• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy : Next-Gen consoles are a quantum leap

Durante

Great news, I'm looking forward to playing ports from significantly less outdated platforms!
(This is not sarcasm, I really am)

I hope they are working on a new IP, Alan Wake looks incredibly lame and boring.
Alan Wake is great. Very unique setting (in games) and great pacing. A bit too much third person shooter combat but very solid other than that. (Just played the PC version)

dyergram

leapstart.jpg

Glad to hear it.

came here for a image of al this will suffice.

Zoibie

I hope they are working on a new IP, Alan Wake looks incredibly lame and boring.

I assure you that playing it is anything but.

But yeah, very excited to see what these guys make of new hardware. Although it doesn't sound like they're fully committing to next gen projects just yet. I wonder if that means they're working another, smaller sized (Alan Wake?) game to bridge the gap.

derFeef

I assure you that playing it is anything but.

But yeah, very excited to see what these guys make of new hardware. Although it doesn't sound like they're fully committing to next gen projects just yet; I wonder if that means they're working another, smaller sized (Alan Wake?) game to bridge the gap.

Their job hunting "next gen console blockbuster" is going strong for almost two years now and they seem to have recruited many people. (Many in term of Remedy-size. AW was made by 60 people or so).

that's the thing, I haven't played it yet. my graphics card is broken atm

Then it's a bit weird to say you hope they work on a new IP.

Haunted

Given that modern PCs are already a quantum leap (figuratively, not literally) beyond consoles, that doesn't really tell us much.

What did people think? That Orbis and Durango would be as powerful as the Wii U?

Marco1

I would love to see a next-gen AW on nextbox.
And if MS kill the franchise I will personally cut off their balls with a rusty serrated blade dipped in vinegar.

KageMaru

Sure hardware is more demanding in power and cooling, but if you can power it and cool it on PC, you can do it on consoles

Consoles are not tablets to go for portability, so they can have any power and cooling system really at launch and go for revisions later, exactly what happened with PS3/360

I agree that we would probably not see retail parts like 690GTX as they are, or with such raw power and clocks, probably will be something close to 680GTX in raw power with optimizations and performace boosting tricks

Also if i remember right, the ATI equivalent parts are far less demaning in power consumption

No they can't have any power and cooling system. Just look at early models of the PS3 and especially 360, with all the hardware problems they faced. MS and Sony also have to market these systems to a broader demographic, meaning they can't have a system the size of a PC case sitting in the theatre rack for the general consumer. Not to mention how it will also raise the cost of cooling.

It has to be a fine balance between performance, heat/power consumption, and cost at the start. Not years later when die sizes have decreased (which is becoming increasingly harder to do these days).

I'm not going to say they should all be Wii-U levels of power - obviously, I'd like any console released in a years time to be more powerful.

But I do think that from all manufacturers, the industry needs the highest power and most novel application it can muster and put into a £200-350 ($300-450) box. If we have an arms race that results in two high end expensive boxes, we're in for another tough generational transition... we ALL know publishers are capable of making horrible bets on the outcome.

It's not enough for Nintendo alone to try and make and market the affordable, mass market box, because most third parties don't make their money on Nintendo consoles. One of the others has to find a way to address realities.

I think we can make a visually noticeable improvement and make strides in game engines, animation, physics etc. - but right now, I don't see a reason to build expensive and insane boxes. Building high end PCs is expensive right now and they are power hungry. Making a console that will shrink that technology and compete with PCs for the next 5/6 years is going to be a risky and expensive strategy.

I suspect the PS4 and 720 will be priced within the $400-$500 range, and IMO that's fair. Considering the prices of today's consoles, I can see the ps4 and 720 selling well enough if they are marketed well. Expecting $300 launch consoles forever is unrealistic IMO unless we want to slow down technical progression (which is slowing down on it's own).

It makes no sense for MS and Sony to "make and market the affordable, mass market box" because they already have systems that can serve this purpose. The PS360 will be selling for a few more years easily, and after next gen launches, I can see their prices going down at a quicker pace to accommodate this low end market. There is no need for either company to join Nintendo in this respect.

There are major differences between the last generation transition and this one coming up. The industry at large was not prepared for this generation, and many lessons were learned, so the next transition will not be as bad as you make it sound. Plus, while these new consoles will be more powerful by console standards, it doesn't sound like they are building expensive and insane boxes.

So really your concerns are unwarranted IMO.

It degenerates into another Wii U thread...

Come on guys, I am past the point of thinking Wii U belongs in next gen.

Fixed for accuracy. ;)

Wii-U is a next gen system, regardless if you care to realize it or not.

that's the thing, I haven't played it yet. my graphics card is broken atm

You don't have a 360? The game is super cheap these days on the system.

nasos_333

No they can't have any power and cooling system. Just look at early models of the PS3 and especially 360, with all the hardware problems they faced. MS and Sony also have to market these systems to a broader demographic, meaning they can't have a system the size of a PC case sitting in the theatre rack for the general consumer. Not to mention how it will also raise the cost of cooling.

It has to be a fine balance between performance, heat/power consumption, and cost at the start. Not years later when die sizes have decreased (which is becoming increasingly harder to do these days).

I am looking at them and suppose they will still go the same route

MS will just be a but more carefull, PS3 did not have any major problems from what i know

I think they can strike that balance and still be very competitive against PC at lauch with customized hardware

KageMaru

I am looking at them and suppose they will still go the same route

MS will just be a but more carefull, PS3 did not have any major problems from what i know

I think they can strike that balance and still be very competitive against PC at lauch with customized hardware

Yeah it's very likely they will go similar routes, just like this gen.

I also agree that MS will be more careful, a billion dollar mistake will teach any company a lesson, however Sony will be more careful too since the early model PS3s have shown to experience issues as well. It just takes longer for these problems to surface. They both will be smarter with the designs of these consoles, not just with heat management but also cost management as well.

As for being competitive against PCs, well I guess that depends on your definition of competitive. They won't come close to PC level performance, that's for sure. I also don't see any of the next gen systems having highly customized hardware, certainly nothing like this gen. Most of the changes will be the removal of hardware/features that would make no sense in a console or to improve efficiency. Any customization or additions to boost performance will be minimal IMO. In terms of unique hardware, next gen is looking to be the most boring of all.

nasos_333

Yeah it's very likely they will go similar routes, just like this gen.

I also agree that MS will be more careful, a billion dollar mistake will teach any company a lesson, however Sony will be more careful too since the early model PS3s have shown to experience issues as well. It just takes longer for these problems to surface. They both will be smarter with the designs of these consoles, not just with heat management but also cost management as well.

As for being competitive against PCs, well I guess that depends on your definition of competitive. They won't come close to PC level performance, that's for sure. I also don't see any of the next gen systems having highly customized hardware, certainly nothing like this gen. Most of the changes will be the removal of hardware/features that would make no sense in a console or to improve efficiency. Any customization or additions to boost performance will be minimal IMO. In terms of unique hardware, next gen is looking to be the most boring of all.

Fact is we dont really know much about the hardware they will be using, so that is just an assumption

I definatly dont expect them to match PC in raw power though, agree there

Meelow

Banned
It's funny how TC attacks the Wii U, the guy mentions no consoles but of course people will think "It can't be about Wii U, we haven't seen anything next gen yet"

I remember the days when people called the Xbox 360 the Xbox 1.5 due to what we saw at E3 2005.

But people don't remember that.

nasos_333

It's funny how TC attacks the Wii U, the guy mentions no consoles but of course people will think "It can't be about Wii U, we haven't seen anything next gen"

I remember the days when people called the Xbox 360 the Xbox 1.5 due to what we saw at E3 2005.

Actually since Remedy is mainly working with MS and a 720 and Alan Wake 2 are both rumored to be coming, it is safe to assume they have xbox 720 in mind than WiiU

2MF

It degenerates into another Wii U thread...

Come on guys, we are past the point of thinking Wii U belongs in next gen.

Come on, the Wii U is not even beating the other consoles yet, like the Wii was (which was part of what caused the "Wii is not beating us, it's last-gen" meme). It's not time yet to use this troll.

Meelow

Banned
Actually since Remedy is mainly working with MS and a 720 and Alan Wake 2 are both rumored to be coming, it is safe to assume they have xbox 720 in mind than WiiU

Than he could of just been talking about the Xbox 720, the PS4 could be 1x Wii U for all we know.

Awesome news. Bring it on. I don't mind paying $599+ and $80+ games. Not joking. I want the top secret tessellated toad level stuff in all games.

KageMaru

Fact is we dont really know much about the hardware they will be using, so that is just an assumption

I definatly dont expect them to match PC in raw power though, agree there

True, I am just assuming. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. =)

It's funny how TC attacks the Wii U, the guy mentions no consoles but of course people will think "It can't be about Wii U, we haven't seen anything next gen yet"

Only Sony idiots and trolls were calling the 360 a 1.5, what they say never matters. Regardless, you were still able to see a major jump in fidelity, even at the early alpha stages.

All of you guys who keep saying it's early with the Wii-U, that's no excuse as we should still be seeing jumps in the early stages of it's cycle.

I honestly do think we'll see games on the Wii-U that exceed current gen offerings, but I don't believe the jump will be that large at all.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Great to hear this.

Next gen consoles can't get here soon enough. I can't wait to be playing next gen titles.

Booter

the key to success, what the next gen needs much more than increased power is
1) easier-to-use dev tools, potentially open to everyone
2) more dynamic digital marketplace, potentially open to everyone

Meelow

Banned
Only Sony idiots and trolls were calling the 360 a 1.5, what they say never matters. Regardless, you were still able to see a major jump in videlity, even at the early alpha stages.

All of you guys who keep saying it's early with the Wii-U, that's no excuse as we should still be seeing jumps in the early stages of it's cycle.

I honestly do think we'll see games on the Wii-U that exceed current gen offerings, but I don't believe the jump will be that large at all.

The difference is the Xbox to the Xbox 360 was a SD to HD jump, the Wii U/PS4/Xbox 720 won't have that next gen that's why it's harder to tell, the tech demos from E3 2011 on a weaker dev kit already proved the Wii U is next gen and those aren't possible on PS3/360.

Nope, it is next gen.

see5harp

The difference is the Xbox to the Xbox 360 was a SD to HD jump, the Wii U/PS4/Xbox 720 won't have that next gen that's why it's harder to tell, the tech demos from E3 2011 on a weaker dev kit already proved the Wii U is next gen and those aren't possible on PS3/360.

The WiiU IS a jump from SD to HD though, just a little bit late. What I hope is that Nintendo makes the jump to a modern day OS and featureset, at the end of the day I think that was the most important thing the 360 did this gen. Horsepower is always going to increase.

Meelow

Banned
The WiiU IS a jump from SD to HD though, just a little bit late. What I hope is that Nintendo makes the jump to a modern day OS and featureset, at the end of the day I think that was the most important thing the 360 did this gen. Horsepower is always going to increase.

I'm mean the Wii U from the PS3/360 isn't a SD to HD jump like the Xbox and Xbox 360, we already know the Wii U can use DX10 and possibly DX11 from more improved dev kits, the Wii U's ram is 3-4x more than the Xbox 360's ram, the Wii U is using a Radeon HD GPU rumored to be Radeon E6760.

From reliable sources on NeoGAF the WiiU/PS4/720 uses similar architecture.

KageMaru

The difference is the Xbox to the Xbox 360 was a SD to HD jump, the Wii U/PS4/Xbox 720 won't have that next gen that's why it's harder to tell, the tech demos from E3 2011 on a weaker dev kit already proved the Wii U is next gen and those aren't possible on them.

Damn it you quoted me before my edit lol. I need more coffee.

Anyways, no, the only difference wasn't the jump from SD to HD. Saying this would indicate Wii games would look as good as PS360 games, which is not true at all. There were many large advancements made from the ps2/xbox to the PS360 in terms of not only tech but also transistor counts, power consumption, etc. The same cannot be said for the jump between the PS360 and the Wii-U.

Also I don't recall anything shown at E3 2011 that wasn't possible on current gen platforms. Sorry but I don't think you have a realistic outlook of the situation.

Nope, it is next gen.

In context of Metroid-Squadron's post, no it is not.

Meelow

Banned
Damn it you quoted me before my edit lol. I need more coffee.

Anyways, no, the only difference wasn't the jump from SD to HD. Saying this would indicate Wii games would look as good as PS360 games, which is not true at all. There were many large advancements made from the ps2/xbox to the PS360 in terms of not only tech but also transistor counts, power consumption, etc. The same cannot be said for the jump between the PS360 and the Wii-U.

Also I don't recall anything shown at E3 2011 that wasn't possible on current gen platforms. Sorry but I don't think you have a realistic outlook of the situation. .

Yeah but that's the same for the PS4 and Xbox 720 as well.

The Zelda and Bird tech demo.

Top Bottom