nowadays and these GPU would no doubt be much cheaper for Microsoft or Sony

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I know a d00d who works at Remedy.

I wish it was Sam Lake.

Sid

Well I'm glad to hear that. I wonder how many weeks it will be after their release that PCs start to outperform them.
Shouldn't you be concerned about barebones console ports or how much those pc's will cost?

Maybe you should actually read the article. The mentions no platform.
The 4850 or whatever(in that ballpark) gpu in the wiiu doesn't seem like a quantum leap to me compared to ps360's gpu's

As we all learned from the Rayman Legends thread, unless something is explicitly excluded, it's in.
As i said the 4850 or whatever(in that ballpark) gpu in the wiiu doesn't seem like a quantum leap to me compared to ps360's gpu's

watershed

Banned
I'm excited to see some massive leap in graphics nexr gen but I'm not excited for all the new ways game companies will try to nickel and dime consumers to cover rising costs.

Does nobody else look at the best PCs are capable of at the moment, how much the best PCs cost, and the general lack of creativity, and just think -- even if the tech is powerful, it'll be hard to be wowed? The Crysis and Unreal 4 demos are cool, but meh to me, all the same.

Eideka

Banned
Shouldn't you be concerned about barebones console ports or how much those pc's will cost?
I don't see why "barebone" ports would not look better on PC right off the bat. The hardware is there, unless next-gen consoles really are powerful.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm hoping next gen games are more detailed. Just a normal texture increase isn't going to be enough to satisfy me this time. I'd like open world games to have stores with actual 3D vegetables on a table instead of these 2D paper ones we get now.

The remedy exec is ignoring the wiiu as a next gen console it seems

Most are it seems. There's not much to suggest it will be able to keep up with ps4/720.

ASIS

Says nothing about the graphics :p

In all seriousness though, I do not expect a PS1- PS2 leap but I still think its going to be a good leap.

Micerider

I don't see why "barebone" ports would not look better on PC right off the bat. The hardware is there, unless next-gen consoles really are powerful.

It's not only a question of "powerful" but also a question of architecture. If next-gen consoles are powerful but not more than a mid-range PC, it could still be hard to have quality port with impressive results on PC if the console architecture is vastly different.

Doesn't matter. You will be getting ports anyway.

Indeed, as major developpers would all have their main production pipeline primarily adapted for consoles, with PC as "second-thought".

Sid

Looking better ofc but how much would such pc's cost?i guess we'll see coz i don't think mine(i7 950+580) would have games which are running much better than the ps4(if it has a 7850 as rumored)

Top Bottom