• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystify

Connector seems to be able to connect to the dock AND to a Tv.

vnjtfzY.png

(Source: https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/770950059987001344)

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So have they made the big revelation that you'll be able to detach these controllers and plug them into android based phones?
No. I'm not an insider and don't have anything to base this on. Just an educated guess.

Kurt

Things i like to mention :

- i dont see any shoulder btn or scrollwheel
- If controls are detachable, we should get more control types with the system.
- If they are using advanced wiimotes, they could have recharged batteries

Connector seems to be able to connect to the dock AND to a Tv.

vnjtfzY.png

(Source: https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/770950059987001344)
If it connects to the dock, then the dock would have to connect to the tv, which implies the dock does something extra to the NX?

Things i like to mention :

- i dont see any shoulder btn or scrollwheel
- If controls are detachable, we should get more control types with the system.
- If they are using advanced wiimotes, they could have recharged batteries

How would you be able to play Smash or Mario Kart if it has less buttons that a Wii remote when the remotes are not attached and no shoulder buttons when they're attached? Something has to be missing.

Alienous

I don't really understand the detachable controllers.

Could it be that they just fold behind the device? That might help the NX be more portable.

jonno394

So have they made the big revelation that you'll be able to detach these controllers and plug them into android based phones?
No. I'm not an insider and don't have anything to base this on. Just an educated guess.

Plug them in using what? Reading this "leak" it seems there's a specific way they connect to the NX device, which android phones do not have.

KAL2006

Banned
This thing is too wide and thick for a child to hold. Holding something this wide is uncomfortable. They should have gone with clamshell or slide out design and had the controls below the screen.

ggx2ac

Wait, the dimensions of the device means I can brag now because I always kept stating that I speculated the device to be tablet-sized.

G.ZZZ

9 cm long (and 3cm wide) controllers aren't usable, especially with buttons so close to the analogs. The fact that there is a protrudence make me thinks, however, that maybe those are to be connected to something else.

Also that thickness is insane. That put its volume easily above pixel C territory, which means 7-8 W possible power draw. I'm also starting to think that the dock don't even exist at this point.

jonno394

If it connects to the dock, then the dock would have to connect to the tv, which implies the dock does do down thing extra to the NX?

I can't decipher your mistyped message but...

Scenario 1) Connect direct to your TV, games render at 720p. just a TV out

Scenario 2) Connect to Dock, connect dock to TV, games display at 1080p using the docks internal specs to increase visuals ets

Dock is an SCD sold separately that adds extra power?

That, or the dock is purely for convenience.

Enables the NX to be fully portable and self-sufficient, but you can get home and just drop it in the dock while keeping the dock connected to the TV. No need to go fetch the TV connector for your NX every time.

Plus it'll charge your NX too! That's two connectors you don't need to go fetch!

Damn, that´s wide as fuck. Almost 30 cm.

But like twice a day, there is a new thread on Gaf on some new/more detailed NX details.

Also, yeah, would not be suprised AT ALL if the dock is just a convenience thing. Would suck though.

This thing is too wide and thick for a child to hold. Holding something this wide is uncomfortable. They should have gone with clamshell or slide out design and had the controls below the screen.

Children feel comfortable with 7" and 10" tablets with no grips, and after 2011-2012 Wii U GamePad redesign, I can't imagine Nintendo not making NX without grips and/or rounded edges.

It'll be comfortable enough.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I don't really understand the detachable controllers.

Could it be that they just fold behind the device? That might help the NX be more portable.

My only theory about the detachable controls are that they'll somehow be usable on Android based phones. Otherwise, I'm with you. I don't understand the need to make them detachable.

Nintendo has talked about wanting to make a clean break from Wii/Wii U branding but honestly this seems like a Wii U upgraded game pad at this point.

Perhaps the console takes advantage of its 720p screen to downclock and render at a lower resolution in portable mode, saving battery.

If there's a TV, there's probably a power outlet nearby. Plug it in, and NX works at full throttle delivering 900p upscaled to 1080p.

That's my guess, at least.

Now this sounds more like a hybrid. There has to be some tangible advantages to plugging it into a TV beyond plugging it into a TV. Otherwise it just sounds like a portable system with TV-out, and that's been done.

Oregano

Übermatik;215512594 said:
I just realised how HUGE 281mm wide is. For comparison, here's me holding a ruler like a gamepad at the 28.1cm mark:

vLFptYal.png

Wow that's really, really wide. Wider than a 10 inch tablet isn't it?

I just realised how HUGE 281mm wide is. For comparison, here's me holding a ruler like a gamepad at the 28.1cm mark:

vLFptYal.png
You said millimeters and said the Gamepads measurement is centimeters. That's two different types of measurements. Sorry I may have misunderstood

Scenario 2) Connect to Dock, connect dock to TV, games display at 1080p using the docks internal specs to increase visuals ets

That's how I'm looking at it. Now THIS is a hybrid better for sure. Also, the dock could have some extra ports on it.

vLFptYal.png

But this is just a prototype/dev kit. The final unit might have different dimensions.

Wait, so what becomes the controller when you dock the thing? Both sides detach and then attach to something that would make it resemble a Pro controller?

I think the "TV Connector" is referring to the dock connector, I don't think there's anyway Nintendo would risk trying to fit some kind of HDMI/proprietary port on a handle if they're trying to keep bulk down (which sounds like it should be top priority).

Tratorn

But then the dock would be sold seperately. Because who would use Scenario 1 if everyone had the dock anyways?

chadskin

So I presume the 'Power' connector actually doubles as both power and TV Out once you plug it into the dock which presumably has an HDMI Out, then? As mentioned before, the extra TV Out at the top could just be for the prototype, didn't Sony do this on the PSP/Vita prototypes, too?

Still, do they honestly expect people to lift the handheld out of the dock just to swap a cartridge? That sounds dumb.

cireza

That's a dev kit. Probably bigger than the final product.

Given the lack of detailed info about the dock, maybe developers only got the base unit?

If that's the case, maybe some of the dock functionality (like the TV-out stuff) was included in the devkit. That would explain the devkit being so large and thick.

You said millimeters and said the Gamepads measurement is centimeters. That's two different types of measurements. Sorry I may have misunderstood

That's how I'm looking at it. Now THIS is a hybrid better for sure. Also, the dock could have some extra ports on it.

281mm & 28.1cm are the same thing.

Edit: As slow as the NX without the Dock.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Retail units are almost all the time smaller than the devkits. So these dimensions more likely won't end up as final dimensions for the retail NX.

But it tells us that NX is practically a gaming tablet which makes it very likely to run Tegra at nice clocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom