• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

DieH@rd

Banned
You can leave Direct Connect turned on if you want to have that kind of connection in your home. At your work, Vita will after few seconds automatically recognize that there is no PS4 in your local WiFi range and then it will switch to Internet connection mode.

And static IP is not needed, except for some rare cases when routers are really problematic. Sony is only recommending turning on UPNP, and then opening of ports if that is not helping.

Frazley

Airport Extreme/Express/TC Users
I finally cracked the secret at my house. I have an AirPort Extreme with airport expresses hard wired in to extend the wifi signal. I could never get internet remote play to work, until I got an N600 and put it in between my 2Wire ATT router/modem and my airport. The router is handling the DHCP and the airport handles the wifi network. This has also increased my network speeds. The problem seems to be that the airport doesn't support UPNP.

With this everything seems to be working great. PS3 Remote Start keeps turning itself off (really doesn't matter to me, unless people have a solution on that) due to the PS3 pinging, but I have successfully played Outlast, Tomb Raider, and Lego Movie over the internet.

JCizzle

As for the router quality, it's top notch! One dead zone area in my house where devices would constantly drop signal are now lightning quick with no issues!

NOW ONTO THE EVEN BETTER NEWS...OH HELL YEAH! I am so happy right now. Brought the vita to work, and bam! Remote play works! I have AC4 in, gonna fire it up to try game play in a minute but the PS4 home screen is fast and responsive with no lag!

The crazy part is I didn't touch a single setting on the nighthawk router. My PS4 is wirelessly connected and is NOT set up with a static IP. I have my PS4 direct connect turned off , I obviously have it paired with my vita, I have auto login turned on, and I have enable to start up from sleep mode. I am a very happy camper right now!

EDIT: it's worth noting I hit connect remote play and it got to the checking the Internet stage then times out. So tried it a second time and it worked... Probably takes a minute to turn the PS4 on over the Internet. Second point to notice is this nighthawk router defaults to enable UPNP. But like I said I didn't configure a single router setting or put my PS4 into a static IP.

Hmm this sounds great. I get timeouts and lag spikes playing from 10ft away in a 1 bedroom apartment. Sounds like this beast may fix that.

Only problem I may run into is that my internet runs through a modem/router combo Comcast device, so I wonder if that's introducing lag or port issues if I run this router out of an ethernet port from that piece of shit (i.e data needs to pass through two routers...)

Hmm this sounds great. I get timeouts and lag spikes playing from 10ft away in a 1 bedroom apartment. Sounds like this beast may fix that.

Only problem I may run into is that my internet runs through a modem/router combo Comcast device, so I wonder if that's introducing lag or port issues if I run this router out of an ethernet port from that piece of shit (i.e data needs to pass through two routers...)

You can have Comcast set your gateway in bridge mode so it will shut off all of the routing functions and have it act as only a modem.

ABeezy13

Neo Member

I would also get some lag and time outs prior to this router, and being on the same network. Now I played for about 5 minutes today and no choppiness nothing... And I was at sea in AC4 with a lot going on. Like I said I'm about 30 minutes from home, aprox 17 miles.

If you google "PS4 remote play with nighthawk router" you'll get several hits and it looks like everyone with this router didn't have to config anything on the router. I must say I'm extremely happy with it in the meer hours I've had it.

This router is well worth the price tag!! Let me ask you this... Comcast supplied you the modem/router combo? You were forced into using that? I have the triple play package - phone/Internet/television and according to the comcast tech only one modem was made to accommodate this. It's aris brand... Not sure if it has routing capabilities but I didn't touch a thing with it. If you can switch to that that would/should work. If not I'd say bridge your modem/router so that the nighthawk would take over all router functions.

JCizzle

You can have Comcast set your gateway in bridge mode so it will shut off all of the routing functions and have it act as only a modem.

Will definitely look into that.

I would also get some lag and time outs prior to this router, and being on the same network. Now I played for about 5 minutes today and no choppiness nothing... And I was at sea in AC4 with a lot going on. Like I said I'm about 30 minutes from home, aprox 17 miles.

If you google "PS4 remote play with nighthawk router" you'll get several hits and it looks like everyone with this router didn't have to config anything on the router. I must say I'm extremely happy with it in the meer hours I've had it.

This router is well worth the price tag!! Let me ask you this... Comcast supplied you the modem/router combo? You were forced into using that? I have the triple play package - phone/Internet/television and according to the comcast tech only one modem was made to accommodate this. It's aris brand... Not sure if it has routing capabilities but I didn't touch a thing with it. If you can switch to that that would/should work. If not I'd say bridge your modem/router so that the nighthawk would take over all router functions.

Well, it's the only modem that actually works that they've given me. I used to rent a stand alone modem, but it would drop connection every few hours (I'd watch the lights drop on the actual modem to confirm it wasn't the router) and the same thing happened to each modem I used from them until they gave me this combo one. I hate them with a passion, their support is horrible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope Sony address system updates. Doesn't work with remoteplay at all. Not the end of the world if you are near your PS4 to manually update with the DS4, but trickier if you are out of the house

Frazley

I hope Sony address system updates. Doesn't work with remoteplay at all. Not the end of the world if you are near your PS4 to manually update with the DS4, but trickier if you are out of the house

I agree, I got kicked out of internet remote play due to the pending update.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
So this update... Is it screwing up remote play for everyone? After just reporting that my remote play over the Internet worked yesterday it's now not working. Talk about buzz kill...

Nevermind I am good... see post 1720 lol

f@luS

More than a member.
You can leave Direct Connect turned on if you want to have that kind of connection in your home. At your work, Vita will after few seconds automatically recognize that there is no PS4 in your local WiFi range and then it will switch to Internet connection mode.

And static IP is not needed, except for some rare cases when routers are really problematic. Sony is only recommending turning on UPNP, and then opening of ports if that is not helping.

For me direct connect is sluggish and more than 5m away a lot If artefact. Through router even at home its perfect (as far as it can be. Still far from wiiu. Weirdly 3D games are fine but strider with fast moving caméra even with best connection show some pixel )

ABeezy13

Neo Member
Nevermind.

My remote play works again. Not sure what was causing that minor hiccup. But it infact works still like a charm!!!

Also I just tested it out via AT&T mobile hotspot and it works great as well. I am happy again!

Bailers

Has anyone found a solution for AT&T Uverse people? My understanding is that the settings on the 2Wire gateway are blocking the remote play. I've set all the ports needed on my Netgear router ( PS4 connected to Netgear connected to 2wire. I use the Netgear as my main router).

I'd like to set the 2Wire as a pass through to my wireless router, but from what I've seen that's not an option. Any ideas?

Has anyone found a solution for AT&T Uverse people? My understanding is that the settings on the 2Wire gateway are blocking the remote play. I've set all the ports needed on my Netgear router ( PS4 connected to Netgear connected to 2wire. I use the Netgear as my main router).

I'd like to set the 2Wire as a pass through to my wireless router, but from what I've seen that's not an option. Any ideas?

Not sure if this applies to you but these may help?

http://techchannel.radioshack.com/put-twowire-att-dsl-modem-bridge-mode-2404.html

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15835

Or you could call up AT&T support and ask for instructions on how to put the router into bridge mode. That would likely take quite a lot of waiting on the phone though :(

ABeezy13

Neo Member

I had AT&T and the 2wire as well. Had no luck at all over the Internet. Literally spent since around Christmas to just less then a week ago trying all different things. Nothing worked. I had my own personal router too.

I switched to Comcast last weekend and got a top notch router. No issues now and didn't have to port forward or change any settings. AT&T uses DSL which doesn't help the matter. Like stated above I think your only option may be the bridge mode which I didn't try. During my 2 months of hell trying to get it to work I haven't heard to many success stories from people using AT&T

f@luS

More than a member.
Do you have the same perf with all games ? It looks like 60fps games tend to be worst than 30 for me ... Strider through remote play isnt gloriole ... More pixel with fast scrolling than many games and framerate doesnt seems amazing. Just tried ac4 straight after its much better ...
And feels like IQ is worst when i play online (bf4 /kz). Am i only ONE ?
Overall i dont think If its possible to have a pixel Free image ? My best iq is assassin creed 4.... Slowest caméra game i have also .... Almost no pixel beside moving really fast

Do you have the same perf with all games ? It looks like 60fps games tend to be worst than 30 for me ... Strider through remote play isnt gloriole ... More pixel with fast scrolling than many games and framerate doesnt seems amazing. Just tried ac4 straight after its much better ...
And feels like IQ is worst when i play online (bf4 /kz). Am i only ONE ?
Overall i dont think If its possible to have a pixel Free image ? My best iq is assassin creed 4.... Slowest caméra game i have also .... Almost no pixel beside moving really fast

How do you have the PS4 connected and how are you connecting for RP?

I.E. Is your PS4 connected wirelessly or wired?

Are you direct connecting to the PS4 or connecting via your router?

f@luS

More than a member.
How do you have the PS4 connected and how are you connecting for RP?

I.E. Is your PS4 connected wirelessly or wired?

Are you direct connecting to the PS4 or connecting via your router?
Ps4 is wired. I dont use direct connection its bad for me. Works only in front of the ps4
I can actually Check pressing 2sec the ps button on vita (menu with shortcut for plane/wifi/Bt on off) it has wireless level on iper left corner. With direct connect in front of the ps4 i have 3/3. In my kitchen (10m behind ) 2/3. In my bedroom 1/3 with some artifact. Going with routeur i have 3/3 or 2/3 in all home.

I just tried killzone. Solo is amazing. I would say 8/10 iq (10/10 beeing on ps4-Tv) almost no compression and lag less. Better even with 30fps lock (so maybe native 30fps game are better on remote play ?). But again MP would be like 6/10. With all stuff Going on i can see more compression. No lag. Just pixels here ans there some Times (totally playable its not a pixel mess at all ... But far from SP)

Ps4 is wired. I dont use direct connection its bad for me. Works only in front of the ps4
I can actually Check pressing 2sec the ps button on vita (menu with shortcut for plane/wifi/Bt on off) it has wireless level on iper left corner. With direct connect in front of the ps4 i have 3/3. In my kitchen (10m behind ) 2/3. In my bedroom 1/3 with some artifact. Going with routeur i have 3/3 or 2/3 in all home.

I just tried killzone. Solo is amazing. I would say 8/10 iq (10/10 beeing on ps4-Tv) almost no compression and lag less. Better even with 30fps lock (so maybe native 30fps game are better on remote play ?). But again MP would be like 6/10. With all stuff Going on i can see more compression. No lag. Just pixels here ans there some Times (totally playable its not a pixel mess at all ... But far from SP)

I can image MP having a detrimental impact on the stream for RP although to be honest from other people's experience with it, I haven't heard many instances where people have worse image quality while playing MP so it could be something else entirely.

Bailers

I had AT&T and the 2wire as well. Had no luck at all over the Internet. Literally spent since around Christmas to just less then a week ago trying all different things. Nothing worked. I had my own personal router too.

I switched to Comcast last weekend and got a top notch router. No issues now and didn't have to port forward or change any settings. AT&T uses DSL which doesn't help the matter. Like stated above I think your only option may be the bridge mode which I didn't try. During my 2 months of hell trying to get it to work I haven't heard to many success stories from people using AT&T

I'll be trying this over the weekend. If I don't break my internet, I'll post the results back up here for others that are on Uverse.

I really don't want to switch to Time Warner, but I might need to.

how does this work for online shooters if you are connecting to your ps4 remotely from a different network? i've been spending a lot of time at my gf's place and would like to be able to play bf4 multi-player while i'm there. i'm considering picking up a vita to do so, but i'm worried the lag will be too much.

Akauser

Banned
how does this work for online shooters if you are connecting to your ps4 remotely from a different network? i've been spending a lot of time at my gf's place and would like to be able to play bf4 multi-player while i'm there. i'm considering picking up a vita to do so, but i'm worried the lag will be too much.

I'm a huge advocate for the Vita's Remote Play function but if playing Multiplayer through the Internet via Remote Play is the only reason for wanting one then don't. You will be disappointed. Because of the control mechanism playing online through the Vita can be very tricky especially so in competitive multiplayer. The fact that the stream is lower qaulity and capped to 30 fps makes playing BF4 especially very difficult. Its hard to make out distance targets and the Vitas Analogs are far too difficult to handle with speed and precision. The other problem is lag. When playing through an Internet Connection there is always some issue of lag. For most games it can be fine but for twitch shooters it can be extremely frustrating to the point where the game is unplayable. Button mapping is an issue too Battlefield does the worst job for controls as they have Sprint and Grenade mapped to the back touchpad both on one sides top and bottom half. Without the right finger precision you can throw a grenade instead of sprint. Call of Duty fares a lot better as they split the rear touchpad to sprint and add buttons to the front screen for Grenades and Stun Grenades and anywhere else on the front screen for Melee. Its a much better system with at least some thought put into it.

Vita for Remote Play only really makes sense if you enjoy playing any and all different types of games. Its great as an additive experience allowing to make some progress while away or spending the time to go on collection runs like treasure chests in AC and the sort.

Personally I have used Remote Play to play everything but competitive play or story play. I would save the AC main missions for home and do assassins contracts and such at work. I played the BF4 campaign at work but play Multiplayer at home.
This is probably the best use and if this is something that interests anyone shiuld be the main reason to buy Vita solely for Remote Play.

Here's my setup:

- PS4 in basement room
- Vita (remote play) often in same basement room, or quite close by
- Modem/router 2 storeys up on top floor of house
- Wireless range extender directly next to PS4; generally gives 15mbps

Should I be doing a direct connection or use wifi?

DieH@rd

Banned
Here's my setup:

- PS4 in basement room

Nobody can tell you that for sure. See recommendations in the OP, test games, and see what works for you best.

Here's my setup:

- PS4 in basement room

It sounds to me like your PS4 is connecting to your network wirelessly via your wireless extender. That's not really a good means of connection for something like RP if you had wanted to try connecting with your router.

Unless you change your setup direct connection is almost certainly the best option for you. Make sure your PS4 isn't doing anything else Internet related when your using RP as it would severely affect the signal

I could make some suggestions for changing your network to try and improve RP but nothing's guaranteed

BigDug13

Here's my setup:

- PS4 in basement room

The PS4 seems to struggle with using its wifi for Internet while simultaneously using it for remote play for me. Things improved incredibly when I bought a power line Ethernet adapter setup and physically connected the PS4 to it. No cable running required and it substantially improved my remote play quality by separating out the Internet connection side to a physical connection. Then direct connect will have the PS4 wifi fully focused on the Vita.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
Played AC4 remote play yesterday pretty much all day... Had a lazy day at the gf's place. Aprox 10.5 miles away and worked like a charm. Couple minor hiccups where it would lag for under 10 seconds but that's it. Such a beautiful thing, so happy this is working for me finally. Technology just amazes me!

Played AC4 remote play yesterday pretty much all day... Had a lazy day at the gf's place. Aprox 10.5 miles away and worked like a charm. Couple minor hiccups where it would lag for under 10 seconds but that's it. Such a beautiful thing, so happy this is working for me finally. Technology just amazes me!

Glad to hear it ABeezy :)

Akauser

Banned
Even when set up correctly I am having issues with Multiplayer over the internet. Screen tearing and severe lag. However playing the FF14 beta, you know that online only MMO game, it works just fine. This makes me wonder is it a network issue or how a game runs off the internet. I am upgrading soon to 120 down 12 up so will see if thats a determining factor

I am very tempted... Or should I wait for the 2k in Europe.... :-/

TJoiZuh.png

This has probably been answered before but do you think we'll get a patch so I can party chat during remote play?

And I mean a party form the ps4 obviously.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
Glad to hear it ABeezy :)

Thanks!!!! :)

I am finding myself becoming all the more lazy to even turn on the tv and PS4... been booting up the Vita for some quick AC4 sessions!

I am usually at my girlfriends place over the weekend and all that needs to be said is women and their tv shows... Vita is going to come in quite handy! And to think, she bought it for me for Christmas! hah!

So far solely only used the Vita for RP. I don't even have a memory card. Maybe someday I will try out some Vita games but I pretty much exclusively wanted it for RP, if it works great (which mine does knock on wood) then I don't see much of a need for true Vita gaming!

Thanks!!!! :)

I am finding myself becoming all the more lazy to even turn on the tv and PS4... been booting up the Vita for some quick AC4 sessions!

I am usually at my girlfriends place over the weekend and all that needs to be said is women and their tv shows... Vita is going to come in quite handy! And to think, she bought it for me for Christmas! hah!

So far solely only used the Vita for RP. I don't even have a memory card. Maybe someday I will try out some Vita games but I pretty much exclusively wanted it for RP, if it works great (which mine does knock on wood) then I don't see much of a need for true Vita gaming!

lol Remote Play justified? I'm not sure that was Sony's hopes and dreams when they thought on improving the feature although it did sell a Vita haha

Has there been any official word on dualshock 4 support for remote play? That world be so killer. I cannot really get into killzone shadowfall with the vita controller.

ABeezy13

Neo Member
lol Remote Play justified? I'm not sure that was Sony's hopes and dreams when they thought on improving the feature although it did sell a Vita haha

Yes they made an easy $200 so I can feed my PS4 gaming addiction away from home. Lol.

When I sit back and think it over its like wow... I spent an extra $200 JUST to play PS4 away from home, kind of depressing. But its just so much awesome that it'll pay off in the long wrong.

I got the Vita 1000 or OLED or whatever everyone calls it... just wondering if I should of held of for the Vita Slim? 50-50 split on everything I read and here!

Did anyone else purchase a Vita only for Remote Play? Or am I one of the few crazy ones?

help please, here's my setup, my router is on my bedroom, PS4 is on entertainment room connected wired with powerline. using remote play from my bedroom, it work great except for the occasional moment where it lag badly for a few seconds before it stabilize again.

anything I can do to remove that occasional lag entirely? I thought I already have everything setup optimally. :(

I use modem router Linksys X3000 btw, don't know if that matter or not.

sono

help please, here's my setup, my router is on my bedroom, PS4 is on entertainment room connected wired with powerline. using remote play from my bedroom, it work great except for the occasional moment where it lag badly for a few seconds before it stabilize again.

anything I can do to remove that occasional lag entirely? I thought I already have everything setup optimally. :(

I use modem router Linksys X3000 btw, don't know if that matter or not.

Did you try disabling (or enabling if you have it disabled) direct Vita connection tick box on the PS4 remote play settings ?. For me disabling it improved it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is it not possible to use online features while using remote play? I'm using remote play right now but it won't let me sign in to PSN, view trophy info, friends, messages etc.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is it not possible to use online features while using remote play? I'm using remote play right now but it won't let me sign in to PSN, view trophy info, friends, messages etc.

Something is wrong at your end. Everything PS4 PSN-related should work fine with Remote Play, I use it almost every day and nothing is blocked.

Top Bottom