• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Assassin's Creed: Shadows to be revealed in June. Two Expansions planned

rm082e

Is this going to be another small game like Mirage, or back to the big games like Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla? I wasn't clear if Mirage was the new template for all AC games going forward, or just a one-off.

Is this going to be another small game like Mirage, or back to the big games like Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla? I wasn't clear if Mirage was the new template for all AC games going forward, or just a one-off.
It's more like Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla in scope. There was a rumor that either this or Hexe would be the "last" in that style.

Xtib81

New big game, like Origins was in 2017. Mirage was a smaller project to make us wait patiently.

Last edited:

Kurotri

It's more like Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla in scope. There was a rumor that either this or Hexe would be the "last" in that style.
IIRC that came from a guy called John Harker over at the reeee board, he's pretty reliable. Hexe is the one that will be a different style of AC game, whatever that means. It having a more occultic theme and being centered around witch hunts certainly make it intriguing.

Is this project red?

If they are gonna do combat, better revise the system from Valhalla. After rise of the nonin it's gonna be hard to go back to shallow chambara play.

phant0m

New big game, like Origins was in 2017. Mirage was a smaller project to make us wait patiently.
Funny enough, Mirage is the best game in the series since Syndicate (because it's so focused imo). I played all the others as well unvarying degrees, Valhalla was an awful slog.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

Ah, spring time. March/April. The traditional window for all Assassin's Creed leaks.

I seriously doubt there has ever been an AC leak that wasn't facilitated and planned by Ubi's marketing dept.

rm082e

I didn't care for AC until those bigger games. Loved Origins and Odyssey. I only recently started Valhalla. Haven't gotten far enough in to judge.

Kurotri

Ah, spring time. March/April. The traditional window for all Assassin's Creed leaks.

I seriously doubt there has ever been an AC leak that wasn't facilitated and planned by Ubi's marketing dept.
I remember some of the older ones, I think it was Black Flag that was leaked by some random guy that was apparently sitting behind a Ubi employee in a train/plane while he was working on some powerpoint presentations for it and he just told people everything he saw. Sounds pretty bizarre for sure. But everything turned out to be true.

Muffdraul

I remember some of the older ones, I think it was Black Flag that was leaked by some random guy that was apparently sitting behind a Ubi employee in a train/plane while he was working on some powerpoint presentations for it and he just told people everything he saw. Sounds pretty bizarre for sure. But everything turned out to be true.
That was Syndicate. Yes, the leaked info turned out to be accurate. I can't recall a single major AC leak that didn't turn out to be accurate. Closest thing would be that AC "Empire" was going to be "set in Egypt, Greece, and Rome," but it turned out to be AC Origins which was set in Egypt at a time when Greeks and Romans had imported their culture there.

For me a big clue is that Ubisoft joked about all of the AC leaks in Watch Dogs 2. If the leaks were legit (i.e. unwanted, embarrassing, and most of all ILLEGAL,) I really doubt Ubi's Business Affairs (Legal) dept. would be cool with them being talked/joked about in games. But if the leaks were engineered by Ubi, that's a different story.

A professional game designer just up and out of nowhere saying to a stranger sitting next to him "Hey, you like video games? Want to see something really neat?" and opening his laptop... sure, it's possible. But imo it sounds like something a not particularly imaginative 'viral marketing' monkey would come up with.

Last edited:
Ugh more Valhalla bloat.

I loved Mirage.
I honestly wouldn't mind Ubisoft bloat if the combat was actually good. All AC games have absolute shit hand to hand combat with limited depth. After playing Rise of the Ronin, Ubisoft just needs to learn to make an actually fun gameplay loop. It's annoying because from a technical perspective Ubisoft creates some of the best game worlds in the industry

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Codename Red will be the last of the fantasy/RPG formula introduced in Origins

That sucks i absolutely love origin formula, the old style really isn't for me. But atleast this one is made by odyssey team so high hopes for that.

Everything sounds great, but future of the franchise not so much.

The amount of Afrocentric historical revisionism going on today makes me question whether “Yasuke” even existed. The Jesuits probably had a slave with them, but I doubt any of the events claimed by the Jesuits were true in any way.

I’m tired of people who use the Jesuits as a legitimate source when the Jesuits were notorious for radically exaggerating their travels so that they could become bishops.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is sounding very good. A lot of details here. More gore than Valhalla, including decapitations, let's go.

Yasuke is not even a samurai. He was a retainer.

The amount of Afrocentric historical revisionism going on today makes me question whether “Yasuke” even existed. The Jesuits probably had a slave with them, but I doubt any of the events claimed by the Jesuits were true in any way.

I’m tired of people who use the Jesuits as a legitimate source when the Jesuits were notorious for radically exaggerating their travels so that they could become bishops.
He existed. He was essentially an errand boy and butler. He was never a samurai.

Find it rather insulting that the first game set in Japan, something people have been clamoring for since AC2 has you playing as someone who isn't even from Japan. Rather insulting, really.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The sooner these release the sooner we get that multiplayer Assassins Creed. Let's go! No delays please.

You really are excited for them to further ruin the franchise, aren't you? I can't tell if you are playing a bit or if you genuinely believe that GAAS is the best thing since the invention of sliced bread.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You really are excited for them to further ruin the franchise, aren't you? I can't tell if you are playing a bit or if you genuinely believe that GAAS is the best thing since the invention of sliced bread.

Why would one multiplayer game in a massive Assassins Creed factory quote "ruin the franchise"?

You judge each game based on it's own merit. Games that come before or after are irrelevant.

Kurotri

So Hex isn’t a full fledged game, but Codename Red is?
Both are fully fledged games. It's just that Red is closer to the last big AC games because it's an open world RPG, while Hexe actually seems to be a more linear with some open world-ish places to explore (think the new God of War games), also it's not an RPG but more action-adventure oriented like the very early games.

Don't worry. I am sure they will somehow have Yusuke be the one to teach the backwards, racist Japanese how to be proper! Given how shit and slacktivist the writing has been in the last few games.

It better not turn into a game about racial tensions. I’m sick of that focus in media in general lately, and that would be ridiculous in a game about ancient Japan.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I hope we can choose which character to play as freely. I would like to be the character who is actually Japanese in the game that is finally set in Japan.
If it's anything like Valhalla or Odyssey, I'm sure you can. There might be a few sections where you are forced to play as one for story related reasons like in Syndicate, but so far the AC games that let you choose the protagonist don't take away your choice much.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It better not turn into a game about racial tensions. I’m sick of that focus in media in general lately, and that would be ridiculous in a game about ancient Japan.

It is Ubisoft in the age of DEI and slacktivism. It 100% will. If not part of the "main story", it will certainly be a few sidequests.

GHound

I know people will say give it a chance but this game isn't going to stack up very well at all when compared to other open world games in a historic Japanese setting.

Top Bottom