• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

dose

You cannot base these facts on devkits. They are almost always region free, and the sizes mean absolutely nothing (remember how big the original PS2/PS3 devkits were?). Nintendo's handheld devkits in the past have been circuitboards and larger devices that you can't use to gauge the size of the final thing.

So essentially we don't know a lot more other than what ports this thing currently has, and possible layout.

It's already confirmed by the same source that the TV out connects to the dock too. Also the developer who provided this info is surely a western one, so they would know about a hypothetical console dedicated to western market.
But the controllers are so small for multiplayer. It doesn't feel designed for a home console experience. It just feels like a handheld designed for some nice multiplayer benefit. The remotes have less buttons that a Wii remote.

Malakai

Ugh last time I checked I can't carry my PS4 around and play it as I walk down the street.

The PS4 is a home console. The 3DS is a portable console. Both are consoles. It is rather unfortunate that most people on gaming forums think that "console" only means home console....

wrowa

I really dislike the detachable controller design. I would rather a proper handheld with a 3DS or Vita like design that has it's dedicated controls and can be docked like a PSP Go for TV play with a separate controller.

I'm sure they'll offer a Pro Controller again.

seb_n

But the controllers are so small for multiplayer. It doesn't feel designed for a home console experience. It just feels like a handheld designed for some nice multiplayer benefit. The remotes have less buttons that a Wii remote.

We havent seen it yet.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I wouldn't assume that what's not drawn in that picture is missing, it's a drawing, not a photo.

Also the shape and size of the detachable controllers remains to be seen at the reveal.

Taker666

The device itself having TV out is pretty interesting.

What is the point of the dock then? Ability to use an external HDD?

That...and so you don't have to have a long cable running to your tv...and you have the convenience of a home for the device and something which will charge it automatically...and the battery won't run down if it's docked when playing on the tv.

I wouldn't be without the docks for the 3DS or Wii U controller. So much more convenient for storage and charging.

Shiggy

TV-out on the tablet is fitting perfectly with the idea of multiplayer on the go. You can play in the same way everywhere.

At home you put it in the dock, for convenience (and maybe additional benefits), you can play it as a tablet both SP and MP and you can go to a friend and plug it in his TV and bam, instant MP on the TV.

Then I have it wrong, I thought the early devkits were bigger for whatever reason.

Nintendo-Wii-U-Development-Kit-CAT-DEV-Version-2-DRC-DK1-Collectible-Very-Rare.jpg

Could be slightly larger maybe.

I wouldn't assume that what's not drawn in that picture is missing, it's a drawing, not a photo.

Also the shape and size of the detachable controllers remains to be seen at the reveal.
We havent seen it yet.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for sure because I can't see how you play Smash bros with 4 buttons and an analog stick lol. There's definitely buttons missing they left out.

trugs26

I don't understand the detachable controllers. What would the point be? You couldn't play games like Zelda BotW without it.

Menitta

The PS4 is a home console. The 3DS is a portable console. Both are consoles. It is rather unfortunate that most people on gaming forums think that "console" only means home console....

It's like the difference between a square and a rectangle. Not all rectangles are squares but all squares are rectangles.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Hm... At that thickness and screen size, we should probably all dial back out power and battery expectations a bit, especially since the final unit is likely smaller. I think that everyone should keep their expectations at ~250 GFLOPS max for now, with as low as 100 being possible, and battery life no better than 3DS XL.

This is just to be safe, BTW. Also, I think we can rule out the previous report of a fan since nobody else has mentioned that and even EG only heard it from one person.

Genio88

Come on what is Nintendo waiting? Since this console got already leaked they should just reveal it officially, that's what happened with 3DS too if I remember correctly, it was leaked before and right after Nintendo made a official reveal statement

The thing is going to be roughly the size of a Wii U Gamepad. What about that makes you think the controllers will be small? If you took the sides off a Wii U Gamepad, those controllers wouldn't be much smaller than Wii Remotes, but they'd be wider, more comfortable to hold.

To those complaining about supposedly no home console, If this isn't a hybrid but mostly a handheld, Nintendo aren't going to completely kill off home console side of things - they have Smash and Mario Kart as 4+ player experiences. Have faith.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand the detachable controllers. What would the point be? You couldn't play games like Zelda BotW without it.

Get your NX out of the backack in a park and play a bit of Spla2oon with a friend. Or at his house and plug it in the TV.

Speaking of, this guarantees split screen Spla2oon, right?

Mithos

I edited my post, maybe they can be attached to each other then it might feel ok to hold by both hands

Still sounds too small, I mean 9cm, that's like nun-chuck size, and that not big enough for BOTH analog/circlepads AND buttons if your going to hold it sideways as a NES-controller, I mean the Wiimote is 15cm, NES/SNES pads ~14-15cm.

I mean 9cm we are talking creditcard size here, NOT confortable to hold.

ggx2ac

Quoting OP:

This tells me the TV connector would have to be a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable that connects directly to the TV or the dock.

This doesn't tell us that there is a docked mode. (As in, that the performance of the NX will change when docked.)

I don't really understand the detachable controllers.

Could it be that they just fold behind the device? That might help the NX be more portable.

I think it might be just a case of the mock-ups not doing the design any favours. I'm not saying I'm convinced that the detachable controller design will work, I just want to see an actual NX Unit to get an understanding of it.

Dystify

32gb internal is nothing, even for a devkit

Compare it to other mobile devices such as your phone. Sure, games will take a lot of space, but SD cards are quite cheap nowadays. You can get 128 GB (that'll last a while) for around $35.

I'm sure they'll offer a Pro Controller again.

I'm sure they will. Unfortunately, to support the detachable controller model I fear they may have to keep the dimensions larger than a lot of people like for portability. I hope that isn't the case with the final product.

Fake and offensive word.....I must wonder what the point of the dock is if it has tv out for the system aside from holding it in place and giving it energy.

ggx2ac

I can see people have forgotten the Eurogamer rumour that the detachable controllers attach to a module to have a traditional style controller.

Z3M0G

A hand held with a tv out isn't a hybrid. It's a hand held with a tv out. There has to be a console version (even with same exact hardware) for the west at least.

If it docks and doubles as the role of a console, I would call that a hybrid.

Just like the PSPgo.

IMG_0508.jpg

Fair bit of stuff as leaked over the last week, reveal is on it's way methinks. Get the 3ds stuff out of the way tomorrow and i think we will get a reveal date pretty sharpish.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hm... At that thickness and screen size, we should probably all dial back out power and battery expectations a bit, especially since the final unit is likely smaller. I think that everyone should keep their expectations at ~250 GFLOPS max for now, with as low as 100 being possible, and battery life no better than 3DS XL.

Pixel C is 7 mm thick. Just saying. Plus there's plenty of space for a big enough battery.

It also has a metal casing and more than double the screen area.

And Tegra X1. Come on, at there dimensions you could even get active cooling if they want, but surely it's enough volume to dissipate the heat.

Let's say there's another shoulder button.

How do you play multiplayer first person shooter games? Left analog is to move. What are you using to move the camera...you can't point the NX remote to the tv because you're already holding it horizontally.

Taker666

I edited my post, maybe they can be attached to each other then it might feel ok to hold by both hands

..or they might supply a shell for the two controllers to be plugged into when in home console mode...to make one normal controller. Considering both controllers must be powered and wireless..a shell for them would cost very little as it would just be a chunk of plastic.

Xiao Hu

Perhaps you reconnect them with a power source for when the main unit is docked so you don't need to buy another controller just to play on tv.

G.ZZZ

11 inches dock. This thing's huge.

It make little sense to me though. A 6" screen is about 5" wide. The controllers are stated as being 4 cm wide. The total unit is 11"? It means that the screen has about 1 cm vertical bezels but horizontal bezels of about 3.2 cm on the sides. That look UGLY and extremely umcomfortable to hold. To keep the same volume , a 1.5 cm bezels on both sides would give you bigger and more usable controllers on the sides (like 10 cm instead of 9 and every cm count at that size for comfort) and 2.5 cm lateral bezels, making it look more balanced.

9.2 cm * 20.5 cm * 2.5 cm = 471.5 cc

10.2 cm * 18.5 cm * 2.5 cm = 471.75 cc

Image for clarity on how the prototype looks if measures are correct and how would it looks with my proposed changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom