• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVH

I don't understand the problematic with the power and tv connector.

By the way, surprised there are no reports about if or where the camera is in this device.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
With a resolution of 720p I have to wonder if Nintendo will actually bother to start using Anti Aliasing in their games on the NX.

If the Dock doesn't provide extra power to scale games up to 1080p than 720p resolution is fine but I'd the dock DOES provide extra power than I would have strongly preferred 540p instead because that would have upscaled to 1080p more nicely.

6.2 is kinda huge for a portable device it's reaching tablet territory.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Being 25 mm thick makes it possible to have a bigger batery and higher clocks on the chips. I like that. It's a gaming tablet, as someone said.

I still believe they will release an NX true console by the end of 2017.
Same library, just more powerful.

This. The lack of info on a home console is curious, and I think Happy Nintendo etc are way off, but I still think there's going to be multiple form factors.

Karu

The seperated mini controllers seem in so far weird to me, that the respective D-Pads are so close to the middle. Understabdable if you have the whole thing in mind , but as a controller in itself? Seems awkward.

With a resolution of 720p I have to wonder if Nintendo will actually bother to start using Anti Aliasing in their games on the NX.

If the Dock doesn't provide extra power to scale games up to 1080p than 720p resolution is fine but I'd the dock DOES provide extra power than I would have strongly preferred 540p instead because that would have upscaled to 1080p more nicely.

If the design above is correct there ain't no dock!

Filter

I just drew up this thing.

Just mashing together all the rumours:
detachable controllers, kickstand, 720p 6-inch screen, split d-pads etc.

I think that clam shell designs are pretty economical for space reasons, and in this case, you can fold the bottom of the device under itself to for the kickstand when the controllers have been removed.

442yt1th.pbt.png

Hmm, those controllers look to be very... unconventional when detached. I guess you could still support standard dual analog with one in each hand.

wrowa

That'd mean no dock, then? Because the device itself has a TV Out connector and you'd have to take the handheld out of the dock to swap the cartridge which seems rather stoopid.

Color me skeptical of this report.

It's possible the dev kit has an HDMI out in addition to the dock. Being able to connect the device to a monitor without needing another device makes testing easier, I assume.

Aww the way the controllers apparently connects seems less elegant than I hoped and also rules out portrait mode.

I'll take a wild guess and say that if the controllers have indeed connectors that you'll be able to push them inside of the controller when you detach it.

Rodin

It’s slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded, so 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached.
Wii U Gamepad dimensions

135mm (height) × 259mm (width) × 23mm (depth)

3DS XL dimensions

93.5mm (height) x 160mm (width) x 21.5mm (depth) (closed)

NX dev kit dimensions

92mm (Height) x 281mm (Width) x 25mm (Depth)

Edit: It's slightly wider than a Wii U Gamepad and slightly less in height compared to a 3DS XL. Thicker than both.
It's good that this is a prototype, because 28.1cm for the final unit would be just too much.

I don't understand the problematic with the power and tv connector.

By the way, surprised there are no reports about if or where the camera is in this device.

With 3D seemingly gone, I'd rather them cut costs on things no one ever used.

wazoo

well that's... quite some stuff. I've never heard of this website so I'm a bit surprised that they gathered so much info. I was expecting something else from Eurogamer or Kotaku or whatev

Most likely, all major info sites know this but NDA prevails. For a small website with no fear, leaks are possible.

ggx2ac

It all depends on what the dock does. I'm really not seeing what makes this a hybrid based on these leaks and rumours.

Because you're not thinking of what a hybrid means for a console/portable.

People see the obvious, "It's a home console that is portable" but forget that you can do local multiplayer at home with multiple controllers connected to the "portable" or the dock via Bluetooth, which can't be done on a 3DS.

maxcriden

Wii U Gamepad dimensions

3DS XL dimensions

NX dev kit dimensions

Edit: It's slightly wider than a Wii U Gamepad and slightly less in height compared to a 3DS XL. Thicker than both.

Thanks. I assume that the controllers are included in these dimensions? So if in tablet mode it would be smaller. And then, we also don't know if devkits will be representative of the final product.

Tratorn

It all depends on what the dock does. I'm really not seeing what makes this a hybrid based on these leaks and rumours.

From the beginning of the rumours that the controllers are detachable and that the mobile games from Nintendo will be playable on NX, I instantly thought this would be more like a smartphone/tablet (depending on the size) + HH hybrid than a HH / console.

Yes, it might have a TV-out but that doesn't make it a console, many mobile devices did that already. The only addition could be multiple controller-support (hopefully).

If the dock really doesn't do much, I wouldn't really call that a hh/console-hybrid either, even if Nintendo tries to market it as such to get the console crowd more interested.
But well, we'll see. We surely didn't see the whole picture yet anyways.

kadotsu

Banned
This is a horrible design for a Nintendo system. Don't get me wrong, it is great for the 20+ year old Nintendo fans that will only have to buy one System to get the next 4-7 years of Nintendo software and no region lock would be a plus but this will create so many problems for younger players.
Parts of the console will get lost, multiple predetermined breaking points, no cheap way for multiplayer and too complex in general.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
If the design above is correct there ain't no dock!
If that's truely the case than:

A.Nintendo has effectively dropped out of the Console race (if they don't release or announce a new console within the next year).

B.I'm totally OK with the 720p resolution than because I don't need a 1080p handheld killing the battery in the less than 3 hours of continuous play.

ggx2ac

Thanks. I assume that the controllers are included in these dimensions? So if in tablet mode it would be smaller. And then, we also don't know if devkits will be representative of the final product.

Updated that post. Posting it here too:

Wii U Gamepad dimensions

3DS XL dimensions

NX dev kit dimensions

NX dev kit dimensions (without controllers)

92mm (Height) x 205mm (Width) x 25mm (Depth)

720p on the big screen in 2017, that can't be right.
Praise the dock.

Perhaps the console takes advantage of its 720p screen to downclock and render at a lower resolution in portable mode, saving battery.

If there's a TV, there's probably a power outlet nearby. Plug it in, and NX works at full throttle delivering 900p upscaled to 1080p.

That's my guess, at least.

Oregano

Being 25 mm thick makes it possible to have a bigger batery and higher clocks on the chips. I like that. It's a gaming tablet, as someone said.

I joked about it being a gaming tablet long ago, never thought it would actually be the case.

... And with a case the size they describe they could easily have full clocked chips in there couldn't they?

It sounds pretty thick.

It's possible the dev kit has an HDMI out in addition to the dock. Being able to connect the device to a monitor without needing another device makes testing easier, I assume.

I'll take a wild guess and say that if the controllers have indeed connectors that you'll be able to push them inside of the controller when you detach it.

Maybe having a big protruding part would be weird if they are detachable separate controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom