• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy : Next-Gen consoles are a quantum leap

Mr. RHC

bKBYD.jpg

I'm ready for the next-gen!

KageMaru

I'm mean the Wii U from the PS3/360 isn't a SD to HD jump like the Xbox and Xbox 360, we already know the Wii U can use DX10 and possibly DX11 from more improved dev kits, the Wii U's ram is 3-4x more than the Xbox 360's ram, the Wii U is using a Radeon HD GPU rumored to be Radeon E6760.

From reliable sources on NeoGAF the WiiU/PS4/720 uses similar architecture.

There is more to the design of a console than the API the GPU is designed around. How many ROP units does it have? How many transistors are packed into the hardware? How much of the memory is used by the OS? What type of memory is used and what kind of bandwidth are we looking at here? What generation is the tessellation unit? These, and more, are all questions you need to find out in order to really grasp how the system stacks up. IMO judging by the size of the console alone, it's not going to be the leap over the PS360 that you think it is. There will likely be improvements to some buffers, better textures, and possibly an extra effect or two thrown in. However the system could be severely bottlenecked in many ways to accommodate their design goals.

Also, care to post this reliable source who says the Wii-U/PS4/720 use similar architecture? Context is key with comments like that.

Yeah but that's the same for the PS4 and Xbox 720 as well.

The Zelda and Bird tech demo.

No, the same cannot be said for the PS4 or 720. You're going to have to explain your point there instead of making such a blank statement.

Also I didn't see anything in the Zelda or Bird tech demo that hasn't been done already on the PS360.

No idea why anyone is excited to hear this.

Quanta is the absolute minimum amount of any physical entity.

A quantum leap forward is pretty discouraging. Hope they're just referring to the Wii U.

Edit: Beaten like a red headed step child

test_account

XP-39C²

A quantum leap forward is pretty discouraging. Hope they're just referring to the Wii U.
Well, technically a quantum isnt defined to any fixed amount, that is true. But a quantum leap is usually used when there is a large step forward.

Well they are talking about next-gen consoles so I don't know how much further the PS3 and 360 can be pushed. I guess the new slim models might get a tiny boost from die shrinks or some such.

Well, technically a quantum isnt defined to any fixed amount, that is true. But a quantum leap is usually used when there is a large step forward.

Hey, stop ruining other people's fun ;).

Kydd BlaZe

Edit: Beaten like a red headed step child

ITT: Everybody plays dumb like they don't know what Remedy means when they say Quantum Leap.

BlackJace

Awesome news. Bring it on. I don't mind paying $599+ and $80+ games. Not joking. I want the top secret tessellated toad level stuff in all games.

People with this mindset cannot sustain the industry alone. It's almost kind of wrong saying this in light of many countries in shitty economic times. The fact that you would allow devs and publishers to screw you over with those INSANE prices is incomprehensible. I don't know how much money you make, but saying you would pay those prices for games is ridiculous. People shouldn't even be paying 60.

I almost feel you are trolling. Seriously GAF, who would pay $80+ for games?

I honestly do think we'll see games on the Wii-U that exceed current gen offerings, but I don't believe the jump will be that large at all.

I can agree with this.

But the Wii U Speculation Thread Team told us 720 and PS4 wouldn't be that big of a leap. Who to believe?

I know I've said that but I typically make claims based on sane options, and for whatever reason the video game industry seems to be the one where sanity is in shortest supply.

Awesome news. Bring it on. I don't mind paying $599+ and $80+ games. Not joking. I want the top secret tessellated toad level stuff in all games.

I would go for this too.

I have often sort of wished for a modern day neo geo equivalent. I would gladly play $80 or even $100 for best of the best games. Neo Geo style (except less since Neo Geo games were 200)

The fact is the economics dictate mass market or no market, but on a theoretical level I would buy a modern day Neo Geo.

StuBurns

Banned
Absolutely I would. Especially if the publishers keep pairing down and reducing the total number of releases a year.

If there was only one major release a month, I'd pay $100 for a game, no question.

But the Wii U Speculation Thread Team told us 720 and PS4 wouldn't be that big of a leap. Who to believe?
Generally I just laugh because you could build a PC much more powerful than the PS4 last year.

Talking about purely theoretical capability. By the time it comes out powerhouse PC's will be so much more powerful as to be comical. First gen that happens as well.

BlackJace

Absolutely I would. Especially if the publishers keep pairing down and reducing the total number of releases a year.

If there was only one major release a month, I'd pay $100 for a game, no question.

Keep on living in that bubble. Watch gaming slowly die because you want to see better textures, and other shit. It's like you're ignoring the average consumer who doesn't have money to blow on the 60 dollar games NOW. Let alone 1 fucking hundred.

It's kind of sad really.

UrbanRats

100$? Maybe for some huge game i'm waiting for like GTAV.
100€ though? Not in a million years.

To be fair the last time i paid 60€ for a game, was several years ago.

hyduK

Banned

For the good ones I would. The problem is everyone seems to think their games are worth $60 right now. Sorry, they're not. 70% of games aren't even worth the disc they're printed on.

Keep on living in that bubble. Watch gaming slowly die because you want to see better textures, and other shit.

It's kind of sad really.

It's going to happen anyway. Games don't sell well enough to cover costs now aside from a lucky few. Those lucky few are expected to offset the losses by every other game. Soon enough those lucky few won't be able to cover their own costs.

Pixel_boy

Banned
Do we really want a boring gen like this? With two twins fighting over who got the best looking ports.

They is more to a game then just how it looks, it's not a out right win. Look at 3DS and Vita and PS1 and N64.

It's games that every one want will next gen. They is more to game design then looking nice and being more real.

I know some thing it's a good thing to have ps360 game but it not a good thing for keeping devs on they toes

Hoo-doo

Banned
Generally I just laugh because you could build a PC much more powerful than the PS4 last year.

Talking about purely theoretical capability. By the time it comes out powerhouse PC's will be so much more powerful as to be comical. First gen that happens as well.

I wish people would stop endlessly bringing up PC's in console threads. It's getting real old, real fast.

I am typing this on my gaming PC, by the way.
Some people just want a livingroom experience that is tightly connected to their friends, plays all their media, is extremely easy to use, uses a controller, offers local co-op and has all of the console exclusive games. And it would also be nice if it packed some nice hardware so devs can make their games really shine.

Get over it.

Do we really want a boring gen like this? With two twins fighting over who got the best looking ports.

They is more to a game then just how it looks, it's not a out right win. Look at 3DS and Vita and PS1 and N64.

It's games that every one want will next gen. They is more to game design then looking nice and being more real.

Well, for the next year we get to see triplets fight over who gets the best looking ports, since waggle is dead in AAA gaming.

hyduK

Banned

The only reason the argument boiled down to that is because Wii was a barren wasteland of software for the majority of the gen, and 360/PS3 had very few exclusives (their successors will even have less).

Majority of the good games can be found on either PS3/360, so there's not much room in the 'console war' to argue about which system has better games...just the better version of said games.

I wish people would stop endlessly bringing up PC's in console threads. It's getting real old, real fast.

I am typing this on my gaming PC, by the way.
Some people just want a livingroom experience that is tightly connected to their friends, plays all their media, is extremely easy to use, uses a controller, offers local co-op and has all of the console exclusive games.

Get over it.

I'm not a PC gamer generally.

I just find it funny that people are worrying about hardware power of consoles in an era they can't compete with PC's. The only way a console will be on even ground with cutting edge PC's in this era?

By being a PC.

UrbanRats

Why would i even want a next gen if there weren't going to be a power leap? Also if you want small quirky games, this gen had a TON of them with XBLA, PSN, Steam and such.

tkscz

!!! Big spender over here. I would never pay more than $70 for a game. Yeah, I see that's where gaming is headed though. Next gen sounds too expensive, I think I'm going straight PC.

BlackJace

It's going to happen anyway. Games don't sell well enough to cover costs now aside from a lucky few. Those lucky few are expected to offset the losses by every other game. Soon enough those lucky few won't be able to cover their own costs.

According to some, they are willing to get gouged and alienate an enormous part of the audience that buys games. All for better graphics and hardware. I'd go as far as calling elitist, but I don't want to start something else.

Why would i even want a next gen if there weren't going to be a power leap? Also if you want small quirky games, this gen had a TON of them with XBLA, PSN, Steam and such.

Because there will come a point where it can't be maintained. Expectations of "next-gen" leaps are already far exceeding the capability of tech. Not to say the tech hasn't advanced well beyond, just saying that consoles have too small of a TDP to realistically keep up.

nasos_333

Leap in fun and gameplay right? ... right?

I can see those taking a leap from the tallest mountain TBH, considering even more games will go the casual linear short cinematic experience way

Of course i dont loose hope, games like Dark Souls will still come and will look glorious too

Hoo-doo

Banned

I just find it funny that people are worrying about hardware power of consoles in an era they can't compete with PC's. The only way a console will be on even ground with cutting edge PC's in this era?

By being a PC.

No-one is denying this. But people aren't allowed to care about what hardware they are purchasing, unless it's extremely high-end and sitting in a black tower underneath a desk? Come the fuck on.

Just stop shitting on people from on top of your high horse, acting like the PC is the end-all-be-all of videogaming.
In graphics, it currently is, but for a lot of other things, naaaaaah.

UrbanRats

According to some, they are willing to get gouged and alienate an enormous part of the audience that buys games. All for better graphics and hardware. I'd go as far as calling elitist, but I don't want to start something else.

Some people are willing to play less games with a higher price, for better production values, what's the big deal? A lot of people do not play that many games a year to begin with, with all the shit there is to do (entertainment-wise) nowadays.. so the few they play can be as good as possible with an higher price.

Because there will come a point where it can't be maintained. Expectations of "next-gen" leaps are already far exceeding the capability of tech. Not to say the tech hasn't advanced well beyond, just saying that consoles have too small of a TDP to realistically keep up.
Yeah but that still doesn't answer my question: Why would i want to buy another piece of HW that doesn't improve over my Ps360? Why wouldn't i just stay with those two and call it a day?

Eideka

Banned
No-one is denying this. But people aren't allowed to care about what hardware they are purchasing, unless it's extremely high-end and sitting in a black tower underneath a desk? Come the fuck on.

Just stop shitting on people from on top of your high horse, acting like the PC is the end-all-be-all of videogaming.

You are getting strangely defensive for nothing dude. Chill out, no one has denied consoles have their advantages as well. :)

I wonder where the people are that said that the next gen consoles won't be powerful at all and that they all will go the wii way/cheap way

tkscz

I can't agree with that. PC games can be just as good, if not better than console games. It all depends on the games.

I wonder where the people are that said that the next gen consoles won't be powerful at all and that they all will go the wii way/cheap way

I don't think anyone ever said that. Just that next gen won't be as powerful as everyone here thinks it will.

nasos_333

By being a PC.

Sure, but i care for consoles exclusives mostly, so PC just wont do

On the other hand if the console i buy is strong enough to display games i want from PC like Witcher 2 was on 360, then i will be able to spend just the 300-400$ for gaming hardware for the next 6-8 years, like i did with xbox360

Frankly the last thing i care about is consoles beeing vastly more powerfull than PC, any console gamer knows that is impossible anyway, i doubt people that prefer consoles do it because of harwdare specs that beat PC

Hoo-doo

Banned
You are getting strangely defensive for nothing dude. Chill out, no one has denied consoles have their advantages as well. :)

I'm sorry if I came across a little bitter.

But lately it seems to be happening a lot though, and it's just derailing threads over and over.

def sim

I like how the first 20 or so posters here were exposed for not knowing the casual usage of quantum leap and not reading the wiki link they kept quoting.

Durante

By being a PC.
Well, I am a PC gamer. And I'm "worried about the hardware power of consoles" because if they all went the Wii U route multiplatform games would be stuck at a 2008 power level for the next 6 years. I'd rather be stuck at 2011.

StuBurns

Banned
Keep on living in that bubble. Watch gaming slowly die because you want to see better textures, and other shit. It's like you're ignoring the average consumer who doesn't have money to blow on the 60 dollar games NOW. Let alone 1 fucking hundred.

It's kind of sad really.
Not really, game sales haven't decreased with price hikes. CoD is selling twenty million copies every year like clockwork. Seemingly, as many people can afford to game now as ever.

Unlike much of GAF, I actually do think money makes games better, I do think games are better now than ever, I think a game being pretty is nice, and I have no issue with publishers making less games, but making each release higher profile.

By being a PC.

There's always that small period after a new console launch when consoles are turning out better looking games then what you get on PC.

I still remember being absolutely baffled about Tekken Tag Tournament and FFX, or for this gen, PGR.

How are you getting irritated at me for saying the truth?

I'm all for buying consoles. They are what I do the vast majority of my gaming on.

But I don't really care what kind of power they pack, because it's a drop in the bucket of what is possible.

This is the crux of my argument. Console gamers look foolish drooling over tech. A generation before I could understand. Consoles still had a significantly smaller TDP than a PC, but most parts were made to work under moderate constraints. But now?

The highest end of PC hardware would not fit within the wattage limitations or case size of a console.

Acting like you just bought a powerhouse PS4 next year holds about as much weight as buying a "powerhouse" WiiU this year. Both are the most powerful consoles released to date. Neither has anywhere close to the capability of a gaming PC made last year.

Top Bottom