• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy : Next-Gen consoles are a quantum leap

Shion

I'm not a PC gamer generally.

I just find it funny that people are worrying about hardware power of consoles in an era they can't compete with PC's. The only way a console will be on even ground with cutting edge PC's in this era?

By being a PC.
Consoles don't need to be as powerful as PCs to produce impressive graphics.
PS3 has the tech of a 2005 PC and yet it gives us stuff like this:

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

tkscz

I'll take a regular controller rather than a wii like controller, thank you

I don't see anyone bringing up the Wii but you, hmmm....

Fun can come from more than once source (ie controller). A fun game comes from a good imagination from a good developer and team. Tech can help some, but others don't need OMEGA LEVEL TECH in order to make a good game. The problem is, those tech based games might sell better than the fun ones.

Generally I just laugh because you could build a PC much more powerful than the PS4 last year.

Talking about purely theoretical capability. By the time it comes out powerhouse PC's will be so much more powerful as to be comical. First gen that happens as well.

PCs and console specs can't be compared 1:1. At PS4 and 720 launch an equivalent PC able to run the same next-gen games at the same fidelity would cost well over a thousand dollars. Why even bring this up? A tiny minuscule % of gamers have very high-end PCs like that.

No-one is denying this. But people aren't allowed to care about what hardware they are purchasing, unless it's extremely high-end and sitting in a black tower underneath a desk? Come the fuck on.

Just stop shitting on people from on top of your high horse, acting like the PC is the end-all-be-all of videogaming.
In graphics, it currently is, but for a lot of other things, naaaaaah.
Also this

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif
Yeah that's what I mean, they can't be compared like that.

Durante

There's always that small period after a new console launch when consoles are turning out better looking games then what you get on PC.
I don't think there will be this gen. Console multiplats will be on PC and they'll be better, at the very least on the high end. Quite simply, 500 W > 200 W, even with the mythical "console optimization".

Acting like you just bought a powerhouse PS4 next year holds about as much weight as buying a "powerhouse" WiiU this year. Both are the most powerful consoles released to date. Neither has anywhere close to the capability of a gaming PC made last year.
This is meaningless reductionism. Being stuck at a 2008 power level is very different from being stuck on 2011 hardware.

BlackJace

Some people are willing to play less games with a higher price, for better production values, what's the big deal? A lot of people do not play that many games a year to begin with, with all the shit there is to do (entertainment-wise) nowadays.. so the few they play can be as good as possible with an higher price.

You're ignoring a huge part of the audience that buys games. The average consumer would rather save up the 80-100 dollars to buy the next iPad or something, rather than buy a vidoegame. Used game, or discounted games make up a large part of gaming sales, showing that people don't want to pay 60. Devs and publishers know this, which is why we hear the rumors of used games being blocked.

I don't think there will be this gen. Console multiplats will be on PC and they'll be better, at the very least on the high end. Quite simply, 500 W > 200 W, even with the mythical "console optimization".

I don't think there's anything mythical about it. Just see what hardware from 2006 is doing nowadays and compare that to the PC side.

I don't see anyone bringing up the Wii but you, hmmm....

Fun can come from more than once source (ie controller). A fun game comes from a good imagination from a good developer and team. Tech can help some, but others don't need OMEGA LEVEL TECH in order to make a good game. The problem is, those tech based games might sell better than the fun ones.

Then what exactly is better gameplay? That couldn't be done on current consoles?

Well, I am a PC gamer. And I'm "worried about the hardware power of consoles" because if they all went the Wii U route multiplatform games would be stuck at a 2008 power level for the next 6 years. I'd rather be stuck at 2011.
That's... you realize I'm not arguing against the increase of capability right? Just arguing that console gamers are the last people to be arguing about "power". Considering they will see a fraction of what is capable.
There's always that small period after a new console launch when consoles are turning out better looking games then what you get on PC.

I still remember being absolutely baffled about Tekken Tag Tournament and FFX, or for this gen, PGR.
And this coming gen you'll likely get console games that far exceed the capability of PC's made last year. With every year after running the same code, at higher resolution, higher fidelity of effects.

Durante

I don't think there's anything mythical about it. Just see what hardware from 2006 is doing nowadays and compare that to the PC side.
I'm not really seeing it, outside of particularly bad PC ports. It's not often talked about since no one cares to run their PC games at 30 FPS, 1280x720 with little or no AA, but 5 year old gaming rigs are still pretty good at that!

Hoo-doo

Banned
How are you getting irritated at me for saying the truth?

I'm all for buying consoles. They are what I do the vast majority of my gaming on.

But I don't really care what kind of power they pack, because it's a drop in the bucket of what is possible.

This is the crux of my argument. Console gamers look foolish drooling over tech. A generation before I could understand. Consoles still had a significantly smaller TDP than a PC, but most parts were made to work under moderate constraints. But now?

The highest end of PC hardware would not fit within the wattage limitations or case size of a console.

Acting like you just bought a powerhouse PS4 next year holds about as much weight as buying a "powerhouse" WiiU this year. Both are the most powerful consoles released to date. Neither has anywhere close to the capability of a gaming PC made last year.

So you don't care in the slightest how well future games will run, or how much better they will and could look, or how much bigger the worlds are that developers can create when it comes to console games? All because you can potentially have it run even better on the monitor on your desk, if the game even comes to the PC, that is?

What kind of an argument is that? Let other people decide what is and isn't important to them, instead of calling them all fools.

Pixel_boy

Banned
The only reason the argument boiled down to that is because Wii was a barren wasteland of software for the majority of the gen, and 360/PS3 had very few exclusives (their successors will even have less).

Majority of the good games can be found on either PS3/360, so there's not much room in the 'console war' to argue about which system has better games...just the better version of said games.

Only when you talking about ports, show me something better then mario galaxy in platformers? I like to think some one could make a good n64 game, and any one playing it would see it as the good game it is.

They more to a game then how it look

*sigh* well i know not every one into game the same way Iam

It's also disingenuous to mention these high-end PCs being better because it implies that most PC gamers are running a monster rig, or even semi-monster. The overwhelmingly vast majority of PC gamers won't be able to run PS4 and 720 games at the same fidelity in the first couple years of this gen. Just because a small % can doesn't mean it should be used in this argument over and over again in an all-encompassing way.

I'm not really seeing it, outside of particularly bad PC ports. It's not often talked about since no one cares to run their PC games at 30 FPS, 1280x720 with little or no AA, but 5 year old gaming rigs are still pretty good at that!

Closer to 6 then 5, or even 7 if you count the 360, and I think you're wrong. I've been gaming on PC since forever and I've always noticed the difference.

Sentenza

Sure, but i care for consoles exclusives mostly, so PC just wont do
Well, sorry, but who cares? That's just your problem.

And to be honest I don't get the whole "Weeh, stop bringing PC in this thread while we are making console wars".

How does it make any sense? Isn't the PC a more-than-viable gaming platform exactly like any Nintendo's, Microsoft's or Sony's console?
If people are arguing about what platform will be the most powerful or versatile or whatever, how does the PC exactly become an inappropriate argument to bring into the discussion?

It's also disingenuous to mention these high-end PCs being better because it implies that most PC gamers are running a monster rig, or even semi-monster. The overwhelmingly vast majority of PC gamers won't be able to run PS4 and 720 games at the same fidelity in the first couple years of this gen.
Yeah... No.

This is meaningless reductionism. Being stuck at a 2008 power level is very different from being stuck on 2011 hardware.
I never said any different.

http://i.minus.com/iHPSqU839KOvt.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Which has everything to do with time, money, and the technical ability of the developer in question.
[quote="Heavy, post: 41329498"]PCs and console specs can't be compared 1:1. At PS4 and 720 launch an equivalent PC able to run the same next-gen games at the same fidelity would cost well over a thousand dollars. Why even bring this up? A tiny minuscule % of gamers have very high-end PCs like that.[/QUOTE]
I never argued any differently. I did say it's akin to arguing that your WiiU is the most powerful console out there. Technically you are right. But if you're willing to spend the money that "power" means nothing.
[quote="Hoo-doo, post: 41329631"]So you don't care in the [I]slightest [/I]how well future games will run, or how much better they will and could look, or how much bigger the worlds are that developers can create when it comes to console games? All because you can [I]potentially[/I] have it run even better on the monitor on your desk, if the game even comes to the PC, that is?

What kind of an argument is that? Let other people decide what is and isn't important to them, instead of calling them all fools.[/QUOTE]
I didn't call anyone a fool. I did say it's foolish to hold up a console as "powerful". They aren't. Nowhere near as powerful as they were in generations past. And they won't be close again until either we place importance on minimal TDP, or consoles adopt cases the size of a PC.
[quote="Heavy, post: 41329676"]It's also disingenuous to mention these high-end PCs being better because it implies that most PC gamers are running a monster rig, or even semi-monster. The overwhelmingly vast majority of PC gamers won't be able to run PS4 and 720 games at the same fidelity in the first couple years of this gen. Just because a small % can doesn't mean it should be used in this argument over and over again in an all-encompassing way.[/QUOTE]
This has no bearing whatsoever on what I said.

It's also disingenuous to mention these high-end PCs being better because it implies that most PC gamers are running a monster rig, or even semi-monster. The overwhelmingly vast majority of PC gamers won't be able to run PS4 and 720 games at the same fidelity in the first couple years of this gen. Just because a small % can doesn't mean it should be used in this argument over and over again.

Yeah, this argument was tired back in 2007. "If devs really want more power than Wii, why don't they make games exclusive for my 4870?"

Because the number of people with a top of the line graphic card is dwarfed by people with mid-range cards, and the number of people with mid-range cards is still dwarfed by people with consoles. High end consoles offer a decent compromise. Which is why PC gamers should be excited about more powerful next gen consoles - 90% of AAA PC titles now are simply up-ported games designed for the PS360's constraints.

If the PS4 and 720 are substantially more powerful than the PS3 and 360, new gameplay (and graphics) possibilities will open up, and the PC will receive better looking versions of those games as well.

StuBurns

Banned

And to be honest I don't get the whole "Weeh, stop bringing PC in this thread while we are making console wars".

How does it make any sense? Isn't the PC a more-than-viable gaming platform exactly like any Nintendo's, Microsoft's or Sony's console?
If people are arguing about what platform will be the most powerful or versatile or whatever, how does the PC exactly become an inappropriate argument to bring into the discussion?
Because it's an automatic win. If five normal high school guys are in a race with the fastest man in the world, first place isn't an interesting discussion.

Yeah, this argument was tired back in 2007. "If devs really want more power than Wii, why don't they make games exclusive for my 4870?"

Because the number of people with a top of the line graphic card is dwarfed by people with mid-range cards, and the number of people with mid-range cards is still dwarfed by people with consoles. High end consoles offer a decent compromise. Which is why PC gamers should be excited about more powerful next gen consoles - 90% of AAA PC titles now are simply up-ported games designed for the PS360's constraints.

If the PS4 and 720 are substantially more powerful than the PS3 and 360, new gameplay (and graphics) possibilities will open up, and the PC will receive better looking versions of those games as well.
Now this is the perfect way of looking at it.

UrbanRats

Only when you talking about ports, show me something better then mario galaxy in platformers? I like to think some one could make a good n64 game, and any one playing it would see it as the good game it is.

They more to a game then how it look

*sigh* well i know not every one into game the same way Iam

I'm not seeing your point here.
Nobody thinks that a game can't be fun unless it runs on a powerful system, but having a lot of power DOES open up new possibilities.
Something like Red Dead Redemption, with Euphoria, wouldn't have been possible on Ps2 (infact, GTASA would actually broke up PS2s and it looked like shit).
I know fans of open world games like i am, can't get enough processing power, because there's still a lot of potential in the genre.
The same may not apply to all genres (such as platformers) though that also is a limited view of things, because more advanced physics interactions could work very well in a 3d platformer for example.
Also seeing SMG on dolphin in 1080p+4xSSAA actually points out how wasted that game is on Wii, visually speaking.

Well said.

Well said. In this argument, which has been had for years like you said, they always use the extreme to back their point, while ignoring the fact that genuine high-end rigs are dwarfed in numbers by mid and lower range gaming setups, which is why it's disingenuous.

tkscz

Then what exactly is better gameplay? That couldn't be done on current consoles?

Well, nothing. I would like to say more open world, but Skyrim is huge, more tech would mean less fade in, but if they detail a open world with too much (which is kinda what everyone here is asking for), you'd still need to use fading textures and what not. There is better AI, I suppose, but AI this gen isn't completely idiotic unless the developers who made it are bad at programming AI. Better physics, but unless it's a game where the physics play a huge role, that wouldn't amount to more than whats been done now. More stuff on screen, but do we really need more enemies/allies/NPCs on screen at once? Most games don't really take advantage of that now. Really, it is only high graphical detail.

Let's be honest here, a good percentage of games we consider to be great gameplay wise this gen, could've easily been done last gen. I can't remember what dev said it (think it was ID), but games are getting to a point where advancing in hardware won't be enough (some speculate we're already at that point).

Because it's not a console? This thread is about next gen consoles.

And seriously, it's silly to just say they're the same thing...

Sentenza

Because it's not a console? This thread is about next gen consoles.

And seriously, it's silly to just say they're the same thing...
StuBurns's answer was far more convincing.
Yours isn't telling me anything useful.

Not being strictly a console doesn't mean shit, especially if you are arguing about how you should orientate for your next purchase.
The point is if it's a gaming platform or not and how does it compete with the others.

Being necessarily focused on a console and nothing else isn't a medical prescription, it's something you choose to do, for whatever reason, when going next gen.

Yeah... yes. History has shown this.

And he did say the vast majority.
Yeah, and that's exactly where he's wrong.

P.S. maybe you didn't notice but "history", regardless how poorly you remember it, isn't exactly going to "repeat" itself this time. Meaning = the gap will be greater than ever.

True.
Now, how many PC games can look as good as this in my 2005 PC?

Now he or someone else will counter with "well the ATI XMonstercard was out then and could run all 2005-06 360 and PS3 games with ease", ignoring the fact that an extremely tiny % of PC gamers would have a setup like that. It would be more fair to take the average PC gamer specs at the time.

True.
Now, how many PC games can look as good as this in my 2005 PC?

Different era my friend.

Neither the PS3 nor 360 were far behind comparative year PC's. They probably had more RAM, but if you were willing to buy they had GPU's and CPU's of similar capability.

Orbis or PS4 is likely to have the most advanced GPU of the generation. It will be really weak in comparison to top end PC GPU's.

Who isn't looking at the next generation of consoles like this? I don't see people claiming to blow PC's out of the water anywhere. You are trying to mock people that do not really exist.
Those acting like this coming generation will be a "quantum leap". Again in only the area of consoles it is very true. Huge leap. But not anywhere close to the power possible.

apana

They are working on Xbox right? The next one supposedly has a lot of RAM, that must be why they are so happy. I'm glad they think it is a quantum leap.

Shion

Different era my friend.

Neither the PS3 nor 360 were far behind comparative year PC's. They probably had more RAM, but if you were willing to buy they had GPU's and CPU's of similar capability.

Orbis or PS4 is likely to have the most advanced GPU of the generation. It will be really weak in comparison to top end PC GPU's.

Those acting like this coming generation will be a "quantum leap". Again in only the area of consoles it is very true. Huge leap. But not anywhere close to the power possible.
My point is that a 1:1 comparison between consoles and PCs makes no sense.

Sentenza

Therefore you're saying the vast majority of PC gamers' setups in 2005 could run PGR3, Kameo, and PDZ at the same fidelity as the 360. Well, you're dead wrong.
What I can tell you is that with a 2004's PC I played most of this gen's early multiplatform games (Oblivion, Gears of War, etc) better on PC than on console.
You on the other hand are trying to make your point with games I couldn't try on PC even today, cause it's the only trick you have to not be proven wrong.

...that barely any PC gamers will own, making it a disingenuous point. Not sure why this is a hard concept to grasp. Just look at the Steam users' PC specs stats Valve releases.

They are working on Xbox right? The next one supposedly has a lot of RAM, that must be why they are so happy. I'm glad they think it is a quantum leap.

Just remember, the majority of neogaf was saying a short time ago they wouldn't have more than 2gb of RAM. Lets see how that turns out.

Therefore you're saying the vast majority of PC gamers' setups in 2005 could run PGR3, Kameo, and PDZ at the same fidelity as the 360. Well, you're dead wrong.

If developed for one set of PC's? It'd be possible. Barring huge system inefficiencies. But that never happened so arguing it is asinine.

We know Orbis GPU is a 1.8t eraflop card. No matter what is in place this is a fraction of the capability possible. My argument was never that this power increase doesn't matter. Just that in comparison to prior generations Orbis and Durango will be so weak in comparison to a modern gaming PC as to be comical.

And yet they will still set the standard for the coming generation. That doesn't make them weak or powerful. That makes them a mid tier standard that Nintendo should have shot for.

tkscz

I'm going over the article again and thinking, what counts as a quantum leap? Like, wouldn't going from the 360's GPU to say a GPU based off a HD Radeon 5000 series be a quantum leap? It would be capable of A LOT more than the Xenon. Or how about from the CPU of the 360 to say a Power6 based quad core. Still would be a hell of a lot better than what the 360 currently uses. And how about 2 GBs of GDDR5? That would still be way over the 512MBs of GDDR3 in the 360. So what counts as a quantum leap?

StuBurns's answer was far more convincing.
Yours isn't telling me anything useful.

Not being strictly a console doesn't mean shit, especially if you are arguing about how you should orientate for your next purchase.
The point is if it's a gaming platform or not and how does it compete with the others.

Being necessarily focused on a console and nothing else isn't a medical prescription, it's something you choose to do, for whatever reason, when going next gen.
You mean Stuburns answer shared your point of view on how PCs always win and mine doesn't?

Not being a console means ALOT on the subject of this thread about, you know, CONSOLES.

Yes, the PC is a gaming platform, and a good one at that, but it isn't a console, some people don't want to buy PCs, they want to buy consoles, they want to buy a system that doesn't require upgrades, where games released for it will always work well without configuration, where they have a company behind that console that develops great games, or simply because they're freaking fanboys, it doesn't matter whatever reasoning is behind them.

Yeah, and that's exactly where he's wrong.

P.S. maybe you didn't notice but "history", regardless how poorly you remember it, isn't exactly going to "repeat" itself this time. Meaning = the gap will be greater than ever.
So you're saying the vast majority of PC gamers WILL be able to run PS4 and 720 games at the same fidelity when said consoles release?

You are delusional.

Notice it's rendering nothing in the background.

Dreamcast did the same with Shenmue face demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE2gPFEXIvA
lol, that's just a small section, there's an entire city area behind her.

ledman

Maybe because all next-gen threads lately are just PC gamers talking how mid-end PCs today are most powerful than any next-gen consoles will ever be and things like that, when a lot of people really want to see is how next-gen consoles compare to the current-gen consoles?
As a PC gamer I know that a console will never reach the level of a high-end PC and most console player already know it, so why lower even more the already low expectations they have?

Proelite

I'm going over the article again and thinking, what counts as a quantum leap? Like, wouldn't going from the 360's GPU to say a GPU based off a HD Radeon 5000 series be a quantum leap? It would be capable of A LOT more than the Xenon. Or how about from the CPU of the 360 to say a Power6 based quad core. Still would be a hell of a lot better than what the 360 currently uses. And how about 2 GBs of GDDR5? That would still be way over the 512MBs of GDDR3 in the 360. So what counts as a quantum leap?

8 core intel,
8 GB of system ram
dual gpu

obviously if every individual key tech rumors are to be believed.

I still think the PS4 is going to come out a year later with the leap that we're all waiting for. 2014 is when the new microprocessor techs, 3d transistors, stacked memory, etc really gets kicked off.

What I can tell you is that with a 2004's PC I played most of this gen's early multiplatform games (Oblivion, Gears of War, etc) better on PC than on console.
You on the other hand are trying to make your point with games I couldn't try on PC even today, cause it's the only trick you have to not be proven wrong.

I don't believe you.

My point is that a 1:1 comparison between consoles and PCs makes no sense.

...that barely any PC gamers will own, making it a disingenuous point. Not sure why this is a hard concept to grasp. Just look at the Steam users' PC specs stats Valve releases.
I never said anything different.

Does it help that I agree with both of your points, but still find it an asinine assertion?

I'm arguing that calling any console a powerhouse in this era is as asinine as calling WiiU a powerhouse. Just because it's truly the most powerful console released yet means nothing. It definitely doesn't mean it's powerful.

Especially when you look at all hardware for context.

Proelite

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

Is this pre-rendered in engine? If it's real-time, then it's impressive. Otherwise, not really.

Top Bottom