• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uiki

Let's say there's another shoulder button.

How do you play multiplayer first person shooter games? Left analog is to move. What are you using to move the camera...you can't point the NX remote to the tv because you're already holding it horizontally.

Gyro controls probably.

Genio88

It was a prototype after all, i hope the retail version will be at least a bith thinner, i'd also like it to be smaller overall, but it that ain't possible i hope it'll be thinner so that it would fit in my bag...or I guess I'm gonna have to change bag

Compare it to other mobile devices such as your phone. Sure, games will take a lot of space, but SD cards are quite cheap nowadays. You can get 128 GB (that'll last a while) for around $35.
128 GB is fine for 3DS. But Wii U games can be 10+ GB and X1 games 40+ GB. 128 GB won't last long with that kind of numbers. 32GB with SD would be terrible for anyone wanting to go all digital. I don't care though as I'm all physical (barring digital exclusives).

AAMARMO

Banned
micro2_blue.jpg

Source:http://www.leightonmcdonald.com/nintendo-ds-micro/

If this thing has a tv-out itself, without the need of the dock to output to a tv, hmmmm. Maybe, in the end, it isn´t a hybrid, and just a handheld like most of us thought. Just with a tv out. Which would mean, we could still get an actual home console as well later on.

Now, am i jumping to conclusions? GiorgioA.TsoukalosYesIAm.jpeg. I don´t care though.

Mihos

Gold Member
Get your NX out of the backack in a park and play a bit of Spla2oon with a friend. Or at his house and plug it in the TV.

Speaking of, this guarantees split screen Spla2oon, right?

Honestly, that sounds horrible. Rather have two consoles with good wifi connection and not half a controller with a tiny screen, split in half BTW. At least the Shield had good controllers, but playing 2 player on the 7 inch tablet was a pretty bad experience.

Genio88

Yah, what extra power people wished for from dock is dead now no? Hdmi out is on the system itself.

I never believed about that extra power dock, would have been too expensive and hard use for developers, actually I guess this dock will just be a charging stand for the NX tablet and nothing more like the one available for 3DS

G.ZZZ

It also has a metal casing and more than double the screen area.

And about 30% less volume and X1 instead of Pascal and no active cooling and it goes around 7-8 W of which the screen hog 1 more which means that even if it had the exact same thermal constraints it would have 1 more W available for the SoC just from having a smaller screen and then it's 30% larger and use Pascal.

Pixel C is 850Mhz. Nintendo can clock this as low as they want, but thermal shouldn't be a problem with this absurdly big size.

If true, those detachable controllers will be super fucking nasty, no?

One side will be a D-Pad and a control stick bunched together? It looks counter-intuitive to me, or am I missing something?

It's a pretty calculated move. Make shitty controls on the first model, but make them detachable so you can sell people the revision in a few years.

jdstorm

Banned
Let's say there's another shoulder button.

How do you play multiplayer first person shooter games? Left analog is to move. What are you using to move the camera...you can't point the NX remote to the tv because you're already holding it horizontally.

pro controllers that plug into one of the 2 sub ports on the device (just a theory)

Dystify

Yah, what extra power people wished for from dock is dead now no? Hdmi out is on the system itself.

It's about you calling it "gay". Things like that aren't really mature and are offensive nowadays. It could get you banned rather quickly. You could edit your comment and remove it, just saying.

TV-out on the tablet is fitting perfectly with the idea of multiplayer on the go. You can play in the same way everywhere.

At home you put it in the dock, for convenience (and maybe additional benefits), you can play it as a tablet both SP and MP and you can go to a friend and plug it in his TV and bam, instant MP on the TV.

It will probably be just a hdmi out . This fulfills the GC handle mission , carry the system to your friends house. Great for mouth to mouth to mouth marketing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Honestly, that sounds horrible. Rather have two consoles with good wifi connection and not half a controller with a tiny screen, split in half BTW. At least the Shield had good controllers, but playing 2 player on the 7 inch tablet was a pretty bad experience.

When did the online play dissapeared? You should be still able to play Spla2oon online, each on his NX and with a full controller most likely.

It's about you calling it "gay". Things like that aren't really mature and are offensive nowadays. It could get you banned rather quickly. You could edit your comment and remove it, just saying.

Gay is offensive, I did not know. I will remove it then.

Peru

Pretty confident there will be a plastic plug to go inbetween the two controller pieces if you want to use it alone as a regular gamepad.

Uiki

But that's not intuitive at all lol.

I have to jump, move, reload, shoot, crouch and somehow move the controller while it's in my hands horizontally to move the camera?

It kinda works on 3ds.

I hate it too, but that's the only option if you have 1 stick per gamepad.

pro controllers that plug into one of the 2 sub ports on the device (just a theory)
Let's take your theory for example. Activision (Call of Duty) has to design CoD hoping NX players will all buy a pro controller because I doubt Nintendo is supplying each NX with a pro controller. How much will the NX end up costing?

It kinda works on 3ds.

I hate it too, but that's the only option if you have 1 stick per gamepad.

I feel what you're saying. I've actually never played fps games on the 3DS. If we go by this rumor and even add a button or two it looks like it could be gimped for multiplayer first person shooter games like CoD.

Alebrije

Really hope the underpower rumor becomes false, specially talking about a home console. Something below Xbone these days is lame.

fernoca

Some are acting as if they wouldn't be able to get additional controllers and will be forced to play multiplayer with the dettached controllers.

Heck, if true this will be the first gaming device in a long time that can be played by 2 people right out of the box.

And you can buy other controllers for it, like every other. :p

Pretty confident there will be a plastic plug to go inbetween the two controller pieces if you want to use it alone as a regular gamepad.

Yeah, has to be. Will probably include rumble + gyro and other elements that are also in the display section.

How comes we haven't heard anything about bumpers and trigger buttons yet?

Exactly what I've been thinking with each leak. It also makes me wonder if I should be on #TeamFAKE, though we've gone pretty far down the leakhole, no? Unless this is a controlled leak I'm guessing there is some validity.

But yeah.

Sup with them shoulder buttons? Inquiring minds want to know!

ozfunghi

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Activision (Call of Duty) has to design CoD hoping NX

Lol. Oh, the innocence of the thought that Nintendo thinks about how the other developers need to do when developing for their system.

Yeah, has to be. Will probably include rumble + gyro and other elements that are also in the display section.

Some complex rumble and motion controls are already supposed to be in the detachable controllers.

ozfunghi

Dz9fZvF.png

This pretty much means wiimote type of play is out of the question (at least with the dev unit) unless you want to slice your wrists while playing.

Why post a random picture of a 2DS mockup? Am I missing something?

I think he's looking for attention for his design, and thought this would be the best way to get some.

Lol. Oh, the innocence of the thought that Nintendo thinks about how the other developers need to do when developing for their system.
Lol you're right. I don't know why I was actually thinking Nintendo would take third party devs consideration when making the NX.

Ok I can see this NX being real like it is with maybe an extra button or two.

Oregano

Nintendo went with actual stickson the Gamelan rather than the planned circle pads based on third party feedback, most likely it was specifically Treyarch and COD that facilitated the change.

Nintendo always listens to Cancel.

G.ZZZ

Really hope the underpower rumor becomes false, specially talking about a home console. Something below Xbone these days is lame.

You're welcome to try and make a portable console with below 10W power draw to be better than a Xbone.

Hint: you can't. It's a problem of laws of physics, not even money. Until we get to substantially better nodes, something like the Xbone (which is 80W or so iirc), need 20 W or so on current nodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom