• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

wipeout364

I think this looks terrible. I can rationalize why Nintendo wants them but I feel like they will lose rigidity in the system and the ergonomics of those controllers looks terrible. I would far rather them just make the wii motes compatible or just make new optional controllers you can buy.

ggx2ac

There's no charging port mentioned on the NX slides so we're still in the dark on what type of port it uses, either proprietary or USB.

AGITΩ

Connector seems to be able to connect to the dock AND to a Tv.

vnjtfzY.png

(Source: https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/770950059987001344)
Could imply that the NX has different TV options based on the game.
If a Dev wants to make a touch heavy game for the handheld side of the NX but the user wants to see the action on the TV, they can just do TV out while still using the touch screen. [Then again the could also be circumvented if the controllers are motion and would act like gestures for the tv like fingers on the touchscreen]
Then again this could also imply 2 SKUs for the system. TV out on the controller for the simple or ona budget consumer. Dock option for consumer that prefers better performance out of their system. Like 3DS to New 3DS performance of the same games.

Menitta

I'm hoping there's a clear difference between using it as a console and using it as a handheld aside from what's essentially plugging in an HDMI cable.

Also, not liking the design.

KAL2006

Banned
Well my theory of them going for something small like Vita size goes down the drain. The portable market may get impacted by this but I'm sure Nintendo can release a Micro version down the line when chips become cheaper and smaller.

6 inch size is just about good enough for local multiplayer on a stand. So I guess they went for something that has that appeal as well.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Übermatik;215512594 said:
I just realised how HUGE 281mm wide is. For comparison, here's me holding a ruler like a gamepad at the 28.1cm mark:

vLFptYal.png

Yeah, I did a comparison, and holy fuck, this thing is wider than a Gamepad.

AntMurda

A hand held with a tv out isn't a hybrid. It's a hand held with a tv out. There has to be a console version (even with same exact hardware) for the west at least.

Oh, unless the dev kit just has all the dock internals + handheld stuff built into one unit to reduce the amount of parts required? If that's the case then the TV connector would mean that it'd just be a lead out for devs to connect to a monitor, and they don't have access to a dock yet.

Mark my words nx reveal coming very soon.

I say 12th September announcement 1 week after neo reveal and then tgs week later full reveal.

So much leaks now. Still more to come i am sure from what the true innovation will be , don't think its just mobile.

It'd be hilarious if all these rumors were not true and the NX was purely a powerful home console witha a traditional controller.

I'd actually prefer that

orioto

Good Art™
Nintendo don't have to "reveal" it anymore, we almost know everything about it at except games this point x)

If Nintendo priorities were right, the "game" part would be the biggest effect of the reveal, versus "oh my god the concept !!! and here are your usual nintendo ips with it..."

it should be "the games man, the line up, you won't believe your eyes!"

Anyway so 720p console streams directly (wirelessly with the WiiU tech ?) and the dock adds power to 1080p ?

But really guys don't be disappointed if Nintendo thinks it's perfectly ok to play 720p on a tv in 2017. Some games on XBO and PS4 are in that range, so why Nintendo, the Nintendo we know, would think that's not enough lol ?

Also for the size, don't we have a history of early dev kits bigger than the final product ?

Übermatik;215512594 said:
I just realised how HUGE 281mm wide is. For comparison, here's me holding a ruler like a gamepad at the 28.1cm mark:

vLFptYal.png

Well that would be the size of the devkit/prototype right? Hopefully they compacted that shit.

Dystify

Well, there it is. People jumping to conclusions about the dock more than the Olympic athletes.

I dunno, connecting NX to a TV without using the dock would just mean you don't have the benefits of the dock. It makes me wonder though, with this being a possibility could Nintendo offer NX without a dock? So you could buy it separately?

It'd be hilarious if all these rumors were not true and the NX was purely a powerful home console witha a traditional controller.

I'd actually prefer that

Just imagine this: NX is released, and there's no Mario, Zelda or Metroid in the launch line-up. All five launch titles are new franchises from Nintendo. The reactions would be hilarious ^_^

ggx2ac

A hand held with a tv out isn't a hybrid. It's a hand held with a tv out. There has to be a console version (even with same exact hardware) for the west at least.

What about local multiplayer at home? Surely that would make it a hybrid because no handheld currently can have multiple controllers connected to one device via Bluetooth at the moment.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It's already confirmed by the same source that the TV out connects to the dock too. Also the developer who provided this info is surely a western one, so they would know about a hypothetical console dedicated to western market.

Shiggy

Retail units are almost all the time smaller than the devkits. So these dimensions more likely won't end up as final dimensions for the retail NX.

But it tells us that NX is practically a gaming tablet which makes it very likely to run Tegra at nice clocks.

The dev kits for Wii U, Wii and 3DS (the devices you use in your hands to play) look pretty much the same as the retail units, not larger.

I'm hoping there's a clear difference between using it as a console and using it as a handheld aside from what's essentially plugging in an HDMI cable.

Also, not liking the design.

I hope so, too. Or that there is a console version on the horizon.

I'm not much of a handheld gamer, so I hope there's a compelling product for traditional console folks.

They choose to reveal a 'share' button over some info on the ergonomics of the controller pieces? Especially when detached, do they each have their own battery or does it use that 'no-battery' technology Nintendo patented recently? And does it have those scroll-wheel shoulder buttons or what? All these tiny little leaks revealing so very little info, it seems almost pointless.

There's lots of ways to look at this because you have to take into account these are just dev kits and not the final product in looks and measurements.

Clessidor

So main part is 92mm x 205 mm x 25 mm and each controller is 92mm x 38mm x 25 mm

I think holding the controller sideways should work with the thumbs. Tested once with a 105 mm x 40 mm x 12 mm remote I have and I think because of the small height it would be even more comfortable for the dumbs if the main inputs are closer to the middle than to the outside part. Only with the shoulder buttons I have no clue how they should work. In my cse they need also to be very close to the middle point.
But probably the thickness should help.

Another question about the main untit for the tech guy. What do you think about the 92mm x 205 mm x 25 mm dimension in the sense of heat, power draw, battery life and stuff?

What I don't understand is why the fuck we don't get more specific infos, since the devs seem to talk to the journalists.

So sloppy. Just spoil the fun already.

Par Score

Guys, Jesus, the size and shape of a prototype or development device can be wildly different from eventual production models.

Could the NX end up being a huge boxy monstrosity? Sure.

But even if these rumours are bang on the money about the prototype / dev kit, they don't necessarily tell us anything about the final form factor.

The device itself having TV out is pretty interesting.

What is the point of the dock then? Ability to use an external HDD?

Recharging possibly? That's all the GamePad dock did. I think one of the rumors mentioned USB ports on the dock so maybe that's where you can hook up and charge other controllers.

Regarding the size: it would have to be king of big otherwise the detachable controllers would be tiny. Whatever this thing is, as long as I can hook it up to my TV and have a comfortable controller I'll be fine.

SuperSah

Banned
If true, those detachable controllers will be super fucking nasty, no?

One side will be a D-Pad and a control stick bunched together? It looks counter-intuitive to me, or am I missing something?

Gradly

Those detachable controllers don't look comfortable to hold at all

Edit:
Or maybe they can be attached to each other as one controller?!!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
TV-out on the tablet is fitting perfectly with the idea of multiplayer on the go. You can play in the same way everywhere.

At home you put it in the dock, for convenience (and maybe additional benefits), you can play it as a tablet both SP and MP and you can go to a friend and plug it in his TV and bam, instant MP on the TV.

The dev kits for Wii U, Wii and 3DS (the devices you use in your hands to play) look pretty much the same as the retail units, not larger.

Then I have it wrong, I thought the early devkits were bigger for whatever reason.

Taker666

Dunno if I'm a fan of the SD card slot being on the same side as the TV connector. That'd also mean, to me at least, that when this thing is docked, it's upside-down, which is weird.

It would technicallly be upside down when docked...but that actually makes perfect sense.

In docked home console mode.. it means the power button, the headphone port and the cart slot are all facing upwards are not covered by the dock so all are easily accessible . The SD slot isn't something you need regular access so it doesn't matter if it's covered when docked and opviously the tv out would have to connect to the dock.

In handheld mode it means the headphone slot is at the bottom (which is the case with most game controllers) and that if you want to just plug it into the tv without the dock it means the tv out is on the side closest to the tv.

Guys, Jesus, the size and shape of a prototype or development device can be wildly different from eventual production models.

Could the NX end up being a huge boxy monstrosity? Sure.

But even if these rumours are bang on the money about the prototype / dev kit, they don't necessarily tell us anything about the final form factor.

Exactly

Nintendo-Wii-U-Development-Kit-CAT-DEV-Version-2-DRC-DK1-Collectible-Very-Rare.jpg

I really dislike the detachable controller design. I would rather a proper handheld with a 3DS or Vita like design that has it's dedicated controls and can be docked like a PSP Go for TV play with a separate controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom